Salmon served onboard board farm raised or wild?

wlbox

You are actually expecting fresh, locally sourced seafood in the MDR of a mainstream-priced cruise line?

Galley provisions are loaded frozen into bulk containers and delivered to the ship at turnaround ports. From lowest-bid suppliers often halfway around the world, having been prepared weeks in advance.

I'm sure that fishywood is correct. Maybe it was my imagination, but the salmon we had on our Alaska cruise was the best I've eaten anywhere. I am aware that those two statements sound contradictory.

I am aware that Disney uses different suppliers in Europe than they do in the US; I suspect that Princess may similarly use different sources in different parts of the world.

That said, I'm sure the salmon is frozen, as is the lobster!

In Alaska we were told the Salmon was Alaskan salmon but I don’t know if that made it farm raised or wild.

The menu didn’t specify it was Alaskan, still said it was Atlantic salmon but that was from the previous itinerary. The waiter said they just didn’t bother to change the menu.

I have asked on board and it was confirmed to me that the salmon was farmed, with all that implies about residues of antibiotics, antifungals, etc etc. Like much of the seafood imported to the US. Let's not even talk about the farmed Tilapia..... just too horrific!

It seems pretty obvious from the food onboard that Princess source the cheapest they can, nowhere is this more obvious than the beef in the main dining room.

I just had 2 weeks cruising on a different line which has smaller ships and now costs only a bit more than Princess since Princess put up their pricing.

The main dining room food and buffet was much better than on Princess. The service was much better as well.

And the butter was identifiable as such, labelled wrapped portions and no rationing.

The steaks were tender and not gristly or over fatty. Unlike Princess's miserable steaks.

And the lobster was Maine lobster, tender, sweet and succulent and BIGGER!

I could go on but won't, all I can say is that I now see Princess food in quite a different light, and nothing special to look forward to eating.

I have asked on board and it was confirmed to me that the salmon was farmed, with all that implies about residues of antibiotics, antifungals, etc etc. Like much of the seafood imported to the US. Let's not even talk about the farmed Tilapia..... just too horrific!

It seems pretty obvious from the food onboard that Princess source the cheapest they can, nowhere is this more obvious than the beef in the main dining room.

I just had 2 weeks cruising on a different line which has smaller ships and now costs only a bit more than Princess since Princess put up their pricing.

The main dining room food and buffet was much better than on Princess. The service was much better as well.

And the butter was identifiable as such, labelled wrapped portions and no rationing.

The steaks were tender and not gristly or over fatty. Unlike Princess's miserable steaks.

I could go on but won't, all I can say is that I now see Princess food in quite a different light, and nothing special to look forward to eating.

So what line had the good food?

Is the salmon served on Princess ships farm raised or wild? Wonder where the shrimp comes from.

Both are likely farm raised with the exception being perhaps Alaska where the may source fresh salmon due to it being priced competitively. I too have heard horror stories about contaminants in oriental farm raised shrimp and also about chemicals and antibiotics in farm raised salmon. I no longer consume either in restaurants unless I am assured it is wild caught. As long as it can pass the flavor test I do not see cruise lines or large restaurant chains paying the premium for wild caught seafood.

So what line had the good food?

Windstar. It was truly excellent. never had better anywhere. Even the scones were great, not like Princess ones.

The ship capacity was half the passengers of Pacific Princess, but it was a big step up from that in food quality, and didn't cost much different to that ship.

Apples to oranges in many other respects of course.

Is the salmon served on Princess ships farm raised or wild? Wonder where the shrimp comes from.

I believe many shrimp are farm raised in ponds which are fed with slurry washed out of pig pens upstream.

No I don't eat shrimp except wild caught cold water shrimp which actually have texture and flavor.

In Alaska we were told the Salmon was Alaskan salmon but I don’t know if that made it farm raised or wild.

The menu didn’t specify it was Alaskan, still said it was Atlantic salmon but that was from the previous itinerary. The waiter said they just didn’t bother to change the menu.

The Princess webpage about their North to Alaska experience states:

FRESH ALASKA SEAFOOD

Enjoy an Alaska-themed dinner in the main dining rooms and special Alaska seafood menus in the specialty restaurants onboard.

My guess would be that’s farm raised but they do not define what seafood is fresh.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/onboard-experience/

They also offer a Cook My Catch option for fish caught during their tours:

Princess Cruises' Cook My Catch is our exclusive culinary experience highlighting the pinnacle of fresh seafood. Reel in your fish during the day while on an excursion and enjoy it later that night for dinner, prepared to your liking by our talented chefs! Guests can choose their preferred preparation and accompaniments for their fresh-caught seafood. From the ocean, to your table - in the same day.

Fish must be caught while on select Princess approved excursions in Juneau, Ketchikan, Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge, Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge & Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge and can be served for dinner.

Edited by Astro Flyer

No more Salmon on the ship for me. I gobble up the shrimp cocktail. Guess I should limit that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last week on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam I took the kitchen tour and the Assistant Head Chef was available to answer questions. I asked whether the shrimp (which comes on board frozen) had any additives or preservatives. He said that ALL SHRIMP that is frozen and sold for commercial and/or institutional use, anywhere in the world, has a "glaze" on the shrimp. Since I have sensitivity to the preservatives, that was enough of an answer for me.

If the OP wants wild caught or fresh fish, he/she should look at more boutique cruise ships (Seaborn, SilverSea, etc.) that specify that the chef goes to the market in port to buy the catch of the day. And of course, there's a huge price differential between those lines and Princess.

"Atlantic salmon" being a species, I suppose that it could be both - Alaskan-raised, Atlantic salmon :)

Easily could have been Alaskan, or, at least, raised in the Pacific Ocean.

Also, posters seem to be conflating "farmed" with "frozen." There is no guarantee that "wild caught" seafood has never been frozen. More than likely, it has. I assume that anything I buy in a retail store or in a restaurant has been frozen unless I see it swimming in a tank.

Last September on an Alaska Cruise on the Grand Princess, we had dinner in the Crown Grill the second evening of the cruise. There was an insert in the menu offering special "Alaska" items. The one that caught our eye was raw oysters. (Probably, not really from Alaska--more likely, from Washington, BC or, maybe, Tomales Bay.) We ordered a half-dozen, right away. The waiter told us he would have to check to see if there were any left. Good news. There were, and we loved them. I can tell you that they did not have oysters the rest of the cruise. I don't think you can freeze oysters. (OK, technically, you can freeze anything, but, in the case of oysters, I would think that the defrosted result would be a pretty disgusting glob.) So, that is one time on a ship when I was confident that the seafood was not frozen.

I'm ready to book...what cruise line was it??:D

I'm ready to book...what cruise line was it??:D

Windstar. Virtually no entertainment - its apples and oranges compared to a mass market line - they do have good deals for late booking which make it not much more than Princess - otherwise it can be way expensive, you need to be a savvy booker.......................

and wonderful food, passengers get treated like human beings even by security staff, very friendly crew, unobtrusive totally excellent but not obsequious service, and you can go on the bridge..... need I go on?

oh and the passengers don't push into elevators either

Easily could have been Alaskan, or, at least, raised in the Pacific Ocean.

Also, posters seem to be conflating "farmed" with "frozen." There is no guarantee that "wild caught" seafood has never been frozen. More than likely, it has. I assume that anything I buy in a retail store or in a restaurant has been frozen unless I see it swimming in a tank.

Last September on an Alaska Cruise on the Grand Princess, we had dinner in the Crown Grill the second evening of the cruise. There was an insert in the menu offering special "Alaska" items. The one that caught our eye was raw oysters. (Probably, not really from Alaska--more likely, from Washington, BC or, maybe, Tomales Bay.) We ordered a half-dozen, right away. The waiter told us he would have to check to see if there were any left. Good news. There were, and we loved them. I can tell you that they did not have oysters the rest of the cruise. I don't think you can freeze oysters. (OK, technically, you can freeze anything, but, in the case of oysters, I would think that the defrosted result would be a pretty disgusting glob.) So, that is one time on a ship when I was confident that the seafood was not frozen.

You can get oysters from Alaska. From different areas but I've had them from Kachemak Bay.

From alaskaoyster.com: "Oysters thrive in the clean salt water of Alaska’s coastline because the water is so cold.* Alaskan oysters don’t reproduce in waters this cold, which makes for a high-quality half shell oyster. These Kachemaks® brand of Alaskan oysters only from The Kachemak Bay Shellfish Co-op *have sweet, plump meat the consumer enjoys.

These suspended oysters can feed continually on plankton in the water and avoid exposure to hot summer suns, cold winter winds, mud and sand. As a result of this coddled life, Alaskan oysters are uniformly shaped with deep cups and plump meats — perfect for serving on the half shell.

Alaskan oysters are among the safest oysters in the marketplace, especially compared with other regions that operate under harvest limitations because of public health concerns. The reason may be the cold and pristine Alaskan waters.* Alaskan oysters are harvested from waters that rarely exceed 50°F."

Sent from my SM-G935U using Forums mobile app

Thanks, AKNurseMom. Good to know. That description you posted has my mouth watering,

My wife and I will be cruising to AK, again, the end of April, We will be dining in the Grill as soon as we can get in. I truly hope thay have the "Alaska" insert, again, and I truly hope they have the oysters. If so, I'll try to read the fine print to see what kind they are.

Windstar. Virtually no entertainment - its apples and oranges compared to a mass market line - they do have good deals for late booking which make it not much more than Princess - otherwise it can be way expensive, you need to be a savvy booker.......................

and wonderful food, passengers get treated like human beings even by security staff, very friendly crew, unobtrusive totally excellent but not obsequious service, and you can go on the bridge..... need I go on?

oh and the passengers don't push into elevators either

I've done a couple cruises on their non-sailing, former Seaborne, 212 passenger "yachts" (as featured in the Speed II movie, along with Sandra Bollack). I can attest to the excellent food and apples to oranges experience. The good part is by the end of the cruise you know most of the passengers onboard... The bad part is by the end of the cruise you know most of the passengers onboard!:D:D

Alaska doesn't raise farmed Salmon. It is illegal. Princess has had a contract with a local supplier to deliver wild caught Salmon. Other than in Alaska, they serve farmed fish. Personally, coming from Alaska, I would not eat it....We have wonderful oysters....and wild caught shrimp also...Have no idea what the plan is for this season...

Alaska doesn't raise farmed Salmon. It is illegal. Princess has had a contract with a local supplier to deliver wild caught Salmon. Other than in Alaska, they serve farmed fish. Personally, coming from Alaska, I would not eat it....We have wonderful oysters....and wild caught shrimp also...Have no idea what the plan is for this season...

Laughing husky, I think Alaska shrimp are the best! And I've become a salmon snob due to being spoiled with our fresh salmon!

Sent from my SM-G935U using Forums mobile app

I will say that I've seen them bringing on seafood in the Alaska ports, right up the main gangway (which was sometimes an interesting experience to watch depending on the time period). I think in general it was frozen stuff that I saw, but the boxes did indicate an Alaska origin. Been a while, so I can't remember exactly what it was they were loading.