Mosquitoes? Bring bug spray? Nassau, Cozumel, Costa Maya ports

For cruisers who have been to Nassau, Cozumel and Costa Maya recently:

During your time in these ports, did you have any problems with mosquitoes? Did you or anyone with you end up with mosquito bites? Did you apply bug repellent?

No issues for us with mosquitos in Costa Maya (27 March) or Cozumel (28 March). Didn't even consider buying bug repellant. Didn't have Nassau on our itinerary.

I've never seen a mosquito in Cozumel, including a trip to Coba which is in the middle of a lot of wild country and between two still lakes that should be perfect breeding grounds for them. Never seen one at Nassau either.

If you have any concerns brings spray with deet. It is warming and these are tropical environments. There will be mosquitoes. Now if you are on the boat or at the beach you likely won’t see any or many but it is possible. If you do a tour in a jungle or more inland you will likely have them around.

If you are asking just to make sure you are comfortable I wouldn’t worry too much. If it b/c you want to avoid Zika then bring spray.

We were in Costa Maya in October and definitely needed bug spray. The mosquitoes were huge.

Agreed, we were there in October also and just about got carried away while waiting for the taxi to Maya Chan. Once we got to Maya Chan there was no problem. It had rained pretty heavy the day prior so there was a lot of standing water.

Also have not seen mosquitoes in those ports. Maybe since we are there during the day, and not at dusk or day break has something to do with it. Not sure.

I do have bug repellent in the handy pack of wet wipes that I keep with my travel gear in the suitcase...but still have not used them.

The DH did run into them in Roatan, while he was walking through the mangroves...but that was

the only time during the day in a port.

For cruisers who have been to Nassau, Cozumel and Costa Maya recently:

During your time in these ports, did you have any problems with mosquitoes? Did you or anyone with you end up with mosquito bites? Did you apply bug repellent?

We always carry bug repellent. Much easier to be prepared if we do encounter mosquitoes.Zika virus is a concern and can cause issues for both young and old.

I have never seen a single mosquito on any of the Caribbean islands I've been to. Maybe I've been lucky. We were in Costa Maya and Cozumel in November and didn't see any. We did see some other little bugs in Costa Maya. I was in Nassau a year ago and didn't see any there either. It likely depends on where you go. If you are at a beach, and there is anything of a breeze, you won't see them. If you are further inland where there is standing water and/or no breeze, you may find them.

I've bought and brought all sorts of bug stuff/sunscreen, even the Cactus Juice one from Roatan...never needed it, never used it. I have used sunscreen and I think that is way more important, you are closer to the equator in some of those islands and the sun can cook your skin if you're not careful. But no bug bites except once in St. Martin where we got on a beach Bay Rouge where some sand fleas bit us.