More fake service dog nonsense

Another example -- dog walking into the dining room and eating another passenger's food. This happened -- it may be many pages back or 1n another thread. It was the painted and specially shaved poodle who just chowed down on another passengers food as s/he was walking through Freedom's MDR.

Wow. Unbelievable. I would have made a serious stink if that happened to me.

Wow. Unbelievable. I would have made a serious stink if that happened to me.

The interesting thing is that "doing the right thing" does not control how rules are enforced, money paid out does. It's the insurance companies that drive change especially if they find themselves paying out a lot of claims.

The event that preceded Delta Airlines issuing changes in what, where and how "support" animals were allowed into the cabin was the attack on a paying customer on one of their flights Nov/Dec by a veteran's 50 pound dog sitting on his lap. After several plastic surgeries and more to come, the payout to the victim could well be in the 6/7 figures. Because I'm in a closed group of Airline employees, though I'm not one, my son was, I know their complaints. A few have been bitten, growled at, jumped on, defecated, urinated in the cabin, by supposedly support animals and they were not happy.

Ramona

Pretty clear to me, and I hope others. Service dogs are welcome in most if not all establishments. Pets are not. Perhaps that is why the manager at the grocery store questioned you. And you report you needed to lie.

M

I don't follow you.

What's a companion dog anyway?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Here in NY I’m pretty sure that animals are never allowed in a grocery store (with the exception of an ada animal). Period. It’s just not sanitary. Same goes for restaurants.
You might want to visit Winter Park, FL.

Very pet friendly. Heck, even Cocoa Beach has pet friendly establishments.

Here in NY I’m pretty sure that animals are never allowed in a grocery store (with the exception of an ada animal). Period. It’s just not sanitary. Same goes for restaurants.

You are correct about New York law. Florida state law also prohibits dogs in grocery stores and restaurants (allowing local discretion in outdoor restaurants for leashed pets.) Only ADA service dogs are exempted in Florida, just like in NY.

Florida state law also declares the use of fake service dogs a second degree misdemeanor punishable by a $500 fine and up to 60 days in jail. It's up to the store/restaurant management to ask the customer the dog's status in Florida, then contact the local authorities to take legal action if the customer does not remove the dog from the premises. (New York is more lenient. The penalty is a $100 fine and up to 15 days in jail.)

Judy

I love pet friendly places! Parks, pet stores (pet smart, etc), dog runs, etc. I take my dog to all of those places! Even sidewalk cafes! I think you’re misunderstanding me. I love pets. Have a cat and dog. Have always had dogs growing up. But I also respect rules and local laws. For some reason, I’ve found that many pet owners think they’re above therules and regulations. I alway see it in the park where it CLEARLY says “all pets must be on a leash.” Yet someone lets their dog run alongside them in the park sans leash...because THEIR dog is well behaved and walks beautifully without a leash. (Insert eye roll)

I can get behind bringing your dog to an outdoor restaurant. But a grocery store? No. An indoor bar/restaurant? No.

I worked in a bar/restaurant in NY. The owner was insanely strict about NOT allowing dogs into the restaurant. He was also hesitant about having them on the porch outside. He was subject to major fines from the health department if they came in unannounced and saw a dog (not an ada animal) in the restaurant. I don’t know why other establishments don’t have that same mentality...and I don’t understand why people think rules don’t apply to them. It’s incredibly selfish.

https://www.bringfido.com/restaurant/city/winter_park_fl_us/

https://www.bringfido.com/attraction/shops/city/winter_park_fl_us/

http://www.wheretraveler.com/orlando/stay/pet-friendly-places-take-your-pooch-orlando

There is a ton of places one can take pets, no wonder Bella smiles

And if you live in other states

http://petfriendlytravel.com/malls

Edited by setsail

I’ve often wondered . . . If they can throw guests who misbehave in the “brig”, do they have a kennel/“brig” for furry passengers who break the rules? If smokers can be fined and charged a fee for extra cleaning, can dog owners be fined for extra clean up services when they pick their own deck to poop on?

I’ve often wondered . . . If they can throw guests who misbehave in the “brig”, do they have a kennel/“brig” for furry passengers who break the rules? If smokers can be fined and charged a fee for extra cleaning, can dog owners be fined for extra clean up services when they pick their own deck to poop on?

Yes, the fine is:

A passenger & their dog can be put off the ship. Passengers have to begin to speak up.

Royal Caribbean Service Animals:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/service-animals

If the service dog's behavior creates a fundamental alteration or a direct threat to safety, the dog may be denied boarding 'or' removed from the ship along with the owner at the guest's expense.

Examples include:

Growling, barking excessively, initiating unsolicited contact, biting other guests and/or crewmembers, failure to use designated relief areas, sitting on furniture, eating from the table, etc.

Royal Caribbean Service Animals:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/service-animals

:cool:

You are correct. Do you think that if Royal just followed its own policies (and the ADA) this thread of complaints about fake service dogs might not exist?;)

Their current policy is actually fine. It upholds the ADA, but it also seems to uphold the right of all passengers to enjoy a cruise equally. They just need to tighten it up a bit and follow it. They could weed out the fake service dogs pretty quickly if they did.

For example, under Title III of the ADA, a public accommodation (like a hotel or cruise line) is obligated to provide a designated toilet area for the service dog, but it is still the owner's responsibility (not the cruise line or hotel) to clean up after the dog. So my idea is that maybe Royal should tweak existing policy, still strictly adhering to ADA, and put the toilet box full of cypress mulch in each dog owner's cabin. It's more convenient there for both the person and the dog anyway. A container of new mulch and some poop bags with a disposal container for the dog waste and used mulch would be provided so the guest could fulfill his legal obligation to clean up after his dog. If the guest chose not to uphold the law by fulfilling his responsibility, or if the dog chose not to use the designated area, Royal's policy already says they can be removed from the ship. The ADA says it too.

Just an idea...:)

Judy

Great idea, Judy -- but not ADA compliant. If the non-ADA certified "comfort-companion-emotional support pets" owners had to sleep with "the box" and clean it daily, they would think twice about bringing their pets on board. But then again, if they are not ADA certified, then they should not be allowed on board. There are other ways to vacation with a pet that is more enjoyable for the pet you supposedly care so much about.

Great idea, Judy -- but not ADA compliant. If the non-ADA certified "comfort-companion-emotional support pets" owners had to sleep with "the box" and clean it daily, they would think twice about bringing their pets on board. But then again, if they are not ADA certified, then they should not be allowed on board. There are other ways to vacation with a pet that is more enjoyable for the pet you supposedly care so much about.

There is no such thing as an "ADA certified" service animal. There is no ADA certification.

There are other reasons besides the ADA why the ship is responsible for handling dog waste and not the passengers.

As I've said many times when this topic comes up, CLIA needs to step up and make an industry wide "service animal code of conduct", which under "Spector v NCL" can be more stringent than the ADA regarding shipboard policies and procedures, but I don't see this happening until there is an injury to a passenger from a non-service animal.

Oh my goodness!!! I certainly would be embarrassed to post that photo, WOW!

The picture & the words written above the photo screams ENTITLEMENT loudly.

Sheesh..

:eek:

It's not me . But it was posted on a cruise app yesterday. I'd never take my dogs on holiday, much less a cruise.

You guys are just jealous of all my fluffy support

5wmu79.jpg

To member Cru-zin,

This is not my post. See above, the members name?

The original post is located at post #414.

Or tap on the blue circle next to the members name above to take you to their original post.

:rolleyes: