No Family entertainment on the Bliss?

Donna_In_India

I’m sad about Cirque, I really wanted to see that. Jersey Boys looks family friendly but I didn’t look closely. My kids are little and not exactly the sedentary type so shows are out regardless of the rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There will be a lot of family entertainment, just not the main theater show. Cirque is not done because of declining popularity. It has been replaced with live country music in Q's.

My thoughts exactly. We can only see so many shows like Cirrque. In fact regardless of the ship, we never bother anymore seeing them. I have never been on any cruise where there were not, at least one show kids could enjoy. I doubt any ship has several shows designed for families. People who do not travel with their family could ask the same thing only visa versa: why are there so many Main showroom entertainment that is kid friendly and not geared to adults?

I'm guess supply and demand. The ratio of guests with family (children) is usually very small compared to the number of older guests or couples without children along. Only so many shows or entertainers can be provided on a cruise ship. Going to focus on where the majority of the guests interests are.....I guess.

Jersey Boys ... tunes before I was born, let alone my kids. Agreed with OP: ugh

My children loved the jersey boys, I believe we saw them on the pearl several years ago, my son who would have been 10 at the time went twice.

Jersey Boys ... tunes before I was born, let alone my kids. Agreed with OP: ugh

Omg my kids were all born after the music of the 50's 60's 70's and 80's....

But wouldn't miss ...

Jersey boys

Million dollar quartet

Mamma Mia

Jesus Christ superstar

Motown

Rock of ages

Rain

They have seen them all on broadway and if on the ship have seen them there too

I take great pride in knowing I've raised "music historians" so much so that they even know some of the "backstories" and pick up on the "double meaning" they slip into these shows....

Btw they also loved the Baroque concerts and opening night of Tosca at the Baths of Caracalla last summer in Rome

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Omg my kids were all born after the music of the 50's 60's 70's and 80's....

But wouldn't miss ...

Jersey boys

Million dollar quartet

Mamma Mia

Jesus Christ superstar

Motown

Rock of ages

Rain

They have seen them all on broadway and if on the ship have seen them there too

I take great pride in knowing I've raised "music historians" so much so that they even know some of the "backstories" and pick up on the "double meaning" they slip into these shows....

Btw they also loved the Baroque concerts and opening night of Tosca at the Baths of Caracalla last summer in Rome

I agree. Three of my kids were very involved in musical theater, starting very young. Community theater and high school, before every audition we’d get a dvd of the show. My youngest were dragged to every performance.

I agree. Three of my kids were very involved in musical theater, starting very young. Community theater and high school, before every audition we’d get a dvd of the show. My youngest were dragged to every performance.

I'm still driving my "baby" to hs every morning and we try to do musical CD themes as appropriate

E.g.

John Lennon in early December

Rod Stewart in late September

Jc superstar at Easter

Country music in spring

Bob Marley before a cruise

You get the idea. Lol

I forgot to mention in my pp that Beautiful and Carole King is their all time fav. We saw it 2x on broadway. They ordered every one of her CDs ( I only had her on cassette lol) from Amazon afterward (I'm old school and hate iPod ..give me a cd any day )

The other fun thing we do is my 17 yo is in the marching band and symphony band and she loves to listen to music to hear when each new instrument enters

Our latest pastime when stuck in traffic on I95 has been to analyze "ballad" songs

Midnight train to Georgia is great for that pastime among many other well known songs...the night the lights went out in Georgia...ode to Billy Joe...sympathy for the devil is our fav...great history lesson there..just like there is in Viva La Vida and American Pie ( grew up in same town as Donny and dh went to college with him so we understand exactly what and where he is talking about) btw the Levee is a nick name for a local bar and the Sacred Store is a music and record shop

And we ALWAYS go to one particular high school in our area that does outstanding plays and has launched Jon Voight and Alan Alda and always seems to get the first crack at producing stuff. Alan Mencken actually came to the Hunchback production they did and there were rumors that Elton was planning to come to their Billy Elliot production as it was the first hs to get the rights to it. Ragtime this year and can't wait.

Music is a MUST for kids....makes them great mathematicians too.

I do admit though that my teens and young adult kids are usually outnumbered by vast numbers of baby boomers at

Paul McCartney and Rod Stewart and billy Joel concerts...

I was actually shocked they knew the words to Maybe I'm Amazed and that Paul wrote it for Linda. I didn't know that lol

Edited by maggie cruises

I have often wondered the same question the OP has presented. Not every family has a musical background or has attended true Broadway shows. I suppose as others have said it can come down to supply and demand with the majority of guests being older. They show what they feel the guests want to see.

My only issue is that NCL promotes itself as a family cruise line. My son is a teenager, however, if he was a younger child I don't think I would select NCL at this time. Most likely I would, as we did in the past, book a more family oriented line such as Disney or even Royal.

No one cruise line is going to please everyone, so they have to try to play to their demographic. While lots of families sail on NCL, it's not the sole driving force to their business. Seeing the OP's avatar and their cruising history, I'm guessing they are comparing to Disney where ALL of the shows are family friendly (to a fault IMHO). Even the so called "adult" shows have nothing remotely inappropriate in them.

Honestly, one of the things we enjoyed about NCL when we tried it after several Disney cruises, was that the entrainment wasn't primarily geared towards children. On a ship the size of the Bliss, I'm sure there will be plenty of shows that children would enjoy - variety acts and such. While not all kids may appreciate the musicals, my son sure would have at that age. He has always loved that stuff, and as a twenty year old thinks pretty much any music that was not produced prior to the the 70's is total crap. :')

I'm still driving my "baby" to hs every morning and we try to do musical CD themes as appropriate

E.g.

Jc superstar at Easter

Country music in spring

You get the idea. Lol

I forgot to mention in my pp that Beautiful and Carole King is their all time fav. We saw it 2x on broadway. They ordered every one of her CDs ( I only had her on cassette lol) from Amazon afterward (I'm old school and hate iPod ..give me a cd any day )

The other fun thing we do is my 17 yo is in the marching band and symphony band and she loves to listen to music to hear when each new instrument enters

Our latest pastime when stuck in traffic on I95 has been to analyze "ballad" songs

Midnight train to Georgia is great for that pastime among many other well known songs...the night the lights went out in Georgia...ode to Billy Joe...sympathy for the devil is our fav...great history lesson there..just like there is in Viva La Vida and American Pie ( grew up in same town as Donny and dh went to college with him so we understand exactly what and where he is talking about) btw the Levee is a nick name for a local bar and the Sacred Store is a music and record shop

And we ALWAYS go to one particular high school in our area that does outstanding plays and has launched Jon Voight and Alan Alda and always seems to get the first crack at producing stuff. Alan Mencken actually came to the Hunchback production they did and there were rumors that Elton was planning to come to their Billy Elliot production as it was the first hs to get the rights to it. Ragtime this year and can't wait.

I do admit though that my teens and young adult kids are usually outnumbered by vast numbers of baby boomers at

I was actually shocked they knew the words to Maybe I'm Amazed and that Paul wrote it for Linda. I didn't know that lol

Dd17 took DH to a Paul McCartney concert for his birthday, the other 4 kids wanted to go, too, but I wasn5 paying for 6 tickets. Music and theater are timeless, heck My Fair Lady is coming to Lincoln Center.

I have often wondered the same question the OP has presented. Not every family has a musical background or has attended true Broadway shows. I suppose as others have said it can come down to supply and demand with the majority of guests being older. They show what they feel the guests want to see.

My only issue is that NCL promotes itself as a family cruise line. My son is a teenager, however, if he was a younger child I don't think I would select NCL at this time. Most likely I would, as we did in the past, book a more family oriented line such as Disney or even Royal.

Royal's main shows are Broadway or Broadway style too. Not sure how Cats is more kid friendly...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Do you realize that ncl has ropes course rock wall trampoline water slides? My 20 somethings and 17 yo were thrilled and that's primarily the reason we cruised on the getaway this past Easter. Not to mention the great western Carib ports. Any teen that thinks Roatan is boring lol needs to be spoken to. Snorkeling at tabyana beach and what I saw saw at the reef drop off is right up there with my 1st sighting of the Giza pyramids. That reef could easily be a wonder of the world to me and I've been to many many places in this world Tahiti to Moscow. Tangier to Istanbul and a few places in between

E.g.

Jc superstar at Easter

Country music in spring

You get the idea. Lol

Oh, I thought those were all modern day entertainers. :')

No one cruise line is going to please everyone, so they have to try to play to their demographic. While lots of families sail on NCL, it's not the sole driving force to their business. Seeing the OP's avatar and their cruising history, I'm guessing they are comparing to Disney where ALL of the shows are family friendly (to a fault IMHO). Even the so called "adult" shows have nothing remotely inappropriate in them.

Honestly, one of the things we enjoyed about NCL when we tried it after several Disney cruises, was that the entrainment wasn't primarily geared towards children. On a ship the size of the Bliss, I'm sure there will be plenty of shows that children would enjoy - variety acts and such. While not all kids may appreciate the musicals, my son sure would have at that age. He has always loved that stuff, and as a twenty year old thinks pretty much any music that was not produced prior to the the 70's is total crap. :')

Omg my kids totally get this and understand the great music stopped being produced after the early 80's. Very early 80's that is. Lol

It is a family cruise line, probably as demographically balanced as any line and more than some, but the idea of having more family shows is a bit over the top. There are always at least one juggler or magician show for starters. Plus there are a lot of other activities for kids. Younger kids would have trouble sitting through most shows period and teens could easily find a few shows each sailing they can enjoy. I might ask the opposite: why are so many shows geared to the middle aged cruiser and not more shows that seniors enjoy? I really don't ask cause I know, if that is so important I can always go on HAL.

Maggie, my kids who are now middle aged and they would probably agree with you on music. Even my granddaughters in their 30s are not in love with the music of the last 30 years except for a handful of entertainers.

Dd17 took DH to a Paul McCartney concert for his birthday, the other 4 kids wanted to go, too, but I wasn5 paying for 6 tickets. Music and theater are timeless, heck My Fair Lady is coming to Lincoln Center.

I’m not much for modern acts but I do love the classics. A cruise show with numbers from My Fair Lady, Hello Dolly, Phantom of the Opera, Etc would be amazing.

My thoughts exactly. We can only see so many shows like Cirrque. In fact regardless of the ship, we never bother anymore seeing them. I have never been on any cruise where there were not, at least one show kids could enjoy. I doubt any ship has several shows designed for families. People who do not travel with their family could ask the same thing only visa versa: why are there so many Main showroom entertainment that is kid friendly and not geared to adults?

One show out of 7 nights? NCL is so boring with kids at night. We happen to enjoy all types of shows. RCI had at least 5 nights of shows that were family friendly as well as plenty of entertainment for adults. And of course Disney has shows every night.