Seaside Yacht Club Screaming Kid(s) March 3-10

ken_ll

In the Yacht Club, the screaming kid is a first for us in the dining room. Having sailed 40 cruises, I guess there is first for everything. First, mom, dad and perhaps the 18 month old and not getting what he wants, just screams. Parents ignore. Parents get non-verbal glares from other diners.

Yesterday, we meet another family with perhaps a 13 month old child who also started screaming but mom removes him from the dining room. All’s well.

This morning when we we went to breakfast at 8:45 am, the table we generally get at dinner but never at breakfast is empty plus most tables in the immediate area on the port side.

Then I learned that there was a screaming match a few minutes earlier by the 18 month old and the 13 month old kids. This time, the diners in the area got up and re-seated themselves to the starboard side of the dining room. This incident was relayed to me by one of the diners affected. Apparently, at some point after the diners re-located, the screamers and parents left.

A heads up to those cruisers on the March 10 - 17 sailing, I suspect you will have the the two screamers due to the distance the parents have travelled to get to Miami. There will be more children under 3 next week and lots of teens/preteens in the Yacht Club.

Was the Yacht Club enjoyable, yes. It would be more so without screaming.

In the Yacht Club, the screaming kid is a first for us in the dining room. Having sailed 40 cruises, I guess there is first for everything. First, mom, dad and perhaps the 18 month old and not getting what he wants, just screams. Parents ignore. Parents get non-verbal glares from other diners.

Yesterday, we meet another family with perhaps a 13 month old child who also started screaming but mom removes him from the dining room. All’s well.

This morning when we we went to breakfast at 8:45 am, the table we generally get at dinner but never at breakfast is empty plus most tables in the immediate area on the port side.

Then I learned that there was a screaming match a few minutes earlier by the 18 month old and the 13 month old kids. This time, the diners in the area got up and re-seated themselves to the starboard side of the dining room. This incident was relayed to me by one of the diners affected. Apparently, at some point after the diners re-located, the screamers and parents left.

A heads up to those cruisers on the March 10 - 17 sailing, I suspect you will have the the two screamers due to the distance the parents have travelled to get to Miami. There will be more children under 3 next week and lots of teens/preteens in the Yacht Club.

It is what it is. Only solution is Adult only cruise or resort. We had a flight from Dominican last Dec with about 10 screaming kids , I really wanted to jump from plane.

Haha, made a comment in an unrelated thread.

NEW ISSUE (Could be hot button) - There are three very young (babies to toddlers) that simply do not belong in the dining room based upon their constant crying and actually screaming the ENTIRE time. People around them try to help and now the staff has even been holding and walking them. On of the toddlers was racing around the tables, the stairs to the lounge. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE - - PARENTING. The fact that MSC allows it is fascinating. NOTE - - First time we've encountered on any cruise; have seen hundreds of toddlers with parents that made it work, and we have our own GK's, 3-5, which we can take to a resort restaurant, with ZERO ISSUES (other than compliments from the staff).
In response to a reply that suggest "we" change our dinner time.

Empowering the .05% not really a good idea IMO. :oAsked, along with others, RM to consider policies and procedures going forward. If one (or three) are "offended" (modern impairment) by objection to their own flaw in parenting, does that take priority over the hundred+ "affected?" The answer to many 'moderns is 'yes (victims' syndrome). Not my answer. Having everyone's tide lowered to lowest uncommon denominator will not 'work out in the long run.

MSC also eliminated the YC seating, waiter selection and reservation time system. WHY? Because some guests (estimated by RM) 5% did not show up or call to cancel. Made for problems with others waiting. So, the 5% disrespectful do not face the consequences of their own actions and lose their seating and reservation, the other 95% no longer can pick a table, a waiter and a time as previously well known for. :(

Oh well, still a great time. Just hashing out some of the issues and changes.

We're B2B next week, big increase in toddlers and almost 30 teens. Teens have been zero issues this week, very mature with good parents. The toddlers at dining are IMO broken into two categories; those with good parents and the others. :o

STILL HAVING A GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT TIME.

Im in Yacht club starting tomorrow the 10th , i will have no issue saying something straight to the parents , i know kids are unpredictable , but if it becomes a issue i have no issue then it will be come intreresting lol

They have every right to vacation , but if they are screaming and the parent isnt handling it thats the problem

I guess we will see

March and April is Spring Break so there will be LOTS of kids sailing infants to teenagers. Not saying the screaming was acceptable and the child shouldn't have been removed but if you choose those months to sail expect there to be lots of kids and some whining/tantrums since no kids are perfect. That said, the child should have been removed from the dining room to not upset the other diners.

I guess this is where I never would have taken that kind of vacation while my children were infants. I didn't start to really take vacations with my kids until they were 4.

I have taken mine since infants.Cruises, resorts, hotels, airplanes. They have always traveled very well. A cruise is the best way to travel with infants. Although I was always respectful of others and if they started acting up, we went back to the cabin.

March and April is Spring Break so there will be LOTS of kids sailing infants to teenagers. Not saying the screaming was acceptable and the child shouldn't have been removed but if you choose those months to sail expect there to be lots of kids and some whining/tantrums since no kids are perfect. That said, the child should have been removed from the dining room to not upset the other diners.

Absolutely , but there is a difference between a kid messing around here and there , and a kid screaming and a parent just sitting there , kids will be kids , but if a parent cant control them they need to be removed , especially from certain areas , like dininig room , shows , etc...

My whole family will be sailing in September in YC with a 7 yo and my 2 yo daughter, and we always remove our child from the dining room when they are not behaving.

BUT, just because your in the yacht club doesn't mean there isn't going to be kids, and they have every right to be there as anyone else, if you want adults only go to an all inclusive resort !!

Agree with most everything above. It comes down to courtesy and respect for your fellow cruisers. I've had kids and will be taking my 8 year old grandson with us while staying in YC. Crying happens....but parenting shouldn't take a break cause your on vacation. If a parent makes an effort and eventually leaves with child...I would commend them. If child remains and is fussy and crying throughout the meal.... This is where I may politely say something ...stares never work. If so...they would have left lol

exactly, bad parents are bad parents but I don't feel the need to patronize families for booking YC, if you have the means then you should have every right to sail in YC.

Yup... Children are allowed so expect it!! Also with the "kids sail free" promo.....You should expect this

As stated, if one has the means, one can sail in the YC. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a certain amount of decorum. It's not the Playland at McDonald's. Just because one spent the money doesn't give one the right to behave however as one jolly well pleases. If you want the freedom to behave however, do it where it won't it pact others, who also spent the money to be there.

Agree. Screaming kids should be removed immediately. My wife or myself removed my daughter immediately if she was having 'a moment'. It didn't matter if we were in Denny's or a 4 star restaurant. Respect and common decency with regard to your fellow passengers.

My 8 y/o daughter has been cruising since she was about 1.5 years old. She was never left screaming in a dining room.

Quite frankly, I think the cruise staff should handle the situation but if it comes down to it I would not have a problem politely saying something.

Too bad last week it was so quiet and relaxing in the YC.

Im in Yacht club starting tomorrow the 10th , i will have no issue saying something straight to the parents , i know kids are unpredictable , but if it becomes a issue i have no issue then it will be come intreresting lol

They have every right to vacation , but if they are screaming and the parent isnt handling it thats the problem

I guess we will see

I'm also in YC starting on the 10th. I'm hoping its a quiet cruise on that front as well :) I'm a big guy (6'6" 300#) so maybe we'll run into each other in top sail.

Mark

I've been in the YC several times and have only had one issue with a child and his parents. I was in the pool and his mother was letting him jump and splash without consideration to the others in the pool. Kids will be kids, he was having fun but that's a small pool. Go to the big main pool was my thought. I got out since mom didn't give a damn. Other then that always polite kids with great parenting.

I also think it's not MSC or their staff to parent someone else's child. The staff is being nice to the children because they have to or they want an extra tip.... come on they have plenty to do you think they want to deal with screaming kids and pissed passengers. That truly is not a waiters job in LeMuse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I agree, certainly not the wait staff. They have enough on their plate, pun intended. Not to mention, they more than likely, have not been provided the training necessary to deal with that situation.

But a restaurant manager or someone involved in customer service would be appropriate.

Edited by fish_guru
More info

This is a common topic on all the boards with all cruise lines. With what cruise ships have become-geared towards families and chidren-you are going to have lots of kids. Some good some bad. Parenting skills, some good, some bad. Adult behavior without kids, some good some bad.

MSC Seaside is geared towards families-lots of kids will be on board.

To date-on all my sailings, I have seen more bad behavior by grown adults then children. Come to think of it, all the bad behavior I have seen is by grown adults. Maybe I have been lucky but never a child issue on one of my cruises. I also do not sail on any school breaks or summer vacation.;)

• 3 months later...
As stated, if one has the means, one can sail in the YC. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a certain amount of decorum. It's not the Playland at McDonald's. Just because one spent the money doesn't give one the right to behave however as one jolly well pleases. If you want the freedom to behave however, do it where it won't it pact others, who also spent the money to be there.

Playland. Love it. I plan to go to playland or Chuck E. Cheese and tell all the children to use their “quiet” voices. Age.wisdom. Revenge. Perhaps sit in the ball crawl and say hush

When, in extreme cases only, someone is being extremly rude and annoying, and when glances and eye rolls do not do the trick... I get even...

I smile and start singing. It ain't pretty.

Usually, almost always, works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When, in extreme cases only, someone is being extremly rude and annoying, and when glances and eye rolls do not do the trick... I get even...

I smile and start singing. It ain't pretty.

Usually, almost always, works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Uh oh Donna....see you are on the MSC boards. Have you bitten the bullet and booked a YC yet?