What do you think about Florida staying on Daylight savings time.

dolittle

The Law passed by Florida and now a bill in Congress is to Stay on Daylight Savings Time forever [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like quite a bill - "...Stay on Daylight Savings Time forever".

That seems to indicate that no future legislature could ever reconsider -- sounds kind of arrogant: even the U S Constitution has provision for amendments.

Sounds like quite a bill - "...Stay on Daylight Savings Time forever".

That seems to indicate that no future legislature could ever reconsider -- sounds kind of arrogant: even the U S Constitution has provision for amendments.

Next they should pass a bill which would eliminate any legislation that appears to seem they think they can 'rule from the grave'

Edited by sail7seas

Where I come from we have daylight savings and the only inconvenience it causes is having to change the clock twice a year (unless it's your phone/computer etc. which changes automatically). The time either goes back one hour from 3am to 2am or forward one hour from 2am to 3am on a Sunday. It's nice to have that extra hour of daylight in the winter.

As a traveller I just go by what the local time is (as do flight arrival and departure times) so I don't think it will inconvenience tourists too much.

Very well-said. Think about it. If you had a child or grandchild living in Florida, would you really want them waiting for the school bus in the dark?

I grew up in Florida and still live here and even with DST we waited for the bus in the dark half the year

It is now 4/1 and the good ole Government has still not decided what they are going to do.........is anyone really surprised?

I grew up in Florida and still live here as well.

I live in Florida and really don't care if FL stays on DST OR EST all year around. My body clock would be very happy just to not have to adjust to time changes twice a year. Every time it changes, the adjustment takes several weeks and is not pleasant.

We used to live in AZ and the lack of time changes as long as we stayed within the state was no problem. When we left the state to go eastward or westward, we just reset our watches and lived with whatever it was where we were going.

New solution - the entire planet switches to GMT (what everything is based off of anyway) and schools and businesses can regulate their hours as they see fit. Want an extra hour of daylight in your evenings - just work earlier in the day! Flights - won't make a difference, each time is now the same time! Lots of stores are open 24 hours, and those that aren't have their times posted on Google anyway.

Ok, I know this would never work, but as others have said we don't gain or lose an hour; we are just arbitrarily changing what time we call it. If you change what time you are calling the sun rise, it doesn't actually make the sun rise later. The tourists will still have to adjust by X amount of hours to see it, whether it is 6am, 7am, or 1pm.

I live in Florida and really don't care if FL stays on DST OR EST all year around. My body clock would be very happy just to not have to adjust to time changes twice a year. Every time it changes, the adjustment takes several weeks and is not pleasant.

We used to live in AZ and the lack of time changes as long as we stayed within the state was no problem. When we left the state to go eastward or westward, we just reset our watches and lived with whatever it was where we were going.

If, when you leave the state you were able to "...just reset ... watches and lived with whatever it was...", why couldn't do the same when time changes for you without your leaving the state?

Yes - but think how HARD it is to pull out the crown on your wristwatch and twist it to re-set, and then to punch that little button on your car dashboard — just so someone else’s little children won’t have to wait in the dark for school busses, and we can significantly reduce energy consumption.

I HATE having to do things to keep in step with society - everyone else should do things my way.

That assumes that you have an old fashioned Timex watch with no modern upgrades that does nothing but tell the time. I own several multi-function Citizen watches. It is complicated enough on them to change the time that I carry the manual w me as a PDF file when I am away from home. What I usually do on trips is to take one of the Citizens and my old manual wind Omega. That one is easy to change the time on.

I should add that if you never plan to visit Florida except to board or leave your ship, it really does not impact your life at all what Florida does with the time. They can do whatever their citizen want and what the Federal government lets them do.

DON

There's also talk about putting all of New England in the Atlantic Time Zone, which would be like putting it permanently on Daylight Savings Time. The amount of daylight and darkness is the same, no matter what the clock says. Take China for instance...isn't the whole country just one time zone? So somewhere at noonday the sun is directly above and somewhere else, it's dusk. Like I said, no matter what time the clock says it is, there's the same amount of daylight and darkness.

There's also talk about putting all of New England in the Atlantic Time Zone, which would be like putting it permanently on Daylight Savings Time. The amount of daylight and darkness is the same, no matter what the clock says. Take China for instance...isn't the whole country just one time zone? So somewhere at noonday the sun is directly above and somewhere else, it's dusk. Like I said, no matter what time the clock says it is, there's the same amount of daylight and darkness.

In Connecticut on Eastern Time in December it is dark by 4:30 - switching to Atlantic would make that 3:30: kind of dismal.

Sure, messing with Daylight Saving Time, regardless of the zone you are in, is a bit of a hassle, but if it puts more of the daylight hours where more of the people can get better use of them, the unhappy minority should just live with it --- particularly since adjusting to time changes twice a year is kind of low down on the hardship scale.

In Connecticut on Eastern Time in December it is dark by 4:30 - switching to Atlantic would make that 3:30: kind of dismal.

If CT went to Atlantic time, wouldn't it make it an hour ahead, not behind? So it wouldn't start to get dark in Dec until 5:30.....that might not be such a bad thing, but then it wouldn't be light in the morning until 8-ish...which would NOT be such a good thing..

At my latitude/longitude on December 21 the sun rises at about 7:30 AM and sets at about 4:30 PM (Standard Time). On June 21 it rises at about 5:30 AM and sets at about 8:30 PM (Daylight Savings Time). If we were to remain on Standard Time, on June 21 sunrise would be at about 4:30 AM --- when very few people would appreciate or even know about it; and it would be getting dark at about 7:30 PM - when very many people would be likely to appreciate and take advantage of another hour of daylight.

Of course the switch does not create an extra instant of daylight - but it does move an hour of daylight from a useless time (for most people) to a time when it can be put to good use.

Switching clocks is a very small price to pay for a usable hour of daylight for many days. I find it truly depressing to hear so many people express so much resentment about such a common sense (and very simple) adjustment.

Thank you for this perspective. I'm part of the crowd that doesn't like DST and struggle with the change (waking in the dark is hard for me), although the fall change doesn't affect me as much:confused:

I checked, and my times are similar to yours - 7:29/4:41 at Winter Solstice and 5:35/8:43 at Summer Solstice. I used to think it would be good to just stay on EST, but sunrise at 4:35 is early even for me. It confirms that I wouldn't want DST year round too, since sunrise at 8:30 in the winter would be a real hazard in our heavily Amish area (lots of kids on bikes to school).

I still don't like the dark mornings - I feel like I'm just getting light again when the time switch happens - but I understand better now.

If CT went to Atlantic time, wouldn't it make it an hour ahead, not behind? So it wouldn't start to get dark in Dec until 5:30.....that might not be such a bad thing, but then it wouldn't be light in the morning until 8-ish...which would NOT be such a good thing..

Right - I had it backwards. The real point is that in northern areas of the US there is simply a shorter span of daylight in the winter months - and a surplus in the summer months - so the DST switch is a way of trying to put those fewer/more daylight hours to the best use for the most people.