Non-Refundable Deposit??

If you book a suite and then downgrade to a lower category on the same sailing you don't lose any money do you?

Shouldn't lose any deposit. You're not changing ship or sailing date. However, OBC from booking onboard may change.

If you book a suite and then downgrade to a lower category on the same sailing you don't lose any money do you?

Should not.

Only a change of ship or sailing date.

Think you were on the Liberty roll call for Feb 4. I booked a NR at Next Cruise desk - got $225 OBC with a $100 deposit CDN. If I cancel I lose the deposit and if I take the cruise(2019) it was cheaper by $400? Will have be a dummy booking to be sure of the amt. Thought it was worth the gamble. Booking after returning home I would have required much larger deposit and if cancelling would have lost the $100 and stuck with a voucher to use within the year.

Yup I was on there too and also booked a couple since have moved one (within 30 days) and have kept the other

Appreciate the CAD deposit instead of USD doing Next cruise and worst case book a cruise I dont take costs me 200 CAD or best case I get in and have a chance to look for a significant price drop while knowing either way I'm still cruising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only the $100 per person is forfeit, and remaining deposit will apply to your new booking.

And you can use the OBC for anything. Once it shows up in your Cruise Planner, you can use it to pay for anything booked through the Cruise Planner.

TA OBC does not show up until on board.

We had the $200 deduction and also received a Future Cruise Certificate in the mail worth a total of $300. And there are restrictions...cruise fare only...not used for deposit...must be used before sailing..use by certain date.

• 1 month later...
Can be applied to an existing booking.

Be careful everyone - I booked with a Non refundable and got screwed. I booked an overseas cruise and we ran into complications where we had to cancel the cruise. I had already put down 2K and having to pay the cancellation fee of 100 pp (4 in my family) i thought i was atleast going to be able to forward that money to another cruise. Well guess what, $400 for cancellation fee, $400 in vouchers, and $1200 that RCL kept for themselves. yep, i lost the remainder of the money. Customer Service was apologetic and kept on stating that the deposit was non-refundable. I even cancelled before their 90 day limit. Here is the kicker, those at Royal Customer service don't understand their own non refundable policy. I tried to book another date and was told no and that i could not apply it to any future cruise. So i am confused about why would they send me vouchers that i need to use in 1 year?? why bother? Is it to remind myself of the $1200 i could not get back or apply to a different cruise?!?!?

So i booked an 8 day on Carnival Vista in June and will take a loss of $1200 dollars. RCL is not about customer service its all about money. that's too bad....

Be-careful out there when booking with Royal Caribbean. It will take a few years to get over this and it is very doubtful i will ever cruise with this company again.

Edited by ArxidoMalakas

Welcome to CC.

You may have misunderstood - while you may not get a refund you should at a min get a $1600 future cruise certificate good for a year from the date you canceled. Call back.

Trust me, its not a misunderstanding on my part. I was told that i lost the money from several agents and that they were very sorry.

Be careful everyone - I booked with a Non refundable and got screwed. I booked an overseas cruise and we ran into complications where we had to cancel the cruise. I had already put down 2K and having to pay the cancellation fee of 100 pp (4 in my family) i thought i was atleast going to be able to forward that money to another cruise. Well guess what, $400 for cancellation fee, $400 in vouchers, and $1200 that RCL kept for themselves. yep, i lost the remainder of the money. Customer Service was apologetic and kept on stating that the deposit was non-refundable. I even cancelled before their 90 day limit. Here is the kicker, those at Royal Customer service don't understand their own non refundable policy. I tried to book another date and was told no and that i could not apply it to any future cruise. So i am confused about why would they send me vouchers that i need to use in 1 year?? why bother? Is it to remind myself of the $1200 i could not get back or apply to a different cruise?!?!?

So i booked an 8 day on Carnival Vista in June and will take a loss of $1200 dollars. RCL is not about customer service its all about money. that's too bad....

Be-careful out there when booking with Royal Caribbean. It will take a few years to get over this and it is very doubtful i will ever cruise with this company again.

I feel like I'm missing something here. If you cancelled outside of 90 days, how did they even "keep" your money? Shouldn't they just have the deposit? Did you actually pay down the entire balance outside of 90 days?

I had put down $2000 down for this cruise and had a balance of $2500 which we were going to pay the at the 30 day mark. Things got complicated and we couldn't go to Europe.

This is their new Non Refundable Policy as it was explained to me by Customer Service.

I appreciate all of the comments. :)

I had put down $2000 down for this cruise and had a balance of $2500 which we were going to pay the at the 30 day mark. Things got complicated and we couldn't go to Europe.

This is their new Non Refundable Policy as it was explained to me by Customer Service.

You are in the US or Canada, right? If so, this isn't really up for debate. Their own legal page says you should an FCC good for a year for the deposit minus $400 if you cancel outside of 90 days. Just call them out on it.

18. Nonrefundable Deposit Program

A booking made under the non-refundable deposit cruise fare rate (an "NRD Booking") requires the payment of a non-refundable deposit at the time of booking. The deposit is not refundable at any time after it has been paid. Payment of the full non-refundable deposit and the full name for each guest is required at the time of booking. Deposits made toward Guarantees and Grand Suites and higher categories are non-refundable and subject to NRD Booking terms.

If a guest cancels an NRD Booking prior to the final payment due date, the cancellation terms of the cruise ticket contract apply, and Royal Caribbean International will issue a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit paid minus a $100 USD per person service fee to the guest named on the cancelled NRD Booking (the "FCC"). The FCC is applicable only towards the purchase of a Royal Caribbean International cruise and expires 12-months after the issue date (the "Expiration Date"). Any amount remaining after the Expiration Date will be void and forfeited. The FCC is non-transferable, non-refundable, and not redeemable for any other form of compensation, credit, or cash. For NRD Bookings that require a deposit of $100 USD or less, no FCC or any other compensation or credit of any kind will be issued.

Each time the guest changes the ship or sail date of an NRD Booking prior to the final payment due date, payments made towards the NRD Booking will be applied to the balance of the modified booking and a $100 USD per person service fee will be charged to the modified booking.

This offer is available exclusively to residents of United States and Canada. Prices are subject to availability, subject to change without notice; capacity controlled, and may be withdrawn at any time. The Company reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions and to change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice.

Source: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/resources/digital-terms-of-use-and-end-user-license-agreement

Trust me, its not a misunderstanding on my part. I was told that i lost the money from several agents and that they were very sorry.

I don't remember anyone ever reporting anything like that. It's certainly not the policy on NRD.

Can you dispute the charge with your credit card company?

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Forums mobile app

Welcome to CC.

You may have misunderstood - while you may not get a refund you should at a min get a $1600 future cruise certificate good for a year from the date you canceled. Call back.

shouldn't you get the amount paid over and above the deposit amount returned to your credit card if before final payment?

Bill

This is confusing? If this is a North American booking wouldn't your cruise be canceled after you didn't pay at the 90 day mark?

Seems like we are missing some key details here.

Was there a sale where they allowed people to pay at the 30 day mark?

Bill

This is confusing? If this is a North American booking wouldn't your cruise be canceled after you didn't pay at the 90 day mark?

Seems like we are missing some key details here.

Was there a sale where they allowed people to pay at the 30 day mark?

Bill

Hi Bill, i dont mean to confuse you. it was an assumption that i could pay off the balance of my cruise 30 days before sailing. this is not to say that RCL allows this. i cancelled my cruise in March for a July 16th sailing.

Thanks!

shouldn't you get the amount paid over and above the deposit amount returned to your credit card if before final payment?

Bill

True, but the deposit for 4 people may have been close to the $2K the poster mentioned.

Hi Bill, i dont mean to confuse you. it was an assumption that i could pay off the balance of my cruise 30 days before sailing. this is not to say that RCL allows this. i cancelled my cruise in March for a July 16th sailing.

Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification.

True, but the deposit for 4 people may have been close to the $2K the poster mentioned.

Yes , I didn't think about that.:)

Bill

This is copied from my latest invoice:

"Prior to Final Payment Due Date No Charge (except for Non-Refundable Deposit amounts)"

March is clearly prior to final payment date for a July cruise, which would be in mid April.