Back Again: $100 off $500 AMEX

DisneyDatknee

Here's something you can try. Ask your TA to add an order of $500 OBC to your reservation (assuming it is before final payment). Instead of paying for it in that screen, pay the balance toward your reservation, then it might work. If it is after final payment, then this method would not work because you would have to pay for the purchase right away and it will not generate a credit for the offer. I have done this for Princess, but haven't tried it with HAL yet.

I didn't have the offer on my Delta Gold SkyMiles card, but someone posted this link on the Princess board and it worked like a charm for my AMEX.

http://www.americanexpress.com/wlcl

Clicked on it, signed into my card and was able to add it. Hope it works for you too.

Sandi, THANK YOU for posting this link. I used this link to add the promo to three cards yesterday and successfully used the three this morning to make $500 payments on an upcoming Prinsendam cruise. That's another $300 we have to spend on our trip!

Thanks again!

Arie

Here's something you can try. Ask your TA to add an order of $500 OBC to your reservation (assuming it is before final payment). Instead of paying for it in that screen, pay the balance toward your reservation, then it might work. If it is after final payment, then this method would not work because you would have to pay for the purchase right away and it will not generate a credit for the offer. I have done this for Princess, but haven't tried it with HAL yet.

If it's before final payment you should be able to make a $500 payment toward the balance without jumping through any hoops.

If it's before final payment you should be able to make a $500 payment toward the balance without jumping through any hoops.

True if the balance is over $500, mine was less than $500, that's why I had to purchase OBC this way to get the credit before final payment. :)

Thanks for the link given; I now have the offer on my card.

Has anyone used this to pay partial balance on an upcoming cruise for which the initial reservation was made prior to the start date listed?

I had booked a cruise in mid-January and I think the offer states it is for cruises booked between 2/1 and whatever the end date is.

If anyone used it to pay for a cruise booked earlier than 2/1, what was the result?

Thanks for the link given; I now have the offer on my card.

Has anyone used this to pay partial balance on an upcoming cruise for which the initial reservation was made prior to the start date listed?

I had booked a cruise in mid-January and I think the offer states it is for cruises booked between 2/1 and whatever the end date is.

If anyone used it to pay for a cruise booked earlier than 2/1, what was the result?

We booked our cruise in December. Used the promo on both our cards. Had to set up a separate account for husband’s card. No problems. BTW, the promo did not show up on our card benefits, but following the link provided here, it was applied. One of the perks fo CC!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We booked our cruise in December. Used the promo on both our cards. Had to set up a separate account for husband’s card. No problems. BTW, the promo did not show up on our card benefits, but following the link provided here, it was applied. One of the perks fo CC!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great -- thank you!

Thanks! I was able to add OBC and it shows on AE as Holland purchase so here's hoping I will get the $100 credit. Wasn't aware of this trick and almost missing out on great offer. Cruise starting in a few days.

Did you end up getting your $100 back? How did the $500 purchase post on your credit card?

Did you end up getting your $100 back? How did the $500 purchase post on your credit card?
Not sure! The purchase shows it made payment to Holland America as 1 $500 purchase but still no credit yet. I called and the person I talked to said that it qualifies but could take up to 6 weeks to get the credit. Anyway it still shows on my card as still available for use. Will see!

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Forums mobile app

Not sure! The purchase shows it made payment to Holland America as 1 $500 purchase but still no credit yet. I called and the person I talked to said that it qualifies but could take up to 6 weeks to get the credit. Anyway it still shows on my card as still available for use. Will see!

Purchasing OBC through HAL does not qualify for this offer. At least it didn't work for me.

Exactly what was the merchant name that it posted as? The 6 week thing was BS. If it worked, it would have posted within a few days.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Reposted again. Bookings February 1, 2018 - May 31, 2018. Same terms and conditions $100 off $500 booking on the Carnival Family. AMEX only and usually applies to non-delta cards. Delta cards just take a while or you have to go through hoops.

Hasn't popped up on my account because I have a Delta card. clear.png?emoji-mad-1709

http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/amex.html

Isn't the AMEX offer only for North America? Edited by drsel

Curious to hear what changes in the terms you found this time that explains it not working.
I don't think the terms needed to have changed - it was always intended for new bookings only. The fact that it worked for other purchases was always in error, but one that no customer ever was upset about. I chalk it up solely to closing loopholes that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

I don't think the terms needed to have changed - it was always intended for new bookings only. The fact that it worked for other purchases was always in error, but one that no customer ever was upset about. I chalk it up solely to closing loopholes that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

I think you are correct, BUU! After going back to look at the term description, I found this: "Get a $100 statement credit after you use your eligible enrolled American Express® Card to spend $500 or more booking a cruise with Carnival Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Cunard or Seabourn between February 12, 2018, and May 31, 2018." I guess the magic word is "booking"!

I don't think it's a matter of closing loopholes. This is simply a matter of the charge posting under a different merchant than qualifies. It still works fine for existing reservations.

I think you are correct, BUU! After going back to look at the term description, I found this: "Get a $100 statement credit after you use your eligible enrolled American Express® Card to spend $500 or more booking a cruise with Carnival Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Cunard or Seabourn between February 12, 2018, and May 31, 2018." I guess the magic word is "booking"!

Remind me again, did you buy your OBC by phone or online? The way the charge posted, it looks like it was online. With the previous offer, it worked fine buying by phone.

I don't think it's a matter of closing loopholes. This is simply a matter of the charge posting under a different merchant than qualifies. It still works fine for existing reservations.
That's not clear from what people have been saying about it - some people seem to think that they did it the same way last time and it worked last time and didn't work this time. However, it doesn't matter with regard to what I'm saying, which is that we've benefited from what is essentially a mistake. The offer is clearly intended for "booking a cruise". When the offer is honored for anything else, including paying down the balance on account, it is a bonus, and one that we shouldn't expect to continue in the future.

I did buy it on line. Have to chalk it up to "lesson learned"! Will knock better next time.

Well, if you want to try redeeming it again, I would suggest calling HAL and purchasing that way. I'd buy the minimum to begin with, which I think is $25, and see how it posts. If it posts as Holland America Reservations, then you should get it. My next cruise is in June and I think I'll try buying $500 when I get closer to that date (once my AMEX bill closes for May).

Update: see my post after this.

Edited by MisterBill99

That's not clear from what people have been saying about it - some people seem to think that they did it the same way last time and it worked last time and didn't work this time..

OK I went back and searched this thread and you're right, a couple of people said they called and bought OBC and it posted as "web" rather than "reservations". I may try calling to buy $25 for my upcoming cruise and see how it posts. If it posts as web, then I won't bother with more.

We can agree to disagree over whether they changed the way the charge is posting as either a way to fix this loophole or just a change in their processes. My real disagreement was with the person who said that the written terms had changed this time.

BTW it could be worth contacting AMEX 60 days after the post to try to get them to manually credit it, since at least one rep claimed they the purchase should have qualified. Worst case they say no.