Anybody Read this Article Yet?

RCmommy

I read this. I believe in personal responsibility. These cruisers must know the risks involved with using drugs and are responsible for their actions. They should bring their own condoms. Not the cruiseline's responsibility.

I do think additonal medical personnel should be on hand. However, Atlantis should pay for these individuals.

Ultimately Atlantis should monitor their clients, be responsible for illegal behavior. If they cannot be proactive against the use of lethal drugs, then the cruiselines should refuse to allow them to charter their ships.

But, still ultimately all of this is the responsibility of the cruisers.

Right?!

I am interested in reading what others' opinions will be..

OK I'll open the can 'o worms.....

WHY is it RCCL'S responsibility??

Shouldn't the people who want to party and want to "hook up" take some responsibility in their lifestyle? Sheesh!

"Joel had consumed enough GHB on the dance floor Tuesday that he was rendered unconscious and taken off the dance floor by 2 people and back to his room."

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2018/01/articles/drugs/joel-taylor-dies-on-harmony-of-the-seas-latest-drugrelated-death-on-a-royal-caribbeanatlantis-cruise/

Quite an interesting idea. You know we will be breaking the law so you have the responsibility to be an accomplice. If I was in charge at Royal Caribbean Atlantis would have made their final charter.

Yep, 100% agree. Have some accountability for yourself. RC can't police everyone. I would say NO more charters to this company if they can't accept the fact that the guests are responsible for themselves.

Very sad none the less...

"Joel had consumed enough GHB on the dance floor Tuesday that he was rendered unconscious and taken off the dance floor by 2 people and back to his room."

I've read where several communities are now pursuing criminal charges against "friends" like these.

Other communities have pursued charges against people who have allowed their property to be used for illegal activities.

Perhaps charges against the captain for failing to properly administer his duties... And, don't tell me that a reasonably qualified captain would not have known of this drug use.

I think people are somewhat missing the subtext of the article, which is pointing out that Atlantis Cruises can't be trusted to look after people in the atmosphere they've created. The author is also trying to point out to RC that if they continue to take on those charters, they should stop pretending not to know how many drugs are aboard and plan accordingly.

Yes, there is a message of partying safely, which I understand some people find objectionable, but I suspect most people reading this have assisted a drunk friend at some point in their lives or another.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've read where several communities are now pursuing criminal charges against "friends" like these.

Other communities have pursued charges against people who have allowed their property to be used for illegal activities.

Perhaps charges against the captain for failing to properly administer his duties... And, don't tell me that a reasonably qualified captain would not have known of this drug use.

Easiest way to avoid this in the future, don’t charter ships to Atlantis. They will go elsewhere and the hopefully similar events won’t happen.

Its not up to Atlantis or RCCL to control the personal actions of what a guest chooses to ingest and put unreasonable efforts to save them when they choose to dangerously indulge.

Some people make seriously stupid decisions about what they think won’t harm them. Insisting someone else proactively save them from themselves means they should relinquish all personal responsibility and let others control every aspect of their waking moment. How well do you think that would go over?

Quite an interesting idea. You know we will be breaking the law so you have the responsibility to be an accomplice. If I was in charge at Royal Caribbean Atlantis would have made their final charter.

I think the author of the open letter would support that decision.

Part of what he's saying is that if RCI continues to do business with Atlantis, this is going to keep happening and there are some concrete steps that can be taken to reduce the risk. That's not an unreasonable point.

I know that RNs who work for RCI have to have THREE years of critical care experience to be hired (many other cruise lines only require two years of critical care experience). I daresay that the MDs employed by RCI have similar experience in critical care.

I guarantee that anyone working in critical care has taken care of a drug overdose patient. And I guarantee that RCI's medical center has Narcan in its pharmacy.

What else do they want? They have staff that is ACLS certified and can provide CPR and administer medications and defibrillation shocks to treat cardiac arrest. They have staff that can intubate a patient in respiratory arrest. They have staff that can administer Narcan. They have staff that can start IVs and administer fluids and run labs and suction vomit out of the airway and drop an NG tube into their stomach to suction stomach contents or administer charcoal.

Having more medical staff isn't the problem. Having differently trained medical staff isn't the problem. People knowingly taking drugs is the problem. That's not RCI's problem.

I read the first article and just couldn't make much sense of the complaint. I scanned the second article (by the MD on the cruise) and the first article makes even less sense. People need to consider and accept the consequences of their actions.

I know that RNs who work for RCI have to have THREE years of critical care experience to be hired (many other cruise lines only require two years of critical care experience). I daresay that the MDs employed by RCI have similar experience in critical care.

I guarantee that anyone working in critical care has taken care of a drug overdose patient. And I guarantee that RCI's medical center has Narcan in its pharmacy.

What else do they want? They have staff that is ACLS certified and can provide CPR and administer medications and defibrillation shocks to treat cardiac arrest. They have staff that can intubate a patient in respiratory arrest. They have staff that can administer Narcan. They have staff that can start IVs and administer fluids and run labs and suction vomit out of the airway and drop an NG tube into their stomach to suction stomach contents or administer charcoal.

Having more medical staff isn't the problem. Having differently trained medical staff isn't the problem. People knowingly taking drugs is the problem. That's not RCI's problem.

Meh... I have seen their medical staff in action, and it's unnerving.

I don't really know a lot about Atlantis cruises but there definitely seems to be a problem. I do think the Harmony sails full almost every week so RCI does not need the $$ or bad publicity that an Atlantis cruise brings.

You know, they really need to open up a cath lab on their ship. If they're gonna serve burgers and french fries, it's RCI's responsibility to provide cardiac stents as well.

And those communities are dealing with US law, whereas RCI ships are dealing with Bahamas law, so there is no correlation.

What would those duties of the Captain be? Do you know that he did not "properly administer" them? Do you know that the Captain acted in contravention of the ISM code, as written by RCI, and approved by the flag state (Bahamas) in respect to drugs onboard? And even if he knew about the drug use, do you know that he didn't do all that was possible to stop it? About 10-12 security staff for a couple of thousand passengers. Is he to lock everyone down, and then search the entire ship?

Both letters complain that Atlantis repeatedly informed passengers that illegal activity would result in confinement and disembarkation, possible legal action. Under US law, this is their responsibility both to the participants and to the ship owner, so what is the gripe? Did they say, "if you get treated by medical for an overdose you will be prosecuted"? I didn't read that. However, saying that in the US emergency rooms provide a "safe haven" is irrelevant, since there well may be a Bahamian law that requires hospital staff to report evidence of criminal activity (I don't know, but the point is that Bahamian law, not US law applies). And, its my understanding that hospitals regularly report things like gunshot wounds to the authorities in the US.

Those who took drugs on these cruises, do so knowing full well that they are breaking the law, and also make personal choices as to how much drugs they do. This has nothing to do with either Atlantis or RCI.

As for placing condoms in the cabins "while being cleaned", what about the religious beliefs of the crew members who would be "required" to distribute them? Again, personal choice about unprotected sex, and people have to take responsibility for their choices.

I read the first article and just couldn't make much sense of the complaint. I scanned the second article (by the MD on the cruise) and the first article makes even less sense. People need to consider and accept the consequences of their actions.

No one accepts responsibility for their actions anymore. It's always someone else's fault..