Ultimate Ship Tour – UTS -- Review'ish

culvercitycruiser

Different cruise lines have different rules about photography on this type tour.

a) Princess says no photos, but if you bring a camera and ask as you go along, you can take photos in some areas including the Bridge. Definitely not in the Engine Control Room.

I recently took the tour on the Star Princess, and I asked about taking pictures in the Engine Control Room and was quickly granted permission. Based on things I had read here on CC, I didn't bother asking about pictures on the bridge - I figured it wouldn't be allowed.

I was surprised permission wasn't granted for photos in the galley's provisioning area, although photos were allowed in the galley itself. And also no photos backstage.

On the Star in 2015, we received the thick terry cloth robe. Thankfully, we drove to the port, so just another thing to carry off the ship.

Were you actually taken to the crew mess, or did they just talk about there being different ones? We did not get to see them on our tour.

We stood in the hallway and got to peak instead through the doorway but did not walk around the three different rooms. I took it as privacy since this would have been their break.

Typically, the jail (brig in nautical terms) is merely a small room off the Security Office. About 6 x 10, bunk, sink, toilet.

Question for OP. I don't see mention of the Engine Control Room, doesn't Princess go there on the tour? For me, that would be a deal breaker, but then again, I would prefer to spend the whole tour there nattering with the Chief.

The control room was having maintenance done so we did not get to go there. We spent about 10-20 minutes at each location. The galley (huge with lots of areas) and medical (lots of questions) locations took up more time than some of the others. There is a set schedule and time allotted for each location.

I recently took the tour on the Star Princess, and I asked about taking pictures in the Engine Control Room and was quickly granted permission. Based on things I had read here on CC, I didn't bother asking about pictures on the bridge - I figured it wouldn't be allowed.

I was surprised permission wasn't granted for photos in the galley's provisioning area, although photos were allowed in the galley itself. And also no photos backstage.

I followed the rules and left my camera and cell phone in the cabin. The letter was very clear about them. I did not want to have to deal with having to collect it at the end if they took them. No one asked to take photos. The next time, I will bring my iPhone with me and see about taking photos.

We stood in the hallway and got to peak instead through the doorway but did not walk around the three different rooms. I took it as privacy since this would have been their break.

Typically, there will be a "European" crew mess, an "Asian" crew mess, and a "duty mess" where those who don't interact with the guests can come in something other than a spotless uniform (think of the engine guys). There will also typically be a "petty officer's" mess (senior crew and junior officers), and an officer's mess. Frequently the engineering officers will eat in the duty mess, as they don't want to have to change out of their coveralls to eat and then go back to work.

I followed the rules and left my camera and cell phone in the cabin. The letter was very clear about them. I did not want to have to deal with having to collect it at the end if they took them. No one asked to take photos. The next time, I will bring my iPhone with me and see about taking photos.

I understand about following rules. I use my phone for a watch onboard, which is why I had it with me. If no pictures were allowed, my "watch" would have remained in my pocket. I never would have tried to sneak any pictures.

I have been on the UST on several Princess ships and and I just ask the Captain if it is OK to take pictures on the Bridge and the answer has always been yes.

Odd about the restriction on photos backstage. I have been on a number of backstage tours that are not a part of the UST (they used to offer a free backstage tour on every cruise) and was always allowed to take pictures there.

He was very upset though when others were invited to take pictures on the tour when the written guidelines for the tour that he received prior to the tour stated... absolutely no pictures. He would have taken his camera had he of known.

I COMPLETELY agree. We did the UST and I obeyed the instructions to not bring a camera*, yet the first stop was the bridge and someone asked if they could take pictures and the captain said absolutely. I was pissed, and frankly still am. I've contemplated how to do the UST again and take a camera, even if it's only for that first stop (i.e. have my wife meet me somewhere and take the camera off my hands).

* This meant we left all five cameras in the room...yes, we're serious about enjoying our photography addiction while cruising.

Thanks for the informative review. I wondered what they included on that tour. A related story is that a few years ago DW and I got a below deck tour on HAL's small Prinsendam (800 passenger ship). The tour was free and done by a senior officer who was a friend. We walked by a closed door and he told us that it was the morgue and could hold 3 bodies. Next door we went into the small florist shop which was kept very chilly to preserve some of the flowers. As we were leaving the Officer explained that if the Morgue was full...the florist shop was used as the back-up :).

But I have a question for the OP (or anyone who has taken the tour). Princess seems to have several different variations of their robes. On our last cruise (a Concierge Cabin on the Regal) our robes were so small that it barely would close around my waist (and I am only 36 inch). On other cruises we have had plush robes. What is the size and quality of the robes they give you after the tour?

Hank

Thanks for the informative review. I wondered what they included on that tour. A related story is that a few years ago DW and I got a below deck tour on HAL's small Prinsendam (800 passenger ship). The tour was free and done by a senior officer who was a friend. We walked by a closed door and he told us that it was the morgue and could hold 3 bodies. Next door we went into the small florist shop which was kept very chilly to preserve some of the flowers. As we were leaving the Officer explained that if the Morgue was full...the florist shop was used as the back-up :).

But I have a question for the OP (or anyone who has taken the tour). Princess seems to have several different variations of their robes. On our last cruise (a Concierge Cabin on the Regal) our robes were so small that it barely would close around my waist (and I am only 36 inch). On other cruises we have had plush robes. What is the size and quality of the robes they give you after the tour?

Hank

The robe is the waffle type polyester material, not plush. The same one you get in a regular cabin (non-suite). The one size fits all, just does not fit well if you are larger or smaller. My 24 year old son is very slim (sadly like I used to be) and it wraps around him almost twice. It fits me ok, but if I gain on the cruise it could be a little on the showy side.

The medical area has room for three bodies. They did not mention storage for a fourth body, nor did anyone ask about it.

The robe is the waffle type polyester material, not plush. The same one you get in a regular cabin (non-suite). The one size fits all, just does not fit well if you are larger or smaller. My 24 year old son is very slim (sadly like I used to be) and it wraps around him almost twice. It fits me ok, but if I gain on the cruise it could be a little on the showy side.

The medical area has room for three bodies. They did not mention storage for a fourth body, nor did anyone ask about it.

I'm still interested in whether or not you got to the Engine Control Room, as some others have mentioned. Just wondering if this is a standard part of the tour or not.

And another fun fact about the morgue, the refrigerated drawers are more commonly used to store the crew's drug testing urine samples between ports.

On our Star tour in November, we went to the engine control room. I actually thought we were going where the engines were, which I would have LOVED to see!

Well, if you thought the stairwells in the crew area were steep, the engine ladders are far steeper, and narrower. In addition, the noise level is such that unless you've had some years of experience in engine rooms, nothing can be communicated (yelling, gesticulating, pointing, charades). The heat can also be dangerous for those not ready for it, typically in the Caribbean or equal climes, the engine room will be 135*F. Finally, add in hot surfaces and sharp edges and you get an insurance underwriter's nightmare to allow passengers in there. Don't feel bad, no one but engineering personnel are permitted in the engine spaces, they are restricted access spaces to 90% of the crew as well.

I'm still interested in whether or not you got to the Engine Control Room, as some others have mentioned. Just wondering if this is a standard part of the tour or not.

And another fun fact about the morgue, the refrigerated drawers are more commonly used to store the crew's drug testing urine samples between ports.

The OP mentioned that they did not see the Control Room due to maintenence being done.

I think things have changed recently. We did the UST on the crown in 2013 and the robes we had were there thick plush ones so warm and snug and still being used! We had 7 photos and also a stationery pad printed with our names along with photo frame and apron for each of us. We also saw the staff mess area and control room. Would do it again on a different ship it was 4 hours well spent.

I think things have changed recently. We did the UST on the crown in 2013 and the robes we had were there thick plush ones so warm and snug and still being used! We had 7 photos and also a stationery pad printed with our names along with photo frame and apron for each of us. We also saw the staff mess area and control room. Would do it again on a different ship it was 4 hours well spent.

I did get the personal stationery pad as well. I forgot about it since I had so much extra stuff to pack up.

My name at the top and Ruby Princess at the bottom.

It seemed like we got a gift from each location where someone spoke to us. Either a gift or photo

Thank you for your excellent narrative !

We signed up for the UST as soon as we boarded the Emerald Princess, and we really enjoyed it. We were supposed to see the mooring section, but it was undergoing maintenance. However, we did visit the theatre, the costume room, the laundry room, the galley, where we met with the executive chef, the cold storage rooms, the workspace of the provisions officer who orders all the food, the print shop, the engine control room which is fascinating, the bridge, where we met with the captain and the second officer, and the Adagio Bar, where the assistant cruise director explained what life was like on board as a crew member.

We received 6 photos, a photo album, a pad of stationery with our name printed on it, the white waffle cotton spa-style robe, and a Princess checkered apron in shades of blue. I would strongly recommend this tour. It is worth the cost.

Just an advisement - The tour is physically strenuous. You will be standing up for 3 hours straight, plus walking up and down numerous staircases. The crew advised us at each location that photos were strictly prohibited. -- EBC

I just did it on my voyage in December on the Crown and we definitely went to the Engine Control Room. That and the mooring deck were the best parts of the tour. The Medical Center was boring (and germy -- I couldn't wait to get out of there! But in fairness, I feel the same about any medical venue), so glad we dispensed [pun; get it?] with that first. The views from the bridge are stunningly awesome. And on the Crown, there was a giant (well, life-sized) stuffed penguin standing at the window looking out over the bow. It was an unexpected touch of whimsy -- unexpected mostly because Captain Lubrano didn't seem to be a very whimsical fellow.