Currently on Silhouette -- anytime dining is a problem

WNCtourist

Sorry to hear about your problems with Select Dining. On our Silhouette cruise 14.-26. January our experience was just the opposite: After embarkation we made a phone reservation for a table of two, but were flexible about the time. We agreed for 08.30 for the first night. After dinner we talked in a nice way to our hostess Paola and she was able to offer us a standing reservation for 07.30 (same table if possible). Only on two evenings we had a 7 minutes wait and enjoyed the Select Dining!

I see two problems with Select Dining: More and more guests prefer it and the space is now to small. While we saw every night empty tables in Traditional (Lower floor), our deck 4 dining area was always full. Celebrity cannot switch Select to the downstairs MDR because on deck 3 is only one entrance. Second problem is when a lot of guests arrive at 05.30 they fill up and occupy the room for the next one hour and a half. The same problem comes up when a lot of guests arrive at 08.00 after the early show.

I know we very very lucky to have a great hostess - on port-side!

Sorry to hear about your problems with Select Dining. On our Silhouette cruise 14.-26. January our experience was just the opposite: After embarkation we made a phone reservation for a table of two, but were flexible about the time. We agreed for 08.30 for the first night. After dinner we talked in a nice way to our hostess Paola and she was able to offer us a standing reservation for 07.30 (same table if possible). Only on two evenings we had a 7 minutes wait and enjoyed the Select Dining!

I see two problems with Select Dining: More and more guests prefer it and the space is now to small. While we saw every night empty tables in Traditional (Lower floor), our deck 4 dining area was always full. Celebrity cannot switch Select to the downstairs MDR because on deck 3 is only one entrance. Second problem is when a lot of guests arrive at 05.30 they fill up and occupy the room for the next one hour and a half. The same problem comes up when a lot of guests arrive at 08.00 after the early show.

I know we very very lucky to have a great hostess - on port-side!

Yes, on this cruise the majority are early dining in select dining and fixed. There have been several other service issues that have surprised us. And we are easygoing people!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I just switched to fixed early dining for my December 2018 cruise. Better safe than sorry. Anytime dining is empty at 8:30 pm so can always eat late if we want to or hit the buffet etc. But who wants to be stressed and wait an hour to eat on vacation??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Silhouette Jan 14-Jan 26, 2018 cruise, had Select Dining (pre-reserved 7:30 slot). Never had a problem, waited once for about 5 minutes. The hostess was extremely professional. We did observe people showing up without reservations who had to wait. You have the option of making reservations or not. If not, probably expect a wait--just like at a restaurant on land.

We were on the Silhouette for the sixth time in AQ on the 7 night January 7 sailing. While the service from our room steward and the service from both the Ass't Maitre'D, Hostess, and entire and wait staff in BLU were all excellent, the quality of the food at the dinners were not. IMO, the overall cruise experience was nothing like our last five sailings on this ship. Not sure of this is a result of the Ship's Senior Management or Corporate but, improvements need to be made.

We were on the Dec 17 sailing. Originally had early traditional dining, but after the first night decided to switch to select so we could decide what time we wanted to dine. Sometimes it's nice to take a nap later in the afternoon, or we may have had a late lunch etc. Our select dining was wonderful, and we never made a reservation. We usually ate around 7pm.. always got a table for 2 and our same server. Sounds now like we just lucked out!

We were on the Silhouette for the sixth time in AQ on the 7 night January 7 sailing. While the service from our room steward and the service from both the Ass't Maitre'D, Hostess, and entire and wait staff in BLU were all excellent, the quality of the food at the dinners were not. IMO, the overall cruise experience was nothing like our last five sailings on this ship. Not sure of this is a result of the Ship's Senior Management or Corporate but, improvements need to be made.

We also felt the food quality has slipped in all food venues we used (we were not in AQ). However, all staff/service were excellent.

I am sorry to hear about so many people having problems with "Select Dining".

This is my experience, on the Reflection 1/8/17.

We had booked with "Select Dining".

On the very first night of the cruise we met a very nice couple and they also had "Select Dining", we enjoyed their company that night and we really lied our wait staff, so after dinner we asked the hostess if we can make nightly reservations for the remaining 9 nights at the same table and she said of course.

So, we enjoyed dinner every night, with the same friends and same staff wait staff.

Now, some observations.

I did witness some guests who made some outrageous demands, very rude behavior towards the staff and very disrespectful with other guests.

At no time did I ever witness the staff at anytime become disrespectful even though they received some very inappropriate and terrible treatment by guest, even some very alarming racial epithets hurled at them.

The majority of the offenders were of a certain age bracket and from a certain certain southern state.

If this post offends you maybe you are the guilty ones.

We prefer select and try and make reservations for the whole trip. On sillouhette and eclipse we have had to wait a few minutes on the odd occasion. I did notice though that they only seemed to use the starboard side of the upstairs MDR.

Last cruise on Reflection was good, there was never a wait, but I did notice that set up was different, insomuch that all of the upstairs was in use for Select. With the port side door for those with reservations and the starboard for those without.

I made advanced reservations for Anytime dining for every night at 6:30 on the Celebrity website. We were seated at the same or nearby table each night, so we had the same wait staff. That's the good news. The bad news is the Silly has signs designating two lines, one for reservations and one for walk ins. They IGNORE the signs and do just one line, regardless of reservation status! I spoke with the Maitre' D about this process (as I am a LEAN professional who specializes in process improvement). I hope they will address this accordingly.

First-timers on X - Reflection (3/23/18). So ... trying to navigate the dining dilemma of Select Dining vs Traditional. Based on the experience/advice from CC aficionados we have gone into our profile and selected SD every evening at 7:15. We think this will give us enough time to get ready for dinner (a couple advance cocktails) and make it to the late shows. Questions are:

• How long will they honor our reservation if we are running a little late?
  • If we decide to do another dinner venue do we need to inform someone so not to lose our 7:15 slot the next night?
  • How difficult will it be to get a table for 2, should we go in advance and make the request?
  • Any other helpful hints?

As always ... thanks CC friends - BZ

First-timers on X - Reflection (3/23/18). So ... trying to navigate the dining dilemma of Select Dining vs Traditional. Based on the experience/advice from CC aficionados we have gone into our profile and selected SD every evening at 7:15. We think this will give us enough time to get ready for dinner (a couple advance cocktails) and make it to the late shows. Questions are:

• How long will they honor our reservation if we are running a little late? They will fit you in as best they can (popular time); it may not always be at 7:15 however even with a reservation.
  • If we decide to do another dinner venue do we need to inform someone so not to lose our 7:15 slot the next night? We tell them the night before if we have another dining location for the next night. As well, on the X calendar, if I know the date of our Special Dining, I remove the Select dining request for that evening.
  • How difficult will it be to get a table for 2, should we go in advance and make the request? Always have had a table for 2 when requested (on the 1st night) for the entire cruise. 2 tops are usually close together so indicate where your preferred location is and on the Reflection they have always tried to accommodate.
  • Any other helpful hints? The earlier time requested, the easier seating seems to be.

As always ... thanks CC friends - BZ

Hope this helps.

I made advanced reservations for Anytime dining for every night at 6:30 on the Celebrity website. We were seated at the same or nearby table each night, so we had the same wait staff. That's the good news. The bad news is the Silly has signs designating two lines, one for reservations and one for walk ins. They IGNORE the signs and do just one line, regardless of reservation status! I spoke with the Maitre' D about this process (as I am a LEAN professional who specializes in process improvement). I hope they will address this accordingly.

That is not good and significantly different from our experience. On Silhouette and eclipse previously they had two lines at starboard side door, with rope barrier between them and a podium at each side. One for the folks with reservation and one for those without. Each line was staffed with host or hostess.

If they are channeling everyone into one line, this will make a mockery of even trying to make reservations.

Since you seem to dine the same time nightly why not do fixed dining at 6:00? No lines-except for the first day and you just walk up to your table. If you come at 6:15 and have a table for two- no problem.

Does anyone know if the my time dining like this on the Equinox? (a cluster)

We were on the Silly last December but had late seating. Thinking I may need to switch from mytime on Equinox?

Yes, I did. It was perfect. No problems on the Equinox at all for "My Time Dining".

After 2 good experiences on Reflection with any time dining, this cruise is totally different and not good. Our first night we already changed our time to 5:45 and the line to get in with reservations wrapped past the Martini Bar. You can't reserve a time for the next evening after dinner; instead you must have called the previous day. Nothing available before 8:30 pm. Today, we called at 9:15 am to try for 6 pm tomorrow and we're told just to show up. When we said that wasn't working well, the host said that's how they were doing things. So far we've had 2 meals in the the dinner room and 2 in the buffet. No discounts on specialty dining either. Not impressed. We will be discussing with the appropriate managers.

Perhaps Celebrity need to change the name from "Anytime Dining" to "We Pick Your Time Dining"

I will propose a contrarian point of view. It might be better if ships did not accept any reservations for Open Sitting Dining programs. Reservations only complicate things and slow down the entire operation. If you want to eat at the same time every night, simply book fixed sitting. Otherwise, just show-up at the door when you want to eat and you will be seated. This is why many cruise lines are starting to do away with open seating reservations during high demand hours.

We love open sitting and simply head to the MDR when we want to eat. If we want to share a table with some friends we all go together. If on our own we will normally ask to share a large table and will generally be seated immediately. Those that have various demands (such as a 2-top, favorite waiter, etc) will often get a beeper and have to wait.

Hank

I will propose a contrarian point of view. It might be better if ships did not accept any reservations for Open Sitting Dining programs. Reservations only complicate things and slow down the entire operation. If you want to eat at the same time every night, simply book fixed sitting. Otherwise, just show-up at the door when you want to eat and you will be seated. This is why many cruise lines are starting to do away with open seating reservations during high demand hours.

We love open sitting and simply head to the MDR when we want to eat. If we want to share a table with some friends we all go together. If on our own we will normally ask to share a large table and will generally be seated immediately. Those that have various demands (such as a 2-top, favorite waiter, etc) will often get a beeper and have to wait.

Hank

We had that model of the Allure of the Seas when it first started to sail. I felt like I was at outback or red lobster with a beeper. Not a great solution as too many people had to wait a long time, sometimes close to one hour. I vote for all either early or late seating. With the exception of the specialty restaurants which would continue to make and honor reservations.

Hank

Good points. I never really understood how they could try to book reservations in between fixed booking and manage it.

Personally, we always book fixed times and have never missed with our table mates at big tables. We still keep in touch with several.

We had anytime dining on the Silhouette last year and had no problems at all getting a table for 3 each night. We always went back to the same waiters' section, and never made a reservation. Only one night did we have to take a beeper and wait, but it really wasn't a hardship having a couple of extra drinks at the World Class Bar.

I am sorry to hear about so many people having problems with "Select Dining".

This is my experience, on the Reflection 1/8/17.

We had booked with "Select Dining".

On the very first night of the cruise we met a very nice couple and they also had "Select Dining", we enjoyed their company that night and we really lied our wait staff, so after dinner we asked the hostess if we can make nightly reservations for the remaining 9 nights at the same table and she said of course.

So, we enjoyed dinner every night, with the same friends and same staff wait staff.

Now, some observations.

I did witness some guests who made some outrageous demands, very rude behavior towards the staff and very disrespectful with other guests.

At no time did I ever witness the staff at anytime become disrespectful even though they received some very inappropriate and terrible treatment by guest, even some very alarming racial epithets hurled at them.

The majority of the offenders were of a certain age bracket and from a certain certain southern state.

If this post offends you maybe you are the guilty ones.

So true. I find the elderly too seem to think that every person staff and other cruisers should bow down to them and give them whatever I want. Bugger that if they are rude I tell them in no uncertain terms just because your older than me doesn't give you the right to be a pain in the rear end. Then I am Australian and we don't take that crap from anyone :)

Hank

Hank. Not sure I agree with you here. But wouldn’t life be boring if we all thought the same. :)

Shore based restaurants manage a reservation system without too much fuss, as the norm. When their covers are booked they offer alternative time until all sold out.

Only real difference onboard is that when they are sold out they are able to offer fixed dining.

I suspect one of the issues is that Select is too popular and they are trying to please too many folks. Personally, we find early, too early and late too late, and would most probably not book a cruise if we couldn’t get Select. I guess this equates to another incentive to book early.

I agree that "anytime" dining should be just that ... walk up between 6 & 9 and get seated or wait for a table if you choose a prime time. We experience Anytime Dining for the first time on Princess 5 years ago, and it worked great. Never waited very long if at all, and pretty much always got same wait staff as requested. X complicates things with their Select Dining reservation system, and it seems that they just don't manage it very well on some ships. Example: not utilizing empty tables in the Traditional Dining section.

(Disclaimer ... my statements re: X are gleaned from CC observations, not experience).

BZ

Edited by pa-annie
addition