It reeks deck 13...

KyleClark

Hope you guys are having a good time so far, not sure if you did a status match but if so it seems that you cannot use Tepanyaki for the comp meal if you are Black card level. Be interested to hear different if you are.

Hope you guys are having a good time so far, not sure if you did a status match but if so it seems that you cannot use Tepanyaki for the comp meal if you are Black card level. Be interested to hear different if you are.

It’s 6am here and I have got jet lag!

Driving down to Key West later.

We did do status match couple of years ago.

We will let you know re the restaurants. Also drink upgrade and butter...

I am going to do a living thread from a European / British point of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Could this smell be caused by Diesel which is burned by the engines? I could smell this too on Seaside during my back to back cruises and it seemed to originate outside close to the aqua park. The engine stacks were close by. I heard that Venezuelan fuel is purchased from some of the ports that MSC visits because it is cheaper. Not sure if this is true.

Regardless of where the fuel was refined, or where the crude stock came from, there is a worldwide maximum on sulfur content of 5% in residual fuel oil. Now, having said that, it is possible that the more midships placement of the stacks is causing downdrafts as sidari thinks, and the exhaust from burning residual fuel is a totally different odor than when burning diesel fuel. Not sure of Seaside's itinerary, but when outside 200 miles from the US coast, she can switch from diesel fuel to residual fuel, or deactivate the exhaust scrubbers, whichever way the ship uses to be in compliance with the North American ECA. And the diesel fuel burned in the NA ECA must be below 0.1% sulfur.

I just got off the Seaside on Feb. 3rd. There was a definite sewer smell many places on the ship but especially when getting off the elevators mid ship. The flushing system was not working properly so when you went into the public restrooms each of the toilets were filled with s**t and unusable. They would not flush. Our toilet in our cabin would not flush several times. My son had to leave his cabin at 1:00 am to go find a working toilet since his would not flush. They definitely have a problem with their vacuum system. In 44 cruises I have never experienced a problem of this magnitude before.

Cheng ... I am guessing that they carry out some sort of wind tunnel tests on new model ships ? if so you would have thought that this would have shown up any exhaust emission issues due to moving the stacks forward but clearly it maybe cannot deal with an altering or swirling wind.

I recall some time back complaints of soot on the aft balcony rails of Divina and we did come across it a few times on the original T.A to Miami which again is a likely cause of wind direction.

Cheng ... I am guessing that they carry out some sort of wind tunnel tests on new model ships ? if so you would have thought that this would have shown up any exhaust emission issues due to moving the stacks forward but clearly it maybe cannot deal with an altering or swirling wind.

I recall some time back complaints of soot on the aft balcony rails of Divina and we did come across it a few times on the original T.A to Miami which again is a likely cause of wind direction.

Soot is common in aft section on many lines. On Carnival I had a aft balcony, on a cruise, and our chairs had soot on it. Most recently on my Carnival Vista cruise...we were sitting out in Havana pool area and all of a sudden a spray of soot came falling down on all of us??? Within minutes a ships officer was out back in our area...checking the soot and apologizing and ensuring any clothing was given to our cabin room steward for complimentary cleaning. It happens!!

I came back to my cabin last night and smell wasn't as strong, it was still there but very faint. This morning though it came back and when we returned now it is still faint. We walked down deck 15 this morning and noticed it in one part there.

I just got off the Seaside on Feb. 3rd. There was a definite sewer smell many places on the ship but especially when getting off the elevators mid ship. The flushing system was not working properly so when you went into the public restrooms each of the toilets were filled with s**t and unusable...

The smell was much worse and throughout the ship on the Jan 27 to Feb 03 sailing, but much better on the Feb 03 to Feb 10 sailing. Captain Massa talked to me about it at the M&M and acknowledged they had been working on a fix that was implemented later during my first week. I work in a repair shop and know diesel fumes, the smell was a sewer stench. I only smelled it mildly two times around the Forest aqua park during the second week.

They don't do very extensive wind tunnel (actually computer simulation), because aerodynamics is less important to ship efficiency than hydrodynamics.

Soot usually appears when they start a diesel. It also happens at night when they clean the boiler tubes by injecting steam into the boiler to remove the soot (blowing tubes, for you old Navy salts), and also when they "nut blast" the diesel turbochargers (inject ground walnut shells to clean the turbocharger blades). If possible, the engine room and bridge co-ordinate on this to swing the ship for a short period of time to put the wind on the beam to minimize the possibility of soot landing on the ship, but it isn't always possible.

I just got off the Seaside on Feb. 3rd. There was a definite sewer smell many places on the ship but especially when getting off the elevators mid ship. The flushing system was not working properly so when you went into the public restrooms each of the toilets were filled with s**t and unusable. They would not flush. Our toilet in our cabin would not flush several times. My son had to leave his cabin at 1:00 am to go find a working toilet since his would not flush. They definitely have a problem with their vacuum system. In 44 cruises I have never experienced a problem of this magnitude before.

Can't comment on why a new ship has vacuum problems, but the vacuum toilet system does not contribute to a "sewer smell" that is generally around the ship. The vacuum toilet system is a closed system, with no vent, unlike the sanitary drain system in your house. The only time you would smell anything from the vacuum system is when the plumbers open the system to clear a clog, there is generally nothing in the lines above the clog, since the loss of vacuum has prevented any more toilets from flushing, so little to smell to begin with, and they typically (mine always did) use a deodorant in the adjacent passageways.

With the inexpensive fares I'm hearing about on MSC, and a new ship to the US, I'm just wondering how many of the pax are new to cruising, and flush things that they shouldn't?

This doesn't sound like much like soot or sulfur ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you are having a splendid vacation in spite of the sewer smell (it would dampen my experience so I hope you aren't as sensitive to the issue as me). Any updates are much appreciated :)

The smell is all gone. The Captain said that the high winds while docked in Cozumel came in from the right side causing a problem with the outlets on the ship. He did say they had a temporary fix with long hoses but had broken while in Cozumel. Maybe the Chengkp75 can elaborate.

Note: BB2014 has never stepped on Seaside!

Lots of negative posts, yet zero experience on this ship.

I smell something.

Not a MSC fan, but also not a hater either...please enjoy crusing on whatever line you do enjoy!

Allow me to hold up a mirror.

NMSunset has never stepped foot on any MSC ship.

Lots of attacking those who point out room for improvement, yet zero experience on any MSC vessel.

Only 37 posts, with the majority discounting negative experiences.

BTW, only 37 posts using this screen name?

I smell something.

Hope everyone has a SUNSHINY cruise :)

The smell is all gone. The Captain said that the high winds while docked in Cozumel came in from the right side causing a problem with the outlets on the ship. He did say they had a temporary fix with long hoses but had broken while in Cozumel. Maybe the Chengkp75 can elaborate.

Sounds like they are trying to route the sewage tank/plant vents away from the AC intakes using some 8" "accordion" hose, but that the wind may have caused their jury rig to break down. This aims me more towards them putting an extraction fan on the tank/plant vent to push it up further above the ship as a permanent solution.

Just like New York City! Maybe she should sail from there!?

Oh, come on now, no need to denigrate one of America's safest and most diverse towns. NYC probably brings in more foreign tourist dollars than the entire Midwest. We're also the country's major financial market, which brings in Billions of foreign capital.

Some people hate California and NY, yet we supply over a full third of America's GNP. Without our economic power, America's other 46 continental States would still be in a deep recession.

I also fail to see how this comment has any constructive use to the OP's topic. Even as a joke it fails miserably.

Smell or no smell? I guess my point is why does MSC get blamed for this? MSC did not build this ship, they contracted with a shipyard who built it. Blame the engineer who built and or designed this part of the ship. As for the vacuum system, it only works as smart as the user. If the user puts somthing into the system of course it is going to malfunction. I think the builder is to blame here and this has nothing to do with the quality of the MSC product itself. I understand those who had to suffer through the smell do not care who is to blame but I say we give MSC a change to rectify this with their engineers before we write off an entire ship or shipping company.

Fincantieri are hardly to blame for the issue unless of course workers deliberately set the system up wrong.

The designer(s) are likely at fault for the issue and possibly others for not testing the equipment.

Ships are rushed out of shipyards too soon and certainly before everything has been tested correctly.