When is the “sweet spot” for getting a deal on upgrade?

We are leaving on Symphony May 6 in a grand suite one bedroom. Called today to see if we could upgrade to an aquatheater or crown loft for a little more money. They had a bunch still open but wanted $2500 more for both a port-facing crown loft and an aquatheater suite. I would be willing to pay $1500 but that’s about it. What are the odds that they will bring those prices down and how late will they most likely do it?

I was just thinking it would be better financially for them to try to fill the pricier suites by getting last minute upgrades than keeping us in the suite we already have. I’m sure they would like to have an extra $1500 than not fill any of the suites. Right now there are a bunch unbooked.

Unless they calll you with an offer you will always pay the difference between the current website pricing and what you paid. There are no deals by calling and asking to upgrade.

I was just hoping they would lower the pricing to try to sell them and we can pay the difference. There was no online pricing. The cruise doesn’t even show up when I search for it so I thought it was sold out. When I called she said they had 8 crown lofts and 2 aquatheater available. Doubt they will sell all of those in a little over 2 weeks but perhaps I’m wrong.

Edited by sydneysmom517
Left out a sentence

I was just hoping they would lower the pricing to try to sell them and we can pay the difference. There was no online pricing. The cruise doesn’t even show up when I search for it so I thought it was sold out. When I called she said they had 8 crown lofts and 2 aquatheater available. Doubt they will sell all of those in a little over 2 weeks but perhaps I’m wrong.

I’m a travel agent and have never been successful calling, even last minute, and trying to make a deal. The only way I’ve seen the deals reported are if they call you. They’ll generally call the lower suites to try to get them into higher suites, then call JS and try to get them info full suites, and so on. This typically happens 2-4 weeks prior to sailing. From what I’ve seen and heard, it is rare for someone in a cabin lower than a JS to get a call for an up sell to a full suite.

From reports I’ve seen, the upsell rate is often less than you’re willing to pay to go from a GS to a CLS, but each sailing is different.

Seems logical however Royal has their own way of doing things. I just checked the TA website and the are 14 interiors, 1 JS and 25 full suites available. I actually saw 3 Aquatheatre suites and 14 Crown Loft.

Is there a way to find out how many suites are still available online or do you have to call? We have 5 people in a 2bedroom grand suite on Symphony July 1st and would love to have more room.

You have to call to get info on any stateroom that has a minimum occupancy requirement of more than 4 guests.

I just checked our May 6th Symphony Cruise and that has 14 crown loft suites and 3 Aquatheatre Suites still available. That’s an awful lot of lost revenue on an early sailing of a brand new ship. That’s about $200,000 of lost revenue based on double occupancy.

Oh and the Royal Loft Suite is available on this and the next sailing. We are doing the B2B and have no problem if they need to free up our Central Park Balcony by offering an upgrade..........

Strange thing is both Cruises show as sold out on booking sites so how are they going to fill them at those prices and at short notice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

We are leaving on Symphony May 6 in a grand suite one bedroom. Called today to see if we could upgrade to an aquatheater or crown loft for a little more money. They had a bunch still open but wanted $2500 more for both a port-facing crown loft and an aquatheater suite. I would be willing to pay $1500 but that’s about it. What are the odds that they will bring those prices down and how late will they most likely do it?

Not sure if there is any pattern to it. I have a balcony booked for Jewel of the seas at the end of June and received an upsell offer to upgrade to a junior suite for $1,000 extra. I declined. Maybe for $500 more but not $1,000. I will be fine with my balcony.

I just checked our May 6th Symphony Cruise and that has 14 crown loft suites and 3 Aquatheatre Suites still available. That’s an awful lot of lost revenue on an early sailing of a brand new ship. That’s about $200,000 of lost revenue based on double occupancy.

Oh and the Royal Loft Suite is available on this and the next sailing. We are doing the B2B and have no problem if they need to free up our Central Park Balcony by offering an upgrade..........

Strange thing is both Cruises show as sold out on booking sites so how are they going to fill them at those prices and at short notice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s my exact point. Getting an extra $1-2K from those of us who have already booked would be better than nothing. Last I checked, $1500 is better than $0! It’s not like I want it for free! And I keep reading that the new ultimate family suite is sold out for the sailings for the next year yet they offered it to me a few weeks ago - $20K no thanks

Edited by sydneysmom517
Forgot a sentence