Pay to upgrade?

warthog2608

I agree with everyone who has posted.:mad::eek:

NO!!!

Princess are you listening??

They don’t appear to be listening to any of their loyal passengers in regards to many topics lately.

Does this show desperation on their part to make money however they can at the expense of their loyal passengers?! Because they sure seem to be diluting and changing things a lot lately.

Just received an email from Princess that I haven’t seen before. For $49 per booking I can purchase Princess Advance Boarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What ship and sail date are you on?

There is another thread already going on this from someone who found the option available on their personalizer.

I sail in 2 weeks on the Caribbean Princess, and am curious about it...nothing on my passonalizer, and have not rec'd an email.

There is another way to look at this. If other people are willing to pay for some of these perks, it will keep my price lower. I have no problem with other folks paying for what they want, it makes sense to be able to customize their experience, like choosing to go to specialty restaurants, buying drinks, shore excursions. Think back to when you first starting cruising, what were the fares then? For me a balcony has been in the $100ish per person per day for over 10 years, so if Princess chooses to offer folks the chance to pay for upgrades, it helps defer the costs for the rest of us. People want choice, and Princess is giving all of us a chance to customize our experience. I fully understand why this site is called cruise"critic". Cruising is the best bargain anywhere. A 3-4 star hotel, room service, maid service, going to different ports with sea days in between, good enough to great food with lots of choices and no dishes or cleaning to do. Try that anywhere on land at these prices!

Priority reserved seating in the Princess theatre will be next...banked

and I'm not so sure that would be a bad thing as to my knowledge, that is currently not an earned perk

NCL does this, along with a huge number of other paid "upgrades," which is one of the reasons I don't cruise on NCL.

Princess response on Twitter :

There is a test program and space will be extremely limited. Also, Advance Boarding guests will not board until after Elite and Platinum guests, and guests traveling in Full Suite or Club Class Mini-Suite accommodations.

11:39 AM · Mar 3, 2018

That's great, provided that the enforcement at port happens the same way it is written. Unfortunately, on Carnival's FTTF program, boarding at port is frequent not the same as their written policy. But yeah, that's Carnival....

There is a test program and space will be extremely limited. Also, Advance Boarding guests will not board until after Elite and Platinum guests, and guests traveling in Full Suite or Club Class Mini-Suite accommodations.

Oh, thanks for this - I'm Platinum, so wouldn't need it.

Still curious about it, tho

Friends are Carnival loyalists and they rave about FTTF.

There is another way to look at this. If other people are willing to pay for some of these perks, it will keep my price lower. I have no problem with other folks paying for what they want, it makes sense to be able to customize their experience, like choosing to go to specialty restaurants, buying drinks, shore excursions. Think back to when you first starting cruising, what were the fares then? For me a balcony has been in the $100ish per person per day for over 10 years, so if Princess chooses to offer folks the chance to pay for upgrades, it helps defer the costs for the rest of us. People want choice, and Princess is giving all of us a chance to customize our experience. I fully understand why this site is called cruise"critic". Cruising is the best bargain anywhere. A 3-4 star hotel, room service, maid service, going to different ports with sea days in between, good enough to great food with lots of choices and no dishes or cleaning to do. Try that anywhere on land at these prices!

Anything to keep the price lower for the rest of us.

I wish they would increase the base price on each passenger by $10 and get rid of the art auctions.

I have another idea to both save then money and resources as well as generate revenue.... offer an option in the personalizer for $5 fee they will stop leaving all junk mail (only leave patter and disembarkation paperwork).

I would buy that in a second:)

Princess also tweeted that they are trialling it for 3 voyages on Ruby Princess only.

Weren't there other ships with this coming up? Perhaps IT haven't restricted it in the personalisers yet.

Edited by dides

Oh, thanks for this - I'm Platinum, so wouldn't need it.

Still curious about it, tho

Friends are Carnival loyalists and they rave about FTTF.

FTTF (see above) contains many more perks than just initial boarding priority. The value of this list of things depends on how there system proceeds for people without "rank" or FTTF. If $49 per cabin is buying someone the dining time they want and could not otherwise get, 2 more hours on shore in tender ports, etc. it might be "worth it" to some people. If it is basically getting them on board 30 minutes sooner, they need a few more cruises to generate more "rank" in the Carnival system.

I believe that Carnivals' Faster to the Fun works because there was no established "levels of loyal traveler's rewards"...but to change gears on Princess' Captain Circle rewards (Elite and Platinum) will undermine many of us who value this perk of boarding early (then to start charging money for early boarding for all else).

What ship and sail date are you on?

Ruby Princess, March 17.

As others mentioned looks like it is a test on the Ruby. But I’m Platinum so it wouldn’t help me anyway. They emailed everyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess also tweeted that they are trialling it for 3 voyages on Ruby Princess only.

Weren't there other ships with this coming up? Perhaps IT haven't restricted it in the personalisers yet.

I'm on Royal, where it showed up for my cruise next weekend, and have no Ruby Princess Cruises booked at all.

Go figure.

Since wedding groups, BVE and handicapped also board first, anyone shelling out $49 for the "perk" will be in the sixth group to board, a couple of minutes ahead of general boarding.

They may fool a number of people to pay the $49, but I bet hardly anyone will purchase it a second time when they see the two minute advantage it gives them over the start of general boarding.

Cheaper to pay for a BVE if it's available. Only $39 per person and it's applicable to a future cruise booking. Much better deal. Of course most sailings don't offer a BVE but it's something to consider. Personally, I won't pay for "advanced boarding" or whatever they call it. Stupid idea best left to the FTF crowd on another line.

I've "heard" that this really only puts you at the head of the line for the non-priority folks. If weddings, BVE, Elite, and Platinum all still board before the folks who pay the $49 how much "faster" is one really boarding?

Princess also mentions on twitter for perks besides advance boarding.

We're currently running a pilot test on Ruby Princess for 3 voyages only. Guests with Princess Advance Boarding will be among the first to enjoy amenities onboard and access to book activities like Shore Excursions, Speciality Dining, and Sanctuary reservations.

Princess also mentions on twitter for perks besides advance boarding.

We're currently running a pilot test on Ruby Princess for 3 voyages only. Guests with Princess Advance Boarding will be among the first to enjoy amenities onboard and access to book activities like Shore Excursions, Speciality Dining, and Sanctuary reservations.

I interpret that to mean is once you are on board (early), you can then book those activities. So the quicker you can board, the faster you can sign up to spend money.

So the only real benefit is that you are in the sixth group to board the ship, assuming you arrive before boarding starts.

I believe anyone purchasing this can board after Elite and Platinum passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While that may be what you believe, it is not what Princess has posted:

Originally posted by reedprincess Princess response on Twitter :

https://twitter.com/PrincessCruises/...60338316779522