What? Carnival got rid of this too?

scubamommy!

Well said, I heartily agree!

An hour would be a nice dinner length - some time to enjoy while not restricting one from other evening entertainments onboard.

Sadly, dining teams are shrinking and service has, in our recent experiences, been slowing. To a crawl.

We got lucky last month on the Magic. We were in and out of the MDR in under 45 minutes every single night. It was PERFECT. I even commented on that in our post-cruise survey of how nice it was and how it was the best MDR experience we'd ever had. If every cruise could get us out in under 45 minutes it'd make for a much more enjoyable experience in the MDR.

It’s actually the opposite. The old way was that the waiters would have a basket that they would come around with and ask you if you wanted bread. The new way is that they leave a basket of bread on your table so that you can just help yourself. Much more convenient and less work for the waiters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, it is NOT!

Table cloth is gone for normal dining, bread basket is still there and they change around the bread it seems during the cruise for what they put in it.

Picture of us at the table from April cruise and we had no issues with the table arrangements or no table cloth.

dinner.jpg

Of course it is. The old was was being served piece by piece by wait staff. The new way is a basket on the table.

Of course it is NOT.

How long have you been cruising with Carnival?

Have you been cruising Carnival long enough to remember the old days when a basket of

warm rolls covered by a cloth napkin was placed on your table the moment you were seated?

Of course it is NOT.

Have you been cruising Carnival long enough to remember the old days when a basket of

warm rolls covered by a cloth napkin was placed on your table the moment you were seated?

I thought they served you a piece of bread and then left the basket at the table.

Table cloth is gone for normal dining, bread basket is still there and they change around the bread it seems during the cruise for what they put in it.

Picture of us at the table from April cruise and we had no issues with the table arrangements or no table cloth.

dinner.jpg

I noticed from your signature you have a 2 day "stop" in Cabo on one of your upcoming cruises. In May

we did something similar but it was an actual overnight stay in Puerto Vallarta on the Splendor. We also

did it once in Cabo but the ship actually sails out of Cabo at night and returns the following morning because

if I am not mistaken (and I could be), Cabo operates as a "day port".

Of course it is NOT.

14 years. Old way was served when seated and another service before the entree. The assistant waiter had a large basket and would go from table to table within their serving section.

14 years. Old way was served when seated and another service before the entree. The assistant waiter had a large basket and would go from table to table within their serving section.

Then you really DO NOT remember (nor have first-hand experience of) the old way.

Of course it is NOT.

Just looked at honeymoon picture from 2/1980 on Carnival Mardi Gras and bread basket was on the table.

Carnival was late to the party on this. You won't find them on Royal or similar cruise lines, either.

On the bread basket we have always had on the table, and I do like the cranberry something breads. Delish. And you can still get real butter packets.

Do you have to ask for the butter packets? I used to love the European butter that was served on Carnival cruises, but on the Horizon last month they served whipped butter in a little dish on the table. Really missed the "real" butter. So you are saying you can ask for the real butter?

Do you use a table cloth for every meal at home?

Tablecloth or placemats for every meal.

Put me down in the category of those who have no plans to eat the tablecloth.

So you keep you close your eyes when sitting down to eat? Every bite a surprise. :)

I gotta admit....it came as a surprise to me when I took my first Carnival cruise last year and saw the MDR tables without tablecloths. I thought it really cheapened the look and feel of the MDR.

But then the waiters jumped up on the tables to dance the Macarena and I realized the MDR experience wasn't all that fancy to begin with. ;)

Do you have to ask for the butter packets? I used to love the European butter that was served on Carnival cruises, but on the Horizon last month they served whipped butter in a little dish on the table. Really missed the "real" butter. So you are saying you can ask for the real butter?

The whipped butter is "real" butter, it's just whipped to make it spreadable.

You can ask for the packets if you prefer though.

Lots of bread...as much as you want. Alas, no tablecloths. I'm not a clothing nut. I really don't care what people wear but when you consider how some people dress for dinner (especially on the casual nights) the tablecloths seem to be out of place.

dinner.jpg

Looks like y'all had a grand time! We also enjoyed our MDR time on the Ecstasy this past April. So much did we like the food and other aspects of the cruise we are going on the same ship and with the same itinerary in 48 days.

I really do not understand what is the big deal with the elimination of the tablecloths. For those of you who cruised without them, did it really matter and if it did, are you kidding me? Now if they eliminated the mints on the pillows, that would be something to be outraged about!

I really do not understand what is the big deal with the elimination of the tablecloths. For those of you who cruised without them' date=' did it really matter and if it did, are you kidding me? Now if they eliminated the mints on the pillows, that would be something to be outraged about!

Prepare to be outraged. They're gone.

Do you use a table cloth for every meal at home?

for company and special occasions. So I do miss it on the ship. I also get changed for dinner every night on the shop. I don't do that at home.

for company and special occasions. So I do miss it on the ship. I also get changed for dinner every night on the shop. I don't do that at home.

Special occasions would be akin to Elegant night and on those nights they have table cloths.