Zodiacs on the Massdam

Martezz

Does anyone have information as to how the zodiacs are going to be used on the Massdam's new in-depth voyages? Will they be available to HAL EXC excursions or will they be used for separate outings that can be signed up only onboard? Will the Zodiacs be used for tender transport when seas are rough? One of the world cruise bloggers said that the Amsterdam may also be getting Zodiacs in the future. Knowing in what capacity the Zodiacs will be used may affect many of us considering private shore excursions.

The only thing I read in my cruise planner about the zodiacs ( when I could still access it....:mad: ) was the information that the zodiac excursions are not free. No doubt they are seen as another source of income for the cruiseline.

Odd that the blog only talks about cruises through April 2019, when Maasdam cruises are available through Augst 2019. So the 3-week Alaska cruises won't be considered in-depth?

I tried looking up some of the smaller ports on the Alaska cruises, but no port info or tours come up for the places I checked. I'd like to know what kind of "in depth" tours they expect to offer.

The only thing I read in my cruise planner about the zodiacs ( when I could still access it....:mad: ) was the information that the zodiac excursions are not free. No doubt they are seen as another source of income for the cruiseline.

I am curious, Why do you think an excursion utilizing a Zodiac would be 'Free'?

Odd that the blog only talks about cruises through April 2019, when Maasdam cruises are available through Augst 2019. So the 3-week Alaska cruises won't be considered in-depth?

I tried looking up some of the smaller ports on the Alaska cruises, but no port info or tours come up for the places I checked. I'd like to know what kind of "in depth" tours they expect to offer.

We are booked on a Maasdam 21 day to Alaska in 2019 and they are offering EXC tours. That said, HAL has been making a lot of changes to the itineraries, however, and EXC tours that were listed for certain tours a week ago, now have been changed or no longer listed. I am guessing that changes are not complete yet. Many changes , which include ports as well as "in port" times have been made.

As far as why some readers might ask about zodiacs being free, there are some smaller cruise lines (expedition type) that do offer free zodiac tours. We were on a 10 day Iceland navigational tour last summer that offered free zodiac tours. It was great! But I get why HAL would charge.

We are booked on a Maasdam 21 day to Alaska in 2019 and they are offering EXC tours. That said, HAL has been making a lot of changes to the itineraries, however, and EXC tours that were listed for certain tours a week ago, now have been changed or no longer listed. I am guessing that changes are not complete yet. Many changes , which include ports as well as "in port" times have been made.

As far as why some readers might ask about zodiacs being free, there are some smaller cruise lines (expedition type) that do offer free zodiac tours. We were on a 10 day Iceland navigational tour last summer that offered free zodiac tours. It was great! But I get why HAL would charge.

I am very tempted by the in-depth Alaska itinerary. What ports have they been changing? What appeals to me is that these cruises have ports I've never been to. I'd hate to book this and find out they'd changed to all ports I've been to before.

That's it. I might be naive but I thought that maybe having installed the zodiacs on board, putting the Maasdam on the market as a special ship with special "EXC-in-depth" experiences and charging quite high prices MIGHT also be the chance to have at least short zodiac excursions for free. And Hurtigruten expedition ships, Celebrity and several other smaller cruise lines do it that way. But I have to concede that pricing on those ships is at least as high or even much higher than on Maasdam.

That's it. I might be naive but I thought that maybe having installed the zodiacs on board, putting the Maasdam on the market as a special ship with special "EXC-in-depth" experiences and charging quite high prices MIGHT also be the chance to have at least short zodiac excursions for free. And Hurtigruten expedition ships, Celebrity and several other smaller cruise lines do it that way. But I have to concede that pricing on those ships is at least as high or even much higher than on Maasdam.

And aren't those other "expedition" ships smaller? I don't think they carry enough zodiacs to accommodate all of Maasdam's passengers.

I am very tempted by the in-depth Alaska itinerary. What ports have they been changing? What appeals to me is that these cruises have ports I've never been to. I'd hate to book this and find out they'd changed to all ports I've been to before.

All three 21 day cruises have a few different changes. On our 6-18-19 cruise Victoria and Eureka have been dropped. Cruising College Fjord and Port Alberni have been added. We are quite excited to go to a port that hasn’t had a cruise ship since 2013.

Cheers, Denise

So far they have eliminated Victoria, BC, and Eureka,CA , added Port Alberni and changed up the days cruising at sea, etc, docking times in several of the other ports have been shortened up, ie, Juneau being one..changed from 8am-midnight to 2 pm to 11pm. That doesn't give much time for tours. No EXC tours yet for the port of Kake. It will be interesting to see what is offered there. Kodiak docking times have been changed from 8-4 to 11-6. The route has been changed as well. I noticed that none of the longer Alaska itineraries have the little graphic outlined routes, which tells me they are still a work in progress.

The ship we were on that had free zodiac tours only held 200 passengers, and that surely makes a big difference.

So far they have eliminated Victoria, BC, and Eureka,CA , added Port Alberni and changed up the days cruising at sea, etc, docking times in several of the other ports have been shortened up, ie, Juneau being one..changed from 8am-midnight to 2 pm to 11pm. That doesn't give much time for tours. No EXC tours yet for the port of Kake. It will be interesting to see what is offered there. Kodiak docking times have been changed from 8-4 to 11-6. The route has been changed as well. I noticed that none of the longer Alaska itineraries have the little graphic outlined routes, which tells me they are still a work in progress.

The ship we were on that had free zodiac tours only held 200 passengers, and that surely makes a big difference.

Our cruise on May 28, 2019 still has Victoria. Eureka is gone. Added Port Alberni. Will see if any other changes are made!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Excuse me for hijacking the thread but I noticed that some of you are already booked on Maasdam's Alaska cruise. I have been looking greedily at the itinerary but I'm not sure if May might not be a bit too early for Alaska and especially the fjords. ( too much ice to enter??) The following cruises in June etc. are more expensive, and the first cruise starting May 7th seems to have the most interesting itinerary. Any thoughts on that to help a European with only a week's experience in Alaska ( as yet) to decide?

Thank you so much!

Yeah, I think you are being naive (nothing personal) :). If you think HAL is going to give away anything that they can sell at an inflated price...then you have collected too many "valuable" Medallions. We still remember when BINGO was simply a fun activity with very inexpensive cards. We have long wondered when HAL will start charging entree fees for Team Trivia :).

Hank

Yeah, I think you are being naive (nothing personal) :). If you think HAL is going to give away anything that they can sell at an inflated price...then you have collected too many "valuable" Medallions. We still remember when BINGO was simply a fun activity with very inexpensive cards. We have long wondered when HAL will start charging entree fees for Team Trivia :).

Hank

And the Easter bunny brought chocolates onto our lawn - long ago are those happy days when I believed... And the medallions I received for having spent hard-earned money on all those lovely cruises I keep in a drawer well hidden...

But honestly : wouldn't it be nice to get something really "for free" - be it a zodiac ride or a real "sale" where prices have not been pumped up before??

Excuse me for hijacking the thread but I noticed that some of you are already booked on Maasdam's Alaska cruise. I have been looking greedily at the itinerary but I'm not sure if May might not be a bit too early for Alaska and especially the fjords. ( too much ice to enter??) The following cruises in June etc. are more expensive, and the first cruise starting May 7th seems to have the most interesting itinerary. Any thoughts on that to help a European with only a week's experience in Alaska ( as yet) to decide?

Thank you so much!

We debated the same things before signing up for a special Alaska itinerary Mid-May this year on the Zaadam that goes further north too. Enough feedback from others who have been up this way at this time of the year made us decide to do it. Mid-May was our compromise rather than early May, but we go assuming we may not get into some of the ice-blocked inlets, but from what I understand they try to do other scenic areas that can help make up for it.

Our Mid-May roll call has lots of people who are going back third and fourth times and have loved it every time. So something must be working this early in the season.

The wild life may or may, not be out of their winter retreats or migrations, but neither are the summer black flies and the rain that comes later in the autumn season. So almost every season in Alaska has some good and bad points about it. The crush of summer tourists will not be out either, and everything will be fresh and crisp. This is Alaska. What ever she throws at you.

And the Easter bunny brought chocolates onto our lawn - long ago are those happy days when I believed... And the medallions I received for having spent hard-earned money on all those lovely cruises I keep in a drawer well hidden...

But honestly : wouldn't it be nice to get something really "for free" - be it a zodiac ride or a real "sale" where prices have not been pumped up before??

My goodness. When you go the Mariner's Luncheon you get a "free" glass of "valuable" wine. What more could anyone want? But in all seriousness , we have booked 41 days on the Maasdam (EXP cruise) so our curiosity level is high. DW and I admit to being "sucked in" by the thought of something new and we are thinking about that cruise as somewhat of an adventure. Lets face it, the idea of HAL doing something new and revolutionary (especially in the HAL world) is a rare and exciting event.

Hank

As far as the 21 days Alaska cruises in 2019 goes, for one of the cruises, Kake Alaska is listed " Exec Tour Guest Only", maybe this is a Zodiac (excursion) port only?

I wondered about that, but how many people can they take on their zodiacs? Unfortunately, when I look for tours at Kake, nothing is listed. I find it troubling that they've made so many changes fairly soon after announcing the cruises (and that they haven't settled on a map yet). It's like the new website--shouldn't they get their ducks in a row BEFORE they release itineraries?

It could also be a crowd control thing. Panama Canal partial transit has the "exc tours only" designation. The only way off the ship in Lake Gatun is if you book a tour through HAL. (This is Panama's rule, not HAL's)