Wanted: Opinion from the experts

SeaSickCecil

Hi all. I'm not a HAL neophyte and am considering booking the Premier voyage of the Nieuw Statandam TA. However, I just read a thread about problems with the first cruise post dry dock where someone (or several someones) mentioned they wouldn't sail first post dry dock OR the Premier voyage of a ship due to possible shake down problems which might effect ship functions. I'd book being aware there might be some glitches, but wonder if I'd do better to wait. The thought of sailing on a new ship and having 9 sea days to explore her is intriguing.

So, please give me your opinions. I'd especially be interested in hearing from people who sailed on the Kdam's maiden voyage.

Thanks so much

Rachel

We sailed on the premier sailing of the Koningsdam and loved it! The fact that this is a TA makes it even better!!! We are booked on the NS and can't wait. Life is full of hiccups, glitches and "stuff". The opportunity to be the first official guests on a ship, to explore where no others have gone ..... that floats my boat! Go with an open mind and a fun heart! The ship will be full of fun and happy HAL cruisers!

I am glad you asked this question because I had been pondering that sailing as well. My main hesitation lies in any delays to the sailing date. Our schedules are so tight that we would be forced to cancel. Would love to do a maiden voyage but it will have to wait until we're retired, I'm afraid.

There may be and will be some shake down issues.

But the main reason for not go: the degradation of the HAL product.

The new Pinnacle class ships (Koningsdam) is a big step down from the level that was achieved with the Signature class.

We have been sailing with HAL since the late 1990s. There have been some compromises on services, but overall, HAL still offers the best quality for the money. We sailed Norway on the Koningsdam and loved her. We have not seen a “big step down”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The new Pinnacle class ships (Koningsdam) is a big step down from the level that was achieved with the Signature class.

I completely disagree. I think the Koningsdam is an improvement over the prior class of ships in every way. We booked a Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Statendam for Jan. 20 - 30. We figure they will have had a month or so to work out any initial kinks. At least we hope so.

I am glad you asked this question because I had been pondering that sailing as well. My main hesitation lies in any delays to the sailing date. Our schedules are so tight that we would be forced to cancel. Would love to do a maiden voyage but it will have to wait until we're retired, I'm afraid.

Hi Miss G. Yes, I was also concerned about this as people are already discussing it on the Roll Call. I could swing a date change, but worry about having to book international flights...the Kdam was delayed two months..I can't hang around Rome for that long waiting for the ship to be ready :D. Roll Call participants have been discussing booking air through Flight Ease (HAL) so that they would re-arrange the flights. We've always booked our own flights so not sure how that would go.

Hopefully we'll meet on board!

Rachel

I've sailed all the different class ships except Pinnacle (including my favorite to date the Pdam) and know what's gone and what I still love about HAL. That's why the thought of trying the newest ship is so exciting. Thanks for your thoughts.

Rachel

We sailed on the premier sailing of the Koningsdam and loved it! The fact that this is a TA makes it even better!!! We are booked on the NS and can't wait. Life is full of hiccups, glitches and "stuff". The opportunity to be the first official guests on a ship, to explore where no others have gone ..... that floats my boat! Go with an open mind and a fun heart! The ship will be full of fun and happy HAL cruisers!

Thank you for this boze9999. We're not fussy travelers...so a few glitches and hiccups aren't going to bother us (unless the toilet doesn't work..that would be pretty bad). I, too, like the idea of being first and hope that maybe HAL would do something special for us 'first timers'.

I'm thinking hard about it...it's the possibility of a delay in sailing date and the need to procure international flights with a possible change in dates that has me the most worried.

Hope I'll meet you on board.

Rachel

This is, of course, only your opinion. My DH and I love Koningsdam! Beautiful ship, good food and typically excellent HAL service. Not one thing to complain about. We're booked on Prinsendam for our next HAL cruise, so our tastes are quite varied and we tend to not have huge expectations.

Inaugural cruises are exciting.

You have the new ship smell, the sense of newness, being the first on the ship, etc.

They also carry risks - things that may need to be fixed/finished, crew that hasn't been working together yet so they may not have melded, etc.

There are those that won't do an inaugural and those that will forgive some of the burps for the excitement they bring.

We did one inaugural (just the TA) but for that they had nearly a complete crew change. Service was bad for the first few days until everyone got their "stuff" together.

There are pluses and minuses to them. For some, the excitement of being on a brand new ship is the plus. For others, it doesn't outweigh the minuses ;)

I agree with Lady Arwen. ronbe65 has expressed a similar "Debbie Downer" attitude several times about the new Celebrity ship, which doesn't even sail until November. And ronbe65's opinion is off topic. I loved K-dam and would love to sail the first cruise, glitches and all!

My concern would be how many travel agents/reps would be onboard - we were on a cruise where there was a large agency group onboard - I found that a lot of the. felt they were to be catered to, and there quite a few public venues closed off for this large group. Please note it was not a HAL cruise.

Perhaps if you arranged air with HAL flightease, flex fare is payable at the time of cruise final payment. if there were any changes, perhaps HAL would absorb the change fee in airfare.

Real simple. If YOU are nervous about it, don't go. Otherwise, enjoy the adventure.

BUT, don't ruin it for everyone else!

I'm not sure what nerve I struck with you. I asked for opinions and you have decided to attack me...I didn't say I was nervous, and I don't think my going or not going would ruin it for the other 2500 people on the ship. If I weren't willing to enjoy the adventure I wouldn't even be looking at this cruise or any cruise. I have tried to answer the negative comments politely, but as usual on CC, that is taken as weakness and only encourages more attacks.

So, I guess the question back to you is: Are you going on this cruise, or are you going to let my question ruin it for you?

I'd like to say thank you to everyone except ronbe65 and Tennessee Titan for staying on topic, providing your positive comments and addressing what might be expected on a new ship. I've learned so much on CC, especially that any topic, no matter how mundane will bring out the HAL bashers, the flame throwers and the just plan nasty. But I do keep coming back and risking it for those of you who are kind and are willing to share your knowledge. The majority of this conversation has been very helpful and encouraging. I'm going to be keeping my eye on this cruise and may see some of you on the NS in December.

Happy cruising.

I think it would be awesome to be on this cruise, go with an open mind and enjoy, things can happen in the best of circumstances. When I retire in the very near future, I plan to be on a few of these new ship cruises....have fun.

Delayed/altered itinerary is probably the major caveat. I recall booking a lovely MSC first sailing - from Rome to New York in October 2010. About three weeks before sailing we were notified of "itinerary modification": Bremerhaven to New York. Somehow the North Sea in October did not quite seem the equal of the Mediterranean. Fortunately, we were able to keep our plan for about a week in Rome - and book close to last minute on Noordam to Fort Lauderdale.

I've heard of a number of cases of such modifications of maiden sailings.

I'd like to say thank you to everyone except ronbe65 and Tennessee Titan for staying on topic, providing your positive comments and addressing what might be expected on a new ship. I've learned so much on CC, especially that any topic, no matter how mundane will bring out the HAL bashers, the flame throwers and the just plan nasty. But I do keep coming back and risking it for those of you who are kind and are willing to share your knowledge. The majority of this conversation has been very helpful and encouraging. I'm going to be keeping my eye on this cruise and may see some of you on the NS in December.

Happy cruising.

Well, I for one, am so jealous of you being on this cruise! I know you'll have a fantastic time. Please pay no attention to those that just love to try to bring you down. I've been there myself, so you're not alone. Wishing you fair winds and following seas.