Chip... chip... industrious RCl

We usually cruise what we book, but sometimes not.

We had trouble choosing an Australia itinerary. First, we're talking about three cruises since we wanted to include the South Pacific.

So, we changed some bookings three times. First we learned of the even longer flight since it started in Perth. Then we tried a Circumnavigation, and it was still that awfully long flight.

We finally changed the bookings a third time, and went to Alaska with them.

And settled on a collector's from San Francisco that ended in Auckland.

Still that flight was way too long, so next time, we need to find another way.

Once, Royal Caribbean cancelled a cruise out from under us. But I hear that's standard practice for Royal Caribbean. They cancelled something like 10-12 sailings on the Empress before it started taking passengers.

We had a HAL itinerary that removed two ports of call, so we ended up with some extra OBC. Personally, I'd rather have visited those ports. They would have been new to us.

I will say that Radiance crew was very nice to us, and our concierge host in the Diamond was fantastic. We'd booked two Samba grill that involved outside deck to reach it and it's bathroom. So, we were headed into the Diamond lounge to leave him a note about cancelling it, and bumped into him in the Windjammer. He took care of it right there w/ his cell phone.

Still, the crew was fantastic getting me to the bathroom. We had a hike in the rain on the outer deck, and he held the umbrella. I was limping w/ my bad leg, and hanging onto him so I wouldn't slip and fall. Very embarrassing. Still don't know why they couldn't come up with a more convenient location for their Specialty restaurant.

I have not yet ever cancelled a cruise but life happens....

Me neither, and never booked "just in case"....

The cruise line wants the best of both worlds. They want people to book early and they want us to assume the risk from the moment of booking. I don't blame them.

And, in my case, you can't get insurance unless is 30 days out -- bummer.

I think 30 days out is to due to possible weather changes aka hurricane or storms in the Atlantic.

No, that's the law in Israel for trip insurance for flying abroad.

And Israel is a very volatile country....

Therefore, we book only refundable cruises and hotels. Sometimes, we take the risk with flights...

A small increase in gratuities is still less than overall rate increases.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

The only thing that stops overall rate increases is what people are willing to pay. It has nothing to do with what happens with gratuities. I am, however, sure they will do whatever works to dupe people into wanting to part with as much of their money as possible. If increasing gratuities works and doesn't upset people then rest assured it will happen.

What ship was the Concierge Lounge renamed the Suite Lounge? I’m not aware of any.

Technically speaking, they have never renamed a Concierge Club to a Suite Lounge. Instead, they do one of two things that have the same practical effect:

(1) On Voyager and Freedom Class ships, they build new Suite Lounges in part of the Viking Crown. Then they convert each of the old Concierge Clubs to 4 new inside cabins.

(2) On the two Oasis Class ships that once had Concierge Clubs, they converted parts of the old Viking Crowns to Suite Lounges and the rest of them to Coastal Kitchens so the Viking Crowns disappeared completely on that class of ship. Then they renamed the old Concierge Clubs to Diamond Clubs and converted the old Diamond Clubs to new cabins.

On Vision, Radiance and Quantum Class ships, the Concierge Clubs survive (up to now).

Edited by actuarian

Technically speaking, they have never renamed a Concierge Club to a Suite Lounge. Instead, they do one of two things that have the same practical effect:

(1) On Voyager and Freedom Class ships, they build new Suite Lounges in part of the Viking Crown. Then they convert each of the old Concierge Clubs to 4 new inside cabins.

(2) On the two Oasis Class ships that once had Concierge Clubs, they converted parts of the old Viking Crowns to Suite Lounges and the rest of them to Coastal Kitchens so the Viking Crowns disappeared completely on that class of ship. Then they renamed the old Concierge Clubs to Diamond Clubs and converted the old Diamond Clubs to new cabins.

On Vision, Radiance and Quantum Class ships, the Concierge Clubs survive (up to now).

Don’t dispute that.

Harmony and Symphony, who are Oasis Class never had a CL.

The terminology kicked out of, banned from, is hard to do factually from something that doesn’t exist and it some cases never did.

I understand the trend is to eliminate CL and create a SL in ships where practical. Radiance Class has such few Suites, I doubt they create a SL. They may ask D+ to use the DL if the CL on those ships become too crowded so that Suite Guests have no access, or they may not.

Waiting for September Harmony Presidents Cruise to see what happens in SL/CK due to expected high numbers of Pinnacle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... The terminology kicked out of, banned from, is hard to do factually from something that doesn’t exist and it some cases never did. ...

Those of us who were Diamond at the time they changed the rules of the Concierge lounge probably feel like "kicked out" is an accurate term.

Those of us who were Diamond at the time they changed the rules of the Concierge lounge probably feel like "kicked out" is an accurate term.

Radiance and Vision Class still have a CL and likely no SL will be added.

Harmony and Symphony never had a CL.

Oasis and Allure likely to have DL relocated to deck 4 inside.

Some Diamonds and D+ are NOT Royals target market.

DL, DC, CL, and SL

Same hours, check

Same coffee machine, check

Same food, check

Same drinks, check

Same happy hours, check

If D and up its possible to use the 2 lounges on a ship, check

Same 3 loaded drink coupons each night, check

The SL house beer/wine starting at noon can be enjoyed from first timer up to PC, so D&+ can partake if in a suite

DL, DC, CL, and SL

Same hours, check

Same coffee machine, check

Same food, check

Same drinks, check

Same happy hours, check

If D and up its possible to use the 2 lounges on a ship, check

Same 3 loaded drink coupons each night, check

The SL house beer/wine starting at noon can be enjoyed from first timer up to PC, so D&+ can partake if in a suite

D can't use the CL anymore, we got kicked out.

I see what you're saying, so maybe they should just let all eligible members use either lounge.

D lounge can be very crowded vs CL just because there are more members.

I have found that the concierge in the CL is usually more helpful than the concierge in the DL. ymmv.

I wouldn’t mind spending a few bucks a day more per person for a better experience. But to me that means good service and included offerings, not package drink or meals. A higher overall standard for everyone onboard

Maybe I need to try Celeb again

My parents and sister and her husband just got off a 16 day Australian Celebrity cruise. They were rather unimpressed with Celebrity. Was their first sailing (with Celebrity) and basically stated they don't think they would look at them again for a future cruise. For them Carnival and Princess were better. Even my sister who has MSC as her most disliked cruise line, put Celebrity below MSC. Go figure.

Just got of the Grandeur Yesterday. At the beginning of the trip we had the free internet coupon. Day 4 it vanished and became a 25% off coupon. Thought it was a glitch. Went to the loyalty ambassador and said it has changed permanently but for this cruise if you ask guest services they will give credit if you ask. On day 10 coupon randomly back. Talked to guest services and they said that due to complaints they have reinstated the free day of internet instead of 25% off. Let’s see how long that lasts.

Either way, all to often people on this forum often state that complaining about the loss of benefits gets you nowhere. In some cases it does.

D can't use the CL anymore, we got kicked out.

I see what you're saying, so maybe they should just let all eligible members use either lounge.

D lounge can be very crowded vs CL just because there are more members.

I have found that the concierge in the CL is usually more helpful than the concierge in the DL. ymmv.

A D can use the CL if you book the proper cabin and you know that

A D can use the CL if you book the proper cabin and you know that

I am responding to "If D and up its possible to use the 2 lounges on a ship, check"

Not, "if D and up, sailing in a suite, it is possible to use the 2 lounges on a ship."

Regardless, if conditions are exactly the same in each lounge, as you are suggesting in your post, why not let everyone (who is eligible) use both lounges?

Regardless, if conditions are exactly the same in each lounge, as you are suggesting in your post, why not let everyone (who is eligible) use both lounges?

Why? Part of the reason to create the Suite Lounge. Different atmosphere.

Suite Guest, unless Diamond or above, don’t have access to the DL nor do they have any drinks loaded on their SeaPass.

Sure, Next Cruise Certificates and booking on board offered reduced deposits for many years, but they stopped that last year. For a while, booking on board gave no reduced deposit, then they brought reduced deposits back for booking on board, but only if the booking had a non-refundable deposit.

We Have one NC Certificate left than we booked in November 2013. What are my options with this. With the new website changes it now shows up as a booking when I log on t the New Site. I did save the terms and conditions of it that applied at the time. They better honor it. Maybe with all theses changes I will just hold on to it for a few more years just to be a pain in there Side. Cost us $200

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The point is, it costs X to cruise. You can pay more for the base price and not have all the add ons. Or you can pay less and pick and choose what works for YOU.

So if they bring back all the perks, but the cruise prices goes up, will you be happy?

But there are lines with out all the charges. But they cost more. They are there for you.

We Have one NC Certificate left than we booked in November 2013. What are my options with this. With the new website changes it now shows up as a booking when I log on t the New Site. I did save the terms and conditions of it that applied at the time. They better honor it. Maybe with all theses changes I will just hold on to it for a few more years just to be a pain in there Side. Cost us $200

The will honor the original terms of that certificate.

Near as i can figure, these should be the terms of your certificate:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/NextCruise/13033003a_NextCruise_OpenBooking_Form_US.pdf