Jamaica state of emergency

merknerk

Just received a text from my daughter in law and she said that because of violence in Jamaica they are in state of emergency . Only certain parts . Are warning travelers not to go outside resorts. Any ideas how this will effect cruises ? We will be sailing there in a couple of weeks with our family.

I am scheduled to go to Falmouth in April. My family is signed up for the dune buggy excursion but I am not. I signed up for the Falmouth Heritage Tour which gets high marks on TripAdvisor. Won’t I be safe with the group or should I cancel and stick to the port area. Not interested in dune buggies.

I am scheduled to go to Falmouth in April. My family is signed up for the dune buggy excursion but I am not. I signed up for the Falmouth Heritage Tour which gets high marks on TripAdvisor. Won’t I be safe with the group or should I cancel and stick to the port area. Not interested in dune buggies.

Anyone who gives you a definitive yes or no is only guessing. I wouldn't think RCCL would be stopping there, or offering these excursions if they believed there was more danger than usual. However, in the end, it's up to you to research the current situation and decide if you feel like you and your family will be safe.

When in Falmouth a few years ago, went on a zip line excursion. It was wonderful. There was a guy that always was at the back of the line and seemed "different." I asked him why he wasn't taking part in group and he said he was security. I just thought that was interesting. Didn't see a gun. I find it a very interesting place but have never gone outside the gates unless on a excursion.

Hopefully we will get a post from someone that has recently gone there. As for myself I will probably stay on the ship and encourage my family to do the same. With all of this going on I doubt that things will change in the next couple of weeks. Maybe just maybe the caption will pick another beautiful island or a sea day.

The distance between St. James Parish and Falmouth is about the same as the distance between South Chicago and Lake Forest, Compton and Beverly Hills and Brooklyn/Queens and Greenwich, CT. Not saying Falmouth compares to Lake Forest, Beverly Hills or Greenwich, but to extrapolate the issues in St. James Parish to Falmouth is a big stretch in my opinion.

Been to Europe twice. Going back in 2020. I know more what to expect there. Frankly, Europe is more civilized even with the terrorist threats.

We were in Rome last year and about every 3 blocks there was a Hum-Vee type vehicle with several heavily armed soldiers. When in London recently saw multiple armed soldiers with dogs (especially in the tube). It did make for feeling safer.

If you come into Penn Station, NY you will see military with rifles all over the place. This is just the world we live in. I'm a total wimp and scared of 'seedy' places and I felt safe at my resort in Jamaica and when I walked around Mobay from a cruise. I would never venture off and the presence of armed police actually comforts me. However, if I saw a travel warning about a town I was going to I would not chance it. I'm very cautious though.

Of course. I'm sure you recall this https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/cruiselog/2016/01/20/royal-caribbean-ship-drops-haiti-amid-protests/79056806/

You may argue that this was a single event and it may have been as far as RCI was concerned. But Haiti and Jamaica both have histories of violence and being in a "private" area is no protection at all.

Hey! I was on that trip.

If there is the need for guards with AKs that is reason enough not to bother stopping there.

There are guards with automatic weapons in front of the Louvre in Paris and at the Capitol Building in DC.

I could go on and on and on and on and on with places that are totally worth stopping at.

Jamaica, one of those places that after going once have NO desire to go back. If Jamaica was on the itinerary of another cruise I took, I would stay on the boat.

I would have agreed with this statement after my first visit. My second visit was much better - but I still see Jamaica as one of the lesser ports. I did not (two females traveling together) feel super safe there and that was on a ship-sponsored tour. Just MHO.

-Judy

Just received a text from my daughter in law and she said that because of violence in Jamaica they are in state of emergency . Only certain parts . Are warning travelers not to go outside resorts. Any ideas how this will effect cruises ? We will be sailing there in a couple of weeks with our family.

I was there 5 days ago on Carnival.

The port is inside a guarded protected area. There are police outside the port area if you go outside.

I went outside the area to several shops and no one bothered me. I felt safe, there was a strong police presence.

We were in port and Regal Princess was there.

Jamaica, one of those places that after going once have NO desire to go back. If Jamaica was on the itinerary of another cruise I took, I would stay on the boat.

Ditto. I've been 3 times, next time I'll stay on the ship.

1st time: All inclusive, DH got horrible norovirus (we've had it before, and this was way worse. He needed an IV for fluids!!!)

2nd time: Cruise. We did a fun Dunn's river excursion through the cruise line. Was great!

3rd time: Girls cruise. Didn't book anything through the cruise. Walked along the vendor area outside the port (super sketchy), and found a guy to take us to a beach (it was ok, but I wish we would have stayed on the ship)

There are guards with automatic weapons in front of the Louvre in Paris and at the Capitol Building in DC.

I could go on and on and on and on and on with places that are totally worth stopping at.

Yep. But I contend that you can be comfortable with security (visible or not) in a civilized country and maybe not on some of the islands.

We are of the same opinion. Our private excursion was O.K. nothing to write home about. But the other 4 or 5 trips we just stayed onboard...I think we went off to Margaritaville in April but thats all. We go for the Caymans only.

You do realize, that you aren't in the Country of Haiti, per say. You are on a PRIVATE island owned by the cruise line.

You do realize it's not an island? You certainly are on mainland of and in the country of Haiti. And the site is not owned, but leased by RCCL.