how is to be coeliac on RC Oasis of the seas

Me and kids have coeliac disease. I heard that on royal carribien there is no lunch in main restaurant so there is no safe lunch for us because we are high sensitive to cross contaminaton.

Is it possible than to get GF lunch in the room?

Contact special_needs@rccl.com and notify them of your dietary restrictions. They will put you in touch with the proper people on the ship so arrangements can be made for your meals.

We were on Liberty a few weeks ago with two celieac children in our group.

Everyone on board was wonderful.

In the windjammer tell one of the staff you need to speak to a someone about gluten free.

They would send out one of the senior chefs and he would ask what the kids wanted. Then have it made and delivered to the table.

They even have pre packaged gluten free cookies available at many of the casual eating locations.

I have Celiac (and am vegetarian) and was just on a shorter Enchantment cruise, all port days so no lunch in the MDR. I was a little nervous, but they had a separate GF buffet section in WJ (in a separate area to prevent cross contamination), and the head chef (just ask for whoever the head chef is on day one, and get their name for future days) also either brought out or made fresh things for me from the back, including hashbrowns, salad, fruit, Indian food (main meals and breakfast), roasted potatoes, etc. I made sure to tip a little extra at the end. Also, Sorrento's does GF pizza (not cross contamination), and Cafe Promanade (or Lattatudes, depending on ship) should have pre-wrapped Udis GF cookies. Make sure to contact special needs as Bob said, so they know to have enough items on board, but I was full every meal, and I don't even eat meat or fish.

Have a great trip!

Can't answer for Oasis, but for Ovation, there was a separate area in Windjammers, with it's own Chef, who does all the cooking for it, so no cross-contamination.

As others have said - find a chef in Wind Jammers, ask them to walk you through (every day) what is or isn't Gluten Free in the general area to allow a greater selection, they will often go out the back and get it for you so again no risk of cross-contamination.

When you get on the ship, go to the main dining room and ask to see that night's menu, and choose then, what you want for dinner, there will be limited choice, as they don't have much time, but often it's just a case of leaving a sauce off or other simple change. After that, every night get the next day's menu and you will have the full choice of what is available (except things like bread covered food). They will then make the dinner in a separate part of the kitchen. It does mean you have to think a day in advance what you want for dinner, but at least you will have a big selection.

I have done a couple of Galley tours, and the special meals section generally has a red taped line around it and staff that aren't preparing special diets aren't allowed to cross it to stop cross contamination in the kitchen.

They care about special diets to the extent that they won't serve you items that should be Gluten Free because they don't know it's providence - eg. in Jamie's Italian, they wouldn't serve the Celiac in our family the Anti-pasta plank, because the salami's and other cured meats come from Italy and they don't know if the factory is true Gluten Free, even though most Salami is Gluten Free.

For Sorrento's, go to the front of the line, try and grab one of the servers attention and say you need a GF pizza, they will take your order, and then the order will be sent out the back - it comes to the oven wrapped in Al-Foil, cooked in the general oven and then cut separate to the other pizza's.

There are two places we have found where worrying about Gluten Free Food goes from a constant worry to a friendly reminder - on the ships we have been on - and Disney (World and Land).

For Room Service, tell them at the start you need GF, if the person on the phone makes a mistake, you will get a phone call back a few minutes later saying sorry but will change the order and suggest alternatives, so yes GF room service is possible, and you don't have to worry about the person taking the order, not knowing if something is or isn't GF.

After this - just to take stress out of your lives, for a holiday you will start to cruise more (or spend a lot of time at Disneyworld).

Happy to find this thread. We are sailing on Oasis the week of April 1st, first cruise ever, and our 13 yr old daughter has celiac. I plan on doing a full report on our gluten free experience after the cruise. Glad to hear so many have had good experiences!

• 3 weeks later...
Happy to find this thread. We are sailing on Oasis the week of April 1st, first cruise ever, and our 13 yr old daughter has celiac. I plan on doing a full report on our gluten free experience after the cruise. Glad to hear so many have had good experiences!

First Anthem -- I'll look for your review. We are sailing on the Harmony in June and my daughter in law has celiac. I'm happy to read that most people seem to have had a good experience on the ships. Have a great cruise!

Please do :) I have just been diagnosed with a wheat allergy and we set sail on oasis next year. Have fun:)

Me and kids have coeliac disease. I heard that on royal carribien there is no lunch in main restaurant so there is no safe lunch for us because we are high sensitive to cross contaminaton.

Is it possible than to get GF lunch in the room?

You can eat GF in most of the restaurants on the Oasis. In the MDR they will give you the menu for the next night, and you can get a GF meal made for you. For Breakfast and Lunch, we ate in the Solarium Bistro and we had very good food every meal.

They make terrific GF bread and buns in the ship, and they have an area on the ship for cooking all the GF meals. All of the Speciality restaurants will provide you with GF options.

You will be well taken care of on the Oasis.

I am hearing very conflicting thing about the gluten free bread. Some say they make it and may even have a variety. Others state it is just Udis (nothing to get excited about) and they may not even have enough on board to last the weak. Love a recent update on this from the allure. I was told by special needs department (remember I do not totally trust what they tell me. They said that unless it is sated on the menu no special diets can be honored in room service. They no have gluten free toast listed at breakfast. love to hear if anyone had any luck getting the royal hamburger from room service on a gluten free bun, or gluten free pancakes or waffles at breakfast from room service.

I am hearing very conflicting thing about the gluten free bread. Some say they make it and may even have a variety. Others state it is just Udis (nothing to get excited about) and they may not even have enough on board to last the weak. Love a recent update on this from the allure. I was told by special needs department (remember I do not totally trust what they tell me. They said that unless it is sated on the menu no special diets can be honored in room service. They no have gluten free toast listed at breakfast. love to hear if anyone had any luck getting the royal hamburger from room service on a gluten free bun, or gluten free pancakes or waffles at breakfast from room service.

I was on Brilliance (I know, I'm pitiful for only going on the "baby" ships, but it's the same company) for 12 nights in the Med a couple of summers ago. I don't know what kind of bread it was, but it was good (and did not appear to be Udi's - not that I have an issue with Udi's...though it may be their supplier in the Med has something different). We did run out of the usual bread the night before Venice and the substitute was gross. My server and head server (I had MTD but booked reservations for the same time each night so I could get the same table and team without being subjected to a "solo dump table" or being the weird solo at a group of couples) both apologized profusely and explained that the ship bases its orders on the number of special requests that come in plus a small percentage to try and account for people who assume and don't report, but that there was a much larger number of people eating gluten-free than had reported - so many more that they were running out of the primary bread. Fortunately Venice is an embarkation point for some RCCL ships so they have a distributor there and were able to get a fresh supply of the good bread. (I have a family member who works on another cruise line and she has verified that ordering for special foods such as gluten-free bread IS done as I was told - the amount of people who have reported plus a small percentage of that number. So reporting the need is vitally important so that they can have enough supplies on hand.)

As far as room service, I have no idea as I have always been under the impression that room service on any ship on any line will not guarantee gluten-free unless it is pre-packaged. (I've never really been into room service anyway, so that is probably a factor also.)

My wife and I will be on rhapsody and symphony this year and she was recently diagnosed with coeliac disease so this is great info. She also has other digestion issues which means some foods need to be cooked a certain way so this should be fun!

I will do a quick post describing our experience on each ship which will hopefully be of some help to others.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please do come back and report! We are taking our first family cruise the following month on Oasis with our daughter who is 5 with Celiac, so any tips you can share about the current options for GF kids would be tremendously appreciated! Have a fantastic trip!!!

Please do come back and report! We are taking our first family cruise the following month on Oasis with our daughter who is 5 with Celiac, so any tips you can share about the current options for GF kids would be tremendously appreciated! Have a fantastic trip!!!

I will absolutely come back and report. We are taking this cruise because friends of ours have a daughter with celiac as well, and we are both always looking for celiac friendly vacations! They had great success on Grandeur of the Seas, which inspired us to try a cruise. Disney World was getting much too expensive!! I’m excited to get onboard a week from today, and then come home and share everything we learned and experienced.

[qsuote=proggieus;55461521]We were on Liberty a few weeks ago with two celieac children in our group.

Everyone on board was wonderful.

In the windjammer tell one of the staff you need to speak to a someone about gluten free.

They would send out one of the senior chefs and he would ask what the kids wanted. Then have it made and delivered to the table.

They even have pre packaged gluten free cookies available at many of the casual eating locations.

My husband was diagnosed with celiac disease about 6 weeks before our 2016 TA on Jewel of the Seas (Rome to San Juan). The waiter and assistant waiter couldn't do enough for him. We also spoke to the chef and she said the gluten free bread is baked fresh everyday. He was also able to get some Udi's cookies. He was very careful in the WJ as the food was on the same section as the carvery item of the day. He would ask the chef if he wasn't sure of a particular food. Everyone was very helpful.

We are going on the Anthem in May and will see if they are as attentive to special diets as the Jewel was.

Have a great cruise!!!