Warning about Miami airport cab over-charges

OlsSalt

A good reminder to use your phone to take a quick photo of the cab and number. I hope that the complaints at FLL will also be investigated. I am familiar with the cost of cab fare from FLL to the local hotels and from the local hotels to Port Everglades, and always pay in cash to guard against any credit card issues.

Many folks do not use Uber or Lyft....for their own reasons. But perhaps they should re-examine the issue and consider that the price (and service) differences (when compared to taxis) can be significant. Consider that when DW and I took an Uber X (this would be a smaller car) from the Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale to the Port of Miami (yes, I know that HAL doesn't use this port) our Uber cost was $33. A taxi would have been about twice that price. A few weeks ago when we flew into Puerto Vallarta we could have taken an airport taxi to our Condo for about $365 (Pesos). Instead we summoned an Uber car which cost us $108 (Pesos) for the same trip. For those who have an AMEX Platinum card they also get $15 a month in Uber credits!

I should add that we recently (December arrived at Port Everglades and simply needed a taxi to the nearby airport. The taxi queue was pretty long (20-30 min wait) so we simply summoned Uber and our car was by our side in about 3 minutes. It does not always work this good, but with the app you do see the cost and estimated time (for your car)...and can even track your car's progress as it comes to your location. But the best part is that you know the cost before you ask for the car and that cost does not increase if you get stuck in traffic.

Hank

A good reminder to use your phone to take a quick photo of the cab and number. .

In Ireland a cab driver must by law have his licence and photo id on display inside the cab, so it is quite easy to photograph. Do Miami cabs have something similar, or is it suggested to photograph actual vehicle registration plate?

In Ireland a cab driver must by law have his licence and photo id on display inside the cab, so it is quite easy to photograph. Do Miami cabs have something similar, or is it suggested to photograph actual vehicle registration plate?

In the U.S. it is a "hit and miss" as far as cabbies displaying, or being required to display, their license/driver's permit, and pics inside their cab. The vast majority of marked/official cabs have a "unit number" painted on the side, rear (trunk/boot) or front (hood/bonnet) of the cab (#279 in the pic downstairs). That number, not to be confused with a sometimes very large company telephone number, with or without area code, especially in Broward County/Ft. Lauderdale, is unique to that cab.

It never hurts to take a quick pic of that number and /or the license plate number in case the cab/driver needs to be traced back, after the fact, due to some incident. Currently, complaints about cabbies are handled by the Broward County Consumer Affairs division. I would think Miami-Dade County has something similar

yellowcab-lifestyle-8516-1024x683.jpg

We often take pictures of license plates of countries we visit - because they are interesting and because they provide a logo transition in our photo albums. One could just say ...they were doing that - just a souvenir- before entering the cab..

It never hurts to take a quick pic of that number and /or the license plate number in case the cab/driver needs to be traced back, after the fact, due to some incident. Currently, complaints about cabbies are handled by the Broward County Consumer Affairs division. I would think Miami-Dade County has something similar

We often take pictures of license plates of countries we visit - because they are interesting and because they provide a logo transition in our photo albums. One could just say ...they were doing that - just a souvenir- before entering the cab..

Thanks for the info. Now I just have to program my brain to remember to take a pic of cab after 10 hour flight! :loudcry:

Thanks for the info. Now I just have to program my brain to remember to take a pic of cab after 10 hour flight! :loudcry:

Imagine being in a cab with a driver who is screaming at you that YOU should know how to get to your hotel, YOU have given him the wrong hotel name, YOUR address is wrong, and YOU BETTER FIX IT RIGHT NOW. And YOU are responsible for the directions he needs. And who then proceeds the wrong way down a one-way at full speed, continuing to yell and scream that it is YOUR problem.

Happened to us. I was quick enough to get his unit # when we exited his cab on the pretense of trying to get directions.

I will never set foot in a cab again without a picture their plate # and unit #

Taxi overcharges (or taxis taking the longest route) are easily avoided by simply using Uber or Lyft (both of which are also less expensive then taxis).

Hank

Never used Uber or Lyft - Is it true you pay on your phone or website before pickup so overcharges are impossible?

Never used Uber or Lyft - Is it true you pay on your phone or website before pickup so overcharges are impossible?

I’ve been using Uber for the past six months. The charge for the trip is posted on your phone before you confirm. A screen then comes up showing the location of the Uber driver and tracks the trip to you. When the ride is complete, your credit card is charged the amount you confirmed before the trip started. I live near Newark airport and I’ve been finding the trips are about half the price of a regular cab

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. Let me focus on Uber (Lyft is similar). You need to install the free app on a Smartphone. You then set up an account and register one of your major credit cards (Amex, Mc, or Visa). When you then decide to use Uber you open the app which normally will pinpoint your location (if not, you can set any location you please) and you tell the app your destination. It will then show you the price for each level of service (Uber X is the basic car....but they also have more expensive Premium cars, Vans, etc). If and when you are satisfied you simply summon the level of service. The app shows you the approximate time (to get your car) and you will actually see a picture and name of your driver, the type car and license. The app actually tracks the progress of your car (you can watch on a moving map) to your location. If there are any issues you also have the ability to call or text your driver. The cost of the ride is automatically charged to your credit card (no cash has to change hands). If you choose to tip you can give it to the driver in cash....or add it to your charge card via the app. After your ride, Uber will ask you to rate your driver (1-5 Stars) and your driver also has the ability to rate the passenger.

I am sold on the system and have used it in many cities of the world. In most cases the Uber (and Lyft) cars are nicer then most taxis and drivers are often very friendly (they want a high rating). You can also use the app or go on line and use the Uber Estimator which gives you approximate prices for any ride. But Uber and Lyft do vary their rates depending on the time of day. So during a very busy time you may get Surge Pricing (higher cost)...but you will always know the exact cost before you summon a car.

Sometimes the rate differences are quite amazing. For example, when we recently arrived in Puerto Vallarta (our winter home) we decided to use Uber from the airport to our Condo. Despite being the busiest time of the week, our Uber cost (for a nice car) was $118 (Mexican Pesos). A regular airport taxi would have cost us about $360. Even in NYC we have sometimes saved 50% (and more) by using Uber during off times. During rush hour the prices are higher. Uber also has "Uber Share" which is good for rush hours in large cities where you will share a car with others going to work and the cost is quite a bargain. What is also nice is that, from a security point of view, you know who your driver is and they know you....and the system has a record.

Hank

The taxis in the Miami area have all sorts of scams.

Last time we went from the Miami port to Miami International we took a cab instead of Uber because it was convenient. The driver didn’t start the meter and said it would be a flat rate of $20. Seemed legit to me. But, when we got to the airport and I tried to pay with a credit card, he had to call someone to figure out how to start the meter and charge the fare. While he fumbled around, I took pictures. Turned out that he wasn’t even the guy who was licensed to drive the cab !!!

He was some friend of the driver trying to make some extra cash by driving folks around illegally and asking for cash fares.

I turned them into the cab company.

Always Uber from now on !

— Don

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How do you contact Uber when you don't have mobile phone?

You don't. Like many travel related things, you need a Smartphone. Since we have often cruised on HAL, we have also met many older cruisers (we are also Seniors) who are reluctant to try new things such as SmartPhones and ATMs (the way we get all our cash when traveling). We listen to these folks tell us how they do not need these "newfangled things" and just smile. As frequent world travelers (and cruisers) we can no longer imagine trying to travel without several different ATM/Debit cards.....and also think that a Smartphone (that works in most countries) is a huge benefit to travelers. There are many things you can do with a Smartphone for which there are not a lot of other decent options. Those that choose to live int he past (when it comes to technology) are going to suffer many disadvantages. We do not argue with those that resist....but simply smile.

I could list all kinds of Smartphone advantages such as improved Airline Service and options, rental car options, hotel options, GPS options, etc. But having talked to a few resistant HAL cruisers (some probably think a horse and buggy is better than a car) I no longer try to convince them of the error of their ways :). Come to think of it, we suspect that some of the folks that run HAL probably also use horse and buggies :). It is the same with how folks book cruises. You can book direct with HAL or shop around among reputable cruise agencies. You will generally save 7-10% by using the right cruise agencies, but many HAL cruisers are happy to pay hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars more to do it the same way they have done if for decades (or centuries). So be it :)

Hank

How do you contact Uber when you don't have mobile phone?

Unless you have a SmartPhone, you don't.

My cell phone is old-fashioned flip phone so I cannot use Uber or Lyft. So I use taxi or shuttle.

Folks here presume everyone has a smartphone and has downloaded the uber app.

A good reminder to use your phone to take a quick photo of the cab and number. I hope that the complaints at FLL will also be investigated. I am familiar with the cost of cab fare from FLL to the local hotels and from the local hotels to Port Everglades, and always pay in cash to guard against any credit card issues.

Good idea.

Several years ago we were overcharged for cab ride from Port Everglades to FLL. Wrote down cab number and name of driver, wrote letter to Port Authority and Cab Company explaining exactly what happened. In a couple of weeks received full refund of fare from cab company, letter of apology from cab driver and a call from the Port Authority that they are in the process of addressing the problem.

Last month, friends flew into FLL and got a cab to take them to their hotel. The hotel was on Miami Street in FLL. They are not familiar with the area but knew the hotel should be close and after a little chat with the driver (English not his first language), realized that he was taking them to Miami ..... Florida!!!

I loved Lyft until this last trip. I took a Lyft from my home to the airport. No problem. Flew to Ft. Lauderdale and was instructed where to wait for a pick up car. Called Lyft and was assigned a driver to arrive in 6 minutes. Sat down and waited 20, 30, minutes. Tried to text, got a response that she couldn't text as she was driving. Tried to call her twice, no answer. Tried to cancel and order an Uber car. The app had advanced to the pay section and would not let me cancel. Frustrated, I walked over to the cab stand and took a cab. The cab driver told me that Uber drivers didn't like to make such a short trip, but it isn't true. I saw dozens of folks getting picked up by Uber while I was waiting for my Lyft.

A week later, when I got home, I saw that Lyft had charged my credit card. I put in a claim, explaining what happened and in less than five minutes I received a response from Lyft that since "the driver had started and ended the trip without you in the car", I was due a refund. Within an hour my credit card had been refunded. Great customer service!