Anyone on Navigator right now .?

phillipahain

Captain’s noon status would indicate we will be into Kota Kinabalu Saturday, as per schedule. So people getting on in Singapore should be ok unless another problem comes our way. We are missing Semerang, our second missed port on this segment of only seven ports. It is too bad to miss Borobudur but there is nothing any of us can do.

Just got a letter from the captain explaining the incident and apologizing for the inconvenience. Regent will give everyone a future cruise credit of 10% of this segment’s fare. I had not expected any compensation since this was something out of their control, so I certainly appreciate the gesture of goodwill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also in the captain’s letter to the passengers was the information that we will not arrive at Kota Kinabalu until 2 PM, 5 hours late. Two of the four tours there were scheduled to be 6 and 8 hours respectively so they will have to be scrubbed or significantly altered. Destinations on board has no information on the revised plans for tours. We had been scheduled for the 8 hour tour to Mount Kinabalu Park. So now we basically have lost 3 of our 7 ports on this cruise. Don’t feel 10% future cruise credit is sufficient compensation for what we have missed. The world cruisers may feel differently as a couple of missed ports among 65 or so is not that big of a deal.

Hope all is well with the pax. Ship issues would best be left to people on board the Navigator. More accurate, don't you think?

Now. Let's speculate what Regent will do for the passengers on this unexpected delay if it continues for

any length of time. I have to think some of you already have opinions.

Sorry if you did not appreciate that the information came from an outside source. I was only trying to be helpful. I will now slink back over to the SS board with tail between my legs. LOL

labonnevie,

I understand the frustration, especially if you traveled a long way to go on this cruise. But with all due respect, asking for compensation because of missing three ports is not quite accurate. We missed Exmouth because of weather, and no cruise line would ever provide compensation for this. So it was really only a day and a half that we missed. The incident in Bali, as unfortunate as it was, was not the result of any mistake, but an effort not to kill someone. Yes, we were inconvenienced, but I would never have considered asking for compensation. The rule still applies: if you absolutely have to be somewhere, do not go on a cruise because there is always the possibility that you will not be able to get into port.

BBWC, nicely put. It is frustrating and at times like that one feels rather helpless and at the mercy of events beyond our control, which for many here, is thankfully rather rare. I think most of us who have cruised for a while have had similarly disappointing experiences as rcandkc describe. We are mere passers-by of the Falkland Islands, for example - but would we rather have risked life and limb to go there in spite of weather warnings? Not at all.

A year ago on our Australia and New Zealand cruise we missed Milford Sound and 2 ports due to weather. We got some shipboard credit, so they have been pretty generous with you in my opinion.

RCANDKC; We were on that trip too when 2 windows of the Compas Rose were broken. We were very sorry to miss the highlights of the trip.However we did NOT get any shipboard credit. Maybe because we never thought about asking for it.....:halo::cool:

Sorry if you did not appreciate that the information came from an outside source. I was only trying to be helpful. I will now slink back over to the SS board with tail between my legs. LOL

I really appreciated your input and feel that most posters feel the same. If it were not for your initial post, we would not have known about the incident until much later. Thank you for taking the time to let those of us on the Regent board what was going on.

Continue to enjoy your cruise on our favorite Silversea ship - the Whisper!

RCANDKC; We were on that trip too when 2 windows of the Compas Rose were broken. We were very sorry to miss the highlights of the trip.However we did NOT get any shipboard credit. Maybe because we never thought about asking for it.....:halo::cool:

We didn’t ask for it. It just came on our door envelope. We didn’t even use it. There was nothing we wanted to buy. Maybe it came because we were booked on a 7or 8 hour tour that we missed. Don’t know.

...The rule still applies: if you absolutely have to be somewhere, do not go on a cruise because there is always the possibility that you will not be able to get into port.

I couldn't agree more - we were on Mariner back in '15 and our first port was supposed to be Trieste, Italy - and we had to scrub it due to high winds and chop. The captain tried docking us several times with multiple tugs but to no avail, so we sailed on to Zadar. My wife and I were a bit upset since this was one of the ports we hadn't yet visited, but we understood the decision. Another gentleman on board, though, was much more distraught about missing the port - seems he'd been saving a LONG time for this cruise and he had family in Trieste he had planned to meet and spend the day with. Apparently he chose this sailing specifically because of the stop in Trieste. He even offered to make his own way to the next port if the captain could just get him ashore somehow so he could see his family...but there was no way to get him off of the ship.

So whereas we were somewhat disappointed to miss the port, this poor guy was absolutely crushed - in tears - and I'm sure it pretty much ruined the rest of the cruise for him. And all due to some unseasonable winds.

Yeah, cruising is a great way to travel but you need to be prepared for some disappointments along the way...

Absolutely concur with Travelcat. Knowing Victoria (and Bob) for many years, know their intent was honest transparency trying to keep Regent Cruise Critics informed as best as they knew at the time. As with all accidents, first and often follow on reports of the incident change as new information comes to light. Besides, knowing how much you both love and cruise Silversea, it was nice to see Emtsbam posting on the Regent board. And please no slinking ever and you’re welcome to post on this board anytime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As for missed ports-of-call:

Fortunate we did not absolutely have to get to The Falkland Islands to visit family, but was really looking forward, from the perspective of a retired Army guy, to that visit which would have focused on the invasion beaches and the route British forces took to get to Port Stanley during the 1982 war with Argentina.

Like, on two occasions several years apart.

Rough seas in each instance accompanied by high winds and driving rain. No complaints from passengers, as no one wanted to get off the ship on either occasion. It is my understanding the most-canceled port call in the cruise business is The Falklands due to location in the South Atlantic and problematic weather, no matter what time of year.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

GOARMY!

It is my understanding the most-canceled port call in the cruise business is The Falklands due to location in the South Atlantic and problematic weather, no matter what time of year.

No Regent ship stands much of a chance landing passengers in the Falklands. You have to have an expedition ship or at least a ship like Seabourn Quest which has zodiacs.

However, Seabourn Sojourn recently landed passengers at Tristan da Cunha using tenders which is pretty surprising.

No Regent ship stands much of a chance landing passengers in the Falklands. You have to have an expedition ship or at least a ship like Seabourn Quest which has zodiacs.

However, Seabourn Sojourn recently landed passengers at Tristan da Cunha using tenders which is pretty surprising.

Been there three times on Regent and made it 2 out of 3 times.

Victoria, no need to slink back to the Silversea board. Most of us appreciate the heads up on what is going on with Navigator.

To those who are bent out of shape about missing a port or two, if that is really going to ruin your trip, don’t cruise. We have missed lots of ports for lots of reasons on both Regent and Silversea, more on Silversea. 3 hurricanes, 2 huge windstorms, tugboat breaking down, dock workers on strike, locals refusing to allow our zodiacs to land, you name it. Stuff happens.

As for missing Kota Kinabalu, count yourself lucky. Worst lunch of any ever on a regent excursion (stewed lamb bones) and a long bus ride.

Hummmm...interesting comment about Tristan da Cunha,,,we are scheduled to anchor there on April 17th. Will we or won't we?

We missed the Falklands on the Mariner in 2011 due to wind and rain, but were able to pick up a supply of beer for PUB Night...all a matter of priorities...LOL

Rachel, After listening to the port talk on Kota Kinabalu we canceled the all day tour...sounds like it was the right choice.

Carolyn

We were on the Seabourn Quest and landed in the Falklands, but they used tenders, zodiacs are only for Antarctica.

Just another update. Apparently, we are facing very strong currents and are moving along much more slowly than anticipated, so the current arrival time in Kota Kinabalu is 5 pm. Captain will update us further, but it looks it may not be even worth stopping.

We were on the Seabourn Quest and landed in the Falklands, but they used tenders, zodiacs are only for Antarctica.

Just another update. Apparently, we are facing very strong currents and are moving along much more slowly than anticipated, so the current arrival time in Kota Kinabalu is 5 pm. Captain will update us further, but it looks it may not be even worth stopping.

Yes the Navigator can't seem to catch a break recently. Just before the announcement, new tour tickets were delivered to our suite with the new departure time based on the 2PM arrival.

Looking out the balcony door, the waves are one foot and the horizon and the balcony rail are staying level, not the case on many of the 60 days so far. It is the wind, though not strong, and the strong current that are both against us right now.

Edited by cwn

Don't let one comment put you off. I am very much appreciate your taking your time to post.

J

Re Kota Kinabalu, I second Rachel's observation and will say that the recreated cloud forest in the new botanic gardens in Singapore (Gardens by the Bay) includes everything we saw at KK in a far more accessible arrangement and without the need for a long, uncomfortable bus ride. The food is better too! If you have time in Singapore, I recommend a visit.

And emtbsam I too welcomed your post since we're about to board Navigator and I appreciated the heads up regarding the situation. Please, don't feel put off by the attitude of some people here.

Yes the Navigator can't seem to catch a break recently. Just before the announcement, new tour tickets were delivered to our suite with the new departure time based on the 2PM arrival.

Looking out the balcony door, the waves are one foot and the horizon and the balcony rail are staying level, not the case on many of the 60 days so far. It is the wind, though not strong, and the strong current that are both against us right now.

Carolyn, I had the same frustrations as you on the first segment. It seems like whatever could go wrong did. Jim is doing well now and walking on crutches. He is sorry he missed all the ports after Maui. Hopefully next years Mariner cruise will bring us better vacation vibes.

I'm loving your blog. I loved the pictures of the dragons! They were awesome and worth your near heat exhaustion. I hope smooth sailing for the remainder of your cruise.

Re Kota Kinabalu, I second Rachel's observation and will say that the recreated cloud forest in the new botanic gardens in Singapore (Gardens by the Bay) includes everything we saw at KK in a far more accessible arrangement and without the need for a long, uncomfortable bus ride. The food is better too! If you have time in Singapore, I recommend a visit.

I agree. At this time, I think we would prefer just to head to Singapore and spend some additional time there. Of course, that would depend on space available. Do not really need to go to Brunei again.

I agree. At this time, I think we would prefer just to head to Singapore and spend some additional time there. Of course, that would depend on space available. Do not really need to go to Brunei again.

I will drink to that idea also. We have not been to Brunei but would love to have more time in Singapore.