Father in law may not be able to go

Hello,

My father in law ended up in the hospital this week due to toxic elevated liver and kidney enzymes (myopathy) and he was always falling, now he knows why....he will get better only he needs to "learn to walk"...he remains in the hospital until his enzymes get more to a normal level, he would of died from renal failure if he didn't make it to the hospital this monday...anyways, he needs to go to rehab but he doesn't want to stay there so my question is, should he not be able to go as we paid for the cruise for his birthday, are we able to change the names on the stateroom and give it to my sister and brother in law? Does anybody know what the fees are also to switch the names on the stateroom and would it be allowed just two weeks before the cruise?

Call and talk to Royal, but I think you can change names in a cabin up to 3 days before a sail. But a least 1 name from the original booking has to remain on the reservation . If not, that would be considered canceling the reservation. Hope your FIL has a quick recovery and can join you next year! Happy Sailing!!!!

The problem is that my father in law is a widow and he is the only person going. I wonder what happens then....now I noticed 3/4 persons now are free on the cruise, so if we kept his name on it and added my sister and brother in law we just pay the additional taxes/fees for the second person that will be in the cabin. I am glad to hear we can change the names 3 days before the cruise because its all going to depend on whether he can stand and walk.

Hello,

My father in law ended up in the hospital this week due to toxic elevated liver and kidney enzymes (myopathy) and he was always falling, now he knows why....he will get better only he needs to "learn to walk"...he remains in the hospital until his enzymes get more to a normal level, he would of died from renal failure if he didn't make it to the hospital this monday...anyways, he needs to go to rehab but he doesn't want to stay there so my question is, should he not be able to go as we paid for the cruise for his birthday, are we able to change the names on the stateroom and give it to my sister and brother in law? Does anybody know what the fees are also to switch the names on the stateroom and would it be allowed just two weeks before the cruise?

Did you purchase travel insurance?

Would you believe this is the first time we didn't!! He purchases medical insurance yearly for international travel so medical issues he remains to have coverage.

I am going to wait before I call the cruise line at least see how he is in a couple more weeks, I am sure they allow me to add additional people to the room just will have to pay the extra cost.

Would you believe this is the first time we didn't!! He purchases medical insurance yearly for international travel so medical issues he remains to have coverage.

I am going to wait before I call the cruise line at least see how he is in a couple more weeks, I am sure they allow me to add additional people to the room just will have to pay the extra cost.

Is rare but if the area his cabins lifeboat is full you won't be able to add anyone to the cabin. This more likely to happen closer you are to sailing. Like said rare but Royal ships sail at average 104% capacity so can happen. Also know you can change passengers up until 3 days before sailing as long one of the original passengers is same. But adding 3rd or 4th that wasn't originally priced not sure if whole cabin would be repriced at current prices. Maybe someone else can answer that...

what is his stateroom capacity? If only two, obviously you cannot keep FIL and add two additional passengers to the cabin. If only two, is there somebody who might like to go solo? Or somebody who might room/ assist FIL if he goes whilenon the mend?

If the cabin is rated for three, call and ask the price for two more guests. There may or may not be capacity on the ship for more guests (for example, families traveling for spring break have filled berths). Or the cost might be too high. If price is right, don’t wait too long to decide; ship might fill to the point no more souls can be added to that cabin.

What ship and sail date?

Only two we have cabins 10132 and 10134

I meant if his name has to remain on the reservation, then my sister and brother in law come then at the pier he be a no show so there wouldn't be "3" people technically in that cabin.

Ship is Oasis on April 14th there are also junior suites available 14 to be exactly guess I can always upgrade the room and pay the extra cost if it would be a problem of having two people in the stateroom.

I meant if his name has to remain on the reservation, then my sister and brother in law come then at the pier he be a no show so there wouldn't be "3" people technically in that cabin.

Ship is Oasis on April 14th there are also junior suites available 14 to be exactly guess I can always upgrade the room and pay the extra cost if it would be a problem of having two people in the stateroom.

You need to get on the phone and ask.

Call and talk to Royal, but I think you can change names in a cabin up to 3 days before a sail. But a least 1 name from the original booking has to remain on the reservation . If not, that would be considered canceling the reservation. Hope your FIL has a quick recovery and can join you next year! Happy Sailing!!!!

It is 24 hrs and has been for a very long time

Huh? They are not going to let three people be booked into a cabin for two even if one turns out to be a no-show. You might be able to add a second person to his cabin now if capacity allows but there isn't any way to do a last minute substitution for the primary person at the pier. 10132 and 10134 both show as two passenger rooms.

I can't hep but feel that the ideal that you have in your head is not going to be the reality when the time comes that you choose to book.

Just because there will only be 2 people in the room upon boarding does NOT mean they will let you book 2 more people now. You MIGHT be able to book one person in that room now. But they can't add a 3rd for a room that only sleeps 2. Even if one isn't going. Since you NEED to have all names on prior to 3 days before sail you can't just show up with an extra person the day of in place of passenger #1.

I would not wait. I would call now, as in hours ago. Get the pricing and options available and make the call now. Before you are one of the families unable to add more people due to life boat capacity. I've read it here enough to know it can and will happen again. Don't let it be your family.

I assume you have a typo and mean April 15 departure.

Since his cabin holds two people, you cannot add two more people to the booking. The system will only allow two, and explaining that FIL won’t really come will make it matters worse (he is not allowed to transfer the booking to two other people, so you cannot allow it to looking that way). So, to add two peopl means changing categories of one of your cabins; guess you could ask the price...might be substantially more.

Since the cruise is in mid April, I believe he will be in the 50% penalty phase for a several more days. Perhaps see how his medical condition goes for a few more days. Then discuss it with him. If he really does not feel he will be willing and able to travel, you could cancel and get 50% refund plus taxes/port. Or you could try to add a travel companion/ caregiver to his cabin if that would make him more likely to travel. Or you could try to add one person to his booking, and that person would sail solo.

Yes April 15 departure....That is another idea we have is to ask my brother in law to go on the cruise with his dad and help and at the same time my BIL will have a cruise too.

We were lucky today to talk him into doing the rehab and he finally agreed so this is a huge plus, a better chance he be able to go now. If dad still doesn't want to go we will make him go and he just sit in his room and at times we get him out and take a walk, he should be walking in five weeks since he will do rehab...either he sits at home and watches the tv there or he be on the ship sit and watch tv there and he has a nice balcony to look out and sit out on, I think being on the ship is better than being at home, so things are looking more optimistic.

I appreciate all the help you all have given, things are looking better that he go. :ship:

I am glad you are feeling better about the situation.

Another option you might want to consider, given that you paid for both cabins. On paper, you might want to have spouse in one cabin (with father or ?brother) and yourself in other (with an in law). That way if at last moment FIL is suddenly unable to travel again, you still can use both the balconies and cabins for which you paid. And you’ll get double C&A points if either of you ends up solo in a cabin (solo on paper...I assume you’ll be enjoying each other’s company on vacation).

If all goes well and three or four people travel, you can reconfigure on board getting key cards as needed. You’ll all probably want key cards for FIL’s cabin anyway so you can easily assist him if he suddenly needs you.

If dad still doesn't want to go we will make him go and he just sit in his room and at times we get him out and take a walk, he should be walking in five weeks since he will do rehab...either he sits at home and watches the tv there or he be on the ship sit and watch tv there and he has a nice balcony to look out and sit out on, I think being on the ship is better than being at home, so things are looking more optimistic.

:ship:

He just had a life threatening event and you want to force him to cruise . What if He gets deathly sick on the cruise ? I would respect his wishes about whether he fells he can travel or not .

He just had a life threatening event and you want to force him to cruise . What if He gets deathly sick on the cruise ? I would respect his wishes about whether he fells he can travel or not .

I'd rather be dead on a cruise ship than alive in ICU on life support.

Starryeyes hi- When he travels with us, we always get a room/cabin next door to him, we don't have connecting rooms but this time we will ask for a spare key to his room, great idea!

Gerif- He refuses the wheelchair, told him I have him wheeled onto the the ship and off and he says no, stubborn, but honestly, if we feel he needs it I will have it arranged as I have a wheelchair for myself to get on and off the ship. He will take his walker...I can't push him because 22 days ago I had a anterior cervical discectomy and fusion 2 level and bone spurs taken out of my spinal cord, I am not in good shape myself but my surgeon said I be able to cruise, just have to abide by some rules, wearing my cervical brace in crowds so I don't get pushed and fall...I have to wear an electrical stimulator for 6 months which helps regenerate my bone fusions/helps bone to grow...and I also need my other half to hold onto in case somebody knocks into me and I can't look up or down so I need him, guess dad will be on one side of him and I the other lol.

Sailor_Sally- He needs to walk and get around, right now he is in the hospital and they are getting him up and yesterday they walked him and gave him a walker and walked outside his room....he also will go into rehab on monday so they be teaching him how to do things and walk again. He has had a problem the past three years, too stubborn to listen to us to go to the doctor, can't force him he is so set in his head but now he knows we will take control and he is going to listen and go to the doctors....but when we take him on vacations, he always comes back saying he feels the best/so good, yes, because we got him walking around, he is a widow for 42 years and doesn't drive due to getting hit by a car years ago so all he does is sits in his house, the reason why we take him to the stores and take him on some of our yearly trips to get him out of that house. Going on the cruise will be good therapy for him, whether he sits in his house or sits in his cabin its best to be on the cruise because at least at times we have him walking around with his walker. Its good for him. We always get him GeoBlue International health insurance (I also have it due to the fact I also have medical problems) and we purchase it every year to cover him for a year, so in case he needs any medical care he has full medical coverage, no out of pocket fees, no deductibles and up to 1Million dollars, I have the same but I purchase mine per trip, he is 79 it is more economical for him to purchase the yearly plan.

Starry Eyes- Your right, if he really doesn't want to go he won't go but we have 5 weeks to go until the cruise and he can get alot better, its just too early to tell, but I need a back up plan should he not want to go.

James43939- That goes with me too, I rather be on a ship at least my last days are happy lol.

OK SO THE UPDATE:

I called RC and they said that since he has a medical issue, all I need is for a doctor to write a statement he cannot go on the cruise, they will allow me to add two different people to the cabin, I can do it anytime they said. They said they treat medical issues differently, so I was very happy to hear that.

That is the first time I have heard that they will make an exception for a medical issue, especially when one did not buy insurance through the cruise line. Nice touch, assuming what that rep said to you is accurate (oft repeated on this forum: RCI=Really Consistently Inconsistent)

I do hope he gets better quickly and is well enough to travel with his loving family next month.

Yes it was very nice of them. Dad just got out of the hospital and is being transported to the Rehab so this is all good news. We really want him to go on the cruise, we love having him and want to get him out and away.

Thank you everybody, things are looking alot more optimistic.