Dining times

Do you prefer My Time Dining or Traditional set dining and why?

I personally prefer traditional set dining because I like to eat a regular meal times and get to know the wait staff and our table mates. That said, our next cruise on the Allure in 2.5 weeks we will be dining mostly at specialty restaurants and MTD. LOL.

Another vote for flexible MTD dining.

Sometimes we never make it to dinner at all. Big lunch...too many

"happy-tisers" at cocktail hour...too late in the day.

There is always the option of the WJ for a late bite. It's very quiet in there after 8 pm..that is where you find most of the officers too. ;)

Another vote for flexible MTD dining.

Sometimes we never make it to dinner at all. Big lunch...too many

"happy-tisers" at cocktail hour...too late in the day.

There is always the option of the WJ for a late bite. It's very quiet in there after 8 pm..that is where you find most of the officers too. ;)

So you like the eye candy. :D

If you opt for MyTime do you have to pre-book times or can you just go to the dining room of your choice and get fit in? We did that on Carnival and never had to wait very long. Is it fairly quick on RC or long waits?

No you don't have to reserve a time for MTD. Only one dining room for MTD. You can show up when you're ready. Wait time will depend on the time of evening you decide to go. I've seen the hostess hand out guest pagers.

Edited by davekathy

I like to have the same table and waitstaff each night.

Also, we like to go to the shows, and the start times of the shows are based on early and late traditional dinner times. Makes schedule planning easier.

I'd say it never hurts to look but I've learned my wife slaps pretty hard.;)
Much prefer traditional late seating. If we have an excursion that gets back to the ship close to sail away tome we do not have to rush to make dinner. We also enjoy having the same wait staff.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

Much prefer traditional late seating. If we have an excursion that gets back to the ship close to sail away tome we do not have to rush to make dinner. We also enjoy having the same wait staff.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

Ok but I'm not sure what you posted has to do with my post you responded to. :confused: We prefer MTD.

definitely traditional. We tried MTD for the first time on our last cruise. I like walking into the dining room and being able to sit right away. I wouldn't have mind waiting but our first night of MTD we wait 35 minutes to be seated (then 15 min before an asst waiter even came up to us) the next night 15 minutes and this was with reservations. Our first 3 nights we were bounced around from dining room to dining room when I finally asked for traditional dining. They told us it wasn't available, but they did say if we came back the same times they would be sure to seat us with the same wait staff. Keep in mind the first 3 nights were all at the same time LOL. So when we arrived on nights 4, 5, and 6 there was some confusion, but by night 7 (9 night cruise), we were pretty much able to go in and sit at the same table. Just a PIA where traditional, you know when and where you are going for every night.

We have MTD but i seem to recall that on our last cruise i was able to go to the dining room early on sailaway day and change to a scheduled time - is that still a possibility?

Yes, pending available space.

Do you prefer My Time Dining or Traditional set dining and why?

We only do MTD, as we prefer flexibility, and are okay with just conversing with each other.

We have found for us that as soon as we get on the ship, we go to the MDR and make a reservation for that night. By then, we know when the show is. Then, each night, we reserve for the following night on our way out. Often, the wait staff knows when the shows for the following night will be, so we work around that. In this way, we almost always get the same wait staff, which we DO like. If we find we don't like the table location, then we do ask to change that up for the next night, but we've only had to do that once.

With the ships like the ALLURE, where you make reservations online, you can still change once onboard. Again, we almost always get the same staff. I imagine if you just show up when you want (which you can certainly do), you might lose that feature. And the lines at the MDR look INSANE when you show up, but I find they move fast and it seems like they accomodate most folks pretty quickly, even without reservations. (I would imagine, though, if you have a big group...you REALLY want to reserve in advance.)

We are not fans of MTD and prefer Traditional-late seating especially on cruises of longer that 4 days. We enjoy conversing with new and often interesting people from all around the states and world (Sweden and South Africa on our last two cruises). Getting the same wait staff is great.