More fake service dog nonsense

Just got off Harmony today. I had to listen to a dog bark for over 30 minutes.8:30 till 9 am... Complained to guest services... guess what ??? !!! That same night I was awakened at 3 AM for another half hour barking session. This “service” dog was about 10 balcony cabins away.. ridiculous!!! I have no problem with TRAINED ADA service dogs. But this emotional support stuff is ridiculous.. I could get my 70 lb coonhound certified online...😳 This one person made about 20 cabins completely miserable. I cannot imagine being in the cabins DIRECTLY next to them !!! And why put a barking dog on the balcony at 3 AM ???? People are just stupid!!!

And having a dog climb all over the furniture by the pool was kinda gross...

It’s all about one’s consideration for others.

Some kids/ adults are allergic to dogs/ cats. They will have problem breathing if being too close to these pets. Even if it’s a true service dog, the owner should be considered of others by not putting the dog to everyone’s face.

My husband and I have 2 children, now 16 and 11 years old. My kids wanted to have a dog for several years, and we finally adopted a puppy last summer from a local animal shelter when my son’s allergies significantly reduced. When he was younger, every time he got too close to a dog/ cat, he would start squeezing and followed by an asthma attack.

We have Mochi (our lovely dog) for a year now. We love him so much and don’t want him to be separated from us but we already registered him with a pet boarding place during our cruise this summer. It’s costly, but it’s necessary.

We do not even think about bringing him on a cruiseship with us... never, for everyone’s and our dog’s sake.

Edited by botbien

The easiest thing would be to force a service dog owner to register the dog at the following agency in the link below.

http://usdogregistry.org/

Then you would need to fax or e-mail the certificate to the cruise line showing the proof that your dog is a service dog. Logically you would also bring a copy with you to the ship in case of a snafu. and the dog would wear the vest provided by the agency with its logo clearly in sight. Buying a fake on Amazon and trying to pass it off as the real thing would be a federal crime. Of course you would still need to keep your dog under control.

No proof no dog on the ship.

How simple is that.

The easiest thing would be to force a service dog owner to register the dog at the following agency in the link below.

http://usdogregistry.org/

Then you would need to fax or e-mail the certificate to the cruise line showing the proof that your dog is a service dog. Logically you would also bring a copy with you to the ship in case of a snafu. and the dog would wear the vest provided by the agency with its logo clearly in sight. Buying a fake on Amazon and trying to pass it off as the real thing would be a federal crime. Of course you would still need to keep your dog under control.

No proof no dog on the ship.

How simple is that.

That organization is just another of the sites that provide "documentation" for service animals, however, if you read the FAQ's, "There are no applications to fill out and you do not need a doctor’s note." So, anyone can buy this registration for any dog, which means that this "registration" is meaningless. This is no different from buying "a fake on Amazon".

That organization is just another of the sites that provide "documentation" for service animals, however, if you read the FAQ's, "There are no applications to fill out and you do not need a doctor’s note." So, anyone can buy this registration for any dog, which means that this "registration" is meaningless. This is no different from buying "a fake on Amazon".

Then an agency needs to be created to enforce the animals that are legit and fine the ones that aren't. Or make this agency require a doctor's scrip to get the package. But even the backhanded thought or idea that all service dogs should be banned because of the few fakes is cruel and inhuman. And I'm not saving that YOU feel that way I'm just saying that in general.

Then an agency needs to be created to enforce the animals that are legit and fine the ones that aren't. Or make this agency require a doctor's scrip to get the package. But even the backhanded thought or idea that all service dogs should be banned because of the few fakes is cruel and inhuman. And I'm not saving that YOU feel that way I'm just saying that in general.

The problem is that the ADA specifically prohibits any registration, so you would need Congress to amend the law. I have no problem with service animals, and worked as ADA compliance officer on cruise ships. In my personal opinion, CLIA needs to step up and formulate a "service animal code of conduct" just like they do for passengers. Since the SCOTUS ruling in Spector v NCL stated that foreign flag cruise ship's "internal policies and procedures" fall outside the purview of the ADA, this kind of behavior restriction, or restriction on various areas of ships would not be illegal, but it would require several lawsuits before "Spector's" more little known provisions become known to the point that the lines don't have to spend a lot of money defending against these frivolous suits.

The problem is that the ADA specifically prohibits any registration, so you would need Congress to amend the law. I have no problem with service animals, and worked as ADA compliance officer on cruise ships. In my personal opinion, CLIA needs to step up and formulate a "service animal code of conduct" just like they do for passengers. Since the SCOTUS ruling in Spector v NCL stated that foreign flag cruise ship's "internal policies and procedures" fall outside the purview of the ADA, this kind of behavior restriction, or restriction on various areas of ships would not be illegal, but it would require several lawsuits before "Spector's" more little known provisions become known to the point that the lines don't have to spend a lot of money defending against these frivolous suits.

Ah, that sheds a lot of light on the subject. Leave it to the government to try to help but screw it up all in the same process.

I somehow screwed up my post on NBC Breaking News I received on my iPhone.Apparently there is a Nationide crackdown on fake service animals. 21 states have already toughened their laws. Also Arizona State Senator John Kavanagh sponsored a bill last month that became law slapping a $250-fine on people falsely misrepresenting their pets as service animals.IMO, it’s just a matter of time before cruise lines will require some sort of documentation.I wonder what the Disney theme parks do?

The senior senator from North Carolina (my state), Richard Burr, filed a bill on 4/24 (the following is from his official web page):

Today, Senator Richard Burr introduced legislation to align the definition of a “service animal” under the Air Carriers Access Act (ACAA) with the definition under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), establish a criminal penalty for making misrepresentations about a service animal, and require federal agencies to establish a standard of service animal behavior training for animals who will be working on an aircraft.

There was a real service animal on Grandeur last cruise with a blind cruiser. Obviously well trained. No issues with it at all.

That is how it should be. A well trained dog,and someone who definitely benefits from the dog. I donate to Paws with a Cause. They spend a ton of time in preparing their service animal dogs... if there is any problem with that animal, they “fail” and become pets. So a dog barking nonstop for a half hour is definitely not a trained service dog. I also have been on many cruises with trained service dogs. One of them was a blind man also. Those dogs behaved better than some of the guests:confused:

I have friends who are FAs...they call those wheelchair roll ins to running out the doors "In Flight Miracles." ROFL

I agree completely, it does not matter the size of the dog it can still be a service/comfort dog. I am not saying I agree with people abusing this, but it seems people in the U.S. specifically, push things to the furthest possible to get what they want. I was on a flight once from FLL to DTW and about 26 people needed to have a wheelchair to board, but it was amazing how many in that 3 hour flight had no problem walking off the plane because they did not want to wait for the wheelchair on landing. I even mentioned it to the flight attendants and they said it was a joke, most do it to board first and the airline gets charged for that service. Which guess who ends up paying for that in the end?

Just saw a dog on oasis last week. It was a white little lap dog dressed in pink. The woman was in an electric wheelchair and the dog rode around on her lap all week. Even saw her taking her dog to the big litter box on the back of the boat on the jogging track. Of course she was going the wrong way against the runners and joggers.

never saw the dog miss behave but it sure as heck was not a real service animal. And she sure loved the attention as people would come up and pet the dog. Don’t these people know they’re just feeding the birds.

Terrible people that bring fake service dogs should be put off the ship in foreign countries, it's the only way they will learn

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

I agree fake service animals should not be on ships but if the people have the correct paperwork really not much we as guest can do.

But I do find the fact that you want to throw people off the ship to be strange. How would you react to a post that change fake service dogs to drunk passengers? If anyone posted

"Terrible people that get drunk on the ship should be put off the ship in foreign countries, it's the only way they will learn"

Does that seem like something a cruise line should be able to do? Or change "people that get drunk" to "out of control children & the parents". If the cruise lines starting throwing off passengers for these types of things, the ships would be empty. It really takes a lot to be put off a cruise ship as it should.

I agree fake service animals should not be on ships but if the people have the correct paperwork really not much we as guest can do.

The problem is that there is no such thing as "correct paperwork." There is no true, legitimate, central "registry" for service animals, but there are many websites from which one can get a fake certificate.