Dinner times in MDR

KY Deb

We are taking our first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam, partial transit of the Panama Canal in 2019 with a group of friends. Some people wanted the early dinner seating, and I was told by the travel agent that it was at 6 PM. However, I just read a review of another HAL ship in the Caribbean and the reviewer said the early dinner was at 5:15. Is that true? Way too early for me, but our group is about 28, so really can’t do anytime dining. So what is the early seating time?

Normally, early seating is at 5:30, and late seating is at 8:00. In Alaska the times can be 15 minutes earlier.

Open seating starts at 5:15.

That TA should know better.

• 7 months later...

We have booked 3 individual cabins; how can we make sure that we are seated together for dinner? That will be the one time (at least) a day that we meet up and do something together as a group.

This is my first time travelling with HAL and I haven't cruised in over 8 years.

We have booked 3 individual cabins; how can we make sure that we are seated together for dinner? That will be the one time (at least) a day that we meet up and do something together as a group.

This is my first time travelling with HAL and I haven't cruised in over 8 years.

One of your TA's needs to have all 3 cabin confirmations. Then that TA can call HAL and request a table for all of you.

-

Thinking of taking first HAL cruise on Konningdam. 5:45 is just a bit earlier than 6:00, but it sounds very early. Is there another type of dining included in the cruise fare other than the set times. We would be in balcony cabin.

Thanks for any replies.

-

You may go to "Anytime" dining and go to dinner whenever you wish. If you want, sometimes you can ask the Maitre d' to reserve the same time each night for you. I don't think you can do this for the whole cruise but for several days at a time.

We have just returned from a seven day Alaska cruise on Volendam, and reserved the same table all week for 7.45pm after the first night. The fixed dining times were just wrong for us, as 5.15 is ridiculously early. I was really surprised at how many people opt for that time. Interestingly, it seemed as if us Europeans and the Aussies prefer the later times in general.

During one of our Boston/Montreal/Boston trips, we decided we would try early seating to see what it was like since it seemed many chose that time. We managed to finish the first week of the trip on early seating and then changed to our usual Main seating. We sometimes shortened our shore trips so we could get back and ready for dinner. It was hurried and did not allow a relaxing drink or walk around the deck before dinner. It did not work for us but I can see if you are an early riser or an early-to-bed person to prefer the early times.

It's nice that there are choices for everyone--Early, Main, Anytime.

We are taking our first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam, partial transit of the Panama Canal in 2019 with a group of friends. Some people wanted the early dinner seating, and I was told by the travel agent that it was at 6 PM. However, I just read a review of another HAL ship in the Caribbean and the reviewer said the early dinner was at 5:15. Is that true? Way too early for me, but our group is about 28, so really can’t do anytime dining. So what is the early seating time?

That is my problem as well 5 PM hour is waaaay too early for me and tends to draw a lot of families and more experienced in life individuals while the 8 PM is waaaay too late for me as by 6 I am gnawing on the furniture. My cruise in April for the first time I am doing freedom choice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 8:15 AM, mcrcruiser said:

imo any time dining is the best for total flexibility . Can then decide to go to the MDR or one of the special restaurants or even go to the buffet . This time of dining imo gives the greatest flexibility 😜

And, based on my other postings cannot believe I am about to say this, if I don't feel up to dressing for formal I have the buffet option.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:22 AM, IbizaLover said:

We have just returned from a seven day Alaska cruise on Volendam, and reserved the same table all week for 7.45pm after the first night. The fixed dining times were just wrong for us, as 5.15 is ridiculously early. I was really surprised at how many people opt for that time. Interestingly, it seemed as if us Europeans and the Aussies prefer the later times in general.

Wondering why you didn't just opt for fixed main dining (8pm) for the cruise. Only 15 mins later than your chosen time, and you get the same table for the entire cruise, including the first night. 😉

As we hadn’t been on Holland America before, we didn’t want to commit ourselves to fixed dining in advance. We wanted to see exactly how things worked in the MDR first. As it happens, we had our own fixed dining anyway at the time we chose and the table we chose after the first night. Yes, only 15 minutes before the 8pm fixed time, but this can make a difference when you are waiting a while for your order to be taken and food arrive.