Rhine water levels 2018 and similar topics

notamermaid

24 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

We board Viking Idi in Basel on Friday the 9th, bound for Amsterdam.

I’ll post details as we travel.

Have you been advised of a ship swap (not sure if you have mentioned it before)? Whether or not this will happen I am sure Viking will do their best to keep it as smooth a journey as possible.

Have a great trip.

notamermaid

2 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Have you been advised of a ship swap (not sure if you have mentioned it before)? Whether or not this will happen I am sure Viking will do their best to keep it as smooth a journey as possible.

Have a great trip.

notamermaid

We were originally on the Mani, which was taken out of service for “ unscheduled maintenance”. My guess is a bent propeller shaft as it scraped the bottom.

We were warned of a possible ship swap, which is fine with us. Glad Viking has a lot of ships, although the new 12 month advanced payment probably means no more Viking for us.

5 hours ago, Coli said:

We got our docs here in Bermuda last week: A-B on AMAPrima Nov 17-24. We know it’s too early for the line to let us know if there will be changes. Just looking forward to a holiday after a crazy busy year with work. Traveling with my Mum who decided this was a 75th birthday present to herself this year. She’s packed pretty much already and has been walking everyday. As it’s a wine cruise - she’s got into training with that as well. 😂😂🍷

She sounds like my kind of woman! :classic_laugh:

I see that the AMA Amakristina never made it through the Rhine Gorge last week on an Amsterdam to Basel trip.  

Instead it returned to Amsterdam and, after a couple of day, has now headed from Amsterdam to Rotterdam rather than do the standard Amsterdam to Basel cruise.

these companies must be tearing their hair out.

We are scheduled to travel from Basel to Amsterdam on the Amakristina on 17 December.  

Please rain clouds......

Fortunately it is almost the end of the season for most operators and customers.

Hopefully next year will be better albeit there are often issues with river levels.

How customers are treated by operators will be important and will guide future decisions when selecting cruise options for many. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pully8 said:

Fortunately it is almost the end of the season for most operators and customers.

Hopefully next year will be better albeit there are often issues with river levels.

How customers are treated by operators will be important and will guide future decisions when selecting cruise options for many. 

Very true.

It has been interesting over the years to see how some cruise companies have matured from one crisis to the next and others have not learned from their competitors.

12 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I see 'Avalon Impression' made it north through the gorge this morning and is continuing en route to Amsterdam tonight, I wonder if she will be the last of the 135m ships through until there is more rain...

A couple of days ago, the Asara sailing for Phoenix Reisen did an interesting twist on the "cannot get through the gorge" scenario: she sailed from Koblenz upstream to St. Goarshausen and docked there for some hours. Then she double-backed downstream to Koblenz again going straight onto her next port without stopping at Koblenz. She is 135m long. It is possible to sail into the gorge up to that village at Lorelei rock more easily than to do it from the other direction with these low water levels. One can still see Viking ships docking regularly at Braubach for Marksburg castle. That town is in the gorge but still accessible from Koblenz.

I doubt that we will see 135m ships today and I am surprised the Avalon Impression did it at 46cm at Kaub. But depending on when she set of she might have just in time had a slightly more favourable level between Rüdesheim and Kaub.

As forecast, Kaub has fallen to 42cm. A minimal rise is forecast. Very little rain is forecast before Saturday for the area.

We are a long way away from getting to 78cm at Kaub, a figure which translates into a guaranteed navigation channel depth of 1.90m. I doubt any rain that falls this weekend can give me personally hope that we will get to that figure soon.

We are enjoying a mild, sunny morning with the temperature due to rise to 17 degrees Celsius in parts of the valley today! I mean, really, that is ridiculous, it is November, where is the frost??

notamermaid

Vantage River Voyager:  Day 6, Finally aboard in Koblenz, but I'm waiting for everyone else to join me.  They stayed with the program, I improvised with my wife's blessing.  The luggage truck just arrived and the buses with my 159 new friends should be here shortly.

I didn't feel like taking the bus back from Stasbourg to Basel last night, then to turn around the next day and drive all the way to Koblenz via Heidelberg.  Not sure why Vantage was bound and determined to stay all 5 nights in Basel, but they were.

I packed an overnight bag and left it on the bus while we toured Strasbourg.  When everyone else headed back to Basel, I checked into a $60 hotel 100 meters from the train station.  The hotel was clean and comfortable.  I wandered the town some more, and got a few nice pictures of the cathedral at night.

This morning I took a train to Koblenz, 3 hours, one change.  Dropped my bag at the boat, then hiked over to the Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung, or German Army museum.  Very interesting to me...all the displays are in German, which I do not read, but a tank is a tank, and I'm an old soldier.  They had machinery cut in half so you could see the inner workings. Only 3 Euro to get in.  

Now tomorrow they want to bus us 3 hours roundtrip to Mainz.  I think I'll see about using a bike to ride along the river, it's supposed to be nice weather.

BTW, the last hour of the train ride was a total tease...beautiful weather, tracks run right along the Rhine, so I could check out quite a few of the castles.  Would have been nicer cruising at 8 knots versus 100 km/hr on the train, but better than the bus.

Edited by ural guy
clarity

34 minutes ago, ural guy said:

I didn't feel like taking the bus back from Stasbourg to Basel last night, then to turn around the next day and drive all the way to Koblenz via Heidelberg.  Not sure why Vantage was bound and determined to stay all 5 nights in Basel, but they were.

Sounds like a good decision to me!!

Ural guy, great DIY trip! Good thinking. Strasbourg is just lovely and I too would have enjoyed a night there. 

Mainz is nice too, so don't write it off completely. But a day without a bus ride might be even nicer. Enjoy either way.

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Ural guy, great DIY trip! Good thinking. Strasbourg is just lovely and I too would have enjoyed a night there. 

Mainz is nice too, so don't write it off completely. But a day without a bus ride might be even nicer. Enjoy either way.

Yes, a good idea to take the train. The railway lines on both banks give you good views but the main line for fast trains on the left bank gives you the view of Lorelei rock.

For those with an interest in military things, this is the Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung that ural guy has mentioned: https://www.vffwts.de/en/

I would also think about going to Mainz as it has appeal, there is the great Romanesque Dom (cathedral), the museum for antique shipping (Museum für antike Schiffahrt), the Gutenberg museum and some nice old buildings. But then a cycle ride sounds a nice idea and you could head up the Rhine for quite a stretch and return by train. Or sail along the Moselle and its vineyards.

If you need a bit of help deciding this is the website for Koblenz tourism: https://www.koblenz-tourism.com/

In the museum on Ehrenbreitstein hill - in the fortress - they have nice exhibitions and the old canon called "Greif". And the view is just amazing.

notamermaid

5 hours ago, ural guy said:

Vantage River Voyager:  Day 6, Finally aboard in Koblenz, but I'm waiting for everyone else to join me.  They stayed with the program, I improvised with my wife's blessing.  The luggage truck just arrived and the buses with my 159 new friends should be here shortly.

I packed an overnight bag and left it on the bus while we toured Strasbourg.  When everyone else headed back to Basel, I checked into a $60 hotel 100 meters from the train station.  The hotel was clean and comfortable.  I wandered the town some more, and got a few nice pictures of the cathedral at night.

This morning I took a train to Koblenz, 3 hours, one change.  Dropped my bag at the boat, then hiked over to the Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung, or German Army museum.  Very interesting to me...all the displays are in German, which I do not read, but a tank is a tank, and I'm an old soldier.  They had machinery cut in half so you could see the inner workings. Only 3 Euro to get in.  

Now tomorrow they want to bus us 3 hours roundtrip to Mainz.  I think I'll see about using a bike to ride along the river, it's supposed to be nice weather.

BTW, the last hour of the train ride was a total tease...beautiful weather, tracks run right along the Rhine, so I could check out quite a few of the castles.  Would have been nicer cruising at 8 knots versus 100 km/hr on the train, but better than the bus.

That’s a great audible. We sail on the 24th and I’m putting that one in the playbook in case we need it. As another old soldier I always prefer to adapt to the situation as well. Not sure I’ll look to Vantage in the future based on some of the decisions they’ve made on your cruise. 

12 hours ago, FuelScience said:

Sounds like a good decision to me!!

Especially after the buses didn't get to the ship until 2040 hrs.  They were within 5 km of Koblenz when a bad accident closed a portion on the autobahn.

I was wondering why Vantage didn't just add a stop or two in Netherlands.  I asked the Captain while we were waiting last night, and he told me that even Arnhem, one of my favorite spots, can't be reached.

The on board part of the program, I still have high hopes for.  Our cabin is just as nice as I remember, great storage space.  But Vantage Corporate, they still have a lot to learn about communication flow and customer service. 

8 hours ago, notamermaid said:

For those with an interest in military things, this is the Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung that ural guy has mentioned: https://www.vffwts.de/en/

Notamermaid-  Thanks for posting that, and all your other information.

One of the floors it mostly handguns, rifles and machine guns.  You exit the stairwell and the smell of gun oil hit you.  That is a smell that needs no translation.  The people (Bundeswher) that put this together did a great job....you see a Hind helicopter and it's size, you can imagine the fear it would put into a ground soldier.

2 Viking ships were docked nearby on the Rhine, and the Amadeus Royal adjacent to us on the Mosel.

Only light sprinkles last night as far as I could tell.

2 night pics are Strasbourg, mural is in Koblenz.

IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

ural guy,

Thank you for the photos. The mural in Koblenz is very new, only finished in July of this year. It is designed to draw attention to the Koblenz women's (emergency) helpline, i.e. domestic violence, etc. The artist did the mural for free. For location for the others: It is in Lützel, the suburb you get to when you cross the Balduin bridge. Only a short-ish walk (25min.) or cycle trip to the military museum from there.

For those docking on the Moselle, the Balduin bridge is a good spot to take a photo of the ship(s). It is also great for seeing Ehrenbreitstein fortress. The English painter William Turner loved that view: https://www.nationalgalleries.org/art-and-artists/19235/ehrenbreitstein-mosel

notamermaid

The forecast for Kaub has been updated and the slight rise will not happen, stagnating then slightly falling is now the idea. It looks as if the level will not rise above 50cm for a few days... 78cm after the rain over the weekend is something one cannot even dare to hope for now. The S.S. Antoinette had a nice, lucky run to Amsterdam last week, having made it through the gorge. Now she is on her next journey and she has got as far upstream as Boppard in the Rhine gorge. Which is part of her normal itinerary. But, it looks as if the she will not make it further. As I have mentioned before, it is easier to sail a few kilometres into the gorge coming from Koblenz than it is coming from Rüdesheim. Her route on marinetraffic has been set to go Amsterdam.

It is all looking a bit hopeless at the moment, the latest report of the hydrology experts does not make my mood any better. The 18th update (!!! :classic_sad:) on the low water levels in Germany has been published this morning. With the almost now famous photo of tomatoes growing in the riverbed. Short English summary at the end: https://www.bafg.de/DE/07_Nachrichten/BfG_Niedrigwasserbericht_181107.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

They are basically saying: Overall too warm, too little rain, remarkably long period of drought compared to previous years of drought. And drought to stay with mild temperatures and too little rain. No real change in sight.

The river levels: Maxau 329cm, Kaub 43cm, Koblenz 39cm.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

ural guy,

Thank you for the photos. The mural in Koblenz is very new, only finished in July of this year. It is designed to draw attention to the Koblenz women's (emergency) helpline, i.e. domestic violence, etc. The artist did the mural for free. For location for the others: It is in Lützel, the suburb you get to when you cross the Balduin bridge. Only a short-ish walk (25min.) or cycle trip to the military museum from there.

notamermaid

Notamermaid-  Where were you yesterday?  As I was taking the picture, a local asked me if I knew who the girl was...he says he walks the bridge everyday, and she always catches his eye.

Beautiful day for my bike ride, 55kms in all, with a reward of some very good gulasch soup in Boppard.

Confession: it was an E-bike, or I would still be in Boppard.  My motorcycle seat is so much more comfortable.

25 minutes ago, ural guy said:

Notamermaid-  Where were you yesterday?  As I was taking the picture, a local asked me if I knew who the girl was...he says he walks the bridge everyday, and she always catches his eye.

Beautiful day for my bike ride, 55kms in all, with a reward of some very good gulasch soup in Boppard.

Confession: it was an E-bike, or I would still be in Boppard.  My motorcycle seat is so much more comfortable.

Ooh, not in Koblenz that is for sure. :classic_smile: Have not been for months. According to the regional newspaper, the young lady's painting is based on a real person, but the artist has not given away her name.

Boppard, a very nice distance. And beautiful weather indeed. It is so warm I cannot even wear my thin winter jacket. The autumn colours are still lovely, too. Yesterday, I saw a poster advertising a local Christmas market. I had a mild attack of "early Christmas stress". Which felt odd in beautiful sunshine at 14 degrees.

As the writer in the BAfG report (see post above) put it: "The year of not-ending Summer..."

notamermaid

Thanks for the info notamermaid.

I am confused by what these river cruise companies are actually DOING right now on the Rhine. I am guessing that this is a lower period of travel for tourists - in between the summer cruises and the Christmas market cruises, so...filler cruises, wine and such cruises. Therefore, there seem to be fewer river cruises on the Rhine, at the moment.

The Christmas cruises start to kick up at the end of November. Then...what is going to happen? I am on an Ama Basel to Amsterdam cruise 12/3. What parts of the river are impassable? Is it just the gorge? My ship is currently in Rotterdam. I am trying to figure out what I am looking at reasonably with this trip? Ship swaps for sure I am thinking, absent a good pouring down rain.

Like many, I have pre-cruise travel plans, and post-cruise plans. Prepaid, non refundable trains and hotels. I am stressing.