Binoculars

Coffeeluvr05

Not princess specific, but we have our first Alaska cruise coming up and would like to get a set of decent binoculars. Cost is a consideration since we won’t be using them often. Recommendations?

We would like ones that we can also use from land. We live in Northern California and spend time on the coast and would love to be able to see whales in the distance from shore. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Binos are usually labeled as ## X ## (such as 50 X 10). The first number is how big the lens is (50mm) and the second number is the magnification (10x).

The larger the magnification, the closer the image, but also the more you will not be able to see due to shaking (unsteadiness). I think that 10 or 12 should be the maximum you should look for.

The first number dictates how clear and bright the image is (how much light is let in). With a 50, you could see pretty clearly at night with any moon out.

Most 10X50 sets will be pretty large and not as easy to carry as a smaller set (8X25).

If possible, stop by a sporting goods or outdoors store (Academy, etc) and try what they have on display to make a decision about what is best for you. Once you find that out, then shop for the best deal.

There are three major considerations - the size of the lens, the magnification and the quality. A larger lens will provide a brighter image so 40mm or 50mm are ideal. With a higher magnification it is more difficult to hold the binocs steady enough to give you a steady image. Usually a magnification of 7 or maybe 8 is good. Consider the weight of the binoculars and whether you can hold them steady. A pair with Image stabilisation would be great if your budget will go that far but you can get a good usable pair of binoculars without going to that expense. Obviously a better quality pair will be better than cheap ones, but whatever you decide to buy, try the individual pair of binoculars you are considering.

Hubby bought a pair on Diamond Princess on our last cruise in Nov /Dec.

He took his marine binoculars, which are nearly 50 years old, and he had a problem focusing. He was shattered as the joy of cruising for him is sitting on the balcony with his binoculars watching the ocean.

We went to the onboard camera shop and he was very sceptical about the two different pairs they had there, but he felt that beggars could not be choosers. He chose a small pair for AUD$100 and he loves them!

Yes, they aren't as good as his old beloved 50yr old marine ones, but they are small, light and for cruising they do what he needs them to do.

He's still on the lookout for a pair of Steiner's for a reasonable price though, LOL.

I can get you the name of them later, if needed, as he keeps them in his car and is at work now.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Back in my Navy days we used 10x50 or 12x50. They gave great magnification (10 or 12 power) but were rather heavy to wear, especially for hours at a time.

When I shopped for binoculars for our first trip to Alaska, I opted for a much lighter 7x50 pair. I found them quite adequate for almost everything I needed them for, including looking along shorelines as we sailed along, but I eventually replaced them with a 7x40 pair as these were much lighter and easier to carry around for extended periods which I've now used on two more trips to Alaska, wildlife trips to Yellowstone and the Rockies, and various cruises. They don't have quite the same field of vision, but I'm willing to make that trade-off for the weight and size.

I also have a pocket sized 6x23 pair. I don't like these for Alaska as the field of vision isn't as wide so it's harder to pick up wildlife, and the magnification isn't as high either. But my wife likes them as they are lightweight and very packable.

I recommend a 7x50 or 7x40, but nothing less for Alaska. As stated above, you need to try them out before buying them, even if you don't buy them in the store. I like to look as far as I can (out a door or window if possible). The right eyepiece should rotate; close your left eye and rotate the eyepiece until you get as clear a picture as possible, then open both eyes and move the center adjustment (could be a screw or a lever) until you can see clearly with both eyes (this adjustment will change based on the distance to whatever you're looking at, but unless you're sharing the binoculars, you shouldn't have to adjust the eyepiece every time). Get a pair with the best quality picture you can afford. When you spot that whale or bear, you'll be glad you did.

Go to a big box sporting goods place like Cabelas, Dicks, Bass Pro, etc... and try as many as you can. I find a big difference between low end stuff say under $100 and the mid-range stuff; say $150-$600. I'm fine with mid-range binoculars and generally always have a pair within arms reach when I'm driving or cruising. Some of the high end glass is incredible, but I just can't justify the cost vs performance.

Definitely, try them out at a big box store as was suggested.

I prefer wide angle binoculars. I find it easier to locate my target and stay on it. They are heavier than the small compact ones which my husband uses but the compact ones don't work for me because of their narrower field of view (FOV)

You need to try and see what works best for you.

Oh ... and if you wear glasses regularly, you'll want a pair that allows you to keep your glasses on when using them.

Ah, going to Alaska. Very Good. However, the rumor is, it might rain on any given day. So, I always take my rubber coated, water proof, Nikon Monarch 10x42.

They have served me well on 3 previous cruises to Alaska and will go back again this June.

The rubber coating stands up well to the minor bumps and bangs the happen during a day of running around taking photo's. And, it they are hanging around my neck and a sudden rain event happens, I don't worry.

Bob

I've had Vanguard Endeavor 10x42s for years and been very, very satisfied. (Though the 10x42 might be overkill for you...or not. If you're birding, the field of view is a bit smaller but the extra magnification is great...as long as your hands are steady.)

I did a lot of research before buying them, and the consensus of optics experts was they were almost as good as more famous name brands...at a fraction of the cost. (They have 4 1/2 stars on amazon.) Waterproof and fogproof, too. They are made in China, but have an amazing lifetime warranty. Supposedly even if you drop and break em, they'll be replaced.

After a lifetime of "good enough"optics, the Vanguards were big step up. About $250 and worth it.You could spend 10 times as much on Swarovskis, but why?

If your asking this question, you have had no need for them up to this point. That being said you probobly wont need them after the cruise. My suggestion is call closest large "box store" to see if they carry them. If not large sporting goods store will do. Should be a couple in the $30-$45 range for you to try out.

We have a couple of pairs of relatively inexpensive binoculars. My pair is waterproof 10x42, which is great for taking with us kayaking. They're Rokinon, which is a Korean brand. DH has a low-end Nikon pair, also 10x42. His pair is wider and heavier than mine. Both work well enough for our needs. We get the most use from them at hockey games. I'll take mine along with us when we kayak and when we go on excursions, such as on snorkeling boat trips.

I second the suggestions to try them out before buying. And in Alaska, I think each person should have their own pair. I don't want to have to share.

For our Alaskan Cruise/Denali NP trip, we purchased a pair of Aspen Shasta Ridge 10 x 42 Waterproof Roof Prism Binoculars from a big box store. We are quite happy with them both on board the ship and during our hiking trips in Denali. The big box doesn't carry them anymore but an internet search shows prices in the $125 range. Of note is that they are American made and carry a "No fault, no problem warranty." Enjoy your cruise.

I ordered a pair of Celestron 7X50 binoculars from Amazon last summer, right before the solar eclipse. I had some 50mm solar filters from my amateur astronomy days, and they fit perfectly. The eclipse was wonderful through them, and best of all, the price was less than $40.

I once took mine and found the opportunity to use it very limited. The field of vision is tiny and they are extremely sensitive to vibration.

Your comment about vibration is correct. A tripod will transmit vibration from the ship whereas with a hand-held unit, the vibration is eliminated by the person's body.

I just used my hunting ones, Leupold 8x30 , and they were far superior to the ones my wife bought Bushnell cheapos about $100. You will see plenty of wildlife during the glaciers cruising, Eagles, otters, mountain goats, even some bears, tho we didn't see bears .

KandJ

Thanks for all of the information everyone! This is all extremely helpful! Now I know we at least need to try before we buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do a bit of research on how to adjust the diopter and focus before going. A competent sales person would walk you through this, but these days competence seems to be fleeting trait among sales people. FWIW, here is my version of the procedure:

Binoculars have a diopter (an adjustable ring below one of the lenses to focus it) and also a center focus adjustment for both lenses.

1.) Close your eye that is on the diopter.

2.) Find a subject at least 10ft away and adjust the center focus until the subject is as sharp as it can be.

3.) Switch eyes and adjust the diopter until subject is as sharp as it can be.

Now your binoculars are adjusted for the difference between your eyes and the center focus will be all that is required to make the image sharp at varying distances. This is why you may want two sets.