Richard Spacey

morourke

I'm clearly missing something because I simply do not get all the hype about ANY cruise director, much less Mr. Spacey. Are there really that many cruisers out there dependent upon a single person to ensure that a good time is had when they cruise? I've seen him show off his silly socks before and I guess it's sorta cute, but I've never looked to a cruise director on any ship that I've ever sailed to ensure that my days and nights were adequately filled with entertainment. So, it's an honest question.. What do CD's actually do, behind the scenes, that is?

Now I'm really intrigued. I am definitely going to go out of my way to pay attention to our CD on Equinox at the end of March. It happens to be Spacey. And to your point, the DH and I have cruised every March and every November and sometimes a few in between for the last 12 years. In all that time, it's never occurred to me to pay attention to who the CD was on the ship. I'm looking forward to really exploring this...

The cruise director has direct control of all the entertainment staff and entertainment options. If they're a good boss, that usually gets reflected in the passenger experience.

I'm clearly missing something because I simply do not get all the hype about ANY cruise director, much less Mr. Spacey. Are there really that many cruisers out there dependent upon a single person to ensure that a good time is had when they cruise? I've seen him show off his silly socks before and I guess it's sorta cute, but I've never looked to a cruise director on any ship that I've ever sailed to ensure that my days and nights were adequately filled with entertainment. So, it's an honest question.. What do CD's actually do, behind the scenes, that is?

The CD is responsible for all entertainment, including music and guest speakers on the ship. They can ask for certain performers and if they have real pull can get them. That can indeed make a difference in the total cruise experience for many.

The CD is responsible for all entertainment, including music and guest speakers on the ship. They can ask for certain performers and if they have real pull can get them. That can indeed make a difference in the total cruise experience for many.
Thank you for clarifying that; I was not aware that they had that much control over the entertainment process. It partially explains why we were so dissatisfied on our last Celebrity cruise in December. As I mentioned, this Spacey guy was departing the ship at the end of our cruise. He was never around, and this was from the staff when I discussed the pitiful entertainment onboard with them. It was their observation, not mine. It was the first time we ever felt that way in over 30 cruises.

I could care less about the CD's ability as a performer, but I expect and hope that they will put some effort into presenting a decent entertainment program for the guests. I don't need to be entertained 24/7, far from it; but I do expect more than promoting overpriced products and services as daily "activities".

I don't want to guess the art value, instead I prefer to listen to some live music and have a beer on deck on a warm, breezy sea day. I guess that is now a thing of the past.

We just disembarked from the Equinox this morning and Richard Spacey was indeed our CD. The cruise was great and we both enjoyed him, as he did a great job warming up the crowd and the entertainment was superb. They did spend a lot of time promoting the Edge, so I won't be surprised to see him wind up on that ship when it sets sail.

We just disembarked from the Equinox this morning and Richard Spacey was indeed our CD. The cruise was great and we both enjoyed him, as he did a great job warming up the crowd and the entertainment was superb. They did spend a lot of time promoting the Edge, so I won't be surprised to see him wind up on that ship when it sets sail.

Thanks for posting and welcome to CC.

• 2 weeks later...
We just spent 3 weeks on the Equinox and it was great. The rumor that we heard everywhere was that Richard will be going to the Edge.

Bad rumor. I believe that Maarten Breuls has been picked to be CD for Edge months ago.

Edited by Argo.

Is the same position on a new ship really a promotion or a lateral move?

I assumed it was as it will be the flagship but I would have also thought that there is not just one cruise director per ship and they would rotate. Also one would imagine that different regions/seasons may need different personalities.

He was the CD when on reflection in 2015 and I thought he was visible and people seemed to like like him. Has not been the same on other sailings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Equinox March 2-9 and Richard Spacey was the Cruise Director. I thought he was engaging, very funny and man, can he dance! I thoroughly enjoyed him every time we saw him on the ship. The Full Moon party was great and RS was up front and center dancing, getting the crowd amped up and ended by jumping fully clothed into the pool and got a whole bunch of people to join him. He was a great cruise director! Maarten (can't remember his last name) was our CD on Reflection last December and I just didn't care for him. Different people like different CDs, so it's all personal taste.