Phone agent was deceitful

woopuppy

I had a similar experience but with a travel agent. Its really hard to understand what is refundable, gets carried over to another cruise or gets lost. I also got a bunch of mean comments about it here. I felt the same way about never cruising them again. But then I went on the cruise and I was pleasantly surprised by how great it was across the board. I just booked another cruise with them through the website. My hatred could hold up through the otherwise great experience. Hopefully you will discover the same thing!

I really suggest you call even though it is much later. We had an issue of having to cancel a cruise we had booked with early saver. I knew we would only get the deposit applied to a future cruise and that was fine. But when I called back to rebook, their records showed that I had not cancelled, I just failed to pay. I was able to provide the date and approximate time of when I had called my PVP and they did check the call and gave me back my credit. This was a good year later. It's worth a try.

I never book a cruise with a non refundable deposit, ever. I always book online so I can read all the terms and I make sure to get the facts on the deposit before booking because it's important to me. I would never take a verbal confirmation, I would get it in writing first.

If you booked online, when you click the Early Saver rate, a pop up appears that explains the terms and conditions before you complete the booking.

Sorry this happened, I hope your son gets to go and you have a fabulous cruise.

Blame is a moot point, and there's no advantage in blaming the OP a this point. Rather, I'll try to be helpful in this situation.

OP, here's the good news. Hopefully, your price will drop, and any penalty you incur will be offset by price drop OBC. I would definitely keep an eye on price for your room category and submit any and all forms for that price reduction.

I hope you have a great cruise. And, I hope that the cancellation situation doesn't happen and you all get to go...with OBC!

I did not bash Carnival. I just said this was my first and last Carnival cruise. The "bashing" as you put it was with the agent. Before you accuse a person of bashing get your facts straight.

No, you're totally bashing a complete cruise line based off of ONE individual. Have you tried contacting anyone at Carnival to try and rectify the issue? If you have not even made an attempt to let them correct it, then you have zero room to distrust the company as a whole.

Yeah they kinda are and I don't have any issue with the answers being provided. Everyone keeps saying I am to blame also and I have said that I DO TAKE SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITY for this. I purposely book with an agent because of not understanding a lot of the language used on websites so YES I DO HOLD THE AGENT RESPONSIBLE TOO. I have not and will not "BASH" Carnival. All I have said is that I will not cruise Carnival again and if that offends anyone then suck it up. I have "BASHED" the agent. There was deceit on the agents part when he lied to me.

I am done with Cruise Critic. It is pathetic that a person can not post something without it being taken apart and only what people feel is wrong is picked apart and totally taken out of context. After this post I am deleting my account.

To the few people who actually stated some useful things thank you.

So now because a number of replies to your post, you are now grouping cruise critic as a whole into being a bad site. Sorry, but it sounds like you have issues determining who to blame. If I were you I would never turn on another computer or use the internet because the evil computer allowed you to use the evil internet to come to the evil cruise critic site that the evil members comment on.

. I always book by phone and then manage my booking online. .

OK, since you are competent enough to manage your booking online, is there a reason why you didn't book your cruise online to begin with? The situation could easily have been avoided if you relied on yourself instead of calling.

Edited by sfaaa

Yeah they kinda are and I don't have any issue with the answers being provided. Everyone keeps saying I am to blame also and I have said that I DO TAKE SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITY for this. I purposely book with an agent because of not understanding a lot of the language used on websites so YES I DO HOLD THE AGENT RESPONSIBLE TOO. I have not and will not "BASH" Carnival. All I have said is that I will not cruise Carnival again and if that offends anyone then suck it up. I have "BASHED" the agent. There was deceit on the agents part when he lied to me.

I am done with Cruise Critic. It is pathetic that a person can not post something without it being taken apart and only what people feel is wrong is picked apart and totally taken out of context. After this post I am deleting my account.

I agree there are many posts on here that are being rude to you. It's a really strange culture on these Carnival boards that if anyone disagrees with anything Carnival does or complains about anything really, they can be guaranteed to be attacked. Its like everyone on these boards must have some shares in Carnival stock or something lol. Anyway, that's so frustrating when something gets book differently than what you asked. I disagree with those saying you should have checked. Although I agree it's a good practice, it is the PVP's job to properly book, not your job to make sure they know how to do their job. Anyway, bottom line, you only lose $50 of the deposit. The balance is applied to a future cruise credit and that is transferrable so if you don't plan to go on another cruise with Carnival, you can transfer it to someone who does.

It's a really strange culture on these Carnival boards that if anyone disagrees with anything Carnival does or complains about anything really, they can be guaranteed to be attacked. Its like everyone on these boards must have some shares in Carnival stock or something lol.

It usually happens when the pot calls the kettle black. ;)

And yes, I do own Carnival stock but that has nothing to do with this situation. ;p

I agree there are many posts on here that are being rude to you. It's a really strange culture on these Carnival boards that if anyone disagrees with anything Carnival does or complains about anything really, they can be guaranteed to be attacked.

In this situation OP brought it upon themselves by being deceitful in their first post about someone else being deceitful. Originally the story was that they booked and then right after the booking they checked and realized the prob. It was quickly brought up that it could be remedied in a number of ways. They OP mentioned that they booked several months before they checked their booking. Then despite multiple posts suggesting they call carnival to see if it can be remedied the OP didn’t seem to do that. Makes you wonder if they actually believed they were lied to in the first place vs just venting that they didn’t like being booked early saver.

I had a situation a few years back where I really was lied to at a rental car company. Booked a car online. Agent sold me on an upgrade for $50 for the week. He printed out a contract for me that said $50 for the total charge. Go to return it and they said that that price was wrong and it should have been $80, so they were going to charge me $80. When I pulled out my contract it turned out that one line had upgrade $10 x 5 days then $50 in big print after that. Well, my rental was for 8 days. So the only plausible explanation is that he lied about the rate (which he did verbally) and manipulated the contract so it showed the wrong price.

Do you think I came onto a travel forum to say that they suck? Well, I did after the fact; but immediately afterwards I filed for a charge back, complained to corporate, and filed with the BBB. My complaint was quickly addressed and rectified.

I felt for the OP originally because if you don’t know that carnival offers a non-refundable rate, they don’t do enough to tell you that when ‘early saver’ pops up. But OP booked with a person who should have explained the terms. But once OP started changing their story around it become harder to believe they were actually describing the situation accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure what was discussed with agent, TL;DR, but I've seen people ask one thing and mean another. People confuse ability to cancel with getting refund. And sometimes people hear what you they want, though may not be what was said. My experience is agents do not actively seeking deceive anyone.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I have not and will not "BASH" Carnival. All I have said is that I will not cruise Carnival again and if that offends anyone then suck it up. I have "BASHED" the agent. There was deceit on the agents part when he lied to me.

Hi

For those of you who are still addressing the OP...read his last post. He is quite critical with the way we (cruise critic contributors) responded to his concerns and has deleted his account. Or are you thinking that he still may be lurking to gain some additional insights.

I have had this situation a number of times both when booking directly with Carnival and also with online TAs. I never book ES rates and am very clear at booking that the rate must be refundable and permit changes without penalty.

I’ve had two future cruise bookings made on separate trips that were supposed to be Past Guest rates and were made under ES. (This was a few years ago when future cruises can be booked onboard with non ES rates)

Both times, I caught the error immediately, and asked the onboard agent to correct. One time, I was told it was fixed and I paid the incremental price increase. The other time, I was told it couldn’t be fixed onboard and I needed to call Carnival when I got home. It took multiple escalation calls to a customer service manager to fix... and then to restore the FC onboard credit.

The most frustrating case was the one that was corrected onboard. Eventhough, the booking was clearly paid with the Past Guest cost, it was still flagged as an ES rate. This one was absolute Hell to have fixed as they needed to get I/T involved.

When a similar situation occurred with a TA, I ended up cancelling and successfully disputing the penalty with the credit card bank. I do not use that TA anymore and do not book with any TA who provides a quote suspicously close to an ES rate.

Anyway, I definately understand the frustration of the OP. I can’t say if these were intentional deceitful acts or not, but definately frustrating to correct, even when pointed out immediately.

Hi

For those of you who are still addressing the OP...read his last post. He is quite critical with the way we (cruise critic contributors) responded to his concerns and has deleted his account. Or are you thinking that he still may be lurking to gain some additional insights.

IMO, lurking. At least there is nothing next to his/her name showing their account was deleted.

This is our first cruise on Carnival. We have always cruised NCL. I always book by phone and then manage my booking online. We booked our cruise for next January with an agent on the phone. He gave us a price and I accepted it. I asked him if our deposit was refundable since my son may not be able to go and would cancel well before final payment. He told me that is was not to worry. After the booking I went online to make sure everything was good on the bookings. I found out that he booked us the Early Savers rate that means my deposit isn't refundable and it is a penalty instead. The agent lied to me and I have no recourse on this. I am basically out the deposit for my son if he can't go. I will say this will be my first and last cruise on Carnival. The agent was deceitful to say the least.

They will tell you anything to get you to book but you should know better,