Navigator's 2018 World Cruise "Read all about it!"

cwn

We didn't go up to Galileo very much early on. You can add a wrap or jacket if is too cool for you, but there is nothing you can do except endure or not go if it is too warm for you.

The ship has had very warm spots up until the last week. They turned the whole system warmer out of Walvis Bay and have spent the last two weeks adjusting the AC. The dinning rooms and the bars have finally been at the same comfortable temp for the last week plus.

This seems to be OK for most and there are a lot of sun dresses, short sleeve shirts in the dinning room and bars. There are also a lot of wraps and sports coats/sweaters too. I think they have hit a happy medium finally.

The highlighted sentence is very important, In my opinion. When you said that some people are wearing sun dresses and short sleeve shirts while others have wraps, sports coats and sweaters, it really shows how people are different in terms of heat/cold tolerance. It makes no sense to me to have a room at 74 degrees when people can simply put on to get warmer while people that feel that 74 degrees is too hot can't do much about it. We keep our home at 67 degrees so 74 is like a sauna to us.

The highlighted sentence is very important, In my opinion. When you said that some people are wearing sun dresses and short sleeve shirts while others have wraps, sports coats and sweaters, it really shows how people are different in terms of heat/cold tolerance. It makes no sense to me to have a room at 74 degrees when people can simply put on to get warmer while people that feel that 74 degrees is too hot can't do much about it. We keep our home at 67 degrees so 74 is like a sauna to us.

Having been on the ship for over 100 days now we have really gotten to know many of the passengers. Especially those with similar routine and likes. About a month ago at one of the card classes one of the ladies came in short shorts and a tank top...in fact, she wears that most days. Another lady came in a light weight outfit but wrapped up in a comforter (from the bed), said she was freezing! I was in cotton slacks and a cotton t-shirt and perfectly comfortable as were most of the group.

It seems a lot of the Brits and some Europeans find the AC on the cool side while the rest of us are happy and would rather have it a little too cool instead of the other way around.

But then we no longer travel in Great Britain or Europe in the summer months because we find the buildings too warm.

Just a fast up date. We are sailing toward Santos then on into Rio for an overnight.

It is a beautiful calm Sea Day! We had another Galley Lunch today.

The extra day in Montevideo was a real treat, enjoyed by all especially the crew!!!. It is a very walkable city.

The third and last World Cruise Event in Buenos Aries was stellar! Regent (Jason M) kept their promise to us to make up for the terrible event in Richards Bay (read my blog for that day).

It is almost the end of the fifth segment...less than a month left on this great voyage.

• 2 weeks later...

We just crossed the equator for the "last" time on the WC. The Navigator is back in the Northern Hemisphere as of about 1:30 today!

The journey is fast coming to an end. We had two great days in Rio on the 29th and 30th. Had not been there since the Circle SA cruise in 2011 on the Mariner. We had a great time. The city is so much cleaner than it was then!

They really cleaned up for the Olympics and seem to be maintaining it. Didn't hear about any problems from the passengers who had spent several days there before boarding nor from the ones who got off just for the night.

Personally we felt very comfortable. Some police around, but nothing like what we saw in Buenos Aries several days before.

We had a wonderful day in Recife on the 3rd.

I have got the blog up to date again for those of you following us.

www.2018worldcruise.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

We are currently in the Panama Canal in Gatum Lake. It is an over cast day which is making the transit much more comfortable. We watched the NCL Bliss enter the channel for the new locks at Gatum and then come out into Gatum Lake. It took her longer to go through than it did us. The local commentator said that NCL is paying $800,000 for her trip. She didn't say what it is costing Regent, but she did say that the old locks are not nearly as costly.

We could not tender at Devil's Island it was very rough. The captain tried several approaches, but no luck. Had to count that port as a sail by which was too bad for those who had never been there. So far that is four ports we missed. Guess that isn't too bad for something like 68 ports over four and a half months.

We wound up only doing one ship's excursion in the Caribbean and it turned into a private one due to the bus situation. We canceled the other two tours and did our own thing,

The ship is gearing up for a big inspection when we hit LA. Lots of deep cleaning, carpet repair and paint scrapping!

www.2018worldcruise.blogspot.com

Edited by cwn

Thank you so much for your postings. We have done full world cruises in the past and have friends on board with you now. With 4 young grandchildren and 3 beloved aging pets, not sure if we'll do another WC or not, TBD. Your postings bring back so many fond memories. I remember the bitter sweet when getting off the ship after almost 4 months, saying the good byes and then re-entering reality.... don't walk out on your check when you go out to dinner at home the first time haha.

Safe travels home. Thanks so much for your postings.

The ship is gearing up for a big inspection when we hit LA. Lots of deep cleaning, carpet repair and paint scrapping!

Any idea of when the "deep cleaning, carpet repair and paint scraping" is going to take place? Will they be doing it on your voyage or the next one? Wonder if the big inspection will impact those boarding for the next cruise on the 25th? Any information would be much appreciated.

Any idea of when the "deep cleaning, carpet repair and paint scraping" is going to take place? Will they be doing it on your voyage or the next one? Wonder if the big inspection will impact those boarding for the next cruise on the 25th? Any information would be much appreciated.

Work is going on right now and has been for several days. They were replacing carpet by Deck 5 restrooms the other day. Department heads were roaming around our suites with a check list this morning. There will be a health department inspection or something official to do with food and the kitchen in LA according to one of the Head Waiters. I assume that all repair type work will be done by turn around in LA.

Other than some unforeseen problem getting us off, I would think your boarding should be as usual.

Hi Carolyn. I'm enjoying your blog. I loved your Rio pics. It seems like forever since we got off the ship after the first leg. Are you anxious to get home?? I'm sure it will be good to see your family. Thanks for keeping us informed. Enjoy your last weeks.

Hi Carolyn. I'm enjoying your blog. I loved your Rio pics. It seems like forever since we got off the ship after the first leg. Are you anxious to get home?? I'm sure it will be good to see your family. Thanks for keeping us informed. Enjoy your last weeks.

Thanks for reading. We really enjoyed Rio. Not sure why people are afraid of going there. It is like any big city and now is cleaner than many. Just need to use a little common sense.

We have had a really nice day in the Panama Canal. It was great to see some of the new locks. We could see the NCL Bliss going through several of the locks. Two of the up coming ports are new to us so that is exciting also.

Yes, I hate to say this, but I am ready to get home. I am looking forward to toast that is buttered before it is toasted so it is not hard as nails.We really enjoyed the first five segments. Regent worked hard at keeping us busy and entertained. But since Rio things have really fallen off. The General Manager/hotel staff is not as on top of things as they were under Davor and some of the others who have left.

They seem to be having a hard time keeping the fresh foods in good condition, breads, pastries and cookies not over cooked and the food rotation seems stuck in a rut. The food is still good, but it is just off. There have been a number of new crew come on at each port recently and the ballet that has made the service so good, is off.

They have moved Clive to start no earlier than 6:30 when he is in the Starts Lounge. That is a terrible place for him. It is too big and noisy. When he is in the Navigator Lounge he doesn't start until 7 or 7:30. So those of us who like a little entertainment before dinner with our cocktails at 6:30 to 7 are out of luck to enjoy his sessions. There have been no special things for the WCer's this segment and only one pre dinner show for the whole ship. Jamie seems to have disappeared in organizing entertainment. They have also cut way back on the interesting talks and classes. I don't care a flip for shopping and spa talks. Sarah is still doing an activity, but not as often and they did not replace the second activity lady out of Rio. Thank goodness Terry is still giving talks or Dick would be climbing the walls.

These are all little things, I know, but we are still on the World Cruise. Regent needs to remember that the last impressions are just as important as the first especially when the first impressions are 4 1/2 month old!

OK, I vented. I put this in my mid cruise comment card. Won't make any difference as it seems that the main thing the staff is concerned about now is repair and seeing how much they can disrupt the flow of the ship with closed areas.

Don't get me wrong, we still are having fun of our own making, but some things have slipped that should not have.

Don't get me wrong, we still are having fun of our own making, but some things have slipped that should not have.

We have enjoyed following you on your journey, and somehow wish Regent will read of your frustrations and make the rest of your cruise as nice as the previous segments.

While we look forward to sailing on the Navigator on the 25th of this month, we are also a bit apprehensive about what the ship and crew will be like then. We want to privately celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary, so we are holding every good thought!!

Thank you for all of your posts! Could you check to see who the CD will be when the ship leaves NYC in June?

Thanks for reading. We really enjoyed Rio. Not sure why people are afraid of going there. It is like any big city and now is cleaner than many. Just need to use a little common sense.

We have had a really nice day in the Panama Canal. It was great to see some of the new locks. We could see the NCL Bliss going through several of the locks. Two of the up coming ports are new to us so that is exciting also.

Yes, I hate to say this, but I am ready to get home. I am looking forward to toast that is buttered before it is toasted so it is not hard as nails.We really enjoyed the first five segments. Regent worked hard at keeping us busy and entertained. But since Rio things have really fallen off. The General Manager/hotel staff is not as on top of things as they were under Davor and some of the others who have left.

They seem to be having a hard time keeping the fresh foods in good condition, breads, pastries and cookies not over cooked and the food rotation seems stuck in a rut. The food is still good, but it is just off. There have been a number of new crew come on at each port recently and the ballet that has made the service so good, is off.

They have moved Clive to start no earlier than 6:30 when he is in the Starts Lounge. That is a terrible place for him. It is too big and noisy. When he is in the Navigator Lounge he doesn't start until 7 or 7:30. So those of us who like a little entertainment before dinner with our cocktails at 6:30 to 7 are out of luck to enjoy his sessions. There have been no special things for the WCer's this segment and only one pre dinner show for the whole ship. Jamie seems to have disappeared in organizing entertainment. They have also cut way back on the interesting talks and classes. I don't care a flip for shopping and spa talks. Sarah is still doing an activity, but not as often and they did not replace the second activity lady out of Rio. Thank goodness Terry is still giving talks or Dick would be climbing the walls.

These are all little things, I know, but we are still on the World Cruise. Regent needs to remember that the last impressions are just as important as the first especially when the first impressions are 4 1/2 month old!

OK, I vented. I put this in my mid cruise comment card. Won't make any difference as it seems that the main thing the staff is concerned about now is repair and seeing how much they can disrupt the flow of the ship with closed areas.

Carolyn, I have read every one of your blog posts and really enjoyed them. I hope you and your husband enjoy your last few days on Navigator, have a safe trip home, and a not too difficult “reentry” to life at home :).

Carolyn, I have read every one of your blog posts and really enjoyed them. I hope you and your husband enjoy your last few days on Navigator, have a safe trip home, and a not too difficult “reentry” to life at home :).

Oh....I don't want to even think about having to go buy our food and then fix it, much less having to actually clean up afterwards!!!

It was hard to get back to the real world after 72 days around South America. I can't imagine how long it will take after 140 days (including the pre and post hotel stays.)

Thanks for reading the blog. I have always enjoyed reading about other people's world cruises. It is truly a grand experience! We have Prime 7 reservations tonight and one more time before the trip ends. We plan to enjoy every one of these last few days!

Thank you for all of your posts! Could you check to see who the CD will be when the ship leaves NYC in June?

Ray Solaire will join the ship in San Diego and will be on board until 8/21 (Amsterdam) - Jamie & Dana return on that date.

Thanks this will be our first cruise with Ray. I wonder how he runs trivia? My wife wants to get four of those purse hangers!

Ray Solaire will join the ship in San Diego and will be on board until 8/21 (Amsterdam) - Jamie & Dana return on that date.

Thanks this will be our first cruise with Ray. I wonder how he runs trivia? My wife wants to get four of those purse hangers!

Advise your wife to study up on Harry Potter. Ray seems to love Harry Potter questions!

Advise your wife to study up on Harry Potter. Ray seems to love Harry Potter questions!

Ray will do a max of one Harry Potter question each trivia; frequently he won't do any. What I do recommend when sailing with Ray is to spend time with him in Observation Lounge late at night; he has some wonderful stories; dinner with him is also fun. The other CD with whom it is fun to spend time over cocktails is Paul Reynolds; he is a fantastic CD and fun to be around.

Marc

Just to correct, hard to spend time in the observation lounge on the Navigator, as there is not one. Its the major failing on this ship, even though we are booked again on the Navigator in 2019, we miss this feature, which we enjoy so much on the other 3 ships.

cwn,

Thanks for a great blog; I am sure it will take a while to becoming accustomed again to the lack of Regent service when you finish the cruise.

HonTri,

Being a Brit, Ray occasionally likes to quote a couple of lines from the lesser known verses of the "Star Spangled Banner" just to mildly embarrass US guests, and others, who hardly ever know from what famous song he is quoting the lyrics.