An interesting Michael Bayley interview

Apologies if this has already been posted.

I found it an interesting interview with the man himself. I particularly liked the section on pre cruise purchases and the psychology behind it to get us to spend more once on board.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/royal-caribbean-ceo-explains-business-strategy-interview-2018-4

What is the percentage of chance that Michael Bayley or one of his associates will respond to an email I sent regarding a recent decline in services we have been noticing?

I think the chance is very small that you get any response. I have felt for years that they really don't care if you come back for another cruise. Their focus is entirely on new customers. Those people aren't able to identify a decline in service because they have no historical point of reference. In my opinion, their feeling is that if a customer had cruised often over the years, the "perks" will help keep them coming back unless another line is A LOT cheaper. And, in all honestly, I think a lot of frequent cruisers want to rise to the upper levels of the loyalty programs because it make them feel like they are somebody. So unless a crew members assaults them or a family member they will remain loyal.

Basically, returning customers are gravy to them.

The more times you cruise with them, the less money they make from you. As you get more free perks, you spend less on things like drinks and internet. As you become more comfortable with the logistics in the ports, you take less ship-sponsored excursions. And you’re doing it while taking up a cabin that they could be using to sucker in a new customer who doesn’t know how to maximize their value and is making them a fortune.

I So unless a crew members assaults them or a family member they will remain loyal.

It seems to me that many on here claim to swear off RCI for issues much more minor than an assault.

Edited by Biker19

The more times you cruise with them, the less money they make from you. As you get more free perks, you spend less on things like drinks and internet. As you become more comfortable with the logistics in the ports, you take less ship-sponsored excursions. And you’re doing it while taking up a cabin that they could be using to sucker in a new customer who doesn’t know how to maximize their value and is making them a fortune.

I thought I was the same then the point he makes in the article about pre cruise purchases struck a chord.

How many new and seasoned cruisers book drinks packages and speciality dining and then don’t factor that in to the money they are also spending when actually on board.

Very interesting that he says pre cruise purchases on average are matched by a 50% spend on board.

That’s probably me and I wouldn’t physically spend the combined amount on board as I’d be watching the bill rising.

Collectively we are all spending more from what MB is saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would disagree. We've been cruising with Royal for over 20 years. We book suites, buy the drink package, eat in specialty restaurants, and do an occasional excursion. Those options either weren't available years ago or were out of our budget. We can't be the only ones. I'm not sure how a new cruiser would be 'suckered' into anything. It's a pretty poor generalization.

Here is something that goes against MB saying they provide great things that make one want to buy it onboard

We almost always book the Galley Lunch Brunch. In the past, it had been a Short Kitchen tour of about 20-30 minutes. In the past, they had an awesome buffet at the end and used to make eggs to order, cut roast beef for you, sushi, all kinds of great stuff.

The cost of this tour is $35pp. We were sat down in a private area on deck 4 of MDR. Guess what, we got the lunch menu to order from. No buffet. We would have enjoyed the free Tuti lunch on deck 3 more.

This is on Harmony. The waiters acted like it has always been this way on Harmony. Nothing special enough to do it again, that’s for sure.

I would disagree. We've been cruising with Royal for over 20 years. We book suites, buy the drink package, eat in specialty restaurants, and do an occasional excursion. Those options either weren't available years ago or were out of our budget. We can't be the only ones. I'm not sure how a new cruiser would be 'suckered' into anything. It's a pretty poor generalization.

But 20 years ago cruising was more expensive in relation to how much people earned than it is today. I’m talking about people who are new to cruising today, who assume they have to get all the packages, assume they have to book all their excursions through RC etc.

Maybe we will meet in the SL one day. I think we are Royals Target cruisers.

But 20 years ago cruising was more expensive in relation to how much people earned than it is today. I’m talking about people who are new to cruising today, who assume they have to get all the packages, assume they have to book all their excursions through RC etc.

Isn’t that good for business?

Apples and oranges argument. You said Royal would rather have the newbie because they can sucker them into spending more money. I'm telling you there are cruisers like me that spend way more money than newbies and why would you think that a newbie that buys all the packages and books Royal excursions is being suckered?