Voom on RCCL

• 6 months later...
All I can imagine is everyone on their cell phones while I'm trying to get away from that. Do that many people really pay for VOOM or do they limit the users? Texting while walking may cause you to fall overboard!

Believe me, I wish I could completely disconnect but there is just too much at stake for me to completely disconnect for a week.

RCCL has stated that they price the service based on bandwidth, so they don't actually limit the number of people but they will price it accordingly to dissuade people from purchasing it if they are getting close to capacity

All I can imagine is everyone on their cell phones while I'm trying to get away from that. Do that many people really pay for VOOM or do they limit the users? Texting while walking may cause you to fall overboard!

No limits that I've seen.

RCCL has stated that they price the service based on bandwidth, so they don't actually limit the number of people but they will price it accordingly to dissuade people from purchasing it if they are getting close to capacity

While there's some dynamic pricing, I've never heard of them go above MSRP for Surf ($16) and Stream ($20).

My wife is sitting out my next cruise at home and letting me go without her on the condition that I stay connected with her very frequently. :)

^ when she asks you afterwards why you didn't message often enough you can always claim that VOOM is not working very well - which could end up being true.

Yes, she knows from firsthand experience sailing in the Caribbean. Even when we're both on the ship together sometimes texting between us is not reliable. And I will be crossing the Atlantic with 8,500+ people on board, so who knows how well it will work. But it's a brand new ship so cheers to the latest and greatest tech. We shall see and I will report back.

The answer really is "it depends" You're less likely to have issues on the newer O3B systems which are on a handful of ships, but even the older ones can handle wi-fi calling and streaming, if you're patient. There are quirks that you have to plow through. For example, one cruise, I kept getting cut off the router in miduse and would not be able to connect sometimes for 5 minutes or more.. Another time, I could not stream, but it was obvious data came in because I could scrub and fast forward, but not play. It was replicated by the IT manager on his device as well. Some times, probably with multiple people using the system at the same time, it would slow to a trickle (.5 mbps or less, yes that's less than 1). And sometimes, the system will just not let you connect for unknown reasons. And when it work, some sites and apps, just don't work right for some reason, even if they worked before.

Does WiFi calling work on the Voom WiFi on RCCL?

Used it last week on Enchantment. I have Verizon & an iPhone. I used it in my cabin on deck 3, in the theater, (don't worry not during a show, theater was empty about 30 minutes before show, and I was bored) It was clearer than making call on the Verizon network at home.