Entertainment Reports

takemewithyou

Thank you for posting.i know others on the JR now. They are not posting. One couple has over 20 cruises so I am sure they have thoughts. I know they were on for 2 legs but thought longer.

There was a reasonably active roll call for the World Cruise with a few regular posters, but they don’t seem to post much to the main board. It would be useful to have their input too. They’ll have to deal with it until June! Lol

Phil

Max is doing a gig in Massachusetts in the next week or so. He also has a few cruise line options but as far as I know, nothing definite as yet. He has lots of friends in Vegas so hopefully he will have options there as well.

As for whose "not so bright idea" the entertainment change was ....well, we were on Quest last summer when the Miami bean counter was doing an assessment and he worked for a very senior RCCI guy.

There was a reasonably active roll call for the World Cruise with a few regular posters, but they don’t seem to post much to the main board. It would be useful to have their input too. They’ll have to deal with it until June! Lol

Phil

I am surprise that she almost never posts to main board. of late no social media pictures. the other is around 40 and rarely does shows. But she has been in the bars. All she told me was that after dinner one night no cashier. thought the slots etc took change not tokens.

Max is doing a gig in Massachusetts in the next week or so. He also has a few cruise line options but as far as I know, nothing definite as yet. He has lots of friends in Vegas so hopefully he will have options there as well.

Funny, Ed from Boston worked a gig for a TV show. Now on NCL. he just enjoyed his family and friends. Max always had a Boston gig if he wanted it. I agree about Vegas. Not seen him in over a year.

As for whose "not so bright idea" the entertainment change was ....well, we were on Quest last summer when the Miami bean counter was doing an assessment and he worked for a very senior RCCI guy.

Thanks for the further report Steve and thoughts. Azamara seem to have some serious rethinking to do. I hope guests are feeding it back.

Do we know whose bright idea the change in entertainment was?

Phil

I don’t know whose idea it was to make the change, but I can tell you Signe Bjorndal was Onboard our Quest cruise for the launch of the entertainment. She was in the showroom and I talked to her and to Philip every night after the performances. She was very enthusiastic, even when the audience wasn’t. I gave her my opinion each night. She was there having working meetings with all the entertainers and with the future cruise managers.

TakeMeWithYou, since you were on the Quest in February, I'd like to know how things were with White Night? I'll be leaving on the Quest transatlantic cruise next Saturday. Boy am I going to miss Max! Did the music start late on your cruise?

Ann, thank you for your reports. I'm glad you're having such a good time even if the entertainment is not up to par.

Garry

Hi Garry,

My memory is not so great, but luckily I saved the daily programs! There was always music upstairs in the LR, starting around 6 pm.....usually the trio. Then, the music in Spirits was at 7:30 pm and again at 9 pm....either piano or guitar. As mentioned the piano player was playing background music and not interacting with people as Max did. The pianist and guitarist were part of the trio.

For White Night, we were able to have it on deck (good weather!) We had Earnest, new ACD and Russ, the Sparkling trio and I think, the orchestra. Dancing began around 8:15pm. There were a lot of people up dancing and the actors from the short plays (from Miami) were up dancing with all the guests. DJ Leo took over at 9:30 pm.on deck.

Currently on Journey, I agree with most of UKTogs comments with respect to the entertainment so far. Trifecta were very good technically and look forward to their next show which hopefully will be more mainstream. As always, music like food is very subjective, I found the Opera singers too heavy for a first show, I prefer lighter more popular operetta, whereas I know of others who liked their performance.

We didn’t go to White Nights as we were late back from our private tour, but I did attend the Jazz session in the Cabaret Lounge for a short while, there was something lacking in the sound, clearly was not as good as it used to be when it was the seven piece orchestra.

Ellbon, to me Spirits is ruined by the ghastly electronic gaming tables. The seating hasn’t changed, apart from the loss of a settee which has now been replaced by a screened off table, variously manned by either the IT man, or Cruise Refer and Receive promotion.

Apart from these gripes the rest of the ship and crew are simply outstanding as usual

I agree. We had a rained off White Nights so ad hoc arrangements were made and I applaud the staff for all they did to put on entertainment. Riviera Sounds did a great session but Steve is right the orchestra struggled with the jazz set particularly the trumpet.

Robin I think the number of cruises is not entirely relevant and failing to convert the newbies should probably be a bigger concern from Azamara but with well over 20 cruises ourselves we fall into the group for whom the change isn’t working. I don’t see the other high number cruisers at the shows other than Eric, Steven or Alicia’s but that may be because they’ve already decided classical music or opera is not their taste.

Eric and Heike are being very professional listening to comments and encouraging further feedback on the usual surveys etc.

Tonight we have Trifecta back, it looks like a more mainstream programme we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. We had a rained off White Nights so ad hoc arrangements were made and I applaud the staff for all they did to put on entertainment. Riviera Sounds did a great session but Steve is right the orchestra struggled with the jazz set particularly the trumpet.

Robin I think the number of cruises is not entirely relevant and failing to convert the newbies should probably be a bigger concern from Azamara but with well over 20 cruises ourselves we fall into the group for whom the change isn’t working. I don’t see the other high number cruisers at the shows other than Eric, Steven or Alicia’s but that may be because they’ve already decided classical music or opera is not their taste.

Eric and Heike are being very professional listening to comments and encouraging further feedback on the usual surveys etc.

Tonight we have Trifecta back, it looks like a more mainstream programme we will see.

Ann

First off I do not know who Alicia is on this cruiseline. I know Steven was from the cast. I am glad Heike and Eric are listening. Welcome back from holiday to this

There is a part of what you wrote I have mix feelings about. The cruise line like most need new people. But if guests like us pan the entertainment on here or to someone looking for a new line they are not going to buy the cruise. you have over 20 cruises, Jeanette has over 20 and I have over 40. many have from 50 to 90. If they lose us and we say why to a friend that friend going to tell 10 friends. so there goes the newbies.

I happen to like opera vs just classical music. But i walked out on the JR of an opera show with just 2 singers. I was so bored. A real opera is one thing but this was boring. now you are saying you did not enjoy several shows .people are leaving. I go on ship to see a fun show .i go to a major hall to hear opera. They stopped .the only repeat shows i do anymore was Gavin Brader and Bruce Parker. the others i am over with them.

We had to adjust to the moving of the piano, goodbye to the harp, the first trio. Now the ruin Spirits in music and desks. Plus the change in shows. Wondering how much more we can take.

I know another woman her her Mother or both parents are on. she seems happy with her cosmos. But I need more than that.

Also Lee is not posting pictures from the WC group. He was but not now. He is still there to June?

Robin. If you read my previous posts I too was welcoming some of the changes. We just do not like change which results in a poorer quality guest experience which several evenings have and whether we have one cruise or 101 cruises feedback matters - actually the guests you mention onboard have no more cruises than we have so they and the 600+ others have a valid view whenever they post.

Yes change but we needs post show venue without disco music but with some form of entertainment. Every other cruise line manages it so it’s not too much to expect of Azamara

Alicia has been on Azamara since before Christmas and will deputise for Eric when he is on leave. She has a very good voice.

I’ve not made the connection between the quality of drinks and the entertainment the two are quite disconnected for me.

Lee is still onboard and is posting his photos still. As regards photos of the guests on that cruise he has to respect new data protection rules. I suspect some of the earlier ones might have been marginal given Facebook issues

Ann

I waited up,to see if you posted again. Most nights I switch from Spirits to the Living Room. Some just one or the other.

Yes, I ready all your posts, even in threads we do not agree I value your judgement. You have been on several cruises I have not been and some the same. I value the judgement. As it is always fair.

Months ago I was happy thinking they were updating the shows or replacing tired old one person entertainment in the show room.

When in Nov I finally learned about some of the changes in Spirits I hated it.

I have read both Quest and JR guests comments. Does not make me happy. I hated the old TV,s Spirits and will hate the new Spirits more.

I finally heard from the cruiser.. she is waiting on judgement for now. Plus a little more. She has not walked out nor said she wanted too. I might have left.

Lee has not posted in a few days but tours he is involved with. But I have seen pictures from a nightclub inNam and Heike pictures of the sweets and Hot Cross buns makes me want to eat now.

This cruise must be very hard on them with all the comments.

The drink comment had to do with even if no one was in the room but the bartender was a person I liked talking to and I knew thst person. Made a Cosmo the way I like it I be sitting there. I know Jason on ship and he makes my drink with very little cranberry..onky a few know that.

I have tried two other brands this winter. One I took due to ports. The other been on my short list for years. At night after dinner there are three bars with live music nightly. Also before dinner. So you have places to go. To talk or dance.

Like other cruisers I think it is nice to have two or three favorite lines.

There is a part of what you wrote I have mix feelings about. The cruise line like most need new people. But if guests like us pan the entertainment on here or to someone looking for a new line they are not going to buy the cruise. you have over 20 cruises, Jeanette has over 20 and I have over 40. many have from 50 to 90. If they lose us and we say why to a friend that friend going to tell 10 friends. so there goes the newbies.

In terms of evaluation of the entertainment (either here or via the cruise ship) I don't think it really matters how many cruises you've done on Azamara. All opinions have equal validity. You could say that those who have seen the old style shows many times are well positioned to give a critique of the new stuff. Equally you could say that their opinions are somewhat tainted by "the way it used to be" and it's good to get the views of a new pair of eyes and ears. It would be good to hear what some of the frequent cruisers think, but the analysis needs more than them and not weighted toward them. Well, that's my feeling.

Phil

In terms of evaluation of the entertainment (either here or via the cruise ship) I don't think it really matters how many cruises you've done on Azamara. All opinions have equal validity. You could say that those who have seen the old style shows many times are well positioned to give a critique of the new stuff. Equally you could say that their opinions are somewhat tainted by "the way it used to be" and it's good to get the views of a new pair of eyes and ears. It would be good to hear what some of the frequent cruisers think, but the analysis needs more than them and not weighted toward them. Well, that's my feeling.

Phil

Very good point Phil, it can be a bit like summer was always hot & sunny when you were a child. We all tend to remember the good entertainment and forget some of the lesser offerings we have endured over the years. Newer passengers can also have a valid opinion making comparisons with other cruise lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very good point Phil, it can be a bit like summer was always hot & sunny when you were a child. We all tend to remember the good entertainment and forget some of the lesser offerings we have endured over the years. Newer passengers can also have a valid opinion making comparisons with other cruise lines.

Both you and Phil make good points. Although, like others, we regret the removal of the harpists, in our experience only one, Mary, made a personal connection with her audience. On one cruise, the harpist spent an inordinate amount time tuning her instrument rather than playing.

Both you and Phil make good points. Although, like others, we regret the removal of the harpists, in our experience only one, Mary, made a personal connection with her audience. On one cruise, the harpist spent an inordinate amount time tuning her instrument rather than playing.

I still hear from Mary on social medial, due to timing I onky saw three if the four women.

Never said the new guests did nit have a right to opinion but we have seen the same old shows many times. But I never got tired I’d Ed or Max . So if we are missing them then many others are too.

Elbon, how big were the ships of the other two brands you tried?

Regent holds I think about 700 people. One bar was a total waste as they only had music there pre dinner. Another had pre dinner or post show at2245 for 45 minutes.

Cystral has c,over to 1000 guests, several public rooms besides bars with music, so it is a largers ship. Lots to do during the day,

Trifecta show tonight even more bizarre including a Japanese piece that was just weird. Audience was almost non existent at the second show. I don’t know who at 54 below brief them but their music choice would have been appropriate for an audience that is highly knowledgeable about classical music and has gone to a classical concert but that’s not a cruise ship audience.

The trio leave the ship on Tuesday- it now reads this 54 below is just a hiring agency brand for the guest entertainment brought onboard. I can’t wait to see what appears under that heading next week.

"I happen to like opera vs just classical music. But i walked out on the JR of an opera show with just 2 singers. I was so bored. A real opera is one thing but this was boring. now you are saying you did not enjoy several shows .people are leaving. I go on ship to see a fun show .i go to a major hall to hear opera. They stopped .the only repeat shows i do anymore was Gavin Brader and Bruce Parker. the others i am over with them. "

See, that's my biggest concern with the Magic City Opera / Opera on the High Seas production on the Journey. You can't do opera justice with a quartet of four resident singers, much less two. And if they have no cruise ship experience and no guest entertainer- type cabaret (which most opera singers *won't*), you're just asking for your contract to not be renewed with Azamara.

I'm not sure who the opera singers are, but entertaining a ship audience versus a New York classical audience should have been addressed in the training period. If they don't know how to do that, and it wasn't addressed, Magic City should have hired singers who naturally CAN.

The more I hear about it, the more I dread my upcoming cruise on Journey. I'd better book a lot of excursions and go to bed early, I guess.

Trifecta show tonight even more bizarre including a Japanese piece that was just weird. Audience was almost non existent at the second show. I don’t know who at 54 below brief them but their music choice would have been appropriate for an audience that is highly knowledgeable about classical music and has gone to a classical concert but that’s not a cruise ship audience.

The trio leave the ship on Tuesday- it now reads this 54 below is just a hiring agency brand for the guest entertainment brought onboard. I can’t wait to see what appears under that heading next week.

Happy Easter Ann to you and your DH.

That Trifecta show sounds bizarre. Let's hope the new act coming on board soon is more to your taste

I appreciate the attempt by Azamara to refresh the onboard entertainment provided, but I'm a little perplexed by 54Below's approach. It feels like they are throwing everything at the wall and seeing what will stick.

The Quest's 54 Below acts on our recent cruise were more 'mainstream' and mostly enjoyable - were they any different to acts on any other cruise line? No, not really.

The Shorts on Ships selection however was a radical departure but, I fear, not a good one. It must be tough for performers on board having to endure what I suspect will be a tough crowd giving honest feedback. I can't imagine how depressing it must be for a performer to see a half empty theatre and then have some of the remaining guests walk out.

The Shorts on Ships selection however was a radical departure but, I fear, not a good one. It must be tough for performers on board having to endure what I suspect will be a tough crowd giving honest feedback. I can't imagine how depressing it must be for a performer to see a half empty theatre and then have some of the remaining guests walk out.

Frustrating for the performers, maybe. Major oversight by the independent contractors providing the productions. I fear Magic City Opera is going to be more of the same.

You have to know how to cater to a ship audience. These new shows aren't, it seems.

Have Charles and you stayed thru all the shows? Or do you leave when you had enough?

I would never last,honestly I doubt if I go in even late. Still willing to try the plays that have been in Quest. As I eat late I would onky get part of a show.

I still wish more people posted their thoughts who are on the ship.

We are polite Brits....we stay.

There were only about 30-40 at the second show. Most hedging their bets sitting in the higher level near the door. There were about 10 guests sitting in the lower level where we were. We found the emptiness uncomfortable and even though we were not enjoying- particularly one piece which reminded us of the sounds of our sons early years viola practicing- but honestly felt to leave would be unfair on the musicians. They were talented but playing the wrong stuff.

They seem to have been given a brief to challenge our senses and do unusual things whereas we wanted to be entertained. There’s a huge difference between challenge and entertain. Maybe one piece at the edge of our comfort zone but not 45 minutes.

To those dreading an upcoming cruise don’t they’ve got to make changes so it will get better.

Edited by uktog

It might be a polite thing. If I even think I might not like the show I am in the back of theatre. If I have come in late I am in the back.

Each persons comfort zone is so different. Like food it is huge.

I hope by the time I walk the gangway it is better. Seems it can not get worse.

My question is where were the 600 guests during the show. At dinner? Coffee area? Drinking somewhere!

Looks like I will stick to my eight or 830 dinner time and just go dancing

It was the late show Spirits as is custom had no entertainment during showtime so my guess - drinking on their balconies (lots are doing that) or in bed watching movies. Mosaic was empty as well

It was the late show Spirits as is custom had no entertainment during showtime so my guess - drinking on their balconies (lots are doing that) or in bed watching movies. Mosaic was empty as well

Hoo boy, sounds like fun. Just canceled 6 future cruises on Azamara and substituted 4 on Robin's back up line. Not just because of entertainment but because of the overall downgrade of the product over the past three or four years as prices have increased. Azamara offers some interesting itineraries and great officers and crew so we still sail on them but more selectively.