When to book excursions?

cruisingrookie

We are booked for August 24th departure and were wondering when we should have our excursions booked. Anyone booked this early? I don't want to miss out on what I want to do because we waited too long. Have to ease the hubby into booking...!!! He is a bit of a procrastinator..!!

Now is not too soon. The sooner the better. If you have what you want picked out, go ahead and get them knocked out. If you wait too long the excursions you want could be sold out. The more popular ones go quickly. Alaska has a relatively short season and limited resources so you need to get what you want while you can - you don't want to be disappointed. If you're going to stop at Skagway and wish to take the White Pass & Yukon train there's a possibility the online booking tool will show no tickets available for your date. It's not uncommon. If that's the case call the train office directly. I bought our tickets for May in January - online it showed sold out but by calling I was able to get what I wanted.

How important are some of these excursions for you? For example, if you really want to do a flight seeing tour you need to book now. Some excursions have limited availability, so if an excursion with limited availability is important then don't procrastinate.

We are booked for August 24th departure and were wondering when we should have our excursions booked. Anyone booked this early? I don't want to miss out on what I want to do because we waited too long. Have to ease the hubby into booking...!!! He is a bit of a procrastinator..!!

We sail in June, but have excursions that we booked back in September. I have peace of mind knowing my excursions are ready to go!

Our excursions are usually the small boat type or the ones that are very popular. Because there is limited availability, I book a year out for those that I can and for the others, I track them and book as soon as they are open for bookings.

As others have said as soon as possible especially if looking at options with limited capacity. We are going at the end of July and I started booking excursions as soon as I could towards the end of last summer into the fall. There are a few things we have booked that have since sold out due to their limited space.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's just as important to not book, until your plans are well thought out and firm. :) Then early is just fine. I late book my trips and pretty much am able to get the tours I want, so if not sure, there will be later booking choices.

You have been given excellent advice.

First do the research.

Determine what you want to do in each port.

Then determine if you need a formal excursion and if so private, started or shared through cruise line or if you can do it on your own.

Once you know then book them and realize that if you wait too long you might not get the one you want if doing it privately or even sometimes through the cruise line.

Keith

Yes book as soon as you know what you want. They do sell out and also as your cruise gets closer sometimes the price for certain ones increases. One that I booked for our June cruise is now ten dollars more pp.

If you change your mind, you can always cancel and get your money back or apply the refund to a different one.