More fake service dog nonsense

The issue is not those that need a wheel chair between gates due to distance or time. It is those that say that they cannot board without a wheel chair, even during the early boarding for those that need extra time (no line present). Yet once the plane lands, off they come without a chair. Walk right down to baggage claim and off they go. Those are the folks that consume the resources and help and make it difficult for the resources to be available for those that really need it.

It’s a sad that people take things for granted. Those people should be grateful that they can walk and not abuse the resources.

My former boss’ brother was disable. It took the entire family to care for him for many years. I remember he often said to us “it’s a wonderful thing to be normal.”

Only those who have disabled loved ones understand. Simple thing such as ability to walk, to speak or to take care for self seems like a normal thing for many, but for some, it’s impossible.

Life is too short. Be thankful of what we have.

Edited by botbien

I am one of those at the boarding gate in a wheelchair. I walk with a cane and the longer and further I go, the slower and more painful the walk. I simply cannot get from gate to gate in the time allowed. I do not get magically well during the flight; the pain of the arthritis in my back, knees and hands is eternal. Some days are better if I get lots of rest, which is why I cruise, though only on the smaller ships. The Lange ones are too exhaustingly long with the handicapped rooms usually at the opposite end as the dining options.

Hi Roadburner. We travel with a good friend who also needs wheelchair assistance legitimately. Hopefully you understand my comment was only about the bad apples.

And anyone can buy a harness that you describe

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes anyone can buy these items, just like anyone can buy law enforcement lights and decals. It is not a crime to purchase them, it is to use them unless you are law enforcement or unless real service animal. But the rules also do not say a service animal must have them, owners choice.

I agree with you that the dog in the picture is likely simply a pet. However, there is no legal requirement to have a harness or vest. I have seen plenty of true service dogs that do not wear vests or harnesses, whether out of economics or choice.

I Agree, but what chengkp75 didn't say and I will is the Wounded Warrior Project is no real authority on anything especially Veterans. .but they are good in Somewhat Misleading the American Donor....in my Opinion

Mike

Edited by mpdog42
SPELLING

It’s a sad that people take things for granted. Those people should be grateful that they can walk and not abuse the resources.

My former boss’ brother was disable. It took the entire family to care for him for many years. I remember he often said to us “it’s a wonderful thing to be normal.”

Only those who have disabled loved ones understand. Simple thing such as ability to walk, to speak or to take care for self seems like a normal thing for many, but for some, it’s impossible.

Life is too short. Be thankful of what we have.

Getting to a gate on time is difficult for some folks with health issues that impede their mobility. Once at destination, they won’t be rushed on their way out of the airport. I don’t use wheelchair assistance but sometimes use early boarding. I have Juvenile RA and while walking is best to keep me from getting too stiff in my joints, I don’t like to slow others down during their boarding process. And being bumped by fellow passengers is painful when travel days are already difficult on me. On some trips I can charge through O’Hare with the best of them, while on others, I flag down an electric cart that gives rides people with disabilities. My feet will feel like 100 legos are in each shoe and the shoe is made of concrete. I will gladly trade my condition with anyone who passes judgment.

I hope people are patient and stop judging if someone’s disability is not easily seen. After all, disability is the one discriminated class anyone can join at any time. Appreciate your health, but if others’ health concerns you so much, find empathy instead of judgment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know people who are fully capable of walking but they "game" the system by using walkers on public transportation; access wheelchairs for access to planes early; etc. When in conversations to ask why they do it, it's all for selfish reasons. I'm the same age or younger than them yet I would never dare to sign for a package that hasn't been delivered and I hope never will.

Ramona

Getting to a gate on time is difficult for some folks with health issues that impede their mobility. Once at destination, they won’t be rushed on their way out of the airport. I don’t use wheelchair assistance but sometimes use early boarding. I have Juvenile RA and while walking is best to keep me from getting too stiff in my joints, I don’t like to slow others down during their boarding process. And being bumped by fellow passengers is painful when travel days are already difficult on me. On some trips I can charge through O’Hare with the best of them, while on others, I flag down an electric cart that gives rides people with disabilities. My feet will feel like 100 legos are in each shoe and the shoe is made of concrete. I will gladly trade my condition with anyone who passes judgment.

I hope people are patient and stop judging if someone’s disability is not easily seen. After all, disability is the one discriminated class anyone can join at any time. Appreciate your health, but if others’ health concerns you so much, find empathy instead of judgment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

WoodsDrive,

I don’t think that people, myself included, have any issues with people with disabilities. The point is some people are capable, but still use the wheelchair service, just like those bring their pets on a cruise even if they are not service dogs. That’s my point.

Only those who abuse the resources know who they are. If you need assistance due to your health condition, you should do what you need to do for your well-being. There is no need to worry what other people think. People are entitled for their own opinions. You can’t control what other people think, so why bother.

If you don’t do anything wrong, there is nothing to worry about. That’s it.

I wish you best of luck and happy cruising.

WoodsDrive,

I don’t think that people, myself included, have any issues with people with disabilities. The point is some people are capable, but still use the wheelchair service, just like those bring their pets on a cruise even if they are not service dogs. That’s my point.

Only those who abuse the resources know who they are. If you need assistance due to your health condition, you should do what you need to do for your well-being. There is no need to worry what other people think. People are entitled for their own opinions. You can’t control what other people think, so why bother.

If you don’t do anything wrong, there is nothing to worry about. That’s it.

I wish you best of luck and happy cruising.

Totally agree and well stated! Sick of the entitled thinking buffy needs to cruise with them. And if they are so fragile that they can't make it a week without fido stay home. Tired of smelling dog pee and crap around the running track!

Just got off Harmony today. I had to listen to a dog bark for over 30 minutes.8:30 till 9 am... Complained to guest services... guess what ??? !!! That same night I was awakened at 3 AM for another half hour barking session. This “service” dog was about 10 balcony cabins away.. ridiculous!!! I have no problem with TRAINED ADA service dogs. But this emotional support stuff is ridiculous.. I could get my 70 lb coonhound certified online...😳 This one person made about 20 cabins completely miserable. I cannot imagine being in the cabins DIRECTLY next to them !!! And why put a barking dog on the balcony at 3 AM ???? People are just stupid!!!

And having a dog climb all over the furniture by the pool was kinda gross...

WOW! This happened on Harmony of the Seas?!??!? This cruise coming up will most likely be my last with Royal Caribbean. This is insane foolishness....

I don't see them enforcing this either, name one thing they actually enforce! We spent two weeks on Oasis last August and dogs were a common sight. Their "poop" station is down on the running track, a wood framed box filled with litter. It does smell and I feel for the crew that has to clean it. Several guest allowed their dogs to pee on anything down on that deck, as if it were ok. And as I rounded the aft corner on my run one morning a dog was pooping not in the box but on the side of the track. The owner just looked at me as I went by. On my next lap the owner and dog were gone but the poop was left behind. This support animal thing has been taken advantage of big time. We have a family member with Epilespy and has a great service dog. The dog can actually sense a seizure coming and warns everyone. That is what a real service dog is. But those that bring their "emotional needs" service animal aboard is just unreal. What's next a support pig, hamster, cat, peacock? If we see this proliferate like it is on airlines we will choose other cruise lines that do not allow animals or at least strictly enforce what a service dog is. Unless you really need a service animal, please leave buffy at home!

I am totally BAFFLED that RCI has peoples' pets crapping on those nice cruise ships! The feces can lead to health issues onboard. Yuck! Now I am not looking forward to this latest cruise, and it's too late to get a refund!!! :(:(

WOW! This happened on Harmony of the Seas?!??!? This cruise coming up will most likely be my last with Royal Caribbean. This is insane foolishness....

I am totally BAFFLED that RCI has peoples' pets crapping on those nice cruise ships! The feces can lead to health issues onboard. Yuck! Now I am not looking forward to this latest cruise, and it's too late to get a refund!!! :(:(

This is a rather odd reaction. Such happenings are rare. Chill out.

on NOS now and an entitled buffoon walking around w his dog under his arm encouraging people to pet the dog. Not even one of those Amazon vests or pretending it’s a service dog. Got in an elevator w us and puts dog in my sons face. No thanks. Not sure who smelt worse the dog or the guy. Stay home w your “pets” not everyone thinks it’s cute. RCI really needs to get a backbone about this

I have to tell you, I’d rather cruise with dogs then a bunch of screaming brats. Not everyone thinks kids are “cute”.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

on NOS now and an entitled buffoon walking around w his dog under his arm encouraging people to pet the dog. Not even one of those Amazon vests or pretending it’s a service dog. Got in an elevator w us and puts dog in my sons face. No thanks. Not sure who smelt worse the dog or the guy. Stay home w your “pets” not everyone thinks it’s cute. RCI really needs to get a backbone about this

Agree. RCI will eventually have to deal with it so they might as well do so sooner than later before they drive people to cruise lines that have stricter policies. The negative effects of the entitled mentality is now infecting the cruise world!

The pervasive attitude of condemning others who cannot stand the bogus "assist" dog does not work anymore. The worn out statement that "I just ignore stuff" does not work anymore. The phony paperwork has got to be addressed by RCI. The lack of certified documentation and the expectations of service or support dogs should be enough for RCI to finally stand behind the passengers who willingly live by the contract they agreed to when they paid for their cruise.....It is time to say no more. It may there their cruise but it is MINE TOO!!!

Just off a four night British Columbia cruise on the Explorer. My time on my aft balcony was frequently interrupted by the barking of a dog out on the balcony a few doors down. Never heard the owners trying to tell the pup to quiet down. Silly me. I too thought that service dogs were trained not to bark unnecessarily. Guess I am wrong. :)

Hope you can access this: I took a photo with my phone of the NYC (New York City) regulations for allowing service dogs (if you can, read the lower right section): ?v=photos&cid=50B7528CA4312851&locationFilter=United%20States%09NY%09Brooklyn&id=50B7528CA4312851%2125698&parId=root&parQt=allmyphotos&o=OneUp

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOCRcvRMA_FxG3K0-6vt1aYziLWePP5e2SItzEm

Opps. You may have to have a Google/Gmail Account to see. I'll try to figure this out.

Ramona

REAL service dogs are well trained and do not bark, except as necessary to alert their person. For example, I know a woman who has petit mal seizures and her dog barks twice to alert her when he senses a seizure coming on. When he barks two staccato barks, she knows she must sit down or lie down. (And anytime you see her out with her dog, he will be wearing a service vest to indicate he is working and not to be petted or otherwise messed with by dog lovers.) There are many reasons for a trained service dog to bark as a warning or an alert, but it would never be a prolonged period of barking unless the person died or had some kind of terrible accident. If I heard an alleged service dog barking on a ship, I'd assume the dog was working and call 911 and Security immediately to get emergency help to that person's cabin.

REAL service dogs do amazing things to assist their owners and enable people with disabilities and serious medical issues to be independent and more fully enjoy their lives, doing things such as cruising. Unfortunately even service dogs do have 'doggie needs' and, of course, they need a doggie bathroom area. I have no issue with this part, although I realize it creates a constant cleaning task for crew, and there may be times when I'm walking the track and I might smell fresh dog stuff in the bathroom box. A service dog has been taught the realities of doggie bathrooms, is well trained, and will use the proper place with a minimum of fuss. But not all dogs on ships are true service dogs, and not all respect the doggie bathroom area. (I suspect the ones that don't are the ones that aren't really service dogs. I have seen/smelled some dog stuff in other places on ships.:()

My objection is not to service dogs. I think service dogs are awesome. I spent many years during my career working with both professionals and clients who used service dogs. Many times I have driven my colleagues/clients with blindness and/or medical issues who used dogs and who could not drive to various meetings/conferences/public hearings we needed to go to, and the dog rode with us.

I am not really a dog person. I don't hate dogs, I just don't personally choose to be close to them. Some dogs make me sneeze when I'm around them, some have bad manners and jump up on me without my permission, some dogs scare/repulse me, and I think a lot of dogs smell bad and have bad breath, so it was not easy for me to welcome a dog of any kind into my vehicle. However I did, and there was never a problem. No service dog ever did anything wrong in my car. All behaved perfectly. I have great respect for service animals and I suspect some of them may be more intelligent than I am.:o

My objection is to the FAKE service animals. Oh wait...now that I pause to think about it...my objection is not really to the fake service animals, my objection is really to the obnoxious/oblivious/selfish people who lie to bring them aboard, forcing them into a foreign environment that the animal cannot handle. We now have one happy cruiser (Woo Hoo! I got to bring my purse dog!), one anxiety riddled purse dog (Gotta bark, gotta bark, gotta bark bark bark) and a bunch of unhappy cruisers who must endure the barking. So maybe I don't hate the purse dog, I hate the woman with the purse.:confused:

I've never had to endure a prolonged period of barking on a cruise. If I did, I would not call Guest Services. I would call 911 and Security and send Emergency Medical Services plus Security to the cabin where the barking was coming from. Repeatedly. Every time I heard the barking. As a retired professional who worked with people with disabilities, I know that REAL service dogs only bark continuously when there is an emergency.

And now you know it too....call 911 and Security, not Guest Services.;)

If a service dog is continuously barking, there must be a DREADFUL emergency...so wake 'em up and send 'em out.

Happy Cruising'....

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich
  • Like 1

REAL service dogs are well trained and do not bark, except as necessary to alert their person. For example, I know a woman who has petit mal seizures and her dog barks twice to alert her when he senses a seizure coming on. When he barks two staccato barks, she knows she must sit down or lie down. (And anytime you see her out with her dog, he will be wearing a service vest to indicate he is working and not to be petted or otherwise messed with by dog lovers.) There are many reasons for a trained service dog to bark as a warning or an alert, but it would never be a prolonged period of barking unless the person died or had some kind of terrible accident. If I heard an alleged service dog barking on a ship, I'd assume the dog was working and call 911 and Security immediately to get emergency help to that person's cabin.

REAL service dogs do amazing things to assist their owners and enable people with disabilities and serious medical issues to be independent and more fully enjoy their lives, doing things such as cruising. Unfortunately even service dogs do have 'doggie needs' and, of course, they need a doggie bathroom area. I have no issue with this part, although I realize it creates a constant cleaning task for crew, and there may be times when I'm walking the track and I might smell fresh dog stuff in the bathroom box. A service dog has been taught the realities of doggie bathrooms, is well trained, and will use the proper place with a minimum of fuss. But not all dogs on ships are true service dogs, and not all respect the doggie bathroom area. (I suspect the ones that don't are the ones that aren't really service dogs. I have seen/smelled some dog stuff in other places on ships.:()

My objection is not to service dogs. I think service dogs are awesome. I spent many years during my career working with both professionals and clients who used service dogs. Many times I have driven my colleagues/clients with blindness and/or medical issues who used dogs and who could not drive to various meetings/conferences/public hearings we needed to go to, and the dog rode with us.

I am not really a dog person. I don't hate dogs, I just don't personally choose to be close to them. Some dogs make me sneeze when I'm around them, some have bad manners and jump up on me without my permission, some dogs scare/repulse me, and I think a lot of dogs smell bad and have bad breath, so it was not easy for me to welcome a dog of any kind into my vehicle. However I did, and there was never a problem. No service dog ever did anything wrong in my car. All behaved perfectly. I have great respect for service animals and I suspect some of them may be more intelligent than I am.:o

My objection is to the FAKE service animals. Oh wait...now that I pause to think about it...my objection is not really to the fake service animals, my objection is really to the obnoxious/oblivious/selfish people who lie to bring them aboard, forcing them into a foreign environment that the animal cannot handle. We now have one happy cruiser (Woo Hoo! I got to bring my purse dog!), one anxiety riddled purse dog (Gotta bark, gotta bark, gotta bark bark bark) and a bunch of unhappy cruisers who must endure the barking. So maybe I don't hate the purse dog, I hate the woman with the purse.:confused:

I've never had to endure a prolonged period of barking on a cruise. If I did, I would not call Guest Services. I would call 911 and Security and send Emergency Medical Services plus Security to the cabin where the barking was coming from. Repeatedly. Every time I heard the barking. As a retired professional who worked with people with disabilities, I know that REAL service dogs only bark continuously when there is an emergency.

And now you know it too....call 911 and Security, not Guest Services.;)

If a service dog is continuously barking, there must be a DREADFUL emergency...so wake 'em up and send 'em out.

Happy Cruising'....

Judy

(y)

I will definately have to remember this.