Price differences Uk-US

di T

I wish Celebrity would offer UK cruisers the same perks as they offer US cruisers.

Currently Mediterranean cruises for 2019, booked in the US, come with perks from Oceanview category and above.

In the UK the 'offer' is Early Booking Guarantee.

The Early Booking Guarantee Promotion is applicable to new bookings made between the 17 October 2017 and 15March 2018 on selected cruise itineraries departing in 2019 and 2020. Guarantee stateroom bookings in class Z, Y, X, XC, XA and W are excluded from this promotion.

Guests making New bookings under the terms of this promotion shall be entitled,subject to availability, to make one change to an eligible booking of either a) a different ship or itinerary, b) another promotion on the existing cruisebooking or c) upgrade/downgrade their category of stateroom subject to such change occurring no later than the 31st December 2018. No loss of deposit or amendment fees shall be charged for such a variation save for payment of the difference in cost of the original booking and the revised price for such variation which shall be charged at the prevailing price.

This is hardly an incentive, and from what I have read on this forum something that is available all the time in the US. I just wish we could all be treated the same, we are all fare paying customers after all. I understand there will be fluctuations in price due to exchange rates, but what is the reason for not offering a perk for 2019? I know we in the UK can choose to book through a US agent, but why should we have to. I just don't get it.

I wish Celebrity would offer UK cruisers the same perks as they offer US cruisers.

Currently Mediterranean cruises for 2019, booked in the US, come with perks from Oceanview category and above.

In the UK the 'offer' is Early Booking Guarantee.

The Early Booking Guarantee Promotion is applicable to new bookings made between the 17 October 2017 and 15March 2018 on selected cruise itineraries departing in 2019 and 2020. Guarantee stateroom bookings in class Z, Y, X, XC, XA and W are excluded from this promotion.

Guests making New bookings under the terms of this promotion shall be entitled,subject to availability, to make one change to an eligible booking of either a) a different ship or itinerary, b) another promotion on the existing cruisebooking or c) upgrade/downgrade their category of stateroom subject to such change occurring no later than the 31st December 2018. No loss of deposit or amendment fees shall be charged for such a variation save for payment of the difference in cost of the original booking and the revised price for such variation which shall be charged at the prevailing price.

This is hardly an incentive, and from what I have read on this forum something that is available all the time in the US. I just wish we could all be treated the same, we are all fare paying customers after all. I understand there will be fluctuations in price due to exchange rates, but what is the reason for not offering a perk for 2019? I know we in the UK can choose to book through a US agent, but why should we have to. I just don't get it.

I don't get your post?

Why do you think you are disadvantaged? You can book in the US like many of us Brits do if the offer is better for the individual cruise you want?

You're lucky. You can choose to book the deal you prefer either in the UK or the US. What's the problem?

I don't get your post?

Why do you think you are disadvantaged? You can book in the US like many of us Brits do if the offer is better for the individual cruise you want?

You're lucky. You can choose to book the deal you prefer either in the UK or the US. What's the problem?

Like you, I have booked through an online US agent to get a better deal before now. But I shouldn't have to. I was stating that it seems wrong for a company to treat their customers differently depending where they happen to reside. Why give beverage packages, paid grats, or OBC to only some of their customers? Sometimes it may be reversed and the UK have a better offer, but it is usually more beneficial to book at US prices with extra perks.

Celebrity in the US will not take a booking from a customer in the UK, or at least they wouldn't a couple of years ago. Why not just offer everyone the same, after all we are all buying the same product?

Like you, I have booked through an online US agent to get a better deal before now. But I shouldn't have to. I was stating that it seems wrong for a company to treat their customers differently depending where they happen to reside. Why give beverage packages, paid grats, or OBC to only some of their customers? Sometimes it may be reversed and the UK have a better offer, but it is usually more beneficial to book at US prices with extra perks.

Celebrity in the US will not take a booking from a customer in the UK, or at least they wouldn't a couple of years ago. Why not just offer everyone the same, after all we are all buying the same product?

Here in the US, some TA will offer better prices than others or the cruise line. Some TA will offer better perks as well. Should all TA only offer the same prices and perks as the cruise line?

It has been cheaper to book in the UK since the Brexit vote in June 2016. The price difference is significant in favour of the UK due primarily to the exchange rate that Celebrity are using to calculate their UK prices. A factual example of this is when booking an onboard cruise they use $1.69 to 1GBP to calculate the deposit when the actual rate has been as low as $1.22 to more recent $1.40 to 1GBP.

You beat me to it!

In all my experience of watching Celebrity prices and the exchange rates, it is clear that "exchange rate" used by Celebrity has little direct relation to the official/tourist rates.

If a company like Celebrity had followed the drastic drop in sterling exchange rates following the Brexit vote they would have lost the market they had been growing in the country, perhaps for good. If you consider that people often purchase cruises (and, in the UK fix prices) two years in advance, it is always very much an exchange rate gamble. Celebrity has to take a long-term view of exchange rates in any market with non-refundable deposits.

As absolutely no one knows what will be the final outcome of the vote, and will not for some considerable time yet, it is very likely that companies such as Celebrity have made the decision to wear out the storm and only truly adjust for the exchange rate different when the future is known. Then, if rates return to ones similar to those prior to the referendum, they will have not lost a large and growing market for no reason.

I’ve been saying for years on CC to check both sides of the pond before you book and take into consideration all your other requirements. For some it’s not just about obtaining the price drops, but about the flexibility that booking in the US allows. The prices on any cruise, wherever booked, can fluctuate greatly due to reasons outside anyone’s control.

Take a couple of years ago when the suites on Med Cruises were practically being given away (remember one of the Hosts on CC (think it was Host Jazz) took her first suite cruise due to the plummeting price drops). PH for 10 nights at $2000. There again, last year Asian cruises were a third cheaper on the U.K. site compared to the US, then 8 months out the prices on those started falling too and if you’d booked in the U.K., you wouldn’t have been able to obtain those drops. It’s swings and roundabouts - you win some, you lose some.

Whilst I don’t try to monitor exchange rates I always compare Celebrity direct UK pricing against our Miami based agents whom we have used for several years.

For our most recent booking the £ price was £1120 each includ8ng all fees etc. The US agent price was $1141 for the same cabin.

Needless to say I quickly booked and paid, using my excellent UK credit card (in $) which offered near perfect exchange rates and no fees. I got a final rate of $1.35 to the £.

No idea why prices differ but quite happy with what we paid. Shame the prices dropped after final payment though, but that’s life.

I understand the point you are making, but that's not how the world works. If booking in the UK your ATOL and ABTA guarantees need paying for etc.

Personally I prefer to have access to both market places as it gives more opportunity to find better value. If we had uniform prices globally I believe I'd end up paying more than I do now.

As for exchange rates, they can be relevant, they can also be a massive red herring.

If booking two years in advance then they are certainly something that should be considered. But if booking after final payment date where you're paying in full at that time they're irrelevant.

On popular itineraries during peak times it can be prudent to book as soon as the prices are released for some cabin classes. High end suites regularly sell out early and suites in general often increase significantly on these trips, so the exchange rate would be worth factoring in then.

But it absolutely does not affect many trips. Just go and take a look on third party cruise price monitoring sites now and compare the $ and £ pricing. The sae trip can vary by as much as 50%. Then you have reductions from TA's who have block booked rooms and are looking to sell there inventory. All of this needs to be factored in.

It’s swings and roundabouts - you win some, you lose some.

Absolutely. We scored a ridiculous back to back price in december using Celebrity UK off the back of the Caribbean hurricanes.

However this was for a CC and AQ booking. I did hope that suite prices would also plummet so we could upgrade. Suite pricing in the UK remained more or less consistent and it was only other rooms that had their prices slashed to ridiculous levels.

At the same time, although non suites were discounted in the US, they were still approximately 60% to 70% more than in the UK and did not include a beverage package like the UK offering did! However a few days later, suite prices took a tumble in the US but stayed the same in the UK.

I would have been delighted to have booked suites at those US prices but because we'd made a UK booking we could only upgrade at UK pricing.

Still, I knew that at the time of booking and rolled the dice.

Our Asian Millennium october 2018 booking was made onboard with 2 perks and extra OBC. Despite this being made on a Celebrity UK sailing out of Southampton, I insisted that they transfer my booking to our US travel agent which they eventually agreed to do so. I did this out TA would add a further $250 OBC which seems good value for completing one small form! :D:D

That booking was made at $2999 per person. The price subsequently dipped to $2509 so I rebooked at that new lesser rate whilst allowing us to keep all of the perks. I would not have been able to save almost a thousand dollars per couple if we had not insisted on having our booking transferred. The same sailing today is $3249 with one less perk.

The point I'm making is to others, that it's all a game. Learn all of the rules and pros and cons of US vs UK bookings and you can save a lot of money. You just need to put a little bit of effort in.

Absolutely. We scored a ridiculous back to back price in december using Celebrity UK off the back of the Caribbean hurricanes.

However this was for a CC and AQ booking. I did hope that suite prices would also plummet so we could upgrade. Suite pricing in the UK remained more or less consistent and it was only other rooms that had their prices slashed to ridiculous levels.

At the same time, although non suites were discounted in the US, they were still approximately 60% to 70% more than in the UK and did not include a beverage package like the UK offering did! However a few days later, suite prices took a tumble in the US but stayed the same in the UK.

I would have been delighted to have booked suites at those US prices but because we'd made a UK booking we could only upgrade at UK pricing.

Still, I knew that at the time of booking and rolled the dice.

Our Asian Millennium october 2018 booking was made onboard with 2 perks and extra OBC. Despite this being made on a Celebrity UK sailing out of Southampton, I insisted that they transfer my booking to our US travel agent which they eventually agreed to do so. I did this out TA would add a further $250 OBC which seems good value for completing one small form! :D:D

That booking was made at $2999 per person. The price subsequently dipped to $2509 so I rebooked at that new lesser rate whilst allowing us to keep all of the perks. I would not have been able to save almost a thousand dollars per couple if we had not insisted on having our booking transferred. The same sailing today is $3249 with one less perk.

The point I'm making is to others, that it's all a game. Learn all of the rules and pros and cons of US vs UK bookings and you can save a lot of money. You just need to put a little bit of effort in.

I totally agree! I do my research when looking to book a cruise and most of the time my agent in the states gets me the best deals and of course the flexibility. But I book 4-6 cruises a year most with Celebrity and most far out! We do book in the UK occasionally when the deals look good but after final payment isn't usually an option because of flights etc. Thanks for all the feedback! and carry on enjoying the cruising everyone. Dianne

No need to apologise - a robust exchange of views.

I am scratching my head to recall a dispute settlement which has greatly benefited the consumer, in the travel sector, apart from the EU flight delay regulation. Has that increased the cost of sales to the cruise industry??

Not actually a dispute settlement, but an example of greater consumer protection:

While we were on the Silhouette in October, the low-cost airline with which we'd booked our flights went into administration. The UK Government set up a brilliant back-up system of flights to repatriate every single passenger in Europe who would otherwise have been stranded.

We enjoyed the whole cruise, and flew back to the UK on one of these special flights, just 90 minutes later than the Monarch flight would have landed. Much of that was financed by the fees which tour operators and airlines pay into government protection schemes.

The US people on our cruise were incredulous that the UK government was repatriating all the passengers free of charge without any impact on the holiday at all.

Stuart

Celebrity Eclipse sailing on 18/03/2018 :-

2D balcony room.

Booking with Celebrity UK £1789 ($2505) per person. This includes port fees and taxes as all UK bookings do. There are no additional perks.

Booking with our big box US TA $1299 (£928) per person . This does not include taxes and port fees but does include OBC of $125 per cabin (From the TA). Taxes and port fees would be approximately $130 (£100) per person.

So ask yourself if you're based in the UK and looking for a late deal well past final payment date do you want to pay £1789 here in the UK or approx £1028 by booking in the US. I say approx as there would be foreign currency charges on your credit card and the port charges are only approximate, but the charges would be minimal considering you're saving approximately 70% on the cost of the cruise.

Just so there are no misunderstandings, once onboard it makes no difference whatsoever who or where you booked through.

Currency exchange based on rates provided by www.xe.com today. Celebrity UK pricing taken from their website today. US TA pricing taken from their website today also.

Edited by Mynki

Then here's the flip side. These are prices for an A1on the 11 night Celebrity Summit sailing which commenced on 12/12/17.

At that time the exchange rate was £1 = $1.31

The UK price was £509 ($711) per person including port charges and taxes as well as an included Classic beverage package which would have cost $713.90 to purchase onboard.

However booking in the US would have cost $949 + taxes and port charges with NO PERKS.

summit.jpg

Then here's the flip side. These are prices for an A1on the 11 night Celebrity Summit sailing which commenced on 12/12/17.

At that time the exchange rate was £1 = $1.31

The UK price was £509 ($711) per person including port charges and taxes as well as an included Classic beverage package which would have cost $713.90 to purchase onboard.

However booking in the US would have cost $949 + taxes and port charges with NO PERKS.

summit.jpg

The A1 price was likely higher than 949. Ever since Celebrity changed the way you look at cabins to book this site has only been able to get the price for the lowest in that category.which would be an A2. However, if you're a captains club member you could get the A2 pricing for an A1. But just so everyone knows, this site's pricing is now wonky.

Celebrity Eclipse sailing on 18/03/2018 :-

2D balcony room.

Booking with Celebrity UK £1789 ($2505) per person. This includes port fees and taxes as all UK bookings do. There are no additional perks.

Booking with our big box US TA $1299 (£928) per person . This does not include taxes and port fees but does include OBC of $125 per cabin (From the TA). Taxes and port fees would be approximately $130 (£100) per person.

So ask yourself if you're based in the UK and looking for a late deal well past final payment date do you want to pay £1789 here in the UK or approx £1028 by booking in the US. I say approx as there would be foreign currency charges on your credit card and the port charges are only approximate, but the charges would be minimal considering you're saving approximately 70% on the cost of the cruise.

Just so there are no misunderstandings, once onboard it makes no difference whatsoever who or where you booked through.

Currency exchange based on rates provided by www.xe.com today. Celebrity UK pricing taken from their website today. US TA pricing taken from their website today also.

I often travel solo. The difference would be £1520 approx.

;)

Annie

I personally feel that I have done more training than an Olympic athlete in getting the best deal on my cruises with all the twists and turns involved.

A new Olympic sport perhaps?:D

A degree course perhaps.

Just to add another ingredient, check also EU rates. They come with the added advantage that final payment date is 6 weeks before sail date. Their consumer protection is draconian but there is absolutely zero chance of benefiting from price drops.

Annie

The A1 price was likely higher than 949. Ever since Celebrity changed the way you look at cabins to book this site has only been able to get the price for the lowest in that category.which would be an A2. However, if you're a captains club member you could get the A2 pricing for an A1. But just so everyone knows, this site's pricing is now wonky.

The pricing was confirmed with an email from our US TA. On that occasion it was accurate. I posted the pic to show the differences across the range of cabins and to illustrate the large differences customers can experience either way. :)

Mynki:

You posted the following line in a previous post, "If booking in the UK your ATOL and ABTA guarantees need paying for etc. " Could you give a short explanation of what they are.Thanks

Basically Government-run schemes to protect travellers if either an airline goes bust (ATOL), or a package-holiday company goes bust (ABTA). Companies pay a levy into the scheme for every flight or holiday, and the schemes recompense people if a company goes bust. Hence the organisation of my flight after Monarch went into administration - see page 2 of this thread.

Stuart

A degree course perhaps.

Just to add another ingredient, check also EU rates. They come with the added advantage that final payment date is 6 weeks before sail date. Their consumer protection is draconian but there is absolutely zero chance of benefiting from price drops.

Annie

Well put. I have noted that there are also different promotions to UK and US...

Mynki:

You posted the following line in a previous post, "If booking in the UK your ATOL and ABTA guarantees need paying for etc. " Could you give a short explanation of what they are.Thanks

What Wiltonian said. In essence it's enhanced consumer protection that applies to UK bookings.

I always pay for travel on a credit card as well to benefit from the card companies consumer protection and always have travel insurance, just in case. I think a lot of Brits are very wary about booking holidays abroad and prefer the perceived safety of booking at home. But personally I've found it hassle free. Using a US TA you may receive additional OBC and don't have to worry about using the Celebrity website. Any questions, queries or concerns are emailed to the TA and have always been responded to painlessly in my experience. So far anyway...

Basically Government-run schemes to protect travellers if either an airline goes bust (ATOL), or a package-holiday company goes bust (ABTA). Companies pay a levy into the scheme for every flight or holiday, and the schemes recompense people if a company goes bust. Hence the organisation of my flight after Monarch went into administration - see page 2 of this thread.

Stuart

I thought I remember reading somewhere that they are almost guarantees that nothing will go wrong in your trip. If memory serves me, I see to remember something where people were reimbursed because the ship missed a port. Not just port charges but a credit for not going to that port.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that they are almost guarantees that nothing will go wrong in your trip. If memory serves me, I see to remember something where people were reimbursed because the ship missed a port. Not just port charges but a credit for not going to that port.

If you remember where you read that, I would be interested.

For many years UK consumers paid a 2% levy on all package holidays to build up the fund.

I wish :)

Annie