What type of cabin do you prefer?

Joebucks

We did an aft ext balcony for our first cruise last Dec - 3 day to Bahamas. It was great! But we did not use the balcony as much as we probably could have...still, we booked another aft balcony for a longer (8 day) cruise for similar time in Dec 2018, with the intent of actually using it this time.

In a few weeks we'll be on a cruise with an Interior room - it was by far the more affordable, since we are taking my Mom along in a separate cabin.

Then next year, it's a Grand Ocean View - looking forward to enjoying that view!

What will be interesting is whether, after all that variety, we decide that an interior guarantee is sufficient, because we spend all of our waking time out on the Lido deck or at the Promenade bars!

Personally, I gotta go interior. As someone who doesn't like to stay in the room for long, I'd rather save the money and do a second cruise.

Yep, that(y) After getting an interior for the first time a few years back, I'd never spend the extra money again on anything else. I'm in the room to sleep and change basically, and that's it.

Balcony! I've done interior, oceanview, and balcony and I much prefer the balcony and am will to spend the money for it and cruise once a year (or once every other year, depending on other trips we have on the calendar and life busyness in general). We very much enjoy sitting out our balcony at all times - morning with room service coffee and light snacks, mid-day if it's busy on deck, at night after dinner with a glass of wine or champagne. Anytime we're in our room, we're pretty much on the balcony. My DH has cruised in oceanviews and balconies and won't sail in anything but a balcony. And my parents have also only cruised in balconies and won't choose anything else. They'd feel too claustrophobic in an inside.

It's all about personal preference, which is one of the great things about cruising!

We've had OV and balconies, with the aft-extended being our favorite cabin type. Just love to sit out there in the evening with a glass of wine and see the ship's wake. Decided to splurge a tad this year and get our first ever suite. I got it primarily for the tub, since my wife has MS. I'd like for her to be able to relax after being on her feet feet all day.

My wife and I love having a balcony.

We will order room service and then sit out their with our tea or coffee in our robes, enjoying the breeze.

At night I like going out and watching the waves below that are lit up by the ship's lower lights.

Seeing the flying fish and other ocean life is pretty neat.

It is also nice because we tend to get "hot" easily at night. We bring a small fan with us, but it is great being able to open the door for a cool night breeze.

That being said, we sail with another couple that only book interior.

Like others have said, they prefer the total darkness it affords.

To each their own!

Oceanview is the minimum I will do, and I believe that they offer the best value for my preferences. I’ve done interior staterooms twice on short cruises, but they made me feel anxious and claustrophobic. Kinda diminished the overall enjoyment of those cruises. These days I won’t even look at interior stateroom prices because I’m not going on that cruise if it’s in an interior stateroom.

I will get a balcony if the price difference is not substantial, so we go back and forth between OV’s and BL’s. I’ve only done a suite one time and that was for my honeymoon 14 years ago.

But for our next cruise we are going to bump things up considerably. We have booked a double deck Aurea Duplex Suite aboard the MSC Meraviglia, with separate living and dining room, upstairs bedroom in a loft setting, 2 full bathrooms, and open deck with its own jacuzzi tub, in addition to a long list of perks including unlimited access to the Aurea Spa. Can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

I find no additional value in an outside cabin. The windows do not open and there is plenty of light in an inside cabin.

What light? It’s the lack of natural light exactly the reason why I don’t do interior cabins.

I find Oceanview staterooms to be the perfect value. Plenty of natural light and great views without having to spend much more. And at least on most Carnival ship classes, you get considerably more square footage on oceanview vs Inside cabins which adds a nice sitting area with a sofa.

I have been on two cruises starting last year. Everyone told me I had to do a balcony. So we did that for the first one. Let me tell you, that is quite a feeling getting out there for the first time. We probably only sat out there for a total of 1-2 hours the entire trip though.

Then for the next one, we decided to go a little cheaper. A porthole was the first choice, but we didn't want to be on the bottom of the ship. The action is not down there. So we did an interior on 8. It was right below Lido. We could walk up with easy. We figured we weren't missing out on anything. Obviously, the view was no longer there, but the room was fine. We were always out and about anywhere where views of the water are not rare.

Personally, I gotta go interior. As someone who doesn't like to stay in the room for long, I'd rather save the money and do a second cruise.

You know, I have stayed in balcony, porthole, window and interior. I have not had a bad experience in any of them. I go for the money. My criteria is usually about $100 per day per person is the max I want to spend. So if it meets the criteria and I want to see the ports, that's where we go.

My sister and I booked a spa interior on the Splendor so I'm very excited about that room.

PS I'm fearful of staying in a suite or flying first class, because I may never want to step down. ;p

Jenny

What light? It’s the lack of natural light exactly the reason why I don’t do interior cabins.

The light coming from the TV tuned to that channel of the front of the ship. I love it. The best of both worlds. Interior room with a Ocean View.:D

Unfortunately for my bank account, I have learned that I must have a balcony. I told myself prior to the last cruise that I really did not use the balcony that often, so I booked an OV. I missed that balcony to the point of not really enjoying the cruise. In the mornings, I walk out and sit on my balcony for a few minutes, when docking, I sit on my balcony, anytime I want a few minutes away from the crowd, I sit on my balcony and most of all, late in the evening when the day is done, I sit on my balcony. Just cannot do without it.

I have never had an interior but I was in my friend’s interior and it felt stifling. As someone else said, absolute minimum would be oceanview and a sofa.

That’s interesting. It was the exact opposite for me. I am extremely claustrophobic and never thought in a million years could I do an inside. I visited my friend’s’ cabin and thought it wasn’t bad. Then we had 2 cabins. Ours was OV, my son’s’ inside across the hall. I forced myself to spend about 30 min in it alone and I was shocked when I didn’t feel one minute of panic. Ever since then, insides it was if I couldn’t get a super cheap deal on an OV! Never had an issue.

Even in my HC cabin 9292 with the huge bathroom. I was seriously worried about that one. I purposefully booked that particular one because it was close to Lido. I had all intentions of sleeping out on the deck if I needed to. But I was fine.

We love our balcony cabins but we also spend a lot of time out there. For those that don't use them much I can understand not caring and preference for lower cost rooms. On our upcoming April cruise we have an OV because we originally had friends traveling with us and figured we would not be in the room much. Unfortunately that is no longer the case and now we wish we had the balcony but they are not available. I'm sure the cruise will be fine but it's lost some of the excited anticipation for us.

As has been said, everyone has their own feelings about what works for them. If we only had the option of an inside or stay home, we would stay home, but that's just us.

Our sweet spot has mostly been OV. We like being down on Deck #1 with great access to the gangway for port calls. Now we certainly have enjoyed Balcs in the past and, depending on the ship and number of sea days, there's times when that price differential is worth it for us. Only did an Interior once but I could envision a circumstance on a shorty cruise. It's all good. We've got FEET of snow on the ground in Chicago right now!

I prefer any cabin I can be in. We've had balconies, OV and interior. I like a balcony to sit outside while DH gets ready, to have a drink before we go to bed, and to sit and read quietly when I need a break from all the people/noise up on deck.

That being said, we'll be in an interior on our upcoming Veendam cruise and a balcony on the Miracle. I'm sure I'll love both cruises. So far I haven't met a cruise I didn't like. :cool:

We are NOT ones to hang out in our room, we like to be social but we have to get a balcony..otherwise even for those few minutes in the am or in the pm we are in our room we feel Closter phobic..our first cruise we had a balcony...didn't use it too much so our next cruise we only had a window and felt totally closed in...we have only sailed with a balcony since....maybe we sit out there late at night winding down but use it very little otherwise but just having it there helps us feel better so we get them.