Disappointing

ExDean

The cruise lines pump TAs very heavily to vote for them. It's really incredible and should be stopped. The companies that win the awards are the ones who pressure people the most to vote for them. All of these awards are a total joke IMO and I immediately delete any email from cruise lines that demand votes for their line. They mean absolutely nothing so pay no attention to them.

Hmmmm.... I went through them and noticed that Coral Princess and Pacific Princess were mentioned in quite a few categories. I think Grand Princess was actually mentioned once in the large ship category. Coral was in the medium sized category and Pacific was in the next to the smallest category. Can't remember the name of the category.

There is nothing scientific about the polling in these awards. It is totally a popularity contest based on who can scare up the most votes. I didn't get any FB or e-mails from Princess with a link to the voting site.

It's based on Cruise Critic Reviews not e:mails to Travel Agents

The cruise lines pump TAs very heavily to vote for them. It's really incredible and should be stopped. The companies that win the awards are the ones who pressure people the most to vote for them. All of these awards are a total joke IMO and I immediately delete any email from cruise lines that demand votes for their line. They mean absolutely nothing so pay no attention to them.

My comment about not getting e-mails from Princess was a reference to the e-mails I got from other lines. Exactly right--the vote is a matter of which cruise lines get the most people to vote for them. Obviously I can respond to a link in a communication from one line and vote for a different line, but they are counting on "their" guests to vote for them. The higher the percentage of past guests that any line can get to vote, the higher their ratings are likely to be.

Translation--as above, the awards are meaningless.

My comment about not getting e-mails from Princess was a reference to the e-mails I got from other lines. Exactly right--the vote is a matter of which cruise lines get the most people to vote for them. Obviously I can respond to a link in a communication from one line and vote for a different line' date=' but they are counting on "their" guests to vote for them. The higher the percentage of past guests that any line can get to vote, the higher their ratings are likely to be.

Translation--as above, the awards are meaningless.[/quote']

As I said above, that's not the Cruise Critic Awards. That is a different survey. The Cruise Critic awards that are being talked about here are from Cruise Critic Member Reviews. And they only seem to be meaningless when your cruise line of choice isn't up there. Otherwise everyone thinks it's wonderful :rolleyes:

As I said above, that's not the Cruise Critic Awards. That is a different survey. The Cruise Critic awards that are being talked about here are from Cruise Critic Member Reviews. And they only seem to be meaningless when your cruise line of choice isn't up there. Otherwise everyone thinks it's wonderful :rolleyes:

Ah - so it's Cruise Critic deciding which Cruise Line, etc. is best. According to CC it is "Based on customer reviews shared on Cruise Critic." Note this can only be on the Reviews completed in the "Write a Review" section of CC (which provide for numerical "grades") and NOT the reviews we see written here on the Boards.

How many of you who have written a review of your cruise here on the Board also went to the CC "Write a Review" section and filled out a review?

Ah - so it's Cruise Critic deciding which Cruise Line, etc. is best. According to CC it is "Based on customer reviews shared on Cruise Critic." Note this can only be on the Reviews completed in the "Write a Review" section of CC (which provide for numerical "grades") and NOT the reviews we see written here on the Boards.

How many of you who have written a review of your cruise here on the Board also went to the CC "Write a Review" section and filled out a review?

I usually do. I always have. And yes, you're correct, that's where the scores are tabulated from.

So in reading the comments here, it seems the answer to OP's question is No, this is not a wake up call to corporate. I'm sorry to see this as I think corporate needs a "kick in the pants" to stop eroding the on-board experience. Hamburgers replacing steak on the every day menu? Come on people, corporate needs a wake up call!

On the other hand, the 2017 Conde Nast Traveler poll placed Princess #3 in the large ship and #9 in the medium ship categories, ahead of HAL and X in both. (And Cruise Critic picks RCL and Carnival weren't on either list at all.)

But since I'm not cruising for the sake of approval from a random group of stranger, it doesn't matter much one way or the other to me.

Edited by shepp

Yeah, the Conde Nast is a reader poll and the cruise lines definitely troll for votes on that one.

Oddly, in the 11 years I've been sailing Princess (and as an occasional Traveler subscriber), I was never approached to vote. But if that's true, then corporate is presumably in fact on the case? Have you seen that trolling firsthand?

I wonder whether the types of passengers who take the time to write reviews have something to do with it, too. I did post reviews my first few cruises but, you know.... I've seen plenty of reviews that say stuff like, "Well, this was my first cruise and it was amazing!! For three days someone else made the bed for me every day and I didn't have to cook! Five stars!"

Now I do think that X may well be superior to Princess overall, but I wonder whether lines like Carnival and NCL that tend to cater to first-time cruisers may not be overweighted in the CC ratings, whereas Traveler (which I actually find to be a pretty stupidly upscale glossy) appeals to more, ahem, seasoned and discerning cruisers.

As said, it’s a popularity contest. Keep in mind that CC has a business relationship with RCL. Not sure if that has anything to do with the voting but with far more integration of RCL on CC, it’s bound to have an effect.

What is the "business relationship" with CC and RCL?

We were disappointed to see that Princess was virtually non-existent in the CC 2018 Cruisers' Choice Awards. The Big X ships took a slew of rewards. Maybe a wake-up call for Corporate?

You can take those awards and flush them in the toilet.

What is the "business relationship" with CC and RCL?
I don’t know the exact nature or how extensive it is but CC supports RCL and has special “Meet & Mingle” sign-up sections for all RCCL and Celebrity cruises that aren’t available for other cruise lines. At the very least, CC organizes roll call get-togethers for every RCCL and Celebrity cruise.

So in reading the comments here, it seems the answer to OP's question is No, this is not a wake up call to corporate. I'm sorry to see this as I think corporate needs a "kick in the pants" to stop eroding the on-board experience. Hamburgers replacing steak on the every day menu? Come on people, corporate needs a wake up call!

Why wake up? The ships continue to sail full even after all the cutbacks.

I thought these awards were meaningless. Large ships and cruise lines with a lot of ships got all of the awards. And others have pointed out that the ballot boxes were filled with organized voting. I felt dirty reading the results. Next year I won't waste my time. Just plain stupid.