Chartered Ship

Mochama1

i just found out through a cruise critic roll call that my cruise for next January 2019 has been chartered. I researched the info and indeed Inspiration Cruises has an advertised music cruise on my dates and ship. Oosterdam 1/19/19. How do I know if it’s a full charter and if I will be bumped off, or a partial charter ? What are my options ?

Thank you for any insight... this has never happened to me before.

Mochamama,

Have you learned any more aboout the status of your cruise? Has the ship been chartered? Was your b ooking cancelled?

i just found out through a cruise critic roll call that my cruise for next January 2019 has been chartered. I researched the info and indeed Inspiration Cruises has an advertised music cruise on my dates and ship. Oosterdam 1/19/19. How do I know if it’s a full charter and if I will be bumped off, or a partial charter ? What are my options ?

Thank you for any insight... this has never happened to me before.

I've been on several cruises with large groups. My experience with large groups is it depends on the group. Some, even though large, are almost invisible once out of their meeting rooms. Others take over the ship far more and it can become uncomfortable for passengers who are not members of the group.

My first cruise with a large group was easy and if I had not known there was a large group on board, I would not have known. They attended the sessions in the Main Show Lounge or other meeting rooms and never bothered the other passengers. This past cruise in December/January with the JazzDagen group was awful! I think it was classified as a partial charter, in which not only did the group have use of public spaces, but they had some control over the daily program and the activities onboard. And the group's passengers were rude and pushy. They generally assumed that everyone onboard was a part of their group. It was not a good experience and if I find another cruise I am considering has that group onboard I will definitely find another cruise because I will absolutely NOT travel with them again.

But I'd definitely keep an open mind about any groups on board. Most of my experiences have been very good and except for a couple of times I was looking for someplace quiet to read my book and the lounges/Public spaces were reserved for a private function, I had no issues at all with the groups. In fact, I would not hesitate to cruise again with the seeing eye dogs group. Beyond seeing the extra boxes for doggy relief at the front of the ship, I didn't even know the dogs were on board! Though I did find it hilarious that one passenger on that cruise complained to the Front Desk that the dogs were "allowed" to go swimming in the ocean at Half Moon Cay. The descriptions of how the dogs contaminated his beach space and the ocean water were some of the best entertainment I had on that cruise!

I recommend calling HAL. Even if its a partial charter, it can be very disruptive. HAL refers to them as groups but a partial charter by any other name is still a partial charter. Good luck.

Not true.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2972

I think, however, that the article is misusing the term "charter". That is not how HAL refers to "partial charters."

OP: I think I would reconsider that cruise. Previous posts on other threads have indicated that this group can be rather disruptive (for lack of a better word).

star2.bmp A full ship charter is when an entity, usually a corporation or major affinity group, approaches a cruise line and says, "We want to take over X ship on Y sailing date."

ayscharterharleycruise.jpgstar2.bmp A partial ship charter comes into play when a group wants only some cabins. They do have to meet a minimum: Some cruise lines will only draw up a charter contract for 50 percent or more, while others will consider a 20 or 40 percent ship charter. For example, there is a special interest group of motorcyclists ("Hogs on the High Seas") that books a partial ship charter twice a year. Upfront payment isn't required here -- but payment and cancellation terms are more stringent than for the honeymoon couple or family of four booking just one stateroom, and heavy penalties apply for non-booked space.

star2.bmpThe third option is technically not "chartering" in the true sense of the word, but rather blocking off a number of cabins as group space. This is more commonly a technique employed by travel agents, where applicable; they buy cabins "in bulk" and then pass the extra savings on to their customers.

And that is what Sail is saying - it is not a true charter, and the term "partial charter" is a term only of convenience. We are on a HAL website, and they prefer to use the term "groups",

I'm not going to get into the scab picking that goes on on these boards, but I want you to know something - if you continue with your booking and Inspiration Cruises is on the ship with you, you'll never have to wait in line at a bar or happy hour. We were on 1 cruise with about 50% of the ship being the IC folks; they never bothered us at any time, as they used the theatre, etc., during the day, and of course, didn't drink (at least in public . . . the mini bar folks said they were kept running at all hours from the IC group), so we were fine. Your mileage may vary.

Let us know what you decide.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Thanks for reminding us that there is an upside to everything!:D

And that is what Sail is saying - it is not a true charter, and the term "partial charter" is a term only of convenience. We are on a HAL website, and they prefer to use the term "groups",

Thanks, Tampa Girl,.... THAT is exactly it :)

I get what you're saying but some can't seem to understand the point I was making. I do have some travel agents in my family who have experience organizing charter groups. Almost all the cruise lines, including HAL, will draw up a charter contract for the large groups who book a large block of rooms and require booking through the group's website. HAL might call these "groups" to the general public but professionally, they are still drawing up charter contracts to those groups, whether its a full ship charter or a partial ship charter.

But alas, I promise I'll let it go now. At the end of the day, it's a potato/potahto thing and not a big deal. I just wish some folks understood that 2 people can say the same thing but in 2 different ways. :)

I get what you're saying but some can't seem to understand the point I was making. I do have some travel agents in my family who have experience organizing charter groups. Almost all the cruise lines, including HAL, will draw up a charter contract for the large groups who book a large block of rooms and require booking through the group's website. HAL might call these "groups" to the general public but professionally, they are still drawing up charter contracts to those groups, whether its a full ship charter or a partial ship charter.

But alas, I promise I'll let it go now. At the end of the day, it's a potato/potahto thing and not a big deal. I just wish some folks understood that 2 people can say the same thing but in 2 different ways. :)

Understood and accepted.clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care if one calls it a "partial charter" or a "large group", if I find out one is on my cruise I am MOVING to another sailing. Been there and done that!!! The cruise I was on "they" were called a "large group". They took over the lido pool on our only sea day! It was a beautiful day and around 11 am the staff started closing off the lido pool. I can tell you there were lots of complaints including me. Also took over different parts of the ship at different times. And the dining room for a full seating. Forget that! As far as I am concerned if I am paying for it I should be able to use it!

So referring to a transit of the Panama Canal, I take it you’d also not be able to comprehend the idea of a partial transit - because the definition of transit doesn’t allow for only a partial.
Actually saying "partial" transit is redundant. If you just go through the Gatun locks you have transited them, and therefore done a PC transit. The definition of transit is

• 1.the carrying of people, goods, or materials from one place to another:

OTOH, charter means exclusive use, and you can't have something that is partially exclusive.

Actually saying "partial" transit is redundant. If you just go through the Gatun locks you have transited them, and therefore done a PC transit. The definition of transit is

• 1.the carrying of people, goods, or materials from one place to another:

OTOH, charter means exclusive use, and you can't have something that is partially exclusive.

YES, yes, yes and yes...... EXACTLY right. :)

Has the question been settled? : )

I would say no one cared any longer, as this thread had set idle for 7 days. Why the need to dig it up again if you don't have anything pertinent to add to the thread?

Edited by TrolleyGirl
spelling error

I would say no one cared any longer, as this thread had set idle for 7 days. Why the need to dig it up again if you don't have anything pertinent to add to the thread?

W ell, Ms. Trolley Girl , I would say.

Here is the need, seeing you needed to ask:

. I live in the Northeast and we have had a series of blizzards, snow storms and many of us suffered lengthy p;ower outages. I have just days ago recovered my heat, lights and wif fi, power to my house. . thus I was away from CC during the time I had no power in my home. I am playing catch up at the momen t.Perhaps you could cut a little slack,,, NOT that I or anyone need your approval or permission to post, however, seeing as you expressed an opinion......... I'll accept your apology in advance. :)

When YOu don't know what you don't know.. hmmmm

Unless there was a change while I was cut off from the outside world, Host Walt is the only Moderator on this forum.

Edited by sail7seas

W ell, Ms. Trolley Girl

Here is the need, seeing you needed to ask:

. I live in the Northeast and we have had a series of blizzards, snow storms and many of us suffered lengthy p;ower outages. I have just days ago recovered my heat, lights and wif fi, power to my house. . thus I was away from CC during the time I had no power in my ho. Perhaps you could cut a little slack,,, NOT that I or anyone need your approval or permission to post, however, seeing as you expressed an opinion......... I'll accept your apology in advance. :)

When YO don't know what you don't know..

Unless there was a change while I was cut off from the outside world, Host Walt is the only Moderator on this forum.

But you could easily know. Look at the date prior to your post asking the question "is this settled?"

The date of the last post was March 7th. YOUR question, the next post was dated 3/14. So obviously nothing new had been added to the discussion.

Currently on this board old threads are being brought up over and over. Many of the information is no longer correct or relevant.

I think it would be more helpful if new threads were started once threads fall to the 4th or 5th page.

YES, yes, yes and yes...... EXACTLY right. :)

Nope. Still wrong. But that ship has sailed, so I don’t know why the odd fixation at repeating your opinion.

Yes, yes, yes and yes. EXACTLY right.

I don't care if one calls it a "partial charter" or a "large group", if I find out one is on my cruise I am MOVING to another sailing. Been there and done that!!! The cruise I was on "they" were called a "large group". They took over the lido pool on our only sea day! It was a beautiful day and around 11 am the staff started closing off the lido pool. I can tell you there were lots of complaints including me. Also took over different parts of the ship at different times. And the dining room for a full seating. Forget that! As far as I am concerned if I am paying for it I should be able to use it!

Exactly right!! We feel the same way. When cruislines do this they have sold you a bill of goods they have no intention of delivering. I think that's called fraud.

Here’s something:

When there is a charter, PARTIAL or otherwise, the people involved get exclusive use of the meeting rooms or theatre or Crow’s Nest or early seating in the MDR.

So, the bar has been met for the definition of CHARTER, even partially.

For cruises, PARTIAL charter imparts excellent information and is correct.

Exactly right!! We feel the same way. When cruislines do this they have sold you a bill of goods they have no intention of delivering. I think that's called fraud.

The problem with the "i'll move to another ship" IF a large groupas a plan to avoid the large group is that even if directly asked,we do not always get an accurate and dependa le answer to the inquiry IS

Edited by sail7seas

Sadly, the I'll move to another ship remedy is fine BUT even if directly asked, they do not always give a dependab le, absolutely accurate answer to the question... Is there a large group on specific sailing? They will not always give a complete, open and d pendable response for obvious reasons......... None of us want to have the unhappy bad luck to unknowingly land on a ship with a large group., It makes for a miserable cruise for those not a part of the group.... Been there and done that and hope it never happens to me again but it is hard to be absolutely sure when there is to be a large group on ac ruise one of us is thinking of booking..

This response is on-topic because I also found myself booked along with a similar gospel group....

Non-refundable means that you can't ask for your money back, but I was able to change our cruise date even though it was a nonrefundable situation (within 90 days of cruise). I preferred a normal neutral crowd and not having venues closed for private parties, so HAL allowed us change the sailing date for a reasonable fee.

igraf

...Not to hijack this thread, since there are already at least 3 about the nonrefundable fares, but this is another reason to avoid nonrefundable fares. A refundable fare keeps your options open.