Outsmarted class system

Mopsymillar

Travelling in steerage as we do mean that we can take more cruises than one who pays for a suite at the same toatal cost. Besides once the person staying in the penthouse suite walks outside their door no one can tell the difference between them and us in steerage. Suite passenger may eat in Luminaire or Tuscan grill and me in the MDR but at the end of the 14 day cruise we have both put on too much weight. Those who worry about different classes of passengers don't have any

... it’s hard to begrudge someone that has the money and time to have obtained those levels.

And the resolve. There are only so many itineraries that Celebrity do and many of their ships are very similar. We perhaps are the only cruisers on Celebrity that would like to see some difference between the restaurants and menus on board. Oh not to have the Spring roll, beets and Prime Rib menu on the first night.

We love our land vacations and some of the great and varied hotels around the world too much to worry about being overly loyal to a cruise line in anticipation of some small benefit for being loyal

... Besides once the person staying in the penthouse suite walks outside their door no one can tell the difference between them and us in steerage. ...

Unless they wear their fancy dressing gowns to the pool or put their Suite Room key in a lanyard :D:D:-)

All of us began at the “bottom”with Captain’s Club... and enjoy the perks, like free laundry and internet hours...you are totally misjudging the majority of cruisers. None I know is loyal because of the perks. We are fun-loving and full of cruise-made friendships. Also, most of us have cruised other lines and are not self-made cheerleaders, but enjoy the friendships and Celebrity product at this point in time...

On my last TA, the people in the Penthouse participated in the cabin crawl and we had teams to play a scavenger hunt. Then we all had a party with prizes in their suite. It was for Cruise Critic roll call members and we all had such a great time together. Another member of CC had a Sig. Suite for our crawl...wonderful people! Actually, about 8-10 of us went to Rome and stayed at the same hotel. We all met on CC. I am cruising this April with quite a few cruise buddies.

I just hate to hear about anyone who feels like they won’t fit the Celebrity image or whatever...that is simply not true!!! The new ship, Edge, has created a rift, but only for some...

For many of us, Celebrity is about experiences and relationships, along with our glasses being half full! We have reached a time in our lives where we are very content with ourselves and want to really enjoy what life has to offer...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

Are you unsettled when you fly?

+1

...or when you pull into the lot at the grocery store and see you have the oldest car in the lot?? Doesn't bother me one little bit and yes, I am most certainly the one with the oldest car in the lot!! I book whichever cabin type I am willing to pay for and usually that is an ocean view. I am not the least bit envious of those in a suite. Obviously, it is what they are willing to pay whereas I am not.

Not at all. I find it quite pleasurable to stand at the top and gaze down on the various inferior levels of unwashed masses and miscreants!:cool:

l - LOL,that is what I think when looking up at the few, the mighty and the rich in suites!

bon voyage

We will be on our first celebrity cruise in May 18. This will be our fourth cruise and we've another booked for October this year.

Is it just me or is anyone else unsettled by cruisings archaic class system?

It sort of makes you feel unwelcome if you've not reached a certain station in cruising life:(.

So, what is your solution? Be specific. Doing away with the 'archaic class system' isn't specific.

I'm wondering if these class system threads will become as tedious as the dress code threads we've seen once people start sailing on Edge?

m - I Am afraid so, but it does provide some comic relief until my next sailing...

bon voyage

So, what is your solution? Be specific. Doing away with the 'archaic class system' isn't specific.

Yes...and what is it that you’ve read in particular that is so unsettling about the “archaic” class system. Share what you feel and why you feel that way...

It must be a sign of the times.

We've been cruising a long time. We've also been working a long time and still do even though were in our mid 70s. It's amazing what can happen if you start young and keep working and don't spend your time begrudging others. Just enjoy what you have while you have it...whatever it is.

In all these years I don't remember many people who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth. They must be out sailing on their own yachts.;)

My husband and I were too busy rowing to notice that people were looking down on us :(

Seriously, we feel welcome on Celebrity from the moment we are offered a Mimosa until the last night. No one knows or cares what color card we are carrying. During our first few cruises, the more experienced cruisers were happy to help newbies and share their travel stories. That's what hooked us. We met so many wonderful people. Not one asked us what our cabin class was or made us feel inferior because we were new. Go with a friendly, polite attitude and you will meet friendly, polite people.

We will be on our first celebrity cruise in May 18. This will be our fourth cruise and we've another booked for October this year.

Is it just me or is anyone else unsettled by cruisings archaic class system?

It sort of makes you feel unwelcome if you've not reached a certain station in cruising life:(.

Again , stop this crap. Same theme on other threads. SJW!!

Those who feel like they will be treated as "lower class" or similar terms on board Celebrity ships are finding needless issues to worry about. Perhaps work on self esteem prior to boarding will help. I don't understand this. No matter where you go in life, there will be people who have more and people who have less. It's the reality of life. I've found the people who sail X to be friendly and unpretentious. I'd recommend that OP looks at the cruise experience and enjoy what accommodations they purchased and not worry about what they didn't. There's plenty to enjoy onboard, from inside to top suite, and everyone aboard has at one time or another embarked on their very first cruise. Happy sails and calm seas!:)

You spend more,you get more. Isn't it that way everywhere? Nothing to do with class. A car with all the extras will cost more.same with houses. If you can afford it and want it,get it.

Laura

That definitely applies to the new Celeb where "suite life" if vastly different than the rest.

And so it should be too given what suite passengers pay. Somebody I work with always takes his holidays on a cruise and likes to tell me when he’s been upgraded to a suite and how many cruises he’s now taken and in what class of cabin, yawn!

Last few cruises we've been lucky enough to book a veranda stateroom with balcony the only downfall is one has to be ready to run inside when the uppercrust above us throw their dirty bath water over the side :P

2 questions for the OP:

1. What does the title of your thread have to do with your complaint? Who outsmarted what, exactly?

2. Are you sure you aren't guilty of one of the 7 cardinal sins? The green eyed one?

If one was insecure, one might consider the various ship loyalty or cabin categories to be an "archaic class system", I suppose. Or one might realistically realize that cruising is no different than the housing, car, airline or hotel industries, where cash is king and you get what you pay for.

You aren't being forced to sail in steerage, sleep 6 to a cabin in hammocks, or eat gruel at communal tables in the bowels of the ship. But if that's how you feel about cruising at the level you can afford, then perhaps you would be happier exploring land based options.