How to pick the best ship/destination/ports for our interests?

starrzone

I've cruised 3 times before, but my husband has never left the country at all let alone travelled much or cruised! He is the type who doesn't like "sitting around doing nothing"; all-inclusive trips are NOT his thing and anywhere we went would have to have lots of things to do. Does anyone have any resources on which cruise ship would have the most to offer in terms of entertainment/sports? We would ideally like to sail out of a Florida port (due to costs of airfare to get there) to the Caribbean but are open if we can find a great deal out of another area.

Thanks so much,

Cathy

Might depend on hubby's interest. Trying dog sledding in Carstairs on an Alaska cruise, or tilting with the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Europe? I agree an experienced cruise expert travel agent would best help you.

We can't name specific agents, but in Canada, there is Cruise agents affiliated with a reknowned third party travel web provider.

Alaska, Europe and certain Carribean itineraries are very port intensive and will leave little down time if he is a get up and go kinda guy. Just depends on if he is receptive to taking a cruise.

Ask him what interests him and present him with options and let him sort of steer the decision making

Having never been out of the US, Alaska out of Seattle may appeal to him. If he is more adventurous, look into flying to San Juan (still a part of the US) and taking a very port intensive Southern Caribbean Carnival cruise. Europe would be great but might be too much for a beginner traveler

I've cruised 3 times before, but my husband has never left the country at all let alone travelled much or cruised! He is the type who doesn't like "sitting around doing nothing"; all-inclusive trips are NOT his thing and anywhere we went would have to have lots of things to do. Does anyone have any resources on which cruise ship would have the most to offer in terms of entertainment/sports? We would ideally like to sail out of a Florida port (due to costs of airfare to get there) to the Caribbean but are open if we can find a great deal out of another area.

Thanks so much,

Cathy

Two suggestions. ( 1) As Keith1010 suggested, go talk to a travel agent in your area that specializes in cruises. (2) Take a look at theme cruises. There are several to choose from. See if you can find one that best suits the things both you and your husband would enjoy. Just do a Google search for theme cruises. If you find one that you think you'd both like, book it early. Theme cruises tend to fill up quickly, especially if it's a music or sport theme cruise.

My husband and I like to cruise.

It's easy and you can see a lot of things.

First, decide what kind of things you want to do while on vacation.

Hiking? Well pick a cruise that has hiking opportunities - like a stop in Naples so that you can hike up Mt Vesuvius.

Art? A stop with access to Florence so you can visit the Uffizi.

Ancient Ruins? How about Pompeii or the colloseum ?

Modern architecture? Maybe Barcelona to see Guadi's works.

Mother nature? Iceland or Norway?

So many things to see and do. What interests you?

Then, stop at a travel agency and get a bunch of those lovely glossy brochures. Read. Research. Ask questions.

But - go!

Go now!

It usually doesn't get any easier climbing up the Acropolis (or other places) as you get older.

Enjoy.

Hi, Cathy,

Yes, Europe has so much to offer.

But a favourite hobby here on Cruise Critic is spending other people's money :D

And you've not said when you plan to cruise - in the winter the Mediterranean might be less cold than Canada, but it ain't warm.

Other than hurricane season, weather in the Caribbean is excellent - usually warm & sunny, and alho there are often short sharp warm showers (which are actually quite refreshing) it's rare to have a whole day washed out by the weather.

And Canada is a good place not to be in winter. :(

Folk have mentioned "port-intensive" itineraries, and I agree.

A lot of cruises out of the States, esp. to the Caribbean from Florida & NOLA & Texas, include a high proportion of sea days - not only because of distances but also because apparently there's the demand for sea-days amongst folk who treat the ship as the destination.

But there are some port-intensive cruises out of San Juan (US ships) and Barbados (mainly UK ships).

There's a common theme to many Caribbean islands, but they have their different cultures & histories due to their colonial pasts from the UK, Spain, the Netherlands, etc. All islands are worth a day but, especially for those who don't like sitting around doing nothing, very few are worth more than a day - which is why it's such a great place to cruise, a different island every day.

If you can't find any US ships with a decent itinerary, check out P&O's offerings - 12 islands in 14 days, and I treat the two sea-days as a "day off".

All very easy, US dollars accepted everywhere, everyone speaks English, prices are low.

And no need to take organised trips. Plenty of taxis and vans at the port, drivers can replicate ship-sponsored itineraries (but so much cheaper, more fun, more flexible, not regimented) or suggest other places to go.

JB :)