Entertainment Reports

takemewithyou

Can just see Andre Previous’ face as Eric was saying that line. Priceless.

Phil, he came from.......... Morecambe. Just lived in Harpenden. [emoji28]

Corinne, you know I nearly changed that after I wrote it and thought"nah, I’ll leave it. Nobody will notice" lol. There used to be a full clip of that sketch with Andrew Preview on YouTube, but I think it’s been taken down.

Sorry, I’ve taken the thread off track and will now shut up.

Phil

Ya got it!:D

Phil

Couldn't find a cheek-slap emoticon though.

For our US readers - this refers to a famous Morecambe and Wise sketch where Eric Morecambe (an accomplished pianist and very funny man) was a concert pianist playing Grieg's piano concerto with Andre Previn conducting.

I did find a clip so others here know what the heck we are talking about. Andre Previn was such a good sport and boy could be play!

Phil

Note: it doesn’t seem to be available in the UK, but should play if you are in the US. If you are in the UK you’ll need to use a VPN Proxy Server like the TunnelBear app and it should work.

I did find a clip so others here know what the heck we are talking about. Andre Previn was such a good sport and boy could be play!

Phil

Note: it doesn’t seem to be available in the UK, but should play if you are in the US. If you are in the UK you’ll need to use a VPN Proxy Server like the TunnelBear app and it should work.

Worked well here Phil [emoji23]

Just enjoyed it with my morning coffee [emoji23]

Shall giggle all the way to work,

Thank you [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hysterical. Thanks for the link. Some British humor is a bit more subtle than ours (U.S.) and I love it, but really have to listen. A British comedian on Journey had about half the audience rolling, but we Americans left shaking our heads. Ah, well. Fair's fair and I'm sure the reverse happens. Now, I'm hoping Phil will practice, practice, practice and get a 6 month contract.

Melissa

Phil

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks for the link Phil . . . it sure works "down under" . . . I haven't seen Morecambe & Wise for years!

Hoping at least some of the "glitches" on board will be sorted before 7 June!

Phil

Thank you, Phil, as Baynanno1 notes, it works downunder. What a treat to watch.

And thanks to everyone for posting info and updates on the entertainment. Hoping they have improved things by our B-2-B on Quest in July. If not, Phil playing Chopsticks may be the nightly feature :eek:

Sure enough, I can’t see it in the U.K. but could almost quote it word for word. Makes me smile just thinking about it.

And yes, the UK and US senses of humour certainly differ. I’ve really noticed it on the bigger ships when they’ve had comedians on. [emoji3]. Good that we’re not all the same in this world. [emoji3]

Corinne

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nothing new to report. The entertainment for the last few nights has been typical guest entertainers. Last night was a magician with a flair for comedy and he was good.

I have seen no mention of any operatic performances nor a second night of Shorts at Sea but will report if those do happen. Otherwise there is no need to keep saying the entertainment is what I am used to.

Service on the ship is still good but I have observed that the MDR is rather consistently slower than past experiences and the waiters are making more mistakes than normal. On most nights at least one order is either completely wrong or switched between diners. Nothing major, just a little slip in overall quality. Elsewhere on the ship, things are as normal - darn near perfect.

I wonder if there are some new crew members working in Discoveries who are not yet up to speed!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am thinking the same thing. With the purchase of the new ship current staff may be transferring and additional staff will need to be trained.

I agree. I didn't mean to imply that service was universally slow. I do think a few key people have been deployed to pursuit as I know there is some staff on board during dry-dock to serve workers.

My wife pointed out to me that we have a large group and are at a table for 8 so that might be part of it. But it does seem to take longer than usual just to get water and have our order taken.

Azamara is our line of choice but the difference between it and Celebrity is getting narrower and could easily reach the point where it is not worth the difference to us. I'll pay more as long as I see the value, but it's getting harder to justify. If they can hold the current status we are OK, it's that just there isn't much more room for changes we don't care for.

The key point is "changes we don't care for". Each person has to decide what they like and don't like. What is a deal killer for one person isn't even noticed by someone else. I am just happy that we have options.

I agree. I didn't mean to imply that service was universally slow. I do think a few key people have been deployed to pursuit as I know there is some staff on board during dry-dock to serve workers.

My wife pointed out to me that we have a large group and are at a table for 8 so that might be part of it. But it does seem to take longer than usual just to get water and have our order taken.

Didn't mean at all to imply that you didn't experience slower service than usual. It's the generalization based on one person's experience or opinion that too frequently happens here.

Of course, some staff have moved or will move to other ships with the coming of Pursuit. But right now, with Philip, Tomasz, Adel, Daniel, Nikolay, and Harry on-board, the restaurant team is in quite good hands.

Yes, tables for eight can result in slower service. Takes longer to take eight orders than two, and the servers have to wait until the slowest plate of the eight is prepared and ready before serving the table. Once almost had to walk away from a table for ten at breakfast on an Alaska cruise as it took so long we were going to be late for an excursion.

An update from Journey - some good news (and some disappointing news).

The good news. Eric’s show last night brought a real buzz back to the entertainment and it was great to see the Cabaret lounge “alive”.

Tonight Kym Purling played under the 54 below brand - yes some of the performers that have pleased Azamara audiences before seem to be coming back with 54 below.

And finally Miss Leering Come and Play with me boys has had her screen switched off!

The disappointments were firstly there were no changes to the Opera meets Broadway show, identical to last week still not doing mainstream stuff and most content still not in English. Maybe they can’t adapt to take on feedback? Anyway the audience response was very muted. I would call the response polite token applause whereas Eric and Kym had standing ovations. Still an opportunity missed big time. They have to change, it’s just not going to stand three shows a cruise of this sort of material.

Spirits remains a soulless Marie Celeste disaster- it needs a permanent cabaret bar style entertainer.

Love the fact Kim still being used. He is one of three guest entertainers Incan see more than once. Has his show been updated at all?

As far as Opera goes I would not go two cruises in a row to anything.months later maybe.

Love the fact Kim still being used. He is one of three guest entertainers Incan see more than once. Has his show been updated at all?

As far as Opera goes I would not go two cruises in a row to anything.months later maybe.

No it’s the same show but a breath of fresh air from where we have been.

We went to the opera as we had heard feedback was being acted on and our hope was it was more “instant” reaction than now appears to be the case. We had also hoped that an opera group with their own accompanist might have a wider range of shows than same thing every cruise. Land based ones do!

From what I'm hearing through the grapevine from friends who've seen the opera shows, the Magic City Opera hired four young opera singers who had never sung cruise ships before and who didn't have guest entertainer-type solo shows that could cross over into more cruiser-friendly repertoire. A good cabaret (not 4-person versions of operas and art song recitals) from each of them would have rounded out the entertainment as such that I wouldn't have minded a recycling of the big shows.

If they'd been smart enough, they'd have hired opera singers who did have cabarets and who can switch between opera and musical theatre, much like the fly-on opera singers in the quasi-classical production shows on Princess.

There are plenty of crossover classical singers the producers could've chosen. But they didn't. And here we are.

Not sure if the fault resides with Magic City Opera or the singers they hired, but I'm dreading my upcoming cruise on Journey with each bad or report I hear about the shows.

They need to fix this fast. I hope the honchos are taking notes.

They need to bring back Bruce Parker too. This is the kind of energy required in the line up and if they can get him for White Night.......

Thanks for the continuing updates Ann.

Phil

They need to bring back Bruce Parker too. This is the kind of energy required in the line up and if they can get him for White Night.......

Phil

I would so agree with bringing back Bruce Parker, especially for White Night performances. He is fantastic. However he does need to do some new songs too. I do love his energetic show but I have seen it so many times now. Bruce Parker with different songs would be just wonderful! 😄

What is still really concerning me about the new entertainment is Spirits Bar being like the Marie Celeste at night. It clearly is suited to be a piano bar with a piano player who can also sing and has the chat. We know Max and Ed sadly won't be back but there are many talented cruise ship pianists out there and Azamara need to employ them.

Thanks for the continuing updates Ann. Hope you are enjoying other aspects of the cruise.

I would so agree with bringing back Bruce Parker, especially for White Night performances. He is fantastic. However he does need to do some new songs too. I do love his energetic show but I have seen it so many times now. Bruce Parker with different songs would be just wonderful! 😄

What is still really concerning me about the new entertainment is Spirits Bar being like the Marie Celeste at night. It clearly is suited to be a piano bar with a piano player who can also sing and has the chat. We know Max and Ed sadly won't be back but there are many talented cruise ship pianists out there and Azamara need to employ them.

Thanks for the continuing updates Ann. Hope you are enjoying other aspects of the cruise.

I think everyone agrees on two things bring back Bruce and try to get him new songs. I love is set but even Motion and R&B needs updates. I last saw him in the med so thinking of 16,

As far as Spirits goes let us pray Heike can do something,I even wrote my feelings. I can try almost anything but this opera.i am looking forward to the short plays because I;will just laugh,

Phil

Love Bruce's charisma and extraordinary energy. It would be great if he came back BUT as others have commented he needs a new show too

Kym Purling, with great bass and drums from on board musicians, put on a great set in 54 tonight. Riviera Trio in Living Room knocking it out of the park as I type this. There's life on ship tonight!

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Forums mobile app

sounds better than last cruise. it seems to be the Opera group that is the downer.