Marina now

janecambridge

There had to be some kind of virus on board from Miami. Two days out and DW developed a nasty cough that got worse. By day six she went to the medical center. They did every test imaginable including Mono. Mono? Really? Results were "inconclusive but not noro". We knew it wasn't noro because we had it on a previous cruise. Anyway, she was administered three medications via IV along with several other prescription medications. She was fine after a week. (Total bill for services is around $12K. Yep, $12K. Primary and secondary insurance will cover most of the cost.)

We observed that several other passengers had gauze bandages covering the IV, so DW wasn't the only person with an "issue".

Also, two ounce bottles of Germstar spray were to delivered to each cabin by about day twelve. Interesting action if nothing was wrong.

Could be from Miami, but we did the crossing from Barcelona a few weeks before and everything and everybody on the ship was PERFECT. Don't know, just saying. :):):)

Germstar spray was delivered to every cabin except yours! :D

But seriously, I don't know if they were delivered to every cabin but we walked by several service carts that had cases of the stuff. We assumed they were being delivered to every cabin.

Nope never saw them and no one who we met on tours etc said they had them!!

Nope never saw them and no one who we met on tours etc said they had them!!

How often does the subject of having a bottle of hand sanitizer come up?

Never mind, I can just picture the imagined conversation.......

tropical-sunset-1080P-wallpaper-middle-size.jpg

"Millicent, isn't that tropical Sunset absolutely glorious?"

"Yes, Geraldine, but it is nothing that I have not seen before.

The hue is reminiscent of my bottle of Germstar."

71l3oGJf8CL._AC_UL320_SR300,320_.jpg

We are sailing on the Marina in April and agree with one who said that the sanitizers are a reminder as they have always been for us who regularly head for our cabin to use hot soapy water to washhands and avoid hand to mouth contact. (yn)

Noro is a “Virus” and there are many other contagious “bacterial” gastric illnesses that sanitizers may help in the prevention of spreading.

I cant imagine anyone with any sort of gastro symptoms hitting the hot tub – but agree with another- the idea of a public hot tub/spa has never appealed to me for all these reasons.:p

Edited by jakes47

... also remember that tropical climates are rebound for tummy bugs - food, heat, humidity. From a West Aussie perspective whose kids have traveled to Bali (it is almost a right of passage for our teens) "Bali Belly" is very real - but has become a little better in recent years.

Edited by jakes47

We are sailing on the Marina in April and agree with one who said that the sanitizers are a reminder as they have always been for us who regularly head for our cabin to use hot soapy water to washhands and avoid hand to mouth contact. (yn)

Noro is a “Virus” and there are many other contagious “bacterial” gastric illnesses that sanitizers may help in the prevention of spreading.

I cant imagine anyone with any sort of gastro symptoms hitting the hot tub – but agree with another- the idea of a public hot tub/spa has never appealed to me for all these reasons.:p

For the last 10 days of the cruise,we stopped using the pool,hot tubs and gym.All these things added to our miserable time.

It is amazing that adults had to be reminded to wash their hands often and use the sanitizers.

Once the "unidentified illness" was disclosed, Oceania started running an infomercial on channel 2 that demonstrated how a person should wash their hands. "Wash your hands with hot soapy water and sing Happy Birthday twice." :confused:

In addition, attendants were assigned to guard the two entrances to Terrace Cafe and direct passengers to use the sanitizers!

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

There had to be some kind of virus on board from Miami. Two days out and DW developed a nasty cough that got worse. By day six she went to the medical center. They did every test imaginable including Mono. Mono? Really? Results were "inconclusive but not noro". We knew it wasn't noro because we had it on a previous cruise. Anyway, she was administered three medications via IV along with several other prescription medications. She was fine after a week. (Total bill for services is around $12K. Yep, $12K. Primary and secondary insurance will cover most of the cost.)

Just wondering, the fact that Oceania's doctor charges such high (exorbitant ? justifiable/unjustifiable? obscene?) fees

for treatment, would that not discourage passengers who are ill to come forward to see them for treatment? If someone , say, is suffering from any disease , and did not see the doctor because of fear of being charged so much, would the cruise line's practice of charging that level of fees for treatment make it less favourable for maintaining the health and well-being of everyone on board?

Wonder if $$$ is more important than the health of everyone on the ship? Or am I missing something?

I won't blame shipping companies to charge high prices when passengers are on board when they are well, it is a business after all, but to do that when someone is sick, seems to be taking making profit a bit too far. Or do others not agree?

On a slightly different , but perhaps , related question.....I wonder what would the travel insurance feel if someone falls ill on a cruise, would they agree instead of seeing the cruise ship's doctor , when the ship docks on a stopover port, that he calls the insurance to find a local doctor in their recommmended contact list, and perhaps leave the ship. And if he/she then gets better, to fly back home early rather than staying on the ship till the end of the cruise. The passenger would not be enjoying himself/herself if he/she stays on board anyway. That way, it might cost the travel insurance less, assuming they would agree to cover for the fees charged by Oceania. Just a thought. Has anyone asked their travel insurance about this?

Another thought, perhaps the cruise company could offer a CRUISE TRAVEL INSURANCE itself to cover all charges on board, etc.?

Discuss?

Edited by Gnoelj

Have you ever seen a bill from your hospital stay or ER to your insurance company? They are staggering indeed. Most of us don’t see them as our insurance gets billed directly (and they pay only a small portion of those charges according to contracted pricing).

What the ship is doing is sending you the bill as they don’t deal with your insurance company; your insurance will cover these charges but they are probably very much in line with what your local ER/hospital would charge you if you didn’t have insurance.

JMO

Edited by Paulchili

Have you ever seen a bill from your hospital stay or ER to your insurance company? They are staggering indeed. Most of us don’t see them as our insurance gets billed directly (and they pay only a small portion of those charges according to contracted pricing).

What the ship is doing is sending you the bill as they don’t deal with your insurance company; your insurance will cover these charges but they are probably very much in line with what your local ER/hospital would charge you if you didn’t have insurance.

JMO

What hospital bill? You seem to be assuming every passenger on Oceania come from the US.

In the UK, if you use the National Health Service, there is absolutely NO CHARGE. So, the bill to use the hospital or to see the doctor is ZERO.

(In England and Wales, sometimes, they charge you for prescribed medication, sometimes not, and in Scotland, even prescription medication is free!)

When we have to use the dentist (on the NHS), the dentist will give us a list of different treatments with different charges(NHS pays a portion, and you pay the other portion, something like that).

Does the doctor on the cruise line have a list of different charges for different treatments so that if the passenger/patient do not want that treatment, he/she can refuse it? Just wondering.

What I do not understand is that why do the cruise lines not sell their own cruise insurance? That would create additional profits for the company, and give their passengers a peace of mind - no shocking doctor's bills if you fall ill . It's a win-win situation!

Edited by Gnoelj

Along the lines of what Paul said about costs in the U.S., my husband is on Medicare. A few months ago he went to the ER with what ended up being diagnosed as dehydration. The doctor wanted to keep him overnight just to be sure. So he had a night in a room (not sure if it was a private room but probably not). They gave him fluids and did some tests.

The bill was $79,000.00. Yes, he only had to pay a fraction of that, but still ...

Mura

Along the lines of what Paul said about costs in the U.S., my husband is on Medicare. A few months ago he went to the ER with what ended up being diagnosed as dehydration. The doctor wanted to keep him overnight just to be sure. So he had a night in a room (not sure if it was a private room but probably not). They gave him fluids and did some tests.

The bill was $79,000.00. Yes, he only had to pay a fraction of that, but still ...

Mura

Wow Mura!!

Interesting point regards passengers worrying about medical costs.

I do know that two Brits did not go to the emergency room immediately,worrying about final cost and indeed if they are covered.Then it was announced that anyone with symptoms could get a free consultation! We checked our insurance last time we sailed with Oceania,because we read that some policies (here in England) do not cover cruise travel.There are also policies that do not cover skiing,absailing etc..

We are lucky that we have cover and we were also able to pay my bill there and then.

How funny, JimandStan. Here on South Beach, South of Fifth, Geraldine would never to see anything the color of Germstar unless she was in a bar. Drinks that color abound here.

Mary

What hospital bill? You seem to be assuming every passenger on Oceania come from the US.

In the UK, if you use the National Health Service, there is absolutely NO CHARGE. So, the bill to use the hospital or to see the doctor is ZERO.

(In England and Wales, sometimes, they charge you for prescribed medication, sometimes not, and in Scotland, even prescription medication is free!)

When we have to use the dentist (on the NHS), the dentist will give us a list of different treatments with different charges(NHS pays a portion, and you pay the other portion, something like that).

Does the doctor on the cruise line have a list of different charges for different treatments so that if the passenger/patient do not want that treatment, he/she can refuse it? Just wondering.

What I do not understand is that why do the cruise lines not sell their own cruise insurance? That would create additional profits for the company, and give their passengers a peace of mind - no shocking doctor's bills if you fall ill . It's a win-win situation!

That’s all well for you if you get sick in the UK. Oceania ships do not fall under UK rules or UK medical costs.

I am in a similar position in that my insurance covers everything (or just about everything) while I am in US - no matter how large the bill is.

However, when I am abroad, my Medicare will not cover me. Thus I get additional insurance to cover those possibilities.

Likewise, UK citizens need to take out extra insurance IF their regular insurance does not cover them outside UK.

The point I was making is what Oceania medical center charges are in line with cost of medical care in US - and that is why they charge those rates. It’s up to each individual to make sure that they are covered or else be responsible for those charges. What the cost of medical care is in Italy, Vietnam or UK is irrelevant to Oceania just as they choose to use US $ for onboard currency and not Dongs.

Is it outrageously expensive? Yes - but it is what it is. That is what insurance is for - on land or at sea.

Wow Mura!!

Interesting point regards passengers worrying about medical costs.

I do know that two Brits did not go to the emergency room immediately,worrying about final cost and indeed if they are covered.Then it was announced that anyone with symptoms could get a free consultation! We checked our insurance last time we sailed with Oceania,because we read that some policies (here in England) do not cover cruise travel.There are also policies that do not cover skiing,absailing etc..

We are lucky that we have cover and we were also able to pay my bill there and then.

There's a big difference between a consultation and treatment.

I prefer your picture rather than mine:

IMG_8429_zpspmklql5v.jpg

There's a big difference between a consultation and treatment.

+1000 You are absolutely correct about that ORV. Anything over and above a two minute talk is fully billable based on the offer.

Edited by rallydave

That’s all well for you if you get sick in the UK. Oceania ships do not fall under UK rules or UK medical costs.

I am in a similar position in that my insurance covers everything (or just about everything) while I am in US - no matter how large the bill is.

However, when I am abroad, my Medicare will not cover me. Thus I get additional insurance to cover those possibilities.

Likewise, UK citizens need to take out extra insurance IF their regular insurance does not cover them outside UK.

The point I was making is what Oceania medical center charges are in line with cost of medical care in US - and that is why they charge those rates. It’s up to each individual to make sure that they are covered or else be responsible for those charges. What the cost of medical care is in Italy, Vietnam or UK is irrelevant to Oceania just as they choose to use US $ for onboard currency and not Dongs.

Is it outrageously expensive? Yes - but it is what it is. That is what insurance is for - on land or at sea.

Aren't Oceania ships registered outside the US (eg Marshall Islands) , and not in the US? So, maybe they should charge (presumably lower) "Marshall Island" medical fee rates instead of American medical rates?:p . I know, and pigs might fly! Wonder if non-US cruise companies charge lower doctor's fees on board their ships?

The thing with travel insurance is, if you have to make a claim, the next time you renew your travel insurance, the premium will SKY ROCKET. So, it is not just to think, oh yeah, we have travel insurance, it's okay to make any claims even if the doctor's bill is sky high, and my travel insurance premium will not change.

The other issue I mentioned has not been answered. Why does Oceania cruises not offer their own travel insurance? That way, they would benefit by improving their balance sheet with this extra business, and at the same time, passengers would not be landed with a "shocking" medical bill if they fall ill on board.This would also almost eliminate the problem of passengers falling illand not seeing the doctor for fear of high bills (and maybe increasing potential of passing on disease to others, etc.,) .

Edited by Gnoelj

Travel Insurance does not go up if you make a claim

We submitted a large claim for medical in 2017 and of course asked that question when we needed to insure the next trip

The factors that might affect the rate are age and the cost of the trip

Just returned from a cruise with no visits to the Medical Center

Oceania does offer Travel Insurance. But it's twice as expensive as any insurance you can buy on your own. It's of course, through an outside insurance company. We bought this originally when we first started cruising with Oceania. Had one claim. Went through a terrible ordeal trying to get one small claim paid. Then our TA connected us with a much better and cheaper insurance company. Anyway you work this out, it's going to be costly. So best to just "grin and bare it". We've probably paid more insurance than benefits received through claims.

But you never know what can happen. A good friend fell down a flight of stairs while on a private shore excursion. Had to have hip replacement and was off the cruise. Their insurance paid for the surgery (in Tunisia) and food, the rest of the cruise as it was a 30 day cruise and this was like day 5. It then paid to fly the patient and husband back to the states.

So I guess you could say that they outsource the insurance section. They may also outsource the medical department as well as Destination Services. Not sure. It would be interesting to learn this. I'll ask the GM on my next cruise.

BTW if there is a virus on board Oceania's ships, they will pay for the visit to the clinic. However, always check this out before going.

JudiK..

Do you bring other meds in case you catch the bug while traveling?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

I used to bring Cipro. But there's drug resistance developing in that so I stopped doing it. The best thing is to be aware.For instance once of the biggest vectors for transmission of germs is local money.So after handling money wash or gel.If I am travelling, though, to a undeveloped country where the risk of getting a serious GI illness is higher and medical care not as readily available, I will consult a travel clinic and get something for that in addition to whatever immunizations i need