Purchase drink package for only 1 adult in room?

First, let me start by saying I am aware of the new drink package policy.

My question is, WHEN ONBOARD is it possible to get around the buying deluxe beverage packages for everyone in the room? If just one adult (who is the drinker) goes up and purchases the DBP are they checking to see who else is in the room at that point? I know we would lose the opportunity to save 20% by pre-purchasing online (when offered).

Reason being, I have purchased beverage packages onboard before and the person selling the package just writes it up and sends it over to have it charged to your room....

And I don't even want to purchase to $26/day refreshment package because I don't drink $26 worth of soda a day let alone a month.

I would like to have factual answers and not the "I suppose" or "I guess you could try" because this is going to be the decision breaker in whether I book RCCL or NCL for next cruise. Thanks.

While no one can definitely answer your question, let me point out that the Refreshment package also includes all virgin drinks, fresh squeezed oj and bottled water besides soda. Enjoy NCL.

ok this has been like 3 years ago on the Oasis we traveled with a group of six of us, 4 couples we all purchased the drink package ahead of time, one couple the wife decided she didn’t want the drink package ( was not going to drink that much). They refunded the rest of her package! Im not sure if this really answers the question, but they didn’t make both people in the cabin have the package!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can tell you that on Adventure, no one we have talked with will allow only one person in the stateroom to get the Deluxe drink package. However, they are offering to allow the second person to get the soda package.

My question is, WHEN ONBOARD is it possible to get around the buying deluxe beverage packages for everyone in the room? If just one adult (who is the drinker) goes up and purchases the DBP are they checking to see who else is in the room at that point? I know we would lose the opportunity to save 20% by pre-purchasing online (when offered).

Reason being, I have purchased beverage packages onboard before and the person selling the package just writes it up and sends it over to have it charged to your room....

And I don't even want to purchase to $26/day refreshment package because I don't drink $26 worth of soda a day let alone a month.

I would like to have factual answers and not the "I suppose" or "I guess you could try" because this is going to be the decision breaker in whether I book RCCL or NCL for next cruise. Thanks.

If there are two adults in the cabin both are required to purchase a drinks package, however only one of those packages needs to be a Deluxe Package.

I asked a similar question back in December and never really got a definitive answer.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2576460

I don’t really understand how if you have three friends in a cabin, with three sea passes, and one person decides to buy the package the ship can charge the sea passes of the other two people without them being present to authorize the charges. This would imply if one person went alone to purchase they would be charged for all three people if indeed ALL people in the cabin have to purchase, but as I said I never really got an answer as to what happens in practice.

If there are two adults in the cabin both are required to purchase a drinks package, however only one of those packages needs to be a Deluxe Package.

Correct, the other package, I believe, has to be the Refreshment Package which is $30.68/day (grat incl) based on the current $26/day price I am seeing. That's a lot of stuff that won't be consumed (soda,juices,coffees - none of these are beverages we drink in excess). And their are three people in our cabin, so that would be 2 Refreshment Packages that would be wasted.

No worries. If it ever comes down to it, the one drinker can just a la carte on the drinks and hopefully be able to keep up with the receipts to make sure they are charging the correct amount to drinks to account.:D

Thanks for the input....think we're gonna do NCL and let the first 2 pick their FREE BEVERAGE PACKAGE promo and then the third person won't be required to purchase one since the first two guests are not "purchasing" theirs.

The "free" drink packages on NCL are still going to cost you the gratuity charge which was over $100 pp on our sailing.

The "free" drink packages on NCL are still going to cost you the gratuity charge which was over $100 pp on our sailing.

Yes, $249.20 for 2. Still way cheaper than buying 1 UBP and 2 RP on RCCL or going a la carte for the one drinker on either cruise line. And NCL doesn't even allow ANY exceptions to their purchased packages like RCCL. One person buys the DBP then so does everyone, they don't allow you to purchase the soda package for non-drinkers.

I can tell you that on Adventure, no one we have talked with will allow only one person in the stateroom to get the Deluxe drink package. However, they are offering to allow the second person to get the soda package.

Now if this were an option, we would definitely buy the drink package for 1 and the soda package for 1 - and that would work out perfectly for me - as well as the couple we are going with.

Going on Anthem next... will have to see if anyone has had this offered to them on Anthem.

Yes, $249.20 for 2. Still way cheaper than buying 1 UBP and 2 RP on RCCL or going a la carte for the one drinker on either cruise line. And NCL doesn't even allow ANY exceptions to their purchased packages like RCCL. One person buys the DBP then so does everyone, they don't allow you to purchase the soda package for non-drinkers.

It depends on how you look at it. Two people are paying gratuities on a package they don't want, plus are giving up another free option so that one person can drink. Doesn't sound like a good option to me.

Yes, this is the "chatter" I am hearing also. This would be due to the "exceptions list" that RCCL has made public (non-drinkers, religion, medical issue, pregnancy, etc). I guess they figure, well we'll go ahead and make you exempt from requiring the alcohol package purchase, but you'll have to buy the Refreshment Package. ??

Yes they are. The bars have a list of cabins and occupants and making sure everyone over 21 has a package.

Now if this were an option, we would definitely buy the drink package for 1 and the soda package for 1 - and that would work out perfectly for me - as well as the couple we are going with.

Going on Anthem next... will have to see if anyone has had this offered to them on Anthem.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to call RCCL if you want to pre-purchase and have it done this way because if you try to do it online in the cruise planner it will automatically give everyone the UBP and you can't get around it. Or you can wait to get onboard, pay full price for the UBP, and hope that one of their staff will do it for you.

Yes, this is the "chatter" I am hearing also. This would be due to the "exceptions list" that RCCL has made public (non-drinkers, religion, medical issue, pregnancy, etc). I guess they figure, well we'll go ahead and make you exempt from requiring the alcohol package purchase, but you'll have to buy the Refreshment Package. ??

As I mentioned, at least on Adventure, they are allowing the soda package at $8.50 per day for the non-alcohol package, as opposed to the Refreshment package at $26/day.

My parents just got off a ship less than two weeks ago (I am 75% sure it was the Grandeur) and he was able to purchase the alcohol package for himself no problems. They came around selling the package and he asked if he could get it just for himself (my mother does not drink anything except water and coffee) and he said no problem. My dad asked him to confirm with his supervisor and he came back 30 minutes later and said it was perfectly fine. He didn't have a problem the entire time he was on the ship. I can confirm tonight what ship they were on.

Just got off Freedom (March 11-17) and purchased a drink package for my husband through Cruise Planner before we boarded. There was one drink cup for soda in the room when we boarded and he used his room card no problem throughout the cruise for alcohol.

I agree! On our cruise a year ago (before they changed the policy) this is what we had. My husband had the deluxe drink package and I had soda only as I don't drink much and don't want the mocktails because they're WAY too many calories with WAY too much sugar! I am so sad that they changed this policy. I feel if both people have any sort of package it should be fine. So this year my husband is getting the refreshment package and I'm getting the soda and voom package. Sorry RCCL, you lost the sale on this one. Same goes for our friends that are cruising with us. :(

As I mentioned, at least on Adventure, they are allowing the soda package at $8.50 per day for the non-alcohol package, as opposed to the Refreshment package at $26/day.

They should make this change across the board. Also, why are the deluxe packages different prices on different ships? "Sale" price of $37 on Navigator and $48 on Oasis?