Chip... chip... industrious RCl

Besides chipping away at the balcony discount as you mentioned, they also deem certain parts of a price an "instant discount" which is not combinable with the balcony discount, so that's another way they deprecate the C&A benefits.

I must say after our exploratory cruise line mission, the last few years, we've never found a balcony discount on the other cruise lines we tried.

But I think RCI will keep it, but chip away at it. Like so many other perks. We still get the Concierge Lounge as Diamond +, but most of the ships have renamed it Suite Loung, which takes only Suite Passengers. Room service is still free for a handful of items. Diamond + Laundry is still available, but only on certain days. We couldn't get the free laundry bags from the stewards except for day 4.

Good read. Royal looking for loyal people willing to spend money onboard (ahead of time) above the cost of the cabin. Giving “most” cruisers what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is that $64K per person or $64K for the room?

They can probably sleep 8 people comfortably, and I counted things like sofa beds, pullmans, etc up to 12. Didn't see how they could sleep the final two though.

The linked article didn’t specify. Just thinking if I had $64,000 to treat my family to a 1 week vacation, we sure wouldn’t spend it on a ship with 5500-6000 other passengers.

The suite does sound really neat, though! I can’t wait to see the first review with pictures.

I must say after our exploratory cruise line mission, the last few years, we've never found a balcony discount on the other cruise lines we tried.

But I think RCI will keep it, but chip away at it. Like so many other perks. We still get the Concierge Lounge as Diamond +, but most of the ships have renamed it Suite Loung, which takes only Suite Passengers. Room service is still free for a handful of items. Diamond + Laundry is still available, but only on certain days. We couldn't get the free laundry bags from the stewards except for day 4.

What ship was the Concierge Lounge renamed the Suite Lounge? I’m not aware of any.

Pinnacle are welcome in Suite Lounge.

The list was made, hopefully, with quite a bit of sense of humour.....

I can understand frustrations but deposits and payment dates do not remove any value from your trip. Really?

Value [as in money] equals for ME, also value as in "enjoyment" -- if I can't afford cruising no more because the higher rate of refundable deposit, no value remains for my trip. RC is reducing flexibility since they lose money when someone changes their mind last minute. 3 months out is not "last minute" - RC has enough time to refill the rooms.

There was a issue with many booking backup or place marker cruises. Holding cabins with not intention of using. This was going on with a lot of people. It was $50 deposit with final payment due later in the cycle. It’s not fair to other cruisers holding cabins they can’t book until after final payment. So they increased deposits so it shouldn’t matter if you plan to use the cabin you booked. NRD was to discourage this practice. We complained and Royal answered.

What ship was the Concierge Lounge renamed the Suite Lounge? I’m not aware of any.

Liberty - Galveston November 2016.

We got an invitation to tour the Suite Lounge, but I figured there was no need since it used to be the Concierge lounge. Also, the Diamond Lounge was packed at cocktail hour, and that Concierge refused to open overflow. Needless to say, he didn't get a tip. Said it was new fleet wide policy.

But on Radiance, the next summer, that Concierge opened the overflow area. He was very helpful, and he earned a nice tip from us.

after the big girls go in for revitalization, the CL is renamed the Suite Lounge so there are a few ships currently in the fleet that are SL instead of CL.

Oasis - Diamond Lounge and Suite Lounge. The DL is where the CL used to be, the Suite Lounge is attached to Coastal Kitchen. Did not see a CL on the deck plans.

Allure - Diamond Lounge where CL used to be. No Suite Lounge per se but on Deck 17 there's the Suite Sun Deck with bar and lounge. No CL.

Harmony - Diamond Club on Deck 4, Suite Lounge on Deck 17 next to Coastal Kitchen. Suite Lounge Sun Deck also up there.

Edited by wolfcathorse

after the big girls go in for revitalization, the CL is renamed the Suite Lounge so there are a few ships currently in the fleet that are SL instead of CL.

but in most cases it's not really a simple "renaming" - the SL, even if in the same space as former CL, is usually renovated. Sometimes the SL is in a different location than former CL.

Liberty - Galveston November 2016.

We got an invitation to tour the Suite Lounge, but I figured there was no need since it used to be the Concierge lounge. Also, the Diamond Lounge was packed at cocktail hour, and that Concierge refused to open overflow. Needless to say, he didn't get a tip. Said it was new fleet wide policy.

But on Radiance, the next summer, that Concierge opened the overflow area. He was very helpful, and he earned a nice tip from us.

So the Liberty didn’t have the CL on Deck 10 like Freedom does? Never been on Liberty.

Two of the big girls, I assume your talking about Oasis Class, had a Viking Crown Lounge where the SL/CK is today. Didn’t replace a CL. Harmony and Symphony have a SL maiden sailing.

All the Freedom class ships originally had the Concierge Lounge on deck 10.

I thought so. Sorta like Fake News. Helps play to their narrative to say it was renamed or kicked out or banned.

The truth is Suite Lounges are being created and many CL are being deleted.

Now, on Radiance Class, I can see renaming Lounges But my guess is there will be no change. If so, Hopefully the DL turns into the SL. The CL’s on these ships have a better view than the CL.

MB told us after they finish up on the big ships, look for a medium size next. This ship will be capable of going into the locations the smaller ships now go.

I thought so. Sorta like Fake News. Helps play to their narrative to say it was renamed or kicked out or banned.

The truth is Suite Lounges are being created and many CL are being deleted.

Now, on Radiance Class, I can see renaming Lounges But my guess is there will be no change. If so, Hopefully the DL turns into the SL. The CL’s on these ships have a better view than the CL.

MB told us after they finish up on the big ships, look for a medium size next. This ship will be capable of going into the locations the smaller ships now go.

They may not need to create Suite Lounges on the smaller ships as there are fewer suite passengers.

They may not need to create Suite Lounges on the smaller ships as there are fewer suite passengers.

Ah, that’s right. But numbers of P and D+ vary by cruise. I’ve not yet heard of an issue with Suite Guests unable to access their Free Drinks in the CL because of high numbers of P’s and D+. We sailed Serenade over Thanksgiving 2016 and although crowded at times, we always found a seat.

I did get the feeling that after the first night, some of those seats were now reserved for the remainder of the cruise. Lol

Adventure of the Seas

I have to differ on this.

The concierge lounge on Adventure was turned into staterooms and ceased to exist.

They created Suite Lounge on Adventure up in Viking Crown taking the place of the former card and game rooms.

I have to differ on this.

The concierge lounge on Adventure was turned into staterooms and ceased to exist.

They created Suite Lounge on Adventure up in Viking Crown taking the place of the former card and game rooms.

But Bob, that doesn’t play well to the narrative that they were kicked out and banned from the CL.

D+ are welcome into any CL that exists

But Bob, that doesn’t play well to the narrative that they were kicked out and banned from the CL.

Well, we just talking semantics anyhow. D+ used to have two lounges, now they have one on ships with a Suite Lounge. Whether they were "kicked out" or the CL was eliminated doesn't really matter, the point is that they lost some space and some dining options (Oasis and Allure).

MB told us after they finish up on the big ships' date=' look for a [b']medium size[/b] next. This ship will be capable of going into the locations the smaller ships now go.

What qualifies as "medium" these days ?

I'd say Millennium or Radiance class:)

After more than twenty cruises with Royal we make our last once this year, and only because they have been booked for a while at a fair rate and we have non-refundable deposits.

We learnt that there are other cruise lines around who have been much more expensive in the past but now offer a better value for the money. We are willing to spend more money but not for a decrease in quality and more and more crowded ships due to the addition of cabins and reduction of public space. At least in Europe there are good alternatives!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

After more than twenty cruises with Royal we make our last once this year, and only because they have been booked for a while at a fair rate and we have non-refundable deposits.

We learnt that there are other cruise lines around who have been much more expensive in the past but now offer a better value for the money. We are willing to spend more money but not for a decrease in quality and more and more crowded ships due to the addition of cabins and reduction of public space. At least in Europe there are good alternatives!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very interesting thread.. seeing more and more of this thought process over the last 2 years on this forum. Underlining part of your post above, many of you know I just sailed on Oceania for the first time and loved it. It will be VERY interesting for me in June when I'm on Brilliance for 12 days... we'll see if I feel back "home" on RCL, or whether I wish I was back on Oceania again instead.