Quick 101 for first cruise in/out of Rome, please!

Wishing on a star

We would be flying from the Southeast US to Rome, boarding our 10 day cruise, and disembarking also at Rome.

We def. want to make this as easy as possible, with just maybe even one full day tour of Rome.

We are just not as energetic and adventurous as we used to be!

Thinking of staying at the Hilton at the airport. Should be convenient, airport shuttle, etc. right?

And, using the much recommended taxi/tour company to get to the ship, and for a tour of the highlights of Rome. The Vatican is not a must...

Would it be best to plan to do the day tour when disembarking after the cruise? My first thought was to fly in a couple days early and see Rome. But, now realizing it might work out much better with timing and jet-lag, etc... to do this after the cruise, before then flying out the next day.

Any tips on the long flights and our stay in Rome are much appreciated.

And, it could also be nice to schedule the same tour company while we are in port at Naples as well.

I have been interested in just sightseeing and the Amalfi Coast. That appeals more than Pompeii. Hoping that we would not be missing something that would be better while at Naples?

Thanks!

I wouldn't stay at the airport Hilton upon arrival. Personally I would go into Rome (only a half hour taxi ride from the airport) and stay there, so that you can enjoy dinner and a morning stroll in one of the most fascinating cities in the world before heading to your cruise.

If you don't want to spend that night in Rome then I'd head to Civitavecchia and spend the night there, near the port.

My best tip about getting over the flight is to spend as much time as you can outdoors in fresh air and, hopefully, sunshine. It really does help your body adjust to the time change.

I totally agree with euro cruise, point by point. Rome is so easy to see, even if you go light the first day, and do the full day tour at the end. You really need to absorb Rome. Stay in a hotel in central Rome (many recommended on this board). Stay up and active at least until dark in town. If you stay at the airport, you will be asleep in your hotel chair at 5pm.

The full day tour at the end is good. Get someone like Rome in Limo, have them pick you up at the ship, and then end the tour at the Hilton FCO.

Okay, I am getting your suggestions!

If we were to stay in Rome, can anyone suggest a good, not super pricey, hotel that would put us in a location that would be the least walking to get around, to get some nice Italian food and/or see any nice sights? Stamina and a bad foot could be a factor.

Thanks!

I totally agree with euro cruise, point by point. Rome is so easy to see, even if you go light the first day, and do the full day tour at the end. You really need to absorb Rome. Stay in a hotel in central Rome (many recommended on this board). Stay up and active at least until dark in town. If you stay at the airport, you will be asleep in your hotel chair at 5pm.

The full day tour at the end is good. Get someone like Rome in Limo, have them pick you up at the ship, and then end the tour at the Hilton FCO.

This might be a little bit of piling on but I agree that why stay at the airport when you can stay in Rome.

[quote name=Wishing on a star;55868387.........location that would be the least walking to get around' date=' to get some nice Italian food and/or see any nice sights? Stamina and a bad foot could be a factor.

Thanks![/quote]

Hi,

last year in July we had to make a similar choice. We flew to FCO a day early for our cruise and .....stamina ( connected with age) and also a 'bad foot' were factors.

We took a booked transfer van from the airport to a hotel in Civitavecchia. Nice no rush 1 hour ride. Many restaurants, relaxing afternoon and evening in the port area.. In the morning they shuttled us to the ship and we started our cruise.

Okay, I am getting your suggestions!

If we were to stay in Rome, can anyone suggest a good, not super pricey, hotel that would put us in a location that would be the least walking to get around, to get some nice Italian food and/or see any nice sights? Stamina and a bad foot could be a factor.

Thanks!

I would certainly stay in central Rome and not at the airport. I can't imagine flying half way around the world to one of the loveliest cities in the world and then staying at the airport.

It really is difficult for others to make vague recommendations about hotels. It would be better for you to enter your dates on a booking website and then see what comes up at a cancellable rate. Make a couple of choices within your budget and check recommendations on Trip Advisor. Then come back for more specific comments about location.

I don't think that you have said when you are travelling. That makes a difference in terms of what you can cope with physically. Stamina is better in March than July.

One July that we were in Rome (now DH has retired we go for spring or autumn) we were about 30 minutes walk from the station and we gave up and got a taxi back. You can always do that. It adds to the cost, but at least you are enjoying Rome which is so special

I am looking at hotels that are like, right there, for sites like the Trevi Fountain....

Will be in the Fall. So, no summer heat!!!

We can consider staying at Rome for a couple nights before flying out after the cruise.

We are not going to fore-go enjoying Rome!!! That is part of why would take this trip.

Just trying to figure out the easiest way to do this.

Two hotels that look very updated/clean/modern. (which I would hope for). would be Rome Style... looks very nice... just off a narrow side street... Very tight, so no large pubic area, rooftop bar, etc... And, I would def. enjoy staying right there at the rooms at Harry's... But they are so much more expensive!!! They only have a handful of rooms, and still, at those prices, I am not really seeing sold-out dates, even in busy season. Maybe we can see why!!!

Any other recommendations right in this area would be appreciated!

There are a lot of posts on this forum that give hotel suggestions for the Central Historic area in Rome (known as the Centro Storico). If you search the forum, you may find more but I can give you a few I've used. (Search using "Centro Storico hotels" to get a more targeted set of results...)

I don't know what price range you are looking at, but a really well located hotel I've used a couple of times is 9 Hotel Cesari. It used to be called Albergo Cesari, so you may see some older recommendations that use this name. It is located about equal distance from Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon, both of which are key sites. And it is in an excellent area for the evening with lots of restaurants nearby and fun little streets for walking before or after dinner -- there will be lots of people around, many shops open, etc.

This hotel often has good rates when you book far in advance. In Italy, I've usually found that the best rates are available when going through the hotel itself, not through a middleman agency like hotels.com.

The hotel has a rooftop area where breakfast (included) is served in the morning; it becomes a bar in the evening and a lovely place to relax.

From this hotel, as I said, much is walkable. Just a bit further than Trevi Fountain and you are at the Spanish Steps. Just a bit beyond the Pantheon and you are at Piazza Navona. I find it an easy walk to the Colosseum but that is slightly further. The Vatican is a bit out of the central area and I'd suggest using a taxi to get there -- it is huge as it is and you'll do a lot of walking once you arrive.

Other hotels near the Pantheon where I have stayed (which I consider to be pretty much the absolute center of the historic area of Rome):

Albergo Santa Chiara -- good location; prices not too different from the 9 Hotel Cesari.

Albergo del Senato -- expensive but a true 'experience'

Hotel Navona -- small hotel in a quiet street in between the Pantheon and Piazza Navona -- good prices for the location; rooms are small but modern

By the way, most hotels include breakfast in Rome but do read the rate descriptions carefully. Sometimes a lower rate is offered but it may not include breakfast.