Choosing a summer cruise

Good Afternoon,

I am hoping you will have any ideas thoughts etc.. I have been reading the threads and trying to make up my mind but need help.

A little about myself and family that will be going. We are in our 40's, kids are all boys 14,12, and 11. I have been on a few cruises but the last one was over 12 years ago. WE haven't taken a family vacation in at least 10 years due to my job as a pilot I was always gone and then ended up working to make extra money. Now, I have a new job actually can take a couple weeks and actually enjoy my family and have some fun.

I know this is pushing the time limits but we are looking at taking a cruise towards the end of June to the end of July. We want to go to the Caribbean. I live in Dallas but don't mind going out of Florida, honestly just want to relax and have fun.

I am looking for ships that have fun things for the boys as well as my wife and I.

Would you recommend getting 2 rooms that are together? Or is it better to get a suite of some type and enjoy the benefits that come along with some of them.

Are the drink packages worth it for the kids? I wasn't sure of the price if they get a soda now and then?

Are the kids clubs fun ?

Are there any ships that we should avoid as far as RCI ?

We have been looking at the Liberty of the Seas Galveston and also all the ships going out of Florida.

Sorry for all the questions but would sure love any insight or recommendations you may have !!

Thanks

I would favor the two staterooms, just to have the two bathrooms and some privacy. Royal will let the kids stay in their own stateroom as long as it's next to or across the hall from yours.

The room will depend on budget, suites can be expensive. Since this is relatively last minute availability of rooms next to each other will pose a problem.

The bigger cruise ships have more to do for kids, but they are also more expensive so most of your questions will depend on your budget. Set that budget and then decide what features are important.

About $3 for a soda so whether to purchase a package, that will depend on your allowance of soda for your children.

I have yet to do most of the big ships, but I travel with my kids and I still find plenty to do on the mid and small ships.

Decide if you want to go out of Florida or Galveston ( again a budget concern as Houston airports and getting to the port can be very expensive in Texas that a higher air cost to Florida may be warranted as it is only $20 to get to the port there.)

Basically read cruise 101 I for action to prioritize your desires and do e back when you have narrowed it down.

Good Afternoon,

I am hoping you will have any ideas thoughts etc.. I have been reading the threads and trying to make up my mind but need help.

A little about myself and family that will be going. We are in our 40's, kids are all boys 14,12, and 11. I have been on a few cruises but the last one was over 12 years ago. WE haven't taken a family vacation in at least 10 years due to my job as a pilot I was always gone and then ended up working to make extra money. Now, I have a new job actually can take a couple weeks and actually enjoy my family and have some fun.

I know this is pushing the time limits but we are looking at taking a cruise towards the end of June to the end of July. We want to go to the Caribbean. I live in Dallas but don't mind going out of Florida, honestly just want to relax and have fun.

I am looking for ships that have fun things for the boys as well as my wife and I.

Would you recommend getting 2 rooms that are together? Or is it better to get a suite of some type and enjoy the benefits that come along with some of them.

Are the drink packages worth it for the kids? I wasn't sure of the price if they get a soda now and then?

Are the kids clubs fun ?

Are there any ships that we should avoid as far as RCI ?

We have been looking at the Liberty of the Seas Galveston and also all the ships going out of Florida.

Sorry for all the questions but would sure love any insight or recommendations you may have !!

Thanks

Agree with Bob, older kids getting 2 cabins with 2 baths a good idea. Maybe even a Balcony for you and an inside across the hall for the kids. Pop is about $4 a can now, so up to you. 2 of my kids would drink 3 a day so the Soda pop cup/package pays for itself, the other kid drinks only water... Do research as some ships have lots things for teens, older/smaller ones not so much...

The room will depend on budget, suites can be expensive. Since this is relatively last minute availability of rooms next to each other will pose a problem.

This will be an issue -you might still find rooms next to each other , but tough to find connecting cabins on some sailings this close in (especially since one has to hold 3) - some are already past final payment. I looked at the July 1 Liberty sailing (just inside final payment) - a fair number of cabins left. Also, prices are high ($1000pp), though the itinerary with the Mexican ports seems slight;y cheaper. You might luck into a Kids sail free promo to lower the cost a bit but maybe not this close in.

The suite "perks" would only really benefit the adults.....so I would go with 2 connecting cabins...or adjacent, if you don't mind that. That way, parents get their privacy...and the kid's mess is contained with the kids!

A can of soda will run in the $3 range...that yields 2 glasses over ice. Kids LOVE the clubs....so take them the 1st night...that's when EVERYONE is new...and friends are made!

I would be looking at Freedom class or higher, as far as ships and activities go.....the smaller ships do have plenty to do, but not as much as the larger ships. I love the Voyager and Freedom class the best....not too big...not too small...just right!

Royal’s kids club is called Adventure Ocean and only takes kids up to 11 so your 2 older ones wouldn’t participate. There is a teen club and some programming that they could do.

Don’t know what your budget is but Oasis out of Port Canaveral (fly to Orlando or Griswold it in the family roadster) on July 29 appears to have a fair amount of room. Good luck.

I would definitely look at Liberty out of Galveston first, it’s a big ship and has the water slides etc. Two cabins is definitely a better choice too, if you can find two that are next to each other. There is a teen program for 12 and over but it isn’t structured like they are for the younger kids.

If you can’t find two rooms next to or across from the other, then you can book one adult in each room. But with your kids ages, I would want the cabins in close proximity.

If you can swing it, I recommend the Oasis class. There is so much to do, see and eat. After 50+ cruises, Oasis did revive my love of cruising. But Liberty would be very convenient and it has plenty of things for the kids to do.

Are there other ships going out of Galveston that might interest you?

You might get a little on board credit from them, but then they become your travel agent and you will have to go through them any time you need to make any changes, so pick wisely if you’re going to do that. They also aren’t actually allowed to discount the prices by much either, so if you see a great deal, there’s a chance it’s part of a group booking which may come with extra restrictions.

If you are a member at one of the two big box wholesale stores, they sometimes have these group deals, called Buyers Choice or similar. You can get a better price and nice perks on those sailings.

The room will depend on budget, suites can be expensive. . .

Decide if you want to go out of Florida or Galveston ( again a budget concern as Houston airports and getting to the port can be very expensive in Texas that a higher air cost to Florida may be warranted as it is only $20 to get to the port there.)

How much will the taxi from Galeston to the Pier cost?

Freedom class was definitely large enough for our family. We still haven't made it to the Oasis class. We are hoping the prices will come down at some point (I know that really isn't likely, but we can keep hoping). Freedom class still had the rock wall, arcade, mini golf, basketball court, surfing, ice skating, theater, etc.

If you do the classic soda for the boys most of the ships use the freestyle machines. So, the boys can get more than sodas. They can get lemonade, fruit punch, powerade, water, etc.

We did adjoining balconies on our last cruise and I completely agree with the others- a second bathroom was wonderful. We booked one excursion through the cruise line since it was a tender port and we didn't want to take any chances with getting off or on in time. The other excursions we booked independently.

If you do the classic soda for the boys most of the ships use the freestyle machines. So, the boys can get more than sodas. They can get lemonade, fruit punch, powerade, water, etc.

We did adjoining balconies on our last cruise and I completely agree with the others- a second bathroom was wonderful. .

If you go out of Galveston, Liberty doesn't have Freestyle machines, so you're limited to a few soda choices. However, we've always purchased a drink package for our boys because if they put a drink down on a table while doing something, I'd rather they just get another one and not worry if mom's going to have a cow because they spent too much on drinks.

And yes, the extra bathroom is needed.

I know this is counter to what you were asking for, but last summer we took an inside passage tour of Alaska. It wasn't an RCCL ship, but the shore activities would be the same for regardless of the ship you were on. We are going back again.

Not sure if you are loyal to Royal or open to other cruise lines, but I think you should also consider the Carnival Breeze, which is currently sailing out of Galveston.

I know it's one of RC's smaller ships and can't compare with the megaships, but my kids found Adventure of the Seas lacking in this for kids/teens to do and said the teen club was nowhere near as good as Carnival's and was very disorganized/haphazard. We've never utilized the Adventure Ocean club for younger kids so I can't speak to that. Also, Carnival Breeze, Dream and Magic all have a pretty decent waterpark that my kids found really fun.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some ultra spacious ocean view balconies available on Allure on 8th July - expensive though.

Liberty has one ultra spacious ocean view on 1st July which is better value.

You have to phone to book for 5 and two cabins can be cheaper than one.

Edited by Nettee

Thanks !! Been researching and found a cruise leaving in July, Oasis of the Seas. Family and myself are very excited.

Was going to book it online through Costco but then decided to call first in case they had something better. Glad I called, they found some other promotion and saved me a little or 700.

Thanks to everyone with all the ideas. Now we have to wait 90 days until we leave !!!