Wine Packages

2Xayear

As a 3 Star Mariner, we get a 25% discount on Wine Packages. I remember from past HAL cruises, they offered some sort of a Wine Package Special at the start of the cruise? Can anyone tell me if it might be advantageous to not pre-purchase and instead just wait until we board and check out the "special"? I don't remember if the "special" was even anything different that the pre-purchase options.

Bob

In my experience, the price for a wine package is the same whenever you buy it. The online advance price is different because it includes the service charge. On board, that's added to the published price rather than included, but it comes out to be the same.

I always want to check to see if the list on the glossy brochure is what they've actually got. If I see a wine steward as I leave the embarkation lunch, I'll ask about it there. Most often, I wait until the first dinner and buy the package then after talking to our wine steward.

I believe I've read that bar waiter tips are in their own pool. What about the wine servers in the MDR? Are they in the same pool? Does anyone track how well they do at selling wines?

I see no benefit to pre purchasing the wine package.

We did it once years ago. What is on the website may not be what is available on the ship so, we prefer to wait until we are onboard to order.

I think the wine stewards benefit more from ordering on board but am not 100% sure on that.

Also, when you pre purchase you are charged the full amount and have to wait until you are onboard to be credited your discount.

Jacqui, we were told (on Prinsendam in 2016 I think) that it is the wine steward who opens each individual bottle who gets the commission, not the one who sells you the package.

NOT doubting this information at all, but wouldn't the steward who sells the package get something?? Otherwise why the push to sell them? At least in my experience, we're asked several times/day early in the cruise if we want to buy a package.

We don't do it any more. It turns out not to be that much of a deal (regardless of stars) when the wines they list are out of stock and you have to turn to the non-package wines, as happened to us pretty consistently over the last couple of cruises...and nope, they don't compensate you with a better discount on the non-listed wine for not being able to use your package. Not to mention that they are very reluctant to go get a bottle that's in inventory at a far away bar.

We don't do it any more. It turns out not to be that much of a deal (regardless of stars) when the wines they list are out of stock and you have to turn to the non-package wines, as happened to us pretty consistently over the last couple of cruises...and nope, they don't compensate you with a better discount on the non-listed wine for not being able to use your package. Not to mention that they are very reluctant to go get a bottle that's in inventory at a far away bar.

Ooh, not good. That has never happened to us asfar as I can remember. If they have run out of a wine we ordered, they have always brought us something better, not made us pick another wine from our package list. And we have used wines from our package in all the restaurants.

My experience differs from yours. Rarely have they run out of a wine that is on the package list. Once, they did. The wine that was offered as a substitute was a better quality, more expensive/bottle wine than what was out of stock.

As far as going to another bar to obtain a wine, I have been pleased when a lounge bartender told me that he "would be happy" to go to another bar to get my desired bottle of wine. (I had not asked for that to be done and indicated that I would go get the wine.)

I've had the same good experiences that VictOriann and rkacruiser have had. In fact on the Koningsdam last January our MDR wine steward offered to track down our missing bottle of wine that the Pinnacle had misplaced the night before! He went above and beyond and was rewarded.

Same experience that I had on the Zaandam after my previous night's PG dinner. The wine did not make it to the MDR the next night and my Wine Steward found it "somewhere".

Jacqui, we were told (on Prinsendam in 2016 I think) that it is the wine steward who opens each individual bottle who gets the commission, not the one who sells you the package.

Interesting.

I thought that the wine steward who took the order got something but who knows? Not for me to worry about. I just order it on board at dinner. ;). That's the wine steward who will be taking care of us so that is where I place the order.

Ooh, not good. That has never happened to us asfar as I can remember. If they have run out of a wine we ordered, they have always brought us something better, not made us pick another wine from our package list. And we have used wines from our package in all the restaurants.

We've had the same experience Ann. If a wine is not available (and it has happened), we are offered a different bottle not in the package that is usually pricier.

Never had a problem using the wine package in any of the specialty restuarants. :)

Usually, I try to order my wine package once on board. I have found that there is a Wine Steward stationed at the forward end of the Lido Deck in front of the mid-ship pool. He has a display with all of the information one might require. Rarely, is he/she busy and has the time to speak with me and answer questions.

I have a feeling that this "duty" is just part of their job without any extra compensation. Just like those of the hotel staff who have gangway duty.

We bought our wine package on board in order to use our OBC. We chose the middle package of the 3 offered because it gave us a good selection of the wines we like. Saved a few dollars per bottle over what we would have paid per bottle in the MDR.