Opinions please on quality of food & entertainment on Conquest

LetsTango

I love cruising on Carnival and usually rave about the food and shows. Just got off Conquest and was a bit surprised and disappointed in both. While there was a nice selection of foods at the buffet, it seemed very bland and tastless. Of course the MDR served quality, delicious foods, and Guys burgers rocked, the buffet didn't come through for a quick bite.

The shows were so so.

We've been on several carnival cruises and wasn't expecting mediocre cruising this time. Not giving up on Carnival, 3 more

cruises arranged. Just wanted to see if it was just me or did anyone else notice a decline?

Sent from my VK815 using Forums mobile app

Also just off the Conquest, only breakfast at the buffet. They have seemed to switch to real scrambled eggs, no powdered crap. The MDR was hit or miss. The Chef's Table was spectacular. We ate 3 times in the Steakhouse, Ruth's Chris or Morton's quality apps and soups all were excellent. Personally do not like pressed, well done, crumbly burgers with no flavor. I had a 1/2 lb ground chuck/brisket burger, MR at our Miami Hotel. Pizza was pretty good, but only one guy making and baking. He tried hard but the lines were sometimes long. The new deli is very disorganized and the pre made sandwiches get a fail. They should not be forcing condiments on people. Mustard does not belong on Turkey, tomato puree does not belong on Pastrami. The new Cuban Sandwich was very good, but removing the panini presses was a bad idea. The new meatball sandwich was good, but served with Feta, seriously? I guy in front of me asked for no cheese he said no and the guy walked away. I insisted as I am lactose intolerant and he made me one. Mexican was good too.

We've been on the Conquest twice, but not in a long time. I think our second time on her they had just installed Blue iguana and Guy's Burger Bar. Interestingly, I was not that impressed with the burger bar. However, that ship was our first experiences with Chef's Table. That was the two best chef's table experiences we have ever had. We ll worth the price. No problems with the live entertainment, but then we weren't religious about catching all the shows. They had a roving magician at lunch, which we enjoyed a lot. I was most disappointed with were the shore presentations: I naively expected those to be about what local items to look for on shore, and not a big sales pitch for the same crap you can buy cheaper back home. We did run around trying to get the charms, though. Now, we don't bother. Did I like Conquest? Yes. I was on her twice. Was it the perfect ship? No. But then, what would happen if I found the perfect ship? Would I stop cruising? Not sure that I have that goal!

Also just off the Conquest, only breakfast at the buffet. They have seemed to switch to real scrambled eggs, no powdered crap. The MDR was hit or miss. The Chef's Table was spectacular. We ate 3 times in the Steakhouse, Ruth's Chris or Morton's quality apps and soups all were excellent. Personally do not like pressed, well done, crumbly burgers with no flavor. I had a 1/2 lb ground chuck/brisket burger, MR at our Miami Hotel. Pizza was pretty good, but only one guy making and baking. He tried hard but the lines were sometimes long. The new deli is very disorganized and the pre made sandwiches get a fail. They should not be forcing condiments on people. Mustard does not belong on Turkey, tomato puree does not belong on Pastrami. The new Cuban Sandwich was very good, but removing the panini presses was a bad idea. The new meatball sandwich was good, but served with Feta, seriously? I guy in front of me asked for no cheese he said no and the guy walked away. I insisted as I am lactose intolerant and he made me one. Mexican was good too.

Actually,now that you reminded me, the scrambled eggs were delicious and my meatball sandwich was served with mozerella cheese and was very good and Italian tasting. Not sure I'd have liked it with feta! Thank you for your feedback!

My opinion will show you how everyone's tastebuds are quite different!

We enjoyed all the food on the Conquest at the buffet and MDR.

I thought that Guys served the worst tasteless/dry/flat burgers I have ever had!

The only thing good about them were the toppings you could add.

I like my burgers to be juicy and thick and Guy's were the opposite!!

We were on the Conquest right before Easter. The deli sandwiches were good. My meatball did not have feta?? I do agree about the condiments. You should just put your own "sauce on them". But overall they were good quality.

I have never liked the food at buffet. I avoid them. I think Carnival has enough other options that make up for this. This is actually what we like about Carnival. All of the different food options for lunch -- guys, burritos, pizza,deli tandori (on other ships) etc.

Our dinners have always been good. Steakhouse always very good. Desserts in MDR are decent. Lido desserts not very good at all.

I haven't enjoyed many of the shows on Carnival (even in the past) But I find there are plenty of other things to do so it has never bothered me.

Also just off the Conquest, only breakfast at the buffet. They have seemed to switch to real scrambled eggs, no powdered crap.

As a restaurateur I'm surprised you think the eggs were powdered. This quote is from member chengkpk75 whose postings here on the board I believe you may be familiar with.

From member chengkp75:

" I don't think even the US Army uses powdered eggs anymore. What the ships use is "pasteurized egg product". This is not egg beaters, or an egg white only product. This is real eggs that have been taken from the shells at a factory, scrambled, and pasteurized, and then put into gallon jugs as liquidegg product. They are real, whole eggs, just pasteurized for your safety. They do not contain thickeners or preservatives. This saves on waste from the shells, and saves time in not shelling eggs.

Some ships will have pasteurized shelled eggs (don't ask me how they do that) for use as fried eggs, but these tend to be expensive, so some will use non-pasteurized shelled eggs, and put the warning on the menu about eating undercooked eggs, which is the alternative that USPH allows. "

This kind of topic is a matter of opinion. Sailed on Glory and Vista. We ate once in MDR on Glory and never did on Vista. We loved the buffet: many various choices that can please everyone. I don’t like shrimp, I don’t like lobster. But I can’t judge people who can’t wait to eat that and say quality is not good...

We were on Conquest a little less than a month ago. My responses to the OP's questions:

MDR Food - Good. Not great but mostly pretty good. The southern fried chicken is to be avoided but otherwise, the dishes there were pretty tasty. Didn't much care for the dessert options (I ordered ice cream two nights because nothing else was appealing) but then I probably don't need the extra calories anyway.

Buffet Food - Again, good. The selection did not change much day to day which I suppose is to be expected but I found it to be appropriately served (cold stuff not room temp, hot/warm stuff not cold, etc.) and tasted fine. The staff were always helpful and friendly.

Guy's - Did not try it but our SIL loved it and ate there every day at lunch when they were on the boat. I did have the Blue Iguana Cantina food (breakfast burritos, soft tacos) several times and really liked it. Although it isn't listed on the menu, if you want shrimp tacos, ask for it and they will oblige. The salsas/hot sauces are pretty good (the "rojo" was plenty spicey for me and I grew up in Arizona!). Do not miss it if you can help it.

Main Theater Shows - As someone mentioned above, one night was the Hasbro game thing and it was entertaining but not what we expect as the main evening entertainment. The last night was the Lip Sync Battle finale which we enjoyed given it was guests doing the performing. Otherwise, the live shows were pretty good with the staff performers but I do miss the live bands for those shows.

Edit: Forgot to mention but while we couldn't ever get in due to the venue being SRO, some in our group said the comedy shows were really quite good. Recommend arriving early if you want a seat.

Edited by joepeka

Perhaps we were on the same sailing that returned Sunday.

The entertainment was definitely lacking. I saw 2 shows, Flick and the 80's one. The girls had much stronger voices (IMO) and the overall shows themselves were "meh" in regards to quality. Michael in the piano bar was fantastic. The comedians were pretty good. I can't remember her name but there was a singer/guitar player who took a 15 (aka 30min) breaks often and seemed very unhappy with her job. She had a decent voice when she was there to sing. The trio of electric string players were amazing.

Food was ok. We found their steaks and over all sit down dining (breakfast and dinner) to be better than those on a recent Royal Caribbean cruise. The lido buffet was often an odd and not very varied assortment that often lacked seasoning. I was a bit frustrated with the 2 deep serving bins with little to no help from the workers side. Baked potatoes in the back are not easily grabbed with those tongs provided and it was rare to get someones attention to assist. Guys burgers were awesome and I personally loved having the potato stix on the topping bar as that provided a salty chip component. Husband enjoyed the burrito bar.

We were on the Conquest right before Easter. The deli sandwiches were good. My meatball did not have feta?? I do agree about the condiments. You should just put your own "sauce on them". But overall they were good quality.

I have never liked the food at buffet. I avoid them. I think Carnival has enough other options that make up for this. This is actually what we like about Carnival. All of the different food options for lunch -- guys, burritos, pizza,deli tandori (on other ships) etc.

Our dinners have always been good. Steakhouse always very good. Desserts in MDR are decent. Lido desserts not very good at all.

I haven't enjoyed many of the shows on Carnival (even in the past) But I find there are plenty of other things to do so it has never bothered me.

I'm sure someone can post a new deli menu, definitely clumps of Feta, FBW? I'm pretty sure they do not even carry Mozz in the deli and I doubt he went to the MDR to get you Mozz.

Perhaps we were on the same sailing that returned Sunday.

The entertainment was definitely lacking. I saw 2 shows, Flick and the 80's one. The girls had much stronger voices (IMO) and the overall shows themselves were "meh" in regards to quality. Michael in the piano bar was fantastic. The comedians were pretty good. I can't remember her name but there was a singer/guitar player who took a 15 (aka 30min) breaks often and seemed very unhappy with her job. She had a decent voice when she was there to sing. The trio of electric string players were amazing.

Food was ok. We found their steaks and over all sit down dining (breakfast and dinner) to be better than those on a recent Royal Caribbean cruise. The lido buffet was often an odd and not very varied assortment that often lacked seasoning. I was a bit frustrated with the 2 deep serving bins with little to no help from the workers side. Baked potatoes in the back are not easily grabbed with those tongs provided and it was rare to get someones attention to assist. Guys burgers were awesome and I personally loved having the potato stix on the topping bar as that provided a salty chip component. Husband enjoyed the burrito bar.

Totally forgot about that string trio that performed in the Artists' Lobby - "Allure Strings" was their name and they really were outstanding.

ricotta is correct, yes chunky like Feta, but definitely not mozzarella which it should be

I remember the meatball described with ricotta but mine was deliciously stringy when I bit into it making me think it was mozarella. With all these different cheese descriptions, maybe they were substituting the cheeses?

Allure Strings was very popular on our cruise. We saw them a couple of times. If you see them in your fun times on a cruise check them out. They are heading to the breeze in a few months.

Here is the menu we had on the deli for the conquest. It says the meatball has ricotta and parmesan cream on it.

zv7ho4.jpg[/img]

And here is my sandwich. It definitely had mozzarella melted on it. I was pleasantly surprised given the description.

14aynwy.jpg[/img]

Only thing I didn't like was the entire cloves of garlic that were on it.

We were on the Conquest with you.

Food

• I had the best buffet lunch I've had in years. Usually it is the same ole thing but they had some interesting new prepared salads which were great.
  • I also had the falafel wrap at the deli which was very delicious. Guy's burgers were great, as usual.
  • Also had the "hash browns" in my breakfast burrito and that made it way better than previously.

Entertainment

• Comedian Merle Hobbs was hilarious. I've seen him previously but he changed it up a bit and was so funny that I went back to the 18+ show. Other 2 comedians were meh.
  • I thought the 80's show was fun. I missed the Flix show.
  • It was disappointing that towards the end of this 8-day cruise the last 2 days there wasn't much to do besides Hasbro or some such thing like trivia.

Ports

• Curacao - Stood in the parking lot and smelled diesel fuel x 30 minutes while waiting for Irie Tours excursion. After that, sat on an open air bus for another 20 minutes smelling more diesel fuel. I finally gave up & got off the bus & just went back to the ship. Husband & son went, but wished they hadn't.
  • Aruba - Took a Carnival excursion to a beach that did not allow the purchase of lounge chairs from ANYONE. :mad:Paid for our own taxi back to the ship after 30 minutes.

It was a decent cruise for the most part.

We had ATD waiter "Sugar". He was a character. Very quick and full of fun.

I get what you are saying about it being so-so. I have 2 more cruises as well. Maybe we are outgrowing Carnival.

Did Chef's Table have the new menu? Also do you remember which night it was?

We were on the Conquest with you.

Food

• I had the best buffet lunch I've had in years. Usually it is the same ole thing but they had some interesting new prepared salads which were great.
  • I also had the falafel wrap at the deli which was very delicious. Guy's burgers were great, as usual.
  • Also had the "hash browns" in my breakfast burrito and that made it way better than previously.

Entertainment

• Comedian Merle Hobbs was hilarious. I've seen him previously but he changed it up a bit and was so funny that I went back to the 18+ show. Other 2 comedians were meh.
  • I thought the 80's show was fun. I missed the Flix show.
  • It was disappointing that towards the end of this 8-day cruise the last 2 days there wasn't much to do besides Hasbro or some such thing like trivia.

Ports

• Curacao - Stood in the parking lot and smelled diesel fuel x 30 minutes while waiting for Irie Tours excursion. After that, sat on an open air bus for another 20 minutes smelling more diesel fuel. I finally gave up & got off the bus & just went back to the ship. Husband & son went, but wished they hadn't.
  • Aruba - Took a Carnival excursion to a beach that did not allow the purchase of lounge chairs from ANYONE. :mad:Paid for our own taxi back to the ship after 30 minutes.

It was a decent cruise for the most part.

We had ATD waiter "Sugar". He was a character. Very quick and full of fun.

I get what you are saying about it being so-so. I have 2 more cruises as well. Maybe we are outgrowing Carnival.

In Curacao we took a two hour tour with Ben Tours,it was fabulous! Air conditioned bus, free wifi, free beer and water and our driver was a hoot! When we got to Aruba, We thought we'd do something similar except on an open air bus. Nope. Got on board the Aruba tour bus,waited and waited, watching the driver clearly not leaving the dock without a full bus. Finally, we threw our hands up, got off the 1/2 full bus and caught a taxi to Eagle Beach where we rented chairs and an umbrella and grabbed a taxi back to the ship when WE were ready to go. Funny thing was, we were relaxing on the ship later and looked over hours later and saw those open air buses returning to the ship with 10 minutes to spare! No thanks; that would've stressed us out!

In Curacao we took a two hour tour with Ben Tours,it was fabulous! Air conditioned bus, free wifi, free beer and water and our driver was a hoot! When we got to Aruba, We thought we'd do something similar except on an open air bus. Nope. Got on board the Aruba tour bus,waited and waited, watching the driver clearly not leaving the dock without a full bus. Finally, we threw our hands up, got off the 1/2 full bus and caught a taxi to Eagle Beach where we rented chairs and an umbrella and grabbed a taxi back to the ship when WE were ready to go. Funny thing was, we were relaxing on the ship later and looked over hours later and saw those open air buses returning to the ship with 10 minutes to spare! No thanks; that would've stressed us out!

Rumor was that we were supposed to go to Eagle Beach in Aruba but our bus driver took us to some other beach.

I've never been to Aruba or Curacao, so visiting those ports was the WHOLE point of this cruise. I was pretty disappointed. This was a very expensive cruise considering we flew my family to FLL.

Hopefully we can get back some day. I'll be sure that we look up your ideas when we do.